Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 271443 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2820 on: February 24, 2018, 01:20:37 am »
Daai KWV keps lyk BAIE bekend. :imaposer:

That KWV golf cap was sponsored to us 10 years ago for Marion 63, just shows you how well I look after my stuff!!  :thumleft:

Van tande boor, houtwerk tot welding. Talentvol

Medic en safety en kyk waar staan jy op 'n leer....  Ai   (waar is die facepalm smiley)

:peepwall: :peepwall:

I deserve an 'uitkak' for that one.... It reminds me of our WD friend Bensien that fell from a ladder 2 years ago and almost had to quit bike riding due to serious injuries. But yes we need to be multiskilled and willing to step out of the comfort zone at times to function effectively on the island.

Medic en safety en kyk waar staan jy op 'n leer..

Wonder wie medic die medic in n leerval geval. :eek7:

Die pikkewyne & albatraoose, want hulle rol hom sommer net by die hyskraan se krans af direk in die see in. >:D

Recycling, the lobster will have a feast  :imaposer: :imaposer:

I was wondering just the other day why our Government does not allow a sea burial as I can recall that it was legally practiced in some other countries when someone died on a ship. I should google that sometime and read up more about it, but it makes perfect sense to me. I was looking at my medical equipment just the other day and saw the 'body bags' thinking how sad it must have been for the team members previously when teammates passed. When you are dead you're dead but the poor people staying behind having to deal with it especially on a remote site, now that's sad.

Anyway, I trust you all ok and having a great weekend!  :thumleft: 

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2821 on: February 26, 2018, 09:38:14 am »
Hi Tom - thanks for the fantastic pics. The colours in the landscape are really surreal - you could almost be sitting somewhere in the highlands of Scotland.

Nice shots of the "mossie" too - heh!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2822 on: February 26, 2018, 11:42:05 pm »
Hi Tom - thanks for the fantastic pics. The colours in the landscape are really surreal - you could almost be sitting somewhere in the highlands of Scotland.

Nice shots of the "mossie" too - heh!

Eish you and Woody with your mossies  :bueller: :patch:

Yes I cannot recall who told me but think it may have been one of the girls during take over that hiked up the mountain with me; she said her grandpa used to say you get all the shades o green in Ireland but sure now she understands what he was trying to say. Here you get from lime green with weird 'hue' to dark green and even 'green-blue pastel' colours. So yes Gough's greens is in a way surreal and then I sometimes enhance that with a bit of saturation where I should actually reduce saturation. Thing is I we all see differently as well I have learned, and I have developed some style with the photographs and think I need to look more at other peoples pics to develop my RAW files more correct. Till recently I have tried to be too arty with my camera and as result buggered up pics that could have been real good. I did not know that a lens (some) performs better (sharp) at around f8 and have shot more open which result in way more soft pics. So we learn, and I have some time left here. In fact, tomorrow is going to be a huge hiking experience. I have worked hard to get this day off, and Zach and I will leave early morning for a 12 to 14 hour hike. Basically we are going to use all the daylight, and I really hope to bring you good pics from this hike. Very excited and hope I can have a good nightrest. I will report back soon!  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2823 on: February 27, 2018, 10:18:10 pm »
Ok we are back from a much shorter hike. Zach and I left at 6am sharp after 2 x Espressos and I probably only woke up after the second river crossing. I did not sleep well as I was looking forward to this trip. Anyway, we hiked up to the emergency supply container on top of the mountain at Goneydale and then we had a quick breakfast. We did that stretch in just 2 hours and 5 minutes and I told Zach how ironic it is that most people will think of it as a great hike and achievement like hiking up Table mountain for example....well our trip only starts like most other at that container after hiking up a mountain putting 5.5km's between us and the base. We then proceeded to hike up MIchaels cole and then up to South Peak to the start of Disney ridge. We then entered Disney only to freeze in our footsteps and can the trip. The ridge was just too slippery after the last rains and there was also various small landslides visible and we just realized it is looking for trouble to go out and scout that ridge. So that was it, and we felt a little little sad and decided to see how the island look towards the (unofficial name) 'death valley' (Where 3 expeditionists lost their lives due to exposure) At the first memorial cross Zach and I decided to split up and I proceeded on that ridge towards the 'haystack' while he went on towards the back of Tafelkoppie.

I was close to the Haystack when the low clouds just came in and there was a complete whiteout which lasted real long. I did take a couple of pics just before this happened and then start hiking back towards Goneydale. Santjie and Peter was visible on Michaels cole where they were having their lunch but I did not join them but opt for me time with the mighty Tristan Albatross. I did take a lot of pics again and will edit/develop them tomorrow or sometime soon and share the best. Yes I know how many bird pics till we all get bored but please bear with me, that is unfortunately all I have and all I can share. I would so love to hike to more places and share something different but it is not possible. I am after all the medic and is supposed to be 'base bound' So it is a big privilege to be able to hike without issues as it is not really approved by the department.

In the end the extension of my contract does not really bring me any additional perks other than employment, but I am very grateful because I was not ready to come back and try and make a living. The extra year buys me some time, and I hope to get some sort of opportunity towards the end. For now this is what I have, and I am loving it!

Goodnight

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2824 on: February 28, 2018, 03:44:54 am »
Looking forward to the pics Tom.

I'm really glad you are happy again. Keep that positive spirit.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #2825 on: February 28, 2018, 05:40:21 am »

Yip, and no we love your pics and do not find it boring at all!
I am sure that your positiveness will bring you on a good new road when you are back here! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2826 on: February 28, 2018, 06:59:05 am »
Solank ek af en toe 'n Mossie fotie kry is ek happy. :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2827 on: February 28, 2018, 07:03:02 am »
I have a challenge for you.

One thing I found interesting on Marion was watching the Gentoo chicks.
When they have a shit, they move to the edge of the nest bend down slightly and let rip...over the wall, one white stripe of poo.

We need an action shot. :thumleft:

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2828 on: February 28, 2018, 06:10:51 pm »
Solank ek af en toe 'n Mossie fotie kry is ek happy. :laughing4:

I did manage to get a stunning pic of a Juvenile Bunting (mossie  :patch: ) yesteday on South peak. I only had the Tamron 18/50mm  lens and still managed a real nice pic. They are always on the move, real fast moving little birds and I am still puzzled how seed eaters (only one species) got to this remote island. I will post the pic once all are developed and resized.

I have a challenge for you.

One thing I found interesting on Marion was watching the Gentoo chicks.
When they have a shit, they move to the edge of the nest bend down slightly and let rip...over the wall, one white stripe of poo.

We need an action shot. :thumleft:

That is actually a big challenge Woody because the Rockhoppers do not give one an indication that it's time for a number 2 like the Gentoos did. However; I am planning to go down to Tumble down beach soon and will see if I can get an action shot  :imaposer:

Yip, and no we love your pics and do not find it boring at all!
I am sure that your positiveness will bring you on a good new road when you are back here! :thumleft:

Thanks Mr. Zog and Oubones  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2829 on: February 28, 2018, 11:16:08 pm »
A Mossie for baas Kobus and Svend  :patch:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2830 on: February 28, 2018, 11:58:44 pm »
1: A panoramic view from South peak
2: South Peak
3: The Haystack to the far right - the day's hike turned out to be 17.3km's according to Mr garmen.
4: Rowetts in the background

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2831 on: March 01, 2018, 12:28:49 am »
The pic from South peak in previous post: Zach is standing right at the memorial cross where the one expedition member passed years back  :'(

1 and 2: Tafelkoppie in the center back and we decided to split up to do our 'own thing'

3: Love these panorama views although the downside is a compromise in photo quality but it gives one better perspective of the terrain I think.

4: The blue spec is both Santjie and Peter in 'Michaels cole', not sure if you will be able to spot it but basically right in the 'dip' in front of South Rowett.

5: I always like to take a pic of 'Disney ridge Window' (to the right of the pic)

It is raining and time to hit the sack. I hope this will upload and tomorrow I will load rather stunning pictures (in my view) of the Tristan Albatross.
Good night  :thumleft:

Offline Sam

« Reply #2832 on: March 01, 2018, 08:45:45 am »
Wow - fantastic photos!

The one's with the mossie with the shallow field of depth are great!

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2833 on: March 02, 2018, 12:23:16 pm »
The Bird Man sent more photo's:

Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2834 on: March 02, 2018, 12:26:07 pm »
Moerse Mossies.  :laughing4:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2835 on: March 02, 2018, 01:27:39 pm »
Thanks Ri!  :thumleft:

Moerse Mossies.  :laughing4:

:imaposer:

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2836 on: March 02, 2018, 02:09:58 pm »
Absolutely amazing pics of such a dramatic place!

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #2837 on: March 05, 2018, 06:32:33 am »
Top quality Tom  :deal:
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #2838 on: March 05, 2018, 07:08:20 am »
Hi Tom.  Is there any further news on the mice eradication programme

Offline Sam

« Reply #2839 on: March 05, 2018, 03:13:25 pm »
Hi Tom,

Fantastic photos again. Are those Albatrosses that tame and curious that they just come up to you and start gnawing on your boot?

They really are beautiful creatures.