Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 293754 times)

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2580 on: November 28, 2017, 05:50:56 pm »
... Movember, Tom... ?  :laughing4:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2581 on: November 28, 2017, 05:57:01 pm »
And this is where my 'wheels' came off. We both had Gps in hand but there are no tracks.
Both of us were tracking this route in order to map it, and here we got a very big surprise and not a good one if you hike against time!

Disney Ridge which is the best way out if you know the route is full of unexpected surprises - the main ridge is splitting into smaller ones and we did not know that it was not connected!!

Yes we had to climb literally sometimes like spiderman, as we did not find a way around the rocks and opsticles.
Sometimes I had to push Santjie with the walking stick under her rucksack, and then she will pull me up again.
We pushed as hard as we could and time was no longer on our side when we reached a dead end wher the ridge we were on did not connect with the main ridge. Now if we would have come down into the Glen with the main ridge it would not have meen a problem but scouting from the bottom....we just had no idea!
We were burning a lot of energy and the hardest thing was to do a little back tracking and then up again to get elevation.

1: Here is one pick from the wrong ridge back into the Glen and my last pic, and then there will be a couple more pics from Santjie's gopro

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2582 on: November 28, 2017, 06:48:13 pm »
Now I can drag this out, but no need and a short summary of the last bit:

At some stage I begged Santjie to leave me since I have enough emergency chocolate and snacks and 2 liters of water and a Gps. I said she should continue and then I will do it on my time and strength. Yes I was slowing her down, Santjie is young (think 15years difference) and she is very fit and physically strong. I said she should go out since she can still make it and since we were on the right track. We were expecting a low pressure with rain only for the next afternoon but I looked up and saw the system coming in. Also fog, and we hoped for a worst case scenario of only fog....but YR got the weather all wrong  :eek7:

I could find no more energy and was going way too slow. We were running out of daylight and Santjie refused to leave me behind. So we had to buvvy out on the Ridge, and the scary part was the drop down on either side. The vegetation is not at all easy to walk on although it seem fine. It is like a moss carpet over lava rock. We had to make quick decisions and survival mode kicked in. First of all we found a place out of the wind as the wind was now pumping, and then also where we would not slip and fall further down.

Ri have sent me some emergency ponchos and I put that on, and we crawled into buvvy bags and sat next to each other. I was still wet, thought the t-shirt would dry out on the hike but nope. Then it started raining and it never stopped. The wind speed increased but we were fairly sheltered, but the rain was just not giving us a break. Now those who know me will also know that I am not not a big contact person, never was. I am just shy, but we both just knew we had to get through the night and we knew about the other 3 expeditionists that died due to exposure in the mountains as well as another sealer although it was not confirmed what he died off many years back. With that in mind we made sure to wrap ourselves like mummy's and then sit/lie (we could not lie down as there was just no space) and kept each other warm.

We did not sleep although Santjie said she dosed of a couple of times for short periods. 4 am her gps beeped (alarm) and she said we should pack up and go at first light (4h30) We packed up and started hiking and was immideatly exposed to the wind now with rain. We were very careful but now we were able to navigate on some tracks and it was easier to know which way round an obstickle. It was just even more slippery but we were doing ok, and then I recognized 'the Disney window' and that made a difference. We were now firing on all the pistons and going although that last bit is really steep. We made it out since we started in one hour and took a pickture at the ridge.

I was so overwhelmed and happy that I just gave Santjie a hug and thanked her for staying with me. It did make a huge difference, I should have been just fine with all the bags and stuff, but it would have been very hard sitting there alone through a cold wet dark night!

So now we were rushing back to base. We got new energy and were going at a brisk pace. After about 20 minutes we reached Goneydale container and found 2 field workers camping in the tent, they were working there the previous day. Relieved we are ok and so we steamed on and ran into Zach and Jaimie who was searching for us - backpacks and emergency stuff. Now yes that made our harts warm but I did apologize in all honesty because I have realized that I underestimated this route. It is doable if one is hiking fit, and out of fur seal breeding season and know the route out - there is a better one but not plotted yet but the only way to find it is from the top of the ridge down since you can then see where to go. All we needed to make it was one hour....one hour can make such a huge difference. Yes we could have used our headlamps and continued but the ridge is slippery (always) and on our debreathe everyone agree that we have made the right call to buvvy out.

However; if I have made this sound too much like a drama sorry! It was tough yes, but we were well equipped and although it was uncomfortable it was not a crisis. I did learn from this, but I am just so happy that this was with Santjie. She is a great leader, a great friend....this girl is honestly my hero.  :3some:

Love Gough 63!  :thumleft:

Offline Goingnowherekwickly

« Reply #2583 on: November 28, 2017, 07:40:44 pm »
Great adventure Tom, love the pics!
so lekker read this report :)

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2584 on: November 28, 2017, 09:06:01 pm »
... Movember, Tom... ?  :laughing4:

Hi Ri

I got the memo a tad late but yes that's the idea  :thumleft:

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #2585 on: November 28, 2017, 09:15:36 pm »
Hey tjomma lekker stap report  hoop jy rus uit en pas jouself op ou Mata lyk  na rowwe  terrein
Groet e Z
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2586 on: November 29, 2017, 05:43:31 am »
Santjie lyk nie eers moeg nie!!!  :eek7:

Kyk, daardie meisie eet avontuur vir ontbyt. Dit is fantasties dat jy so 'n stapmaat kon saamvat, en 'n leeftyd se herinneringe kon opbou.

Pragtige foto's ook! Elke keer as ek dit sien dink ek "Jurassic Park se ma"

Ri have sent me some emergency ponchos and I put that on, and we crawled into buvvy bags and sat next to each other. :

I'm really glad they came in handy!  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:45:54 am by Ri »
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2587 on: November 29, 2017, 07:18:10 am »
Baie slim om te rus en nie Rambo te probeer wees nie.
Stuur groete vir daai YSTER vrou.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2588 on: November 29, 2017, 10:10:17 am »
Santjie lyk nie eers moeg nie!!!  :eek7:

Kyk, daardie meisie eet avontuur vir ontbyt. Dit is fantasties dat jy so 'n stapmaat kon saamvat, en 'n leeftyd se herinneringe kon opbou.

Pragtige foto's ook! Elke keer as ek dit sien dink ek "Jurassic Park se ma"

Ri have sent me some emergency ponchos and I put that on, and we crawled into buvvy bags and sat next to each other. :

I'm really glad they came in handy!  :thumleft:

Yes Ri she is super strong, and I admit I was really tired but nevertheless: we were a team and have made it.
We found many places especially lower down in the ridge which was just not possible to do alone - climbing and slipping where we had to help each other.
So in the end it came down to fitness and endurance.....and my battery ran out while she was still firing on all pistons.
Tons of respect for not leaving me behind, I wanted her to continue but she has decided to stick with me.
Best hiking partner ever!  :thumleft:

My advice for anyone who want to hike on a remote site and difficult terrain regardless of river crossings, mountains and so on - be fit and make sure you have enough chocolate as it gives a lot of energy. Make sure you have a buvvy bag, poncho, emergency blanket, and dry clothing to stick through rain. GPS or a good map (better to have both) and spare batteries. Always take a headlamp as well.....mine is glued together with silicone and still works well - new one on the way. Rather carry heavier than pack to light finding that you are in need.

Again; it was a real adventure and prepared me a lot for the next trip on the island which will be much easier. To summit Edinburgh peak.

Baie slim om te rus en nie Rambo te probeer wees nie.
Stuur groete vir daai YSTER vrou.

Thanks Woody1 I'll sent her regards!!  :thumleft:

Hey tjomma lekker stap report  hoop jy rus uit en pas jouself op ou Mata lyk  na rowwe  terrein
Groet e Z

Thanks Z  :thumleft:

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2589 on: November 29, 2017, 10:33:35 am »
Jeez Tom - now that is a REAL adventure!!

I knew that it was a bad idea to check if you'd finished posting the trip - got some hectic deadlines...........well, there goes the last 30 mins catching up.

When I read that you were having to overnight, I wondered if you had any contact with base to let them know. Clearly not! They must have been stressing a little. Good thing that you used caution instead of trying to carry on - many accidents happen when you're totally moeg.

Fantastic scenery - and a real trip into the past looking at those sealers caves. Also.....no guessing the nationality of the names carved onto that plaque!

I must admit, it does tug at the heartstrings a little to see that seal with the strap around him. A really painful slow way to go.

Anyway - glad you got to tick one of the "bucket list", and that all ended well. Thanks a mill for posting - seems like there's a bunch of us experiencing adventure vicariously through you!

Offline Sam

« Reply #2590 on: November 29, 2017, 10:36:53 am »
Ps -many of us Capetonians know what it's like to muster up the courage to dive into 13 degree water (that's about average on the Atlantic coast here). For those not in the know......it's like an instant "ice-cream headache"......! Strongs to you for doing it in a t-shirt!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2591 on: November 29, 2017, 11:50:08 am »
Ps -many of us Capetonians know what it's like to muster up the courage to dive into 13 degree water (that's about average on the Atlantic coast here). For those not in the know......it's like an instant "ice-cream headache"......! Strongs to you for doing it in a t-shirt!

Yes it's cold but there was not an extra wetsuit and flippers, otherwise we would have dodged the beach with the seals and swam the whole way to the Glen.
Santjie's flippers were to big, we found an old broken pair in the camp store (I knew about them) So she cable tied the flippers to her feet - I kid you not!

Thanks for the post Sam!  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2592 on: November 30, 2017, 12:12:35 am »
3 Days later and we look and feel much better again. We both got a couple of bruises and lacerations (not too bad) from the rocks while swimming.
There is razor sharp growth on the rocks, and we are lucky that it is not longer than a couple millimeters. I am unfortunately not sure what you call this growth - almost like very tiny mussels and red/pinkish in colour.

We have also seen the most beautiful anemones and a soft type of coral. Santjie mentioned that she regret not taking a helmet with and fitting her Gopro to it, and none of us feel like taking on that water again. Maybe after seal breeding season in the vicinity of the base, like around Seal beach or 'tumble down. Really very beautiful but I must say the kelp was sort of scary - it is called Bull kelp and is very slippery/snotty affair.

I tried to take a few pictures yeasterday, but did not do any good really as all the action was too far out and there is not really much left to photograph around the base. So I will see what the weather is like over the weekend, maybe a half day trip somewhere I haven't been lately.

The pics of the Giant petrel could have been nice if it was a tad closer but you'll get the idea and yes the Antarctic turns are all getting ready for their breeding season.
The Atlantic yellow-nosed Albatross chicks are hatching now as well.

Good night  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2593 on: November 30, 2017, 09:26:34 am »
Great imagery in that first photograph, with the bird and its shadow and the kelp  :thumleft:

Offline Would I?

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #2594 on: November 30, 2017, 01:19:58 pm »
Nice adventure. Thanks for the RR.
You either make dust or you eat dust.
KLR 650
KTM 950 Adventure S

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #2595 on: November 30, 2017, 11:15:25 pm »
Thanks for the update.  You sure as hell having one monster adventure.  Tell the Iron Lady well done.  There is a new Tom on Gough

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2596 on: December 01, 2017, 12:03:16 am »
Thanks everyone!  :thumleft:

So month-end means admin, but all done. Currently raining and I am surprised that we still have internet  :peepwall: touch wood  :)

Would you believe me if I say I am getting cabin fever? I kid you not! My mind keeps wondering off to the Mountains....the green outside. So much so that I kept on making trips down to crane point. First to the food store to get some milk for the team (long life milk). I am not using milk as I am lactose intolerant but like said - an excuse to stretch the legs. Obviously always taking the camera with, just for incase. I only saw 2 Sooty Albatross and thought to take a pic or 2 to share.

Goodnight  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: zetman

Offline Sam

« Reply #2597 on: December 01, 2017, 08:56:55 am »
Man......check the colour of that water....! Makes we want to kit up and go blow some bubbles.

Offline Sam

« Reply #2598 on: December 01, 2017, 08:59:28 am »
Beautiful photo. These are def my favourites out of all the species that you've shown.

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2599 on: December 01, 2017, 09:10:58 am »
This "RR" is like a breath of fresh air on this forum!!! Thanks, Tom.

The following users thanked this post: Oubones