Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 321046 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2520 on: November 18, 2017, 01:52:27 am »
Today was gusting winds of up to 69knots (around 130km/h) and not ideal field day.
I did however decide that regardless of the weather, I am going to get  few pics of the baby Northern Rockhopper Penguins since it is exactly 1 year since I did photograph them and was rather pleased with the pics. I do like the little the penguins especialy with the little ones. They are also on the decline for some reason and I think there is more than enough food for them as the whole collony is littered with pieces of squid and purple 'die' or whatever you call it.

I did get a number of pictures although I got something much 'bigger'....After a few hours and some fristration due to the wind and not getting that special shot I noticed something Huge in the water. An elephant seal! There are plenty around the island but none of those beaches are assesable for us like 'long beach'. Sometimes they are at the Glen but yes...the Glen is a mission.

So let's see if I can get a few pictures uploaded of the Elephant seal. They are not 'fur seals' and mold (get a new skin) every season. Massive creatures and very interesting. I will post some more pics and background of them at some stage.

Good night!  :thumleft:

PS: I radioed base to hear if anyone is interested to see the Elly and Zack came briefly and got a pic of me on his phone. He had to rush back to do his weather ops again.

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #2521 on: November 18, 2017, 06:24:47 am »
That last pic really gives one an idea of how big those seals are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #2522 on: November 18, 2017, 08:25:58 pm »
Its massive
Thanks Tom
Rallye

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2523 on: November 19, 2017, 09:29:06 pm »
That last photo should be cross posted to the WTF thread  :lol8:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2524 on: November 20, 2017, 06:48:47 am »
As big as they are, they can MOVE.....when they want to. :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2525 on: November 20, 2017, 09:15:03 am »
Those seals are diving MACHINES!!

They dive repeatedly, each time for more than 20 minutes, to hunt their prey—squid and fish—at depths of 400 to 1,000 m (1,300 to 3,300 ft). They are the deepest diving air-breathing non-cetaceans and have been recorded at a maximum of 2,133 m (6,998 ft) in depth.[

There's been one that visits Three Anchor Bay in CT every few years or so. Makes the beach his home for a week or so. He's even wondered up the slipway and chilled out on the pavement next to Beach Road. Unfortunately they smell even worse that the gewone cape fur seals.......and that is BAD.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2526 on: November 20, 2017, 04:16:03 pm »

They dive repeatedly, each time for more than 20 minutes, to hunt their prey—squid and fish—at depths of 400 to 1,000 m (1,300 to 3,300 ft). They are the deepest diving air-breathing non-cetaceans and have been recorded at a maximum of 2,133 m (6,998 ft) in depth.[

There's been one that visits Three Anchor Bay in CT every few years or so. Makes the beach his home for a week or so. He's even wondered up the slipway and chilled out on the pavement next to Beach Road. Unfortunately they smell even worse that the gewone cape fur seals.......and that is BAD.

Thanks to all the replies, and also for your quote above Sam. I really appreciate it as I wanted to do it but yet did not yet get a change as the internet did not allowed me to open this site again.....not even on tappatalk but at-least I am logged in there so it will work at times and when the site works it put a smile on my mug as I get to read a bit about everyone else adventures. Sometimes I read a road reviews (RR) without even seeing the pictures but enjoy the writing style especially when there is a bit of humor and/or history involved.

Just a bit of added information:

Nico had a look a the picture of the elly that landed here and he estimate the size on 1.3+ tons. He had done extensive research on the at Marion island and we used to weigh them. Lost unfortunately those pics.

Adult male 3.8 to 5.8 meters long
1.6 - 4.5 tons (adult)
Female: 3-4 meter and 400 to 800kg
pups: 130cm and 40-50kg
Seldom seen at see, lies in low water resembling a small whale. Only nose protrudes from water to breathe.  Clumsy ashore, prefer gently sloping beaches - pebbles or sandy. Molts primarily on vegetated areas behind landing beaches. Breeds regularly on Gough on Easten coast.
A harem of up to 16 females per 'beach master'

They were hunted during the 18th century for blubber and are slowly recovering in the South except on Gough where the number is decreasing over the past 25 years for some unknown reason.

I got the above added info from the field guide about Tristan and Gough Islands.

I cannot recall which pictures I have posted (can't see them now) so just add a few:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2527 on: November 20, 2017, 04:21:35 pm »
I also got some pictures of penguins, but have only edited the second day's pics when I took Zach down to see the elly but it has already left.
They just do not stay longer than a few hours on Seal beach and normally just to rest/recover after a fight as this young adult surely was trying his luck at some harem on long beach!  :snorting:

Here are a few baby rockhopper pictures of the second day although I should have some better ones taken with different lenses on day 1.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2528 on: November 20, 2017, 05:34:54 pm »
Yeasterday was Thabo's birthday and he wanted the team to join him for a swim at 'swemgat'. The weather was rather miserable, only 8 degrees and the water I think around 10. Tea temp was 11 degrees. Anyway, I was my concerned self and although I enjoyed it I decided to swim over to the waterfall and sat there in the water on a rock doing 'life guard' duty  :imaposer: Was just concerned as it gets deep rather quickly and you never know if/when someone gets a cramp. All well and jolly though and Kate took this picture with her 'Go-pro' (it was taking a video and then she get the still off it)
Afterwards we had a braai and kuier and this morning we started skivvi at 9 and it has really been a hectic day so far. After base cleaning it was time to do the 'weekly shopping' bringing all the food rations from the store to the pantry and now I am doing the paperwork. Just had an 'oops' with the pressure cooker. I am making caramel from condensed milk which they use to frost the cakes with, and I let the pressure cooker run dry so It popped 3 cans inside....rather a sticky mess and I am annoyed with myself...had to clean up and now onto the admin again. I see there is another low pressure heading our way so the Glen trip again postponed but we will get to do it!  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2529 on: November 20, 2017, 06:09:14 pm »
Which one is Thabo?

Beautiful photo's of the penguins, I'm so glad you have bit of Internet access again :thumleft:
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2530 on: November 20, 2017, 09:13:18 pm »
Which one is Thabo?

Beautiful photo's of the penguins, I'm so glad you have bit of Internet access again :thumleft:

He is front left Ri

Yes it is great to have internet acces albeit a bit temperamental. It is almost 'pulsating' if that is correct because it comes and goes all the way.
They have blocked now some sites (so glad this is open) and gave whatsapp sort of a priority. So one can actually now make whatsapp calls (not video calls) on a good day. Good for the team members to contact their families and welldone to the dea for a step in the right direction. I also heard that it is saving them a lot on phone bills (or will be saving them a lot) because the data works out cheaper through whatsapp than through an actual call. I am however not clued up at all with telecommunications.

Goodnight  :thumleft:

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2531 on: November 21, 2017, 08:30:54 am »

Thanks to all the replies, and also for your quote above Sam. I really appreciate it as I wanted to do it but yet did not yet get a change as the internet did not allowed me to open this site again.....not even on tappatalk but at-least I am logged in there so it will work at times and when the site works it put a smile on my mug as I get to read a bit about everyone else adventures. Sometimes I read a road reviews (RR) without even seeing the pictures but enjoy the writing style especially when there is a bit of humor and/or history involved.

Nico had a look a the picture of the elly that landed here and he estimate the size on 1.3+ tons. He had done extensive research on the at Marion island and we used to weigh them. Lost unfortunately those pics.

1.6 - 4.5 tons (adult)
Seldom seen at see, lies in low water resembling a small whale. Only nose protrudes from water to breathe.  Clumsy ashore, prefer gently sloping beaches - pebbles or sandy. Molts primarily on vegetated areas behind landing beaches. Breeds regularly on Gough on Easten coast.

They were hunted during the 18th century for blubber and are slowly recovering in the South except on Gough where the number is decreasing over the past 25 years for some unknown reason.

I got the above added info from the field guide about Tristan and Gough Islands.

I cannot recall which pictures I have posted (can't see them now) so just add a few:

Excuse my ignorance, but I assume that one of those big guys will just tear you apart if you arent careful and get too close, or are they docile chilled fatties?
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2532 on: November 21, 2017, 03:25:11 pm »

1.6 - 4.5 tons (adult)

Excuse my ignorance, but I assume that one of those big guys will just tear you apart if you arent careful and get too close, or are they docile chilled fatties?

Yes Mikie; if you are not careful you will definitely get seriously injured. They are not fast out the blocks but once on the move like on a smoother surface other than the boulders on this specific beach you may find yourself in trouble. One slip and fall may mean the end of you. They differ from the fur seals in that they will first warn you and rise themselves real tall and roar loud (roar is probably the wrong word but it is a very hard intimidating sound they make).
10 years ago on Marion island Nico de Bruin (doctor) encountered a close call while working with them, and he managed to get his stick (like a broom stick but heavy solid hard wood) out. The elephant seal bit it and it broke in pieces like a match stick. So yes one can get real close, much closer than you would dare to go to a fur seal bull, but now I am going to avoid the seal colonies (fur seal) for a while because it is breeding season and the males protect their territories and harems and there is a lot of testosterone pumping. I also do not want to disturb them during breeding season. The most severe medical cases were because of fur seals and there has been real nasty cases (septicemia and very bad wounds) 

The picture is of the 'wind-speed monitor' (not sure what the real name of the apparatus is) that got damaged due to a bird strike. The propeller needed replacement and then Santjie had to re-calibrate the unit.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2533 on: November 21, 2017, 03:31:53 pm »
Amazing how this team is a TEAM compared to the lui / slap gatte from the previous......no team.  :thumleft:

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Sam

« Reply #2534 on: November 21, 2017, 03:58:19 pm »
The picture is of the 'wind-speed monitor' (not sure what the real name of the apparatus is)

Anemometer!

Try say that after a couple of glasses of wine.......or in my case, even when stone cold sober....

Offline Sam

« Reply #2535 on: November 21, 2017, 04:03:22 pm »

I'd follow the usual wild animal rule of thumb......if it weighs 4.5 tons....stay well clear!

On a similar topic - a leopard seal killed an antarctic researcher some years back. It dragged her down to 60 odd meters while she was snorkelling. They're not nearly as big as this one though.

Offline Sam

« Reply #2536 on: November 21, 2017, 04:06:20 pm »
Tom......that green in the backround is unreal. How on earth  you are going to get used to our brown landscape when you're back is beyond me...!

Still looks pretty cold there? It's been unseasonally cold here in CT too - I think we just had the weather that passed over you a day or so back. Nice little bit of rain - hopefully moves "zero water day" back a few days.....

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2537 on: November 21, 2017, 04:07:16 pm »
Out of mating season they are very RUSTIG and hardly move with you around, but when the females are around and everybody is fighting for a bit of YOU KNOW WHAT....it is a different story. :laughing4:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2538 on: November 21, 2017, 04:58:41 pm »
Tom......that green in the backround is unreal. How on earth  you are going to get used to our brown landscape when you're back is beyond me...!

Still looks pretty cold there? It's been unseasonally cold here in CT too - I think we just had the weather that passed over you a day or so back. Nice little bit of rain - hopefully moves "zero water day" back a few days.....

I'm thinking shock therapy: a trip to the driest of dry places - the Tankwa Karoo :o
A worthy challenge for his photographic talents after the lushness and birdlife of Gough  :laughing7:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:17:36 pm by Ri »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2539 on: November 21, 2017, 05:27:43 pm »
The picture is of the 'wind-speed monitor' (not sure what the real name of the apparatus is)

Anemometer!

Try say that after a couple of glasses of wine.......or in my case, even when stone cold sober....

Thanks for the correct name there Sam, appreciate  :thumleft:

It is still cold, one low pressure upon another and it feels weird because the field is just so green. One of the visitors during takeover mentioned that her grandfather used to say you get all the shades of green in Ireland, but that Gough may even have more. That was during takeover and the island was actually still not all that 'green'. It has changed a lot in the last 2 months, but it is colder than I can recall any previous year on Gough Island over November. I can recall that we have ran out of fresh water a couple of times during November both Gough 54 and G60. Gough 62 (last year) was a bit more wet but definitely not that cold in Nov. I am planning to hike up the mountain to the Giant Petrol colony tomorrow with Zach. That is the colony I have failed to visit last time, was not 100% sure where it was and turned around a mere 100 to 200 meters. Quite a long hike, not so far but the terrain is hard especially after reaching Goneydale and then having to continue another hour and a half up and around Mount Rowette, then down at the Western side (rather low down) and back up again and the 4 hours back to base....at my phase which is a bit slower than the others. Will just keep an eye on the weather before I make a final decision tonight.