Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 304513 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2860 on: March 18, 2018, 01:27:13 am »
Hello WD's

Yesterday the field workers reported that the guide rope over the second river is shot and need replacement asap. With Winter now approaching and heavy rainfall the last thing you need is the rope breaking and as result ride a natural super-tube down a waterfall up to where the river spit you out into the sea!

So I volunteered and pok man, I forgot how heavy a rope is especially when you need to carry it on a deep muddy and slipper trail. Anyway, got it fixed and used the famous 'follow through' figure of 8 knot. Once done I rolled up all the excess rope and left it for my return trip on the path. Hiked up to Goneydale and wow!! Saw a couple of Tristan Albatross chicks pipping the eggs (they do make sounds - real 'talking eggs'!!) and also saw a very small new born.

Herewith the pictures of my trip:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2861 on: March 18, 2018, 01:41:17 am »
Tristan Albatross

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2862 on: March 18, 2018, 02:05:22 am »
I did find Jaimie up there and she agreed to show me some chicks. Sadly there are already some failed nests due to the mice.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2863 on: March 18, 2018, 02:22:26 am »
 :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2864 on: March 18, 2018, 02:32:37 am »
Very weird colour on this Tristan Albatross beak - I did tell Jaimie that people will think I have saturated the pick but no.....weirdly natural and only on this bird!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2865 on: March 18, 2018, 02:38:07 am »
That's it!  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #2866 on: March 18, 2018, 07:42:07 am »

Thanks for the lovely photo's Tom! It opens up a special world.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2867 on: March 18, 2018, 09:01:52 am »
Fantastic timing. :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2868 on: March 18, 2018, 02:12:21 pm »
This morning the Le Lyrial sailed by and had a radio sketch with Santjie.
One of the most beautiful tourist ships you will see in these waters!

Weather was bad, raining and hazy and the ship was rather far out but I managed some reasonable shots.
Also saw the juvenile Antarctic tern playing in the water  :)

The following users thanked this post: ClemS

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #2869 on: March 18, 2018, 06:46:50 pm »
Awesome photos Tom  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #2870 on: March 18, 2018, 06:56:54 pm »
Stunning photos
Thank you
Rallye

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2871 on: March 19, 2018, 09:07:30 am »
Fantastic photos - thanks for sharing!

That soaked chick does not look overly impressed with its situation.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2872 on: March 19, 2018, 02:09:13 pm »

Thanks to all  :thumleft:

Yes Sam the yellownosed chick looked a bit under the weather but sadly also became a victim of the mice and died 2 days later as result. When I hiked out with the rope to the river she was just gone. For a minute I thought to take a photo and share but I could not get myself taking a picture of a dead bird. It is really sad and so many nests have failed this year due to the mice. So yes like said before; that mouse eradication is overdue and I am very excited about the program going ahead to get rid of the little monsters. Mice eat anything, even their own. If we do not clear the snap traps very soon they start eating their own species. At some stage we had to catch mice and keep them life for bait trial runs and there I witnessed the first time that they wait till one of their own is weak and then just start chowing it alive, the same way as they do with the seabird chics. So yes I do hope and many other that the mouse eradication on Gough Island will be a success.

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #2873 on: March 19, 2018, 09:49:19 pm »
The figure 8 - strongest in the business  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2874 on: March 20, 2018, 09:23:02 pm »
Little out of the ordinary things that excites our islanders: Today I continued my stocktaking of the medical consumables and looked out the window and there is something that does not belong here, a Cattle Egret! So I carefully slid the window open and fired a couple of shots. Unfortunately the bird did not hang around and took off again. It happens every year around this time and some uncertainty as to why and where but most likely from South America underway to South Africa they say.

Herewith the pics:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2875 on: March 22, 2018, 02:57:15 am »
Flippen onwettige immigrant!

Bring siektes en pestilensie  :pot:  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Awesome om so iets te sien! Lekker vinning op die "sneller" met daai kamera  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #2876 on: March 22, 2018, 09:21:02 am »

Thanks to all  :thumleft:

Yes Sam the yellownosed chick looked a bit under the weather but sadly also became a victim of the mice and died 2 days later as result. When I hiked out with the rope to the river she was just gone. For a minute I thought to take a photo and share but I could not get myself taking a picture of a dead bird. It is really sad and so many nests have failed this year due to the mice. So yes like said before; that mouse eradication is overdue and I am very excited about the program going ahead to get rid of the little monsters. Mice eat anything, even their own. If we do not clear the snap traps very soon they start eating their own species. At some stage we had to catch mice and keep them life for bait trial runs and there I witnessed the first time that they wait till one of their own is weak and then just start chowing it alive, the same way as they do with the seabird chics. So yes I do hope and many other that the mouse eradication on Gough Island will be a success.

Ag no - that is a kak one to hear. Hope the eradicators eradicate the hell out of those little f*ckers.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2877 on: March 24, 2018, 12:46:01 am »
Ocean Adventurer visited today - they arrived from South Georgia Island, the no1 place in the world I would ever want to see.

The were anchored in front of Quest bay where Ernest Shackleton also landed on the Rowette expedition. I cannot recall the exact date now but it was around 1921.

The put Zodiacs in the water and boated the passengers up and down Quest and Long beach. They also made a turn at the base briefly but the swell was very bad on our side as can be seen with the attached ship pictures.

I also did go for fishing the late afternoon and was lucky to catch a decent size snoek on handline. Unfortunately only my long lens on the camera and my selfie suck but you will get the idea.

Also baked a lekker bread today, I do not eat bread often but do crave it sometimes and then I bake one  :)

Have a good weekend!  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2878 on: March 24, 2018, 12:48:49 am »
 :thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2879 on: March 24, 2018, 07:39:16 am »
Vars brood bly maar lekker.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600