Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 458640 times)

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2500 on: November 08, 2017, 05:34:32 am »
Now that pictureframe is a good idea for these great photo's.
I was so glad to see your posts today as I missed Tom's story and pics.
Thank you for everything you are doing for Tom and us following this thread, you are a star.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Online woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2501 on: November 08, 2017, 06:52:49 am »
Danki Ri, dankie Tom. Weereens pragtige fotos.
Met 'n LEKKER span is dit 'n jol op die eilande.  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Ri

« Reply #2502 on: November 11, 2017, 06:16:18 am »
Hello WDs

Not a lot to report as we are currently busy cutting grass and doing a bit of maintenance work in and around the base.
I did however do a few quick walks, sometimes only an hour out and back but it is good for the soul.
Yesterday afternoon after work Santjie said she will quickly go with me because I wanted to check on a Brown Noddy nest near Prion cave.
The nest is still abandoned but I hope they will return soon.
Herewith just a picture or 2 at the top of the waterfall and then a starry sky.

Have a great weekend!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2503 on: November 11, 2017, 01:44:04 pm »
Hello Wd friends!  :thumleft:

I have started early morning already to try and open this thread (site) and thought maybe it's now locked/blocked' on our server but then I could also not open commonly visited sites which are given priority like 'YR'
https://www.yr.no/place/Saint_Helena/Tristan_da_Cunha/Gough_Island/

We prefer to get our weather data from the above link because like I have said before; Although this is a meteorological and scientific base we do not have 'fore casters' and only do the data/research

So finally I managed to get the 'reply' button to work and the page opened to show the 'post' button which is normally (past weeks) missing.

However once again I want to thank Ri for always helping with anything....or rather everything!  :thumleft: Thank you so much for keeping the site alive Ri and I hope that the issues there are will be resolved soon because I also like to follow some other threads which are my favorites like the 'Zog's and the Garage and rebuild sections and so on. For now I am keeping myself busy with the digital reader, the Classic (and other) motorcycle magazines and photography.
Ri has also helped (again) with a parcel at number 99 (again) to be sent on the Geo Searcher - I think the deadline to get anything on the ship was Friday and it is always a couple of days before they sail because of customs and regulations.
Thank you once again Ri, words cannot always express the real gratitude but know I do appreciate from the heart!

Now I hope that when I click 'post' this will actually post.

Got a few pictures this morning of baby Scuas and baby Gough Moorhen. Will mail to Ri for upload maybe next week!
Have a great weekend!  :thumleft:

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #2504 on: November 11, 2017, 03:35:37 pm »
Lekker Tom bly jy nog aan die gang en kan darm so nou en dan iets se hier  :spitcoffee:
sterkte met jou rug hoop jy kry die ou rug weer aan die gang  :biggrin:
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2505 on: November 12, 2017, 02:28:11 am »
I can tell from your writing that you are in a good place in your head Tom.

Thats good, very good. And not too long now and you'll be getting on the boat and heading home.

I'm glad my good friend is doing better now.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Ri

« Reply #2506 on: November 12, 2017, 09:29:43 pm »
Errr... ermmm... uhhhhh.... about that parcel...

So Wednesday night I pick up a gastro virus that has my insides out within about 2 hours - cramps, vomiting, the lot. Thursday I manage to drag my ravaged body around to pick up the last of the things for the package, then head off to ER for a bit of TLC in the form of a painful drip of antibiotics, painkillers, replacement fluids and a snooze in Day Care while they take care of all the lesser ailments in ER.

Friday I manage to get as far as the Postnet for extra wrapping for the package, when my contacts generously inform me that no further rushing is necessary, and I'm welcome to bring the stuff in on Monday, as there have been other delays.

So the parcel is parked in front of the door ready to be loaded and delivered, and I'm looking at it and wondering: can I shove in another bottle of wine...?

As promised, some photo's from Tom

Offline Ri

« Reply #2507 on: November 12, 2017, 09:45:33 pm »
More beautiful photo's:

Offline Ri

« Reply #2508 on: November 12, 2017, 09:46:20 pm »
Last two:

Online woody1

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2509 on: November 13, 2017, 06:57:39 am »
Raak net beter

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Ri

« Reply #2510 on: November 13, 2017, 01:02:29 pm »
I raced over to the V&A Waterfront this morning to drop off Tom's last package. They've confirmed that it was picked up by the Geo Searcher captain, and they're ready to sale sail soon.

Almost home time, Tom! Vasbyt, min dae :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:02:50 pm by Ri »

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline Ri

« Reply #2511 on: November 13, 2017, 09:05:51 pm »
Just a small post :)

The Antarctic terns are one of my special seabirds. They are a bit noisy but they are just so energetic and filled with character. Also not standing back for the Scuas and scare the Scuas away by working together. Normally 3 and more and they seemingly bite the Scuas in flight while making loud calls. Very maneuverable and then they also dive into the Ocean to fish but best of all;  they share the catch with each other (think partner) and also feed the young and then slowly learn them to dive as well.

It may seem to be easy to capture them on camera as I have posted so many pictures of them with a fish in the beak but it is actually not easy at all and one need to go through a bit of effort to find a spot and then hide (not really hide but sit very still) and wait for the right moment. Sometimes there is a lot of shade and one needs to bump the ISO which in result crate noise and not always fixable in post processing but this is how I learn. Very enjoyable exercise especially when I happen to get fair results. On the way back I got a Great Shearwater as it was about to exit its burrow and I got a fair pic as well.

Bye for now  :biggrin:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2512 on: November 16, 2017, 11:16:39 am »
I managed to log in with Tapatalk.

No  spellcheck here so I  hope it is ok but atleast I can post!

Yes the ship is heading to Tristan da Cunha Island and soon after to us. I needed some things to make my life easier like Anchor dressings (almost like a bandaid with 4 legs) and some nail  brushes which I put trough stetelising in the auto clave and then I  can scrub nasty wounds like seal bites (if need be) Also some tekkies (running shoes) as they are best to wear in base and on the catwalks and food store. Was repairing the old ones a few times but they are just on the end of their life.

Still no  news on when I will be back but hoping for March. Geo Searcher come down in January and go back March. So I'll wait it out and make the most of it. Want to go to the Penguin colony and take photos of the babies. I have already recieved the camera from Xpat this time around a year back and got great pics of Northen Rockhoppers but all in Jpeg, so I need to get  a lot more good Raw pics. The weather is  better now but the wind is pumping today.

Hope to update the thread or I'll do through Ri. Thanks for the help Ri, I really do appreciate this!👍

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

Offline Ri

« Reply #2513 on: November 16, 2017, 11:22:35 am »
 :thumleft: Always glad to help.

It's so quiet here when you're not around  :peepwall:

Online woody1

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2514 on: November 16, 2017, 11:40:58 am »
Sjuuuuut.. moenie Tommie wakker maak nie. As hy eers begin praat kry jy hom nie stil nie . :laughing4:

Offline Ri

« Reply #2515 on: November 16, 2017, 12:24:00 pm »
Sjuuuuut.. moenie Tommie wakker maak nie. As hy eers begin praat kry jy hom nie stil nie . :laughing4:
:lol8: :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2516 on: November 16, 2017, 04:17:25 pm »
:lol8: :lol8:

:-[  :imaposer:

Yes when I a hungry for conversation I can make ears ring  :imaposer: :imaposer: I can recall just before I came to Gough I visited Woody1 and his wife and it was just before the 1000 bike show. We were sitting infront of that lekker 'fire place' and talking about the 'good old days' and the next minute we checked it was midnight!

I was just as hungry for conversation early this year when National Geograpic came to visit us and although I took the catering on for the guests I just could not say goodnight....I was up till the morning hours with George from Tristan da Cunha (we shared a bottle of wine....maybe more  :-[ ) and I was up early to make hamburgers and breakfast for the visitors and though I'll do a power nap in the afternoon but that never happened. The excitement fueled me with energy and Tom was on a roll  :laughing4:

Let me see if I can manage to attach a pic of bread I baked the other day for the team:

Online woody1

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2517 on: November 16, 2017, 04:19:07 pm »
Ek se mos. :imaposer:
.. maar ons sal aanhou luister en kuier.  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

« Reply #2518 on: November 16, 2017, 09:25:38 pm »

Yes when I a hungry for conversation I can make ears ring  :imaposer: :imaposer: I can recall just before I came to Gough I visited Woody1 and his wife and it was just before the 1000 bike show. We were sitting infront of that lekker 'fire place' and talking about the 'good old days' and the next minute we checked it was midnight!

I was just as hungry for conversation early this year when National Geograpic came to visit us and although I took the catering on for the guests I just could not say goodnight....I was up till the morning hours with George from Tristan da Cunha (we shared a bottle of wine....maybe more  :-[ ) and I was up early to make hamburgers and breakfast for the visitors and though I'll do a power nap in the afternoon but that never happened. The excitement fueled me with energy and Tom was on a roll  :laughing4:

Let me see if I can manage to attach a pic of bread I baked the other day for the team:

Please... please be referring to more bottles of wine... :o  :imaposer:

Ek love daardie laaste foto van "Happy Feet"  :biggrin:  Ons moet dalk 'n paar Gough kalenders ook print. Jy het soveel materiaal, jy sal nuwes kan uitgee vir nog jare!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2519 on: November 17, 2017, 01:03:02 am »

Please... please be referring to more bottles of wine... :o  :imaposer:

Ek love daardie laaste foto van "Happy Feet"  :biggrin:  Ons moet dalk 'n paar Gough kalenders ook print. Jy het soveel materiaal, jy sal nuwes kan uitgee vir nog jare!

:dousing: pok I know I have been here on the island for quite a while but yes, it was indeed only more wine  :imaposer:
My English (I hope) is a bit better since I have arrived here just over a year ago, but sometimes it is evident that I am just an Irish Dutchman  :3some: :imaposer:
Speaking of a Calendar; I sometimes (like yesterday) need to refer to my calendar in the clinic when I see a patient to note the date in the patient treatment register. I also did not bring a wrist watch with me this year much to my annoyance and every time I have asked for something to be shipped to me I forgot to buy a watch. Yes we live in an era where we get all the information on cell phones but when I go out to the field I never take the phone with and so it happened where I were wandering around in the mountains and then all off a sudden realize that the shadows as much longer and have to rush back to base before dark, especially in the Winter. This morning I noticed that it is already daylight half past 4 and the days are getting longer which is good news.
Tonight I confirmed around that dinner table my plans to hike to the Glen and back in one day and asked for volunteers to go with since the rules are that we have to be at least 2 on such a long hike. Thing is whoever go with me will have to swim in the sea since I have opted for the shorter but safer route, and that disqualifies some of my possible hiking buddies. This route is basically up 'Tafelkoppie', but before you reach the summit you cut over the 'Golden highway' through the Serangetti towards waterfall point - down a series of ropes onto the beach and then hike all the way to the Saifara Glen where you need to swim about 50meters and then I'd say another 50 from the Saifara to the 'historical Glen' which is the original landing place and site of the original base - first 5 years of overwintering teams. That was already 63 years ago! 1956....
Plan was to attach a card with the route but I can unfortunately not upload it, maybe at a later stage. Round trip is only 8km (estimate on Gps) but the terrain is not easy. I am however confident that one can make it in one day starting early - it has never been done before.
No issues in the team other than timing - I need to go when the field workers are not doing rope work. Almost excited already, but ok let's see if I can get an opperturnety to do this. My biggest worry is to keep the camera dry and I will make sure to wrap it in at least 3 x plastic bags and put it in my dry bag (Givi backpack)
Goodnight  :thumleft: