Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 321534 times)

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2640 on: December 13, 2017, 03:44:51 pm »
Thanks for the explanation! I was wondering if the lenses were polarised.

The colour differnce is noticable between your current pictures and those that you were taking in winter. Very vivid - for us Capies who're used to seeing brown all the time, it makes a great change.

That picnic you guys had looked like a good time - ideal setting for it! It seems like your current team is "closer" than the last.

Thanks again for the photos - I think your thread is the first stop in the morning for many of us!

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2641 on: December 15, 2017, 08:10:38 am »
Post from Tom:

The ship is currently sailing to Antarctica left on the 9th and they should be back in roughly 2 months time.
The bandwith gets shared, and I just cannot upload a post at this stage on WDs.

The Sooty Albatross and Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross breeding cycle is fairly much the same on Gough.
A little bit more difficult to access the Sooty nests because they prefer breeding on the cliffs opposed to the Yellownosed that breeds more inland on the slopes.
The Tristan Albatross breeds only on top of the Mountains here, and it is the only remaining breeding ground for the species.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2642 on: December 16, 2017, 12:20:56 am »
Thank you Ri

I can manage to get the the 'reply page' but I cannot manage to 'post', it just takes too long and time out eventually.
That now with an attachment and posts from me without pictures is almost worthless. The thread is all about Gough island and to share through pictures what we do experience here.

I just find it hard to understand how the internet works, because I can manage to mail pictures through outlook but I can't manage to upload them to a post.....weird  :patch:
However; just now I have experience problems with sending an e-mail as well and it's like Murphy - just because it was an important mail I was asked to sent. I have a strong sense of responsibility and no-one is in any way going to read it now (12 am in SA) but still I got stressed because it would not go through. Finally through and relieved and now I can read a bit.

The past 2 days was rather good weather and the fieldworkers were doing alien plant eradication on the rock edges with their absailing gear, so I was on medical standby and decided since I can't go anywhere to cut grass with the bush cutter. Thabo said the way I play with the throttle he can hear I am missing my bike  :imaposer: and pok yes I do miss riding my bike a lot. I have recently asked my son to sent me a 'new' picture of my bike, as if that would help  :biggrin:

Anyway, I hope you all have a good weekend and most probably now on holidays!!
Enjoy and have fun. I do not intent to take a break from the forum but may post a little less now because of the troublesome internet....it sometimes drives me nuts when I need to keep refreshing a page and then it only opens half. I may sent some pics to Ri from time to time for an update or just come and do a 'few words'.

Best to all! :thumleft: :laughing4:
Tom

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2643 on: December 18, 2017, 10:51:06 pm »
Hello Wd's

I am going to see if this will upload - a recent hike where I planned to summit Edinburgh peak but senseless as the Weather was not good and I do not want to do it for bragging right, I want to be up there with my camera and take pictures of the island and take in and treasure every moment. So the low clouds and fog made it not possible and I turned around - it was a 9 hour hike (round trip) Edinburgh peak was only 30 min away and then I guess another 30 to the peak.

1: Zach and TVB at North Rowette
2: Selfie with Hacks tooth in the background
3 & 4: Zach continue to Waterfall camp but I turned around due to bad visibility for only a day trip - he is camping there and will summit Edinburgh peak alone and hike around the North  Western area of the island.
5: This is how that beautiful Mount Rowette looks from the Summit with a view down into the Glen. The ridge (Disney) Santjie and I hiked out is now clearly visible to the right and one can see how steep it is. Regardless; the easiest way in and out the Glen from the top.
6: South peak visible from South Rowette

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2644 on: December 19, 2017, 12:30:56 am »
1: Albatross Plane - I do not think the white dots will be visible after resizing the picture but I must say there is a good number of Tristan Albatross this year.
2: On my way back (now without a gps because I insist Zach take mine for a safe journey) the mist came in over Goneydale - I am however rather familiar with this part of the island.
3: Last view from South Rowette before I start climbing down
4: The Tristan Albatross chicks are now fully fledged and the last ones are leaving - this is 'Leanie' (I named her after a cancer patient & friend)
5:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2645 on: December 19, 2017, 01:21:08 am »
An then a couple of random bird pictures

Before that I just want to answer some random question that I sometime get via pm:

I am not in love (romantically) with anyone on the island, and have learned many years back on Marion that Island romance as a rule end up in tears. I am the 'toppie' in the team, but I love this team dearly. They are now my family just as WD's is my family since 2009!
This is my 5th Island expedition and my 4th on Gough island, and my career on Gough:
G54 Medic and Team leader, G60 Medic and Team leader, G62 Medic and G63 Medic. I am no longer interested in the TL position although it was offered to me on the previous expedition. It is hard to be the Medic and leader, and I refer only to be the medic and have more freedom then to do other activities as well.
I am not considering another year after the current one on Gough Island but I do think about Marion and may apply for 2019. This all depends on what's next - I always say that 'Demining' (Landmines), seismic and housekeeping is first price and still feel that way. Love the islands to bits but the long time away from my son and daughter is hard, I miss them a lot.
Yes there is a possibility but it will only be confirmed next year that I may stay longer than planned/anticipated (March 2018) on Gough Island. Once I know I will make a posting.
Then I just want to thank one of the WD's (You know who you are) for the bicycle - delivered in Brits  :thumleft: I posted elsewhere on the forum that I also want to start riding bicycle again to keep my fitness levels up since my work (regardless of what I do) is always physical and I need to maintain a fair amount of fitness. Bicycle is the way to go and I was looking at the common Makro and Game bicycles - that when I got a very nice 'real' bicycle - Great Christmas present and I really do appreciate it. Thanks once again!!  :thumleft:

Ok let's see if this uploads:

1: Tristan Albatross males are now waiting for their partners and building nest while doing just that. I have seen the first Tristan Albatross 'display' for the next breeding season and must say it is something spectacular. I do have some video footage but unfortunately I cannot share (upload) at this stage. Maybe when I am back.
2:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2646 on: December 19, 2017, 07:16:35 am »
Lyk my daai Zak mannetjie is nie lui nie.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2647 on: December 19, 2017, 08:40:54 pm »
1-6 Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross with chicks and the first ones are now left all alone by the parents who makes turns to feed the chicks.
They were rather hot which is evident by the first 2 pics

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2648 on: December 19, 2017, 11:44:04 pm »
Nowadays we are hiking with rather heavy backpacs, lots of extra survival gear. I can recall doing long daytrips with only the camera backpack and 1 liter of water and 1 x emergency chocolate bar, an ankle and knee guard and 2 x crepe bandages.

However; after our unexpected Disney ridge overnight we have realized once again that things can easily change. A simple ankle sprain can be the deciding factor for having to overnight and therefore we are now always carrying a lot of stuff:

Polar fleece
longsleeve shirt - warm
thermals
Dry socs
Medical kit
Emergency shelter: big plastic bag (you buy them for this purpose and an adult fit in there) and a buvvy
Waterproof clothing - complete
Leatherman (I only have a made in China one so I also carry my Swiz army knife)
GPS and spare batteries
Head torch
Radio (which only works line of sight - but it can help)
3 liters of water
Emergency food and other food to keep you going for atleast 2-3 days
A few little extras - like I cannot hike with specs but I carry them with and use when needed.
The pictures I take without my glasses, just keep and eye on my histogram to expose properly.

So I only have space now for the camera with one lens fitted to it, and therefore alternate.
The above pics were all taken with the Nikon d7100 and the Sigma 10/20mm wide angle lens.
I had to sneak up to the birds to get good pics but the lens is an absolute winner when it comes to landscape.

If I am missing anything critical on my backpack please share the thoughts!

Zach is back from the Mountain and had a hard time up there. He experienced terrible galeforce winds and mist - it never opened up but still had a good time.
Woody1 you are right, Zach do not do lazy and we became very good friends!  :thumleft:

Today we made a very nice wooden table/bench combination - I cut all the planks yeasterday and today Peter and Santjie joined and we build it.
Came out very nice - solid and beautiful. I'll see if I can get a picture or two uploaded soon. Just as we finished and packed away the tools the rain started.
Once it is dry I will sand it a bit more and treat it with some kind of outdoor varnish.

Goodnight!  :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #2649 on: December 20, 2017, 05:24:33 am »
Another nice pic this last one!
That survival bag/ emergency shelter is always a winner.
I have put my whole hiking kit in one, swam through a river woth everything coming out dry.
Ventilation when sleeping in it is just something to take care off.
Feet into the wind and sleep on your side.
Do you have one of those spaceblankets along?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:26:55 am by Oubones »
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #2650 on: December 20, 2017, 06:50:56 am »
A length of 4mm "parachute" cord will come in handy. With a bit of confidence you can even abseil with it.
Leonardo da Vinci, Art is never finished, only abandoned.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2651 on: December 20, 2017, 07:12:46 am »
That baby bird peeking out from under parent's wing is gorgeous  :biggrin:
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2652 on: December 21, 2017, 12:58:26 am »
Another nice pic this last one!
That survival bag/ emergency shelter is always a winner.
I have put my whole hiking kit in one, swam through a river woth everything coming out dry.
Ventilation when sleeping in it is just something to take care off.
Feet into the wind and sleep on your side.
Do you have one of those spaceblankets along?

Yes Oubones I agree, I will never go anywhere without one and I always carry 2 x Space blankets as well since they are very compact  :thumleft:

'Geriatrix'

Thank you doc, noted. I do not have real paracord with me unfortunately but I do have some very strong Nylon string and will add a good length to my kit  :thumleft:

'Ri'

Agree Ri - the Atlantic Yellow-nosed chicks are at this stage really sweet looking birdies. Love them to bits!

We are having heavy rainfall for the past 24 hours, and much needed as we are dependent on it for our base. We do not have a lot of reserve once the river stops flowing and the river is more like a stream compared to 'real rivers'. Gough Island have heavy rainfall throughout the year but during the summer it is quite common to run dry for a few days at base. We have therefore made provision and stored extra water for flushing toilets. We can go without a shower for a few days, and skip doing washing but the main issue is flushing toilets and having enough drinking water and water for cooking. Anyway, happy for the rain since it gave me extra time at base and I got time to finish my Christmas present - we are doing a 'secret Santa' and it is fun to be creative and make a nice present for a team mate.

Goodnight!  :thumleft:

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2653 on: December 21, 2017, 10:36:10 am »
Looks like there might be some weather on its way in to CT too. Hopefully some of that rain will make it our way. It always used to rain at christmas time, but hasn't done so for quite a few years now.

What is that scua in the last pic carrying? Piece of fish? Fantastic action photo that one!

Does the team make an effort for Chrismas dinner etc?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2654 on: December 21, 2017, 01:51:23 pm »
Looks like there might be some weather on its way in to CT too. Hopefully some of that rain will make it our way. It always used to rain at christmas time, but hasn't done so for quite a few years now.

What is that scua in the last pic carrying? Piece of fish? Fantastic action photo that one!

Does the team make an effort for Chrismas dinner etc?
Hi Sam!

The Scua had what appeared to be a Mcgilvery prion (seabird) in his  beak and then  the other scuas  tried to take it from him. The are preditors and eat anything from penguin chicks to birds (even injured scuas) and  dead seals. The scavengers are the Giant Petrels here and they prey on any dead or half dead thing. Scuas even go after birds in burrows like the great Shearwaters.

Hope you get some Christmas rain!

We have planned Christmas dinner last night. I  am doing the roasts (leg of lamb and pork), someone else the veggies and some puddings....basically everyone is bri ging something to the table. One Ausie girl (from Tasmania) will make sesfood as it is traditional to them to have seafood over the festive season. Anything goed and I think there will be no need to cook for a couple of days after Christmas since there should be a lot of leftovers in the fridge :)

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #2655 on: December 27, 2017, 09:59:58 am »
what a cool catchup,keep up the good work Tom
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2656 on: December 28, 2017, 07:30:48 am »
Let me try again - probably 5th attempt:

Seasons Greetings to all the WD's!! May 2018 be a great your to you and yours!!

Best Regards
Tom

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2657 on: December 28, 2017, 07:42:04 am »
Same to you Tom!!

That Christmas party looks awesome - what did you make, and what did you get?

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2658 on: December 28, 2017, 08:16:22 am »
Lyk lekker gesellig

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2659 on: December 29, 2017, 03:31:52 pm »
Same to you Tom!!

That Christmas party looks awesome - what did you make, and what did you get?

It was good Ri, thanks!

The most popular thing to make is some sort of an 'island map'. I got one from Thabo and made one for Santjie
This is the one I have made: