Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 295264 times)

Online Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2560 on: November 27, 2017, 09:42:43 am »
Well done to both of you.  :thumleft:

Thanks again to everone, and I am looking forward to share the 'RR' with you all. We are on rubber - yes those gumboots are rubber so I can do a RR  :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2561 on: November 27, 2017, 11:20:15 am »
I'm on tenterhooks for the details since I saw that you had to overnight on the way back.

True adventure!! Things go wrong but you improvise and survive and make it home to tell the tale - you are a hero, too  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2562 on: November 27, 2017, 11:27:32 am »
Ek weet hoekom hy wou OORNAG   :pot: :peepwall:
So 'n moeg ou man.  :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2563 on: November 27, 2017, 12:03:03 pm »

:imaposer:
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2564 on: November 28, 2017, 09:36:35 am »

Thought you were my friends  :xxbah:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2565 on: November 28, 2017, 09:40:54 am »

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2566 on: November 28, 2017, 10:21:12 am »
I only heard the other day someone said that you should not have dreams, because dreams takes up a lot of energy and can be tiring. He said rather make the best of now, because that is what you have and the only thing you are guaranteed off. You may end up dreaming your live away. I have also read once before that some 'old timer' said that the things we regret in life is the things we did not do.

Another old 'Islander' once said that your trip were incomplete if you did not hike to the Glen.  So twice before did I sail back on the SA Agulhas staring over the ocean and my eyes wandering into the Glen and felt like I cheated because my visits were only privileged by Tristan da Cunha research RIB's. It's like receiving money you did not work for.....you appreciate it so much but you feel that you could or should have done something.

I must admit though; I did try hard to get to the Glen on a hike but no-one ever was willing to hike with me as every potential hiking partner just said it's not doable in a day, and no one was even willing to carry camping gear along.

So when my time on Gough Island was extended I mentioned it around the dinner table and I immideatly had 2 x volunteers: Zach and Santjie. Problem though, Zach and Santjie are both metkassies (meteorologists) and they are working shifts and it would not work out to hike together on a long trip and the other thing is Zach is not confident in the water. He is very strong on the legs and can keep climbing at a pace with a heavy back-back, but we decided to 'scout' the route and then form and idea if it will be possible in future to take Zach with.....little did we know.

They also say it is the small things in life that makes a difference, that we appreciate and no I do not regard another beautiful sunrise as 'small' but I got up at 4 already this morning to make sure I can witness another sunrise.
Now before I continue: Please don't expect to much of a picture story because I did not had time to take a lot of pictures en-route because it was just a mission to get the dry-bag open, and then another dry-bag to access the camera and then pack it away again. The plan was to DO the route but scout it and then do it another day... it did mention 'the plan was'  :)

I attach a picture of today's sunrise and then continue:

Offline Geriatrix

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #2567 on: November 28, 2017, 10:27:43 am »
Sounds as if it was a true hiking epic!
We are looking forwards to seeing the photographs.

Many Forum members have had bad times so you will find that many can understand some of your troubles. I do not approve of drugs for damping down the effects , but discussing with friends and getting help as you need it will get you through better than if you try to bottle it up or get instant cure from an ampoule.
Leonardo da Vinci, “Art is never finished, only abandoned.”

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Geriatrix

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #2568 on: November 28, 2017, 10:30:04 am »
Pictures are at least up to your normal standard!

Thank you.
Leonardo da Vinci, “Art is never finished, only abandoned.”

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2569 on: November 28, 2017, 10:53:05 am »
Now we have a tradition on Gough that Friday night cooking skivvi is 'take away' at the bar area.
So I was on cooking skivvi and made the team 'Petunas pancakes"
I do not know how many of you may have dined in Sabi (or Graskop?...I cannot remember) at the pancake resturant which was famous for all sorts of filled pancakes.
It was new to me the first time I had it, since our tradition is only to eat pancakes when it rain and then with cinnamon and sugar.

So the team was all excited about our trip but Santjie was still working nightshift till 3am!
So we have decided to meet for coffee in the kitchen at 6:30 and then to start not a minute later than 7am.

That night I could not sleep and both Santjie and me tested our hiking bags and paraded through the house to make sure everything feels ok.
Earlier the day we were in the camp store and it was decided that she will use flippers and a wetsuit (old ones left behind) and I will use my own life vest.

The life vest and drybag idea was a mistake only to learn from.....I should have left the life vest and only used the drybag.

So we had our coffee and left with filled with excitement. We had to hike up the Tafelkoppie route which in it's own is for most 'base personnel' already a complete hike in it's own. Then we cut across the Golden highway (river) and then headed for 'Waterfall point'

1) Not the lava cave - this is just on the other side of the Tafel koppie route and basically now on the Eastern side of the island.
2) Santjie's flippers
3) Penguin Island in the distance
4) Yes excitement!

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2570 on: November 28, 2017, 11:12:45 am »
1: Yes we can see the Arch - it does not really look far right? We should be there soon....may and hour?.....wrong  :o
2: Ok now we have used a set of old ropes (but it looked in very good condition despite the age) to reach the beach but it is filled with seals .....very dangerous testosterone filled males protecting their harems and we do not want to interfere - not only because we are not allowed to but because this is their territory and we are just very privileged to be here!
3-4; We had to enter the water much quicker here than anticipated and this is where I got a very big unpleasant suprise, but it was fine: I had way to much buyoncy and was so high in the water that I had to work harder to gain momentum.....if my English makes sense? So at the very difficult parts where we had to swim out to sea to get around obsticles Santjie pulled me with her hiking stick playing tuggboat and it worked a charm.
We were only able to walk/run and dodge seals on the small pebble beach but not always. Sometimes our escape route was to sea and it is starngely regarded as 'ok'. A bull will charge at you on land, but then in the water they were swimming around us playfully - sometimes even bumping into us with no agression at all. Strange behavior but we are glad it worked out. Only problem is; 13 degree water can get cold after a while and we spent a lot of time in the water.

It burned up a lot of energy, and we were (I was) confident that this was only a day trip so I assured Santjie all will be ok prior the trip and we only prepared for a day trip, so no tent or sleeping bags!

Luckly it is common sense (and protocol) to pack a buvvy bag and extra food and snacks and water.

The seals did not make it easy for us though, and we have lost a lot of time. It took us several hours only to reach the Sopora Glen which is adjacent to the Glen and then we had no time hiking up to the trees as that was included in the original plan.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2571 on: November 28, 2017, 11:17:33 am »
1 - We finally arriver in the Sophora Glen
2 - The walls are just stunning and I do not know why it looks like this.....lava ash? some geologist may know? Please feel free to share
3 - more
4 - Remains of a bower boat (crayfish bakkie) and I also do not know the history of this particular one but I'll ask capt Clarence

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2572 on: November 28, 2017, 11:27:45 am »
I have to go now and will post later (sorry)

Here we regained strength and then the highlight of the trip as we swam through the Arch - Yes Archway at the 'The Glen'!!

The sea was calm and we waited for swell which helped both of us at this stage.
I really like these pics!!

The following users thanked this post: frankmac

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2573 on: November 28, 2017, 11:35:38 am »
Pragtig

Offline ClemS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2574 on: November 28, 2017, 11:39:07 am »
Benydenswaardig!  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2575 on: November 28, 2017, 02:19:50 pm »
1 - We finally arriver in the Sophora Glen
2 - The walls are just stunning and I do not know why it looks like this.....lava ash? some geologist may know? Please feel free to share
3 - more
4 - Remains of a bower boat (crayfish bakkie) and I also do not know the history of this particular one but I'll ask capt Clarence

That second one looks like an elephant side on, glancing at you.

These pictures are soooo beautiful!!

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2576 on: November 28, 2017, 05:04:22 pm »
And we landed on the beach in the Glen, a bit battered up but we were just so happy!!
Yes we have made it to the Glen finally on foot.

I ran up the old origional base ramp and pretend to open the door for Santjie, as if it was still 1955 except that woman were then not allowed on the islands as expedition members. Luckly that has changed and this current team is the best balance in the sexes I have ever seen on Gough. I have seen legend hard working woman on these projeckts like Dr Genevive Jones, Cherryl, Santjie, Chantall, Mia and a couple more! Some of them will put many joung men to shame when it comes to a long hard days of work in this challenging environments with the ever changing weather.

Anyway, we dried and then walked up to the 'sealers cave' which originates from the 18hundreds when the Norwegian sealers came to cull seals for their hides and elephant seals for the fat (blubber) Those men were tough, there was no modern day aids, no nothing.....they arrived in wooden ships and how they navigated to find this tiny island and then survived for months! Not only did they survive but they have worked!

All that is left of the original base is the cement floor and some cables and pipes. It was never tidied up to my surprize and now it is regarded as 'history' which is all good I suppose since nothing is really bad for the environment and there are beach debre all around the island from ships like plastic bottles, fishing nets and so on.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2577 on: November 28, 2017, 05:23:50 pm »
Let's track back a bit to 'Waterfall point' where we went down the ropes.
Santjie took some Gopro pics and I just got them.
The first part of the rope was easy but then there were really long drops and one had to take good care.

And then back to the Glen - The very first expedition members names are still on there - it has survived 63 years.
The base was moved only after 5 years to the current location to get more reliable weather observations done.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2578 on: November 28, 2017, 05:34:56 pm »
Then we saw this poor seal with the strap around him - he will die of it eventually and we felt so sorry but we could not help  :'(
They are very playful in the water like mentioned earlier and this often happens. We have a standing protocall to always cut the straps when we open any boxes, containers and so on.
I have also made some vetkoek for us and we enjoyed it rather quick because we still needed to climb out and thought it to be only 2 hours.....we were wrong.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2579 on: November 28, 2017, 05:39:07 pm »
Before we started the hike I thought to quickly photograh the Gp's (Giant Petrels) on the water, but unfortunately I did not have a longer lens other than the 50mm but still fair and give the idea. I love these birds...I love mostly all birds  :) :3some:

Thanks also for every comment, appreciate  :thumleft: