Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 312176 times)

Sardine, Vocifer and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2620 on: December 09, 2017, 03:46:35 pm »
Hey Tom, just popped onto your thread to see how you are doing.

You seem to be doing very well, you sound like a different person, filled to the brim with positive vibes and experiences :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

I've been scarce on the forum and I apologize. I'm having a mini adventure of my own. After a period of soul searching I decided to get rid of my business that I felt was sucking up my life. I finally got out last month and have subsequently been busy reorganizing my life and priorities. Financially it's a stressful time but I am incredibly glad I've taken the leap. I'm part of my family again and it's great.

Anyway, we are all on our way tomorrow to the Cape for a long holiday. I just wanted to pass on my best wishes to you for the festive season before we leave.

Best of luck to you Tom :thumleft:
For the love of it.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2621 on: December 10, 2017, 01:49:34 am »
Hey Tom, just popped onto your thread to see how you are doing.

You seem to be doing very well, you sound like a different person, filled to the brim with positive vibes and experiences :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

I've been scarce on the forum and I apologize. I'm having a mini adventure of my own. After a period of soul searching I decided to get rid of my business that I felt was sucking up my life. I finally got out last month and have subsequently been busy reorganizing my life and priorities. Financially it's a stressful time but I am incredibly glad I've taken the leap. I'm part of my family again and it's great.

Anyway, we are all on our way tomorrow to the Cape for a long holiday. I just wanted to pass on my best wishes to you for the festive season before we leave.

Best of luck to you Tom :thumleft:

Thank you so much for the post Wheelie dog, and seasons greetings to you and yours as well!!
I am glad you have taken the leap, I recall you were planning it and I trust that all will work out for you!  :thumleft:

Awesome photo!

RIGHT?!!!!  :drif:

Every time I see an eye popper like this photograph, I think: This could be the front page! But then I think back to e.g. that rockhopper penguin with its baby on its feet... I don't now, there are so, so many. awesome photo's
Shoo, at least I am not the only one that cannot decide what is the best photo.
There are so many really good ones on this thread. :thumleft:

Thanks Oubones and Ri!!  :thumleft:

Thanks Sam  :thumleft:

Jissie Tom, ek sweer jou pics raak by die dag beter.

Hulle gaan jou nog 'n jaar daar hou om die life cycle van .... (insert species here)... te dokumenteer.

Hierdie is by ver my favourite thread
Awesome photo!

Thanks Groenie! I would love to do nature photography or a combination of remote site expedition work and photography.

I know there is still a lot of room for improvement as I am still reading a lot about the subject and try different exposures etc.
I am however sometimes pleased with the results as my gear is not 'pro-rated' but more enthusiast level.
What was an eye opener though; I do not have a good laptop, it has crashed a number of times already and I was just lucky to 'recover' it every time but as result I have lost a lot of memories. However, will not help to cry over spilled milk.
When I had another opperturnety for a parcel I had to make a decision weather I should buy another laptop and take the risk to ship it on the fishing vessel or a back-up camera. So I though with the camera I can continue taking pics if something happens to the main camera. If the laptop give up I still have the pics and can process them at a later stage. Then the other day I had an opperturnety to see my pictures on someones 'Mackbook' in the team and I could not believe it. It looked a lot better and different to what I see when I do the developing from RAW to Jpeg. Now I also have Photoshop (Xpat gave it to me with Lightroom) and I read it is also a very powerful post processing tool. Well my laptop cannot even run the program, so I have a lot to learn still.
Yet hoping that someone could notice me, but I think 'most wanna' bee photographers is walking around with that dream!

Ok just a short post:

Thursday I was once again adviced (isn't that nice!?) by some team members to go on a hike as they could see that I needed it. Yes I show my feelings, and people can see when I have a bit of cabin fever and it does not take much. We had quite a busy working week and a lot hapening, but yes the weather was good and I needed it. So I told Santjie that I would like to go up the Mountain by taking the Goney dale route, cut across the plane to Michales cole and then up to South-peak and down Disney Ridge to where we had to overnight (on the ridge) in the rain 2 weeks ago. I wanted to go there and just photograph that spot to complete the memory and then hike back up to South-peak and then visit all 3 memorial sites where 3 expeditionists past in the 1960's and then hike down back to base from Tafelkoppie. That is a hike and a half for one day, but I am fairly fit and I always wanted to do that 'circle'. So Santjie also asked me to look for her glove which she has lost on the Glen trip, and I thought what is the change but yes I would so love to find it since these gloves are special to her - been on a number of expeditions and then the sentimental value.

Long story short - will follow up with pics but I got her glove right there where we overnight on the ridge. Not often do one find something when you loose it and I know of radios, gps, lenscaps and so many things that people have dropped and never found.

I just want to post a panoramic picture and then the memorials (crosses) of the guys that died on 2 separate occasions in the 1960's in the valley behind Tafelkoppie. I will follow up at some stage with more pictures from this trip!  :thumleft:

RIP: J Smalberger Sept 1963 and A Grobler & J Seyffert July 1969

All 3 of them passed due to exposure. Since then J Roos passed in 1988 while fishing (drowned) and J Hoffman in 2014 (sick)

Another expedition sealer (sealing era) died in the Mountain peaks but I do not have info - I think it was in the late 1800's but under correction.

Goodnight

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2622 on: December 10, 2017, 02:04:51 am »
PS: Ri has asked about the 'Island trees' commonly referred to 'Island tree' but the real name is 'Phylica'
Then there is also only restricted to the Sophora Glen Sophora trees and only a few. It is uncertain why there is oly a few and why they are not multiplying an different theories. They think the trees may have been planted by earlier 'sealers' in the 1800's, and that the mice are eating the seeds and therefore not multiplying but since it is so hard to access this area little is known and maybe they will do more research in future after the mouse eradication program.
I hope you like this picture that I took of the Island tree on the 'Golden highway' (the river that flows from Tafelkoppie area to base)

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2623 on: December 10, 2017, 10:55:22 pm »
So beautiful!! Thanks tom
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #2624 on: December 10, 2017, 11:00:50 pm »
Tom, lot of people can get the technic? Right but you capture just that special moment!
You have talent!
That is not just a pic of a tree, it is a prescious moment caught for ever by you.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2625 on: December 11, 2017, 08:32:49 pm »
Thanks Oubones and Ri  :thumleft:

Ok it has been a bit hectic on our side after my hike and then we try to keep everything in balance - work and social.
This weekend it was Kate's Birthday and we do a lot of effort to make island Birthdays special. It always has a theme and then everyone in the team gets tasked to do something and I had to do the one Birthday cake (just the baking part) as well as croissants for the picnic but before I get there I still need to give feedback on that hike on Friday.

So my mission was to find (try/hope) Santjie's missing glove and then the 3 x memorial crosses and to complete the loop - Goneydale up and Tafelkoppie down.
I have already reported that it was all successful, but yes to go down Disney ridge was an eye opener to me.

First of all once you stand where we did overnight the obvious comes to mind; why did we just not hike out?
Well, like said before I did run out of energy completely after a very long day of hiking, swimming and mountain climbing.
However; if there was still daylight left we would have done it, we only needed less than an hour. Unfortunately for Santjie I slowed he a bit down and we just could not make it out and the ridge is very slippery and steep. Even in 'dry conditions'. When I went down there I just knew that we made the right call because in broad daylight I was slipping and sliding.
In terms of where we spent the night; I was now under no pressure and had more than enough time to look around and see for myself and yes although it was not comfy it was the best spot. We were at-least well protected against the wind.
Not too far back though there was 2 lava walls which they call dikes. Google if you want to learn more than my explanation but it simply is a fracture in the rocks and then new lava push vertically up through the fracture to form these perfect and solid beautiful looking walls which is referred to as 'dikes'. So yes the best option for us would have been to back tract to that very spot but it would not have protected us more although it would have been a bit more comfy and not give on the illusion of slipping down the ridge.

Anyway, we did good. Here is a couple of pictures showing where we bunked for the night:

1.On the way dow from the top of Disney Ridge
2. From the 'sheltered place'
3&4. Got that glove!!
5. The view up from where we 'camped' - rather steep
6. Where my bag lies is where we were resting.
7. I did not had a breakfast the morning and decided to have a brunch on that spot.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2626 on: December 11, 2017, 08:48:02 pm »
Gewonder wat het van jou geword.  Bly jy het weer lekker gestap.  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2627 on: December 11, 2017, 08:52:44 pm »
The reef to the right is just as beautiful but not 'hike-able' without proper climbing gear

1: Reef to the right - area is referred to as the haystack
2. View down Disney into the Glen (Glen not visible to the left)
3. Can't help....sorry. I always have to take a pick of Mount Rowette!!
4 and  5. View down to Goneydale - the plane I had to cross to hike up to this spot on South-peak

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2628 on: December 11, 2017, 09:12:36 pm »
Dankie baas Kobus!  :thumleft: :laughing4:

Tafelkoppie:

When you stand at base and you look straight up to Tafelkoppie you find it almost hard to imagine that there is a clear and deeply eroded trail going all the way up.
It is rather steep at places.
I have asked Santjie to take me a pick from the base - arranged to give her a radio call and this is what I got - love it!  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2629 on: December 11, 2017, 09:24:20 pm »
And then I took a picture from Tafelkoppie towards base:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2630 on: December 11, 2017, 09:30:48 pm »
And who lives on Tafelkoppie?

The Tristan Albatross chick which is fledgling and will soon leave the island to live on the sea for a few years!!

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2631 on: December 12, 2017, 06:59:54 am »
I love the TOM on top of the WORLD photo.  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline trackSHUN

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • KLE500 + XT660R
« Reply #2632 on: December 12, 2017, 07:37:41 am »
Tom, lot of people can get the technic? Right but you capture just that special moment!
You have talent!
That is not just a pic of a tree, it is a prescious moment caught for ever by you.

ABSOLUTELY!!!
The way in which the 3 birds form a concentric border around the tree draws attention to the central object of the image -

I'm not sure if it was intentional, Tom, but if by "pure chance" then it supports Oubones comment that you really do have an intuitive talent for picture composition that supercedes the technical camera skills that you are learning so well.
Keep those pics coming, please  :thumleft:   :3some:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2633 on: December 12, 2017, 10:52:21 am »
What do you mean, "just hike out"?!!  :eek7: :eek7: The whole area looks incredibly steep and slippery and very near unhikable!!

The fact that you and Santjie made it at all is fantastic, and testament to your perseverance. And very well done on finding Santjie's glove, that is wonderful!!

Agreed, Woody1, that Tom on Tafelkoppie is a lovely photo! Maybe that's the album cover we're looking for ;D

Those birds banking around the tree top... truly a stunning, stunning moment captured perfectly.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2634 on: December 12, 2017, 03:58:01 pm »
I love the TOM on top of the WORLD photo.  :thumleft:

And I look much smaller than I really am  :imaposer:

trackSHUN

Thanks for the post, appreciate!  :thumleft: Yes I was waiting for the moment and sometimes one do not have time but since I was coming down the mountain I could spent some time. I spotted Sooty Albatross'es in the vicinity (breeders) and was hoping for a fly by and to get one in the frame. Sometimes I keep both eyes open to see and prepare while getting the exposure setting right. So I got more than I bargained for - was rather pleased with the shot. I also get my times when nothing happens though - but I have some luck  :)

Ri

Glad the pictures are telling the story! Here is another one that I took from the ridge running adjacent Disney to illustrate how steep it is, and we were 'camping' somewhere to the bottom right of the pic.  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2635 on: December 12, 2017, 05:57:27 pm »
There are a couple more pics, some good and other not so good.
I once heard that a photographer said that only one in every thousand of his pictures is striking (good)
So maybe he was joking, I am not sure but one can't get 3 stars next to all of them unfortunately. I cant hike with the camera around the neck, the distances and terrain does not allow for that and then I need to stop and remove the camera from the back-pack and capture what I want and then pack away and continue the hike.

Here are a couple more taken on the same day

1and2: Gough Bunting (Juvenile) on South peak....just came and sat next to me
3-7: Found another Scua nest on the route and the parents were not happy with me - the intruder.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2636 on: December 12, 2017, 06:16:14 pm »
1 and 2: Tristan Albatross Fledgling at the 'Hammocks'

3-6: Atlantic Yellownosed Albatross - chic

7-9 Real bad pics (Very far) of a Southern Wright whale and a Dusky Dolphin

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2637 on: December 12, 2017, 06:42:08 pm »
And Sunday we had Kate's Birthday and it was real nice.
Everyone in the team was tasked to do something, and I have baked (not frosted) the cake and the croissants. The theme was 'under the sea' and the night was rather special with everyone dressed as something in true island tradition.

Herewith just 3 pics of the picnic at 'Admiral and Commodore'

Goodnight  :thumleft:

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2638 on: December 13, 2017, 09:00:13 am »
Fantastic photos again!

Are you using some form of colour filter, or is the green in the landscape pics really that green?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2639 on: December 13, 2017, 02:17:58 pm »
Fantastic photos again!

Are you using some form of colour filter, or is the green in the landscape pics really that green?

Hello Sam!

Just a UV filter on the lens but it does not really saturate the green. I only use it to protect the lens, and I believe it takes a bit of glare and maybe reduce a bit of sunspots. The green and yellow of the ferns are real, and it is actually not always easy to photograph as it produces some form of hue which tend to make highlights in the pictures (also referred to as blinkers)
So on an overcast day is is much easier to get good exposures but then the sea turns into a dull grey which I do not like at all. That tipical gray scenes and you cannot even bring any colours out other than using some sort of post processing filters and then it is easy to end up with a fake photo.

I have till fairly recently exposed to the left (deliberately made my pictures darker to avoid highlights and over saturated greens and yeallows) but the Xpat warned me that I am inducing noice by doing that - fact.
So I have changed my tecnique and is now exposing as far as possible to the right by just (only just) avoiding the highlights and it does wonders. I now do the bare minimum post processing where I previously had to use brushes in the shades etc.

I can reduce (and sometimes do) the green and yellow saturation which is easy, but I mostly leave it as is. Someone also recently commend that my pics looks very 'hdr'ish so maybe it can't heart to be a bit more cautious when I do the post processing.

Cheers!  :thumleft: