Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 375147 times)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2014, 09:02:19 pm »
And the last 2  :)

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #261 on: November 26, 2014, 10:55:05 pm »
Very interesting all the birds.  Are they also very tame, not afraid of humans?  I know on some of these remote islands the birds have so long remained without the presence of predators that they are almost without any fear of humans.  What is like on Gough?
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2014, 11:44:14 pm »
Very interesting all the birds.  Are they also very tame, not afraid of humans?  I know on some of these remote islands the birds have so long remained without the presence of predators that they are almost without any fear of humans.  What is like on Gough?

Just like you said, they are very tame and have no fear of human at all! (or not that we know of!)

The ones you see there in the water are real scavengers, they are called GP's (Giant Petroll)

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #263 on: November 27, 2014, 08:42:11 am »
What all do you guys do down there?  Do you check/investigate fauna and flora, earthworms and the like. What about weather forecasting or is that now all satellite work?   Why is it important to have teams there?  Those places fascinate me.  But I guess I would want to do extensive research using a fishing rod. This weekend I am off to Sterkfontein Dam to do some research on the yellows.  ;D

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #264 on: November 27, 2014, 08:47:28 am »
Do you have any safety harness on when you get hoisted by the crane. That looks like a long drop, with cold water at the bottom. No flotation either!
Without education we have no choice

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #265 on: November 27, 2014, 12:40:40 pm »
What all do you guys do down there?  Do you check/investigate fauna and flora, earthworms and the like. What about weather forecasting or is that now all satellite work?   Why is it important to have teams there?  Those places fascinate me.  But I guess I would want to do extensive research using a fishing rod. This weekend I am off to Sterkfontein Dam to do some research on the yellows.  ;D

Main reason for being here is to man the meteorological station.
Although a great deal of these stations are automated satellite stations  and although they deploy yearly 'weather boys' which float in the Southern Ocean and sent data via satellite it is still important to do 'upper air' readings. This is by means of a hydrogen filled balloon and transponder.

Secondly it is quite important to do some scientific and biological research on the Island. Little is known about the endemic birds, the other sea birds and very important information recorded here recently by attaching little gps transmitters on the Yellow Nose Albatross. We have discovered now where their main source of food is, and that thy fly all the way up to a spot in the sea around the Southern part of Namibia - that will take them only 2-3 weeks!
Also the effect of global warming, and then diet samples to see how the birds/penguins adapt etc.

For me part of base personnel: I need to maintain food and other rations, keep everybody fairly healthy and motivated, make sure everybody do their work and submit reports/data etc on time.

I must admit, I do love my fishing and this is like virgin waters as we even catch snoek from the rocks. However, the alien plant (sagina) has put a brake (uncomfortable but necessary)  on fishing and these spots where we are aloud to fish from is constantly in quarantine as the herbicide need to make a seal or barrier etc. I therefore did not spent much time at all thus far next to the water due to this and not likely going to change but I will make use of all the days when they are busy spraying and that we are aloud in.

Interesting is that the penguins will sometimes scare all the fish away, and they will chase our fishing lures but they will never take the bait! We would have loved to do squid jigging because the stomach content of the penguins shows they are mainly feeding on squid, but just to dangerous from the rocks on a remote site as you need to do it overnight.

Hope you catch a nice Yellow!!  :thumleft:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #266 on: November 27, 2014, 01:01:39 pm »
Do you have any safety harness on when you get hoisted by the crane. That looks like a long drop, with cold water at the bottom. No flotation either!

Hi doc, no we do not use safety harness and is actually supposed to stand or sit inside the personnel carrier with the webbing guarding your back.

The carrier itself is actually a flotation device as it has a double compartment tube inflated at the bottom but this is a different model now with a couple of balls in a circle at the base. This carrier get replaced every year and comes with a certificate where the breaking strain of the lines/webbing etc was tested, flotation and so on.

The reason why we chose to stand: it was almost completely wind still (you don't get that often here) and we have heard of things going wrong in the past where the swell caught the guys down at the ocean and they got caught in the webbing and had a close shave.
Then we had the 3 power boats in the sea below the crane waiting for us.
In the unlikely event of the crane breaking down we will have to consider jumping down into the ocean to be picked up by the powerboats.
We do have life vests as well and maybe not a bad idea to put them on next time around.
I must however ad that should I ever have to jump I would prefer to do it without a life vest as I have done offshore survival course and we had to jump from quite a high platform into the water. There is a way which the tough us to jump with the vest but it is very difficult to keep upright and enter the water straight. I would much rather prefer a flotation device already in the water and jumping into the water without.
Should anything go wrong and an investigation launched I will be in trouble for not standing or sitting inside the carrier.
I think this is probably one of the highest in use on all the islands at over 30 meters!

Online oldmannorman

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • suzuki TS250 ER
« Reply #267 on: November 27, 2014, 04:20:43 pm »
Following this thread is becoming an addiction. Thanks for sharing.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #268 on: November 27, 2014, 05:00:16 pm »

That is a compliment, thanks and I will try my best to post and update on a regular basis.
Just very busy now with month end reports!

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #269 on: November 27, 2014, 05:26:19 pm »

That is a compliment, thanks and I will try my best to post and update on a regular basis.

Well... I hope you are not going to use work as an excuse too much!  ;D

About your fishing activities - are you only allowed to fish in certain areas or is it a matter of accessability.  It seems as if it is not easy to reach the water.  Is that the case all around the island or only where the base is located?  What other catch is available apart from snoek and blouvis?  I like snoek but I am not so sure if I have to eat it every time I have fish...  Anything white and firm like kingklip of hake available as linefish?

Let us know when you get that smoker going...  Hoe water my bek nou.. :drif:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #270 on: November 27, 2014, 05:55:46 pm »

Well... I hope you are not going to use work as an excuse too much!  ;D

About your fishing activities - are you only allowed to fish in certain areas or is it a matter of accessability.  It seems as if it is not easy to reach the water.  Is that the case all around the island or only where the base is located?  What other catch is available apart from snoek and blouvis?  I like snoek but I am not so sure if I have to eat it every time I have fish...  Anything white and firm like kingklip of hake available as linefish?

Let us know when you get that smoker going...  Hoe water my bek nou.. :drif:

:spitcoffee:

It is very difficult to get to the water around the Island, and impossible (other than rope access) in most cases.
Because the alien plant was spread by boots carrying seeds to 'snoekgat' (the best fishing spot on the island) we are not allowed to catch fish either at 'Dieselpoint' or 'Snoekgat' Which is a bit of a frustration as there are other locations which looks promising for fishing.
I don't want to break any rules either because I really want to see the eradication process to be successful.

We also take more measures to prevent the spread of seeds. Al of us have a dedicated 'sagina' pair of boots and we use that boots only in infested areas. We also wash the boots in salt water as sagina seeds dies in salt.
We use another pair of boots outside infested areas.

The fish are indeed and unfortunately limited to a small variety:
1) Snoek
2) false Jacopever
3) Soldier
4) Wreckfish (very hard to land - strong fighter and stripped my line once before from the rockface out!)
5) Southern horse mackeral (small and I sometimes use them for lifebait for snoek)
6) fife fingers (good editable fish and easy to catch - I love to braai them in butter in a pan)
7) Striped trumpeter (just cant get one on the line)
8) klipfish
9) Southern butterfish (bluefish)
10) Broadnose sevengill shark
11) Shortfin Maco shark
12) Blue shark
13) Tristan lobster
14) Octopus and squid

Snoek is the most rewarding, bluefish the best taste. Jaco pever too easy to catch and annoying and Five fingers fairly easy to catch and good in eating although a love or hate taste (I would compare it with Galjoen)

:)

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #271 on: November 27, 2014, 06:01:23 pm »
Thanks for all the info. So you can never be to far away to dodge the usual month end reporting crap. I know reporting is necessary for controls, but I have seen, tho years ago, PWD reporting forms. Is it still lots of trivia?

With those high winds how far is the balloon from the island when it reaches the altitude required?   Do they eventually pop at extreme altitude and fall back to earth?   

I think when you started this "RR" you never thought of the interest it would generate or how busy it would keep you

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #272 on: November 27, 2014, 11:32:53 pm »
Thx for the comprehensive feedback, Tom.  It seems as if you have as many rules in place that control life on the island as we have in ordinary society.  But with that view every day when you wake up I guess it is still worth it over and over.

I will keep reading here and asking questions.  You only have another 12 months to go so good luck there.  :thumleft:

Offline DawieNel

« Reply #273 on: November 28, 2014, 08:59:58 am »
Very interesting and informative reading....   :sip:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #274 on: November 28, 2014, 11:47:28 am »
Thanks for all the info. So you can never be to far away to dodge the usual month end reporting crap. I know reporting is necessary for controls, but I have seen, tho years ago, PWD reporting forms. Is it still lots of trivia?

With those high winds how far is the balloon from the island when it reaches the altitude required?   Do they eventually pop at extreme altitude and fall back to earth?   

I think when you started this "RR" you never thought of the interest it would generate or how busy it would keep you

When I used to work on a UN contract I always said the administration is bigger than the cause as we spent hours and hours behind computer screens, modifying standing operational procedures and in the end the productivity on the ground was less than half of what was achievable.
It is not that big on the islands though, it is only over month ends as well as 'stock take' which happen to be now and then around May next year when we will submit orders for the relief team again. It is however a bit of pressure when you are the team leader to get all the members to hand in on time and then to go through the reports doing anything from spell checks to confirming the facts/data etc. Not really that bad, I make it sound worse than it really is. Today I need to unpack the cold rooms, do a stock take and repack and then include into my report. 

The winds definitely have an effect on the weather balloon but it forms part of the data which is sent back to the launch station via a little instrument called a radiosonde. Temp readings, pressure (very important) and gps as well as the altitude etc and they can go up to 100 000feet or 30 000m roughly.

Yes they pop, sometimes a bit too early and then they need to sent another one. The radiosonde will fall back to earth (very small device) and normally at sea. There are over 800 upper air stations around the world and this forms a very important part of the data capturing and in the end weather forecasts.

I will post some pictures at some stage of the whole procedure and I will ask the meteorologist to launch the balloon myself just for the fun!

Yes I never thought that there will be so many people interested in this tread and I will do my best to keep it nice and informative with many pictures!  :thumleft:

Offline JC

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #275 on: November 28, 2014, 02:06:51 pm »

Yes I never thought that there will be so many people interested in this tread and I will do my best to keep it nice and informative with many pictures!  :thumleft:

dit lees beter as die Rapport  :thumleft:

moenie nou ophou nie

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #276 on: November 29, 2014, 11:44:01 am »

dit lees beter as die Rapport  :thumleft:

moenie nou ophou nie

Baie dankie, ek waardeer!  :thumleft:

I am making progress with the stock take - I just need to unpack the meat cold room tody, count, mark, clean and repack.
All the month end reports are finished now, I am just waiting for the diesel mechanic as he need to do dip readings on the diesel tanks on the last day of the month and then I can submit! Wow.....then finally I'll have some time to get down to diesel point' for some fishing as the quarantine is lifted on condition that I take herbicide with me and spray my footsteps as I exit. All in order to eliminate the spread of the alien segina plant!

A few more photos from the personnel carrier taken by Chris with his Go Pro

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #277 on: November 29, 2014, 11:49:29 am »
Ok  I am off to the cold room now!  :thumleft:

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #278 on: November 29, 2014, 10:06:13 pm »
Some very nice picture there in the last two posts, Tom.   :thumleft:
Those birds seem to be waiting for something.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #279 on: November 29, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »
Some very nice picture there in the last two posts, Tom.   :thumleft:
Those birds seem to be waiting for something.

Thanks, yes Chris used his Go pro, what a great camera especially for videos!

The GP's (Giant petrol's) are scavengers and they are big opportunists.
Very intelligent and also patient.
They will always trail the fisherman as they know that at some stage a fish will be caught and cleaned or smaller fish with no market value like Jaco pevers will be thrown back.
A lot of these fish will not make it due to the speed they are brought up and once the bubble is visible in the mouth they are doomed. So the GP's will just scoop them up!
They can smell death and will always be first to arrive at a dead seal!