Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 321114 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2540 on: November 23, 2017, 12:03:58 am »
I have made no secret on the thread and elsewhere where they discuss PTSD that I am dealing with it as well.
Mine does not originate from the military, but from much earlier experiences and then years of working in the emergency medical services.
For none of us (I think) it's easy to talk about it, and even harder to deal with it especially if you are alone or in an environment where no one has got experience and understanding of this.

Sometimes the physical symptoms is worse than the psychological symptoms like for example 'a sore dead feeling in the facial area and arms'.
I would like to believe and am rather confident that it does not influence my work negatively, infact I find that I sometimes work harder to compensate and it also sort of helps when you are busy. It is unfortunately not a cure (keeping busy)
I have overheard many conversations and also read about it on internet where people judge PTSD as well as depression and says it is lazy people that suffers from it - you just need to get busy working and it all will go away. Well if you can call me lazy I would like to see what 'non lazy' means!
I am not on any medication, I have tried it before but am one of those stupid (toung in the cheek) people that got almost all the adverse effects and sometimes it will make the condition much worse. In order to try a new medication I need a 'buddy system' which I do not have (someone that knows you well and can monitor you from the sideline)

So what to do? Like said, I know when I am having a new episode as it can start off by bad nights, either insomnia or nightmares. It can start because of triggers...even a smell that triggers the mind.
What I do is I just keep busy, I make sure I am busy and then I have 1 ore 2 friends (maybe just 1) which I will at-least inform via whatsapp as I feel it is important to always have someone in your life that you can trust with the good and bad. It just helps the mind I think, that 'I am not alone'. Problem though; I feel that I disappoint this person for not being able to get out of it and then one also sort of withdraw in a way from communication.

Here I do not have it, because this is my workplace and I need to be profesional. Yes people can sometimes see one is in a dip but it is rather normal even for non PTSD sufferers (sounds hectic) to sometimes dip. I was and still is very hard on myself, but I find that I have accepted this. Embarrassing to speak about ones weakness but I hope that more people will be honest about their condition and issues because maybe one day there will be help for some of the people suffering from this condition. Maby people cannot function normally or work due to this - and this is where I am fortunate.

You see cancer or some other conditions are recognized because people can see the physical disability, but with PTSD no one can and then there are changers like ex soldiers trying to claim 'dba' and benefits.

Today even my hike turned into a sort of bad experience, and what made it worse was a low cloud and wet and cold conditions. I was totally wet and had to stop a couple of times to get rid of the water in my boots. Also had the hardest ever fall on the island, so hard that I did not knew at first what happened after finding myself on the ground. No injuries, I am lucky. But I did not see the Giant Petrels and turned around after the first Tristan Albatross fledgling. Looking back at the pics...well I like it!

Goodnight  :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #2541 on: November 23, 2017, 05:33:59 am »
Friend, take care and look after yourself.
It will be a slight difficulty for us to help your where you are!
The roadside database does not stretch that far.
Glad you were not hurt and remember " min dae"
Dakar 650
SR 500

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2542 on: November 23, 2017, 06:32:46 am »
Friend, take care and look after yourself.
It will be a slight difficulty for us to help your where you are!
The roadside database does not stretch that far.
Glad you were not hurt and remember " min dae"

At least until we've got the SAS Wildehond III up and ready  :imaposer:

Thanks for sharing, Tom. Try not to be so hard on yourself. As long as you keep posting these great photo's we'll forgive you anything :biggrin:

En soos Oubones sÍ: Min dae!  :clock:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #2543 on: November 23, 2017, 06:45:42 am »
Great pics, Tom. Hope you cheer up :thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2544 on: November 23, 2017, 06:52:04 am »
Sterkte my maat.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2545 on: November 23, 2017, 03:52:46 pm »
Thanks to everyone, I'll be ok. I have been concerned because one never know how other people sees you and have asked someone in the team today confidentially to give me a honest accesment of me....team player and general behavior and was pleased to hear that it sounds fair. Seems I am still on the right track, but I must admit the time here and uncertainty of not knowing for sure when I'll be coming back is not ideal. It will be better to know, because I also need to get my head around ;what's next.

I have been busy this morning sanding and 'panel beating' one of out 4 wheel trolleys. This trolley is really weathered and have been broken and rebuilt so many times. Every year the team mechanic will order one but it never comes. The other day after galeforce winds it was ripped apart and I volunteered to fix it. Drilled out all the old pop rivets and replaced with thicker ones and used washers. I hope it will last a couple more months now. The rust was really bad and one thing that annoys me is 2 prong plugs....just grabbed my knife and cut it off and replaced with a 3 prong plug. This is on the baby grinder, now one do not need to run around looking for adaptors.
Then I kicked over a 5 liter of red oxide  :dousing: Quickly grabbed a hse sign that is not in use and scooped up the paint back into the container. Think I have saved 3 liter out of the 5. Luckily it is water based paint, so the cleaning was not a painful experience.

I hope Saturday will be good weather for another good hike, this time on the Eastern side of the island. There is no footpaths and one needs to bundubash but I am keen on a change of scenery.

Offline Oubones

« Reply #2546 on: November 23, 2017, 08:12:18 pm »
Tom, I also do not know how to see you as I have never seen you. :ricky:
Glad to hear you are still positive and to my uneducated eyes, you are coping very well under difficult circumstances.
Keep it up and looking forward to picks of your eastern walk.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2547 on: November 24, 2017, 08:48:57 am »
This looks very much like a cycad? Do you know if it is part of the species?

Online frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #2548 on: November 24, 2017, 08:53:14 am »
Maybe tree fern?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2549 on: November 24, 2017, 02:07:34 pm »
It is:

Blechnum palmiforme Bog fern

'A large distinctive cycad-like fern, with stems up to 1.6meter tall and 30cm in diameter, sometimes short side branches. Stems mostly erect in sheltered sites; decumbent in more exposed areas, especially in older plants'....Distribution: 'Endemic to Tristan, Nightingale, Inaccessible and Gough'

I have typed this (copied) from the Field Guide to the animals and plants of Tristan da Cunha and Gough Island, edited by prof Peter Ryan.

The following users thanked this post: frankmac

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2550 on: November 24, 2017, 11:44:22 pm »
You guys and girls know that feeling of excitement where your tummy goes weird, you feel energised and can't think of anything else right?
Noooooooo I am not in love  :imaposer:

I am finally going to tackle the biggest one day adventure ever in my live!

Years back I have done the freefall progression skydiving course and attended the class in the morning and jumped twice in the afternoon.....that was big! There are a number of things, planned and unplanned like the day the pygmy who chased me in the Congo with an axe!  :o

Tomorrow though is big in the sense that Santjie is hiking with me to the historical Glen, and yes we have to hike a few hours and go down ropes to the beach. Then we need to hike again and finally swim to go further, land at the Sophora Glen and spent some time and then the final swim to 'the Glen'. The biggest though, is to hike up 'Disney ridge from sea level and then up South peak over Tafelkoppie and down to the base again. We will have to find energy to hike up that steep ridge, there is no other way and we have already logged the trip and discussed with the team.

For now this is the plan and a dream....a dream some are frowning on and maybe with reason. Tomorrow we will find out though, and if we do not make it we will be able to prepare better to make it in future but we really really want to make it.

We have limited pack space and had to be very selective. I am taking minimal medical things and both of us just have no space for survival gear other than a plastic isolation bag and a thermal west. 1 liter of rehidrate and at the Glen we can fill with river water. some food (3 x vetkoek and mince each) and obviously the most important.....my camera. Also both our Gps, some string and I have a life vest (my own) and she is taking a wet-suit and flippers. My life vest is already folded around my drybag and then I borrowed another small 5liter drybag for the camera which is fitted with only one lens - the 17/50mm. Then I have my 2 way radio, and some 'booties' to swim with and dry socks to make the hike back a tad more comfy. I have drilled holes in our gumboots to put a string through and to attach to our backpacks for when we will be swimming in the sea. Some more small extras in the bag like isolation tape.

So yes I do not know how I am going to sleep.....a lot of excitement! We did however decided already in advance not to take any changes and if the sea is not calm for the swimming part we will turn back and postpone for another day. So if you read this in the morning or during the day, which us luck please!

I hope to report back soon on our experience!  :thumleft:

PS: Santjie is working nightshirt tomorrow.....so if we pull it off and reach the base, her shift continues till 3am! Pok there was a time in my life where I was young and could pull of 24 hour plus shifts in the fire brigade but I am way past that! anyway, let's see how this all pans out.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2551 on: November 25, 2017, 04:31:56 am »
Lekker Tom!

I'll be rooting for you! You (and Santie) can do it!

Awesome man! Live the Dream!!!

and we want a RR when you get back!  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Oubones

« Reply #2552 on: November 25, 2017, 06:48:02 am »
Tom, by the time you read this you will be back already and the smile wide!
Waiting for the RR and pics.
Glad that you get to do things and go places, and with company!
Enjoy.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2553 on: November 25, 2017, 06:51:07 am »
Daai girl is 'n yster.  Geniet dit en ek hoop dit werk lekker uit dat julle daar en terug kom sonder probleme.

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #2554 on: November 25, 2017, 07:20:54 am »
Good luck Tom  :thumleft:

Sounds like a real adventure!
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2555 on: November 27, 2017, 01:54:26 am »
Good luck Tom  :thumleft:

Sounds like a real adventure!

Thanks to everyone!! Yes we have made it but the hardest but most epic hike ever! I have underestimated the route involving swimming in 12 degree water, negotiating through seals, swimming and then climbing the mountain, and it turned to out to be a real adventure.
I will do a report with pictures but it turned out to be a cold and wet night sleeping in the peaks.
Santjie is my new hero, we have made a great team I think and finally the Glen is ticked off the bucket list!

One bad jpeg photo stitch (sorry) attached at the historical Glen where Sir Ernest Shackleton also landed in the early 19hundreds.
I did not take many pics because of the swimming and drybags etc, but I am ok with that. The couple I did take is good enough for me to frame lasting memories.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #2556 on: November 27, 2017, 06:19:48 am »
Nice one Tom.  :thumleft:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2557 on: November 27, 2017, 06:53:16 am »
Well done to both of you.  :thumleft:

Offline Stormer

• Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
« Reply #2558 on: November 27, 2017, 07:15:39 am »
Welcome back. Looking forward to the write up.  :blob5:
"While the Swiss may have invented the clock itís good old Mama Africa that owns the time." - Kingsley Holgate - Afrika The Outside Edge

Offline Skim

« Reply #2559 on: November 27, 2017, 07:17:58 am »
Good stuff Tom!!!

Well done and lets see those pics man - they do make us drool!!!
Skim

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.