Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 483040 times)

goodtoogo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Copernicus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #320 on: December 10, 2014, 11:12:01 pm »
Why so quiet, Thom?  Working on the Christmas lunch menu or did the wind blow your comms away?
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Gypsybaron

• It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #321 on: December 11, 2014, 12:17:34 am »
Nope - his internet time is being logged now - the web is only for "official business"
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

Offline Gypsybaron

• It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #322 on: December 11, 2014, 12:25:46 am »
And if he doesn't comply, he'll have to swim back :biggrin: :imaposer:
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #323 on: December 11, 2014, 08:06:31 am »
Sort seker die dronk kinders uit... :peepwall:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline travelAnt

« Reply #324 on: December 12, 2014, 12:01:04 pm »
Heng,Thom dit is n interressante thread.n Mens leef jou so in die gebeurtelikhede in,
dat n ou skoon jaloers is op die voorreg wat jy het om daar te wees.
Baie dankie vir al die inligting.

Offline ClemS

« Reply #325 on: December 12, 2014, 02:00:31 pm »
 :sip:
The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #326 on: December 13, 2014, 11:48:38 am »
According to the weather sites it is blowing near gale force winds today. That rules out the fishing and the generator is now fixed.  That means it must be some reports he must be writing for HQ.  he would NEVER keep us waiting in such suspense for so long..............or would he?    :pot:

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #327 on: December 13, 2014, 01:15:34 pm »
They blocked his access to W/D's.  Internet access is limited on the islands and should only be used for work they say.

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #328 on: December 13, 2014, 11:05:17 pm »
Schiester bastards fly first class or hire planes for flights around the world.   Not to mention the money pissed against the wall due to gross incompetence in the Divani fiasco.   I wonder how much the total amount of the tax (VAT, excise duties, levies included) the WD fraternity has paid this fiscal year?  How much can be used?  10GB per year?   

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #329 on: December 14, 2014, 09:38:41 pm »
They blocked his access to W/D's.  Internet access is limited on the islands and should only be used for work they say.

Jeez, thats narrow minded. Normally organisations like this will pay for advertising to promote what they are doing. Such 70s thinking.  Farking stone age thinking. Blocking the internet for what it is so good at doing - connecting people....  Brain dead thinking.

Can we 'las' a few bob to buy them some bandwidth ffs?

Offline DawieNel

« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2014, 01:37:04 pm »

Sulke @#$*'s  :xxbah: >:(

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:03 pm »
They blocked his internet, only for "work-related" business. What a bunch of twatwaffles  :xxbah:

Do they have any idea how it can affect someone psychologically, sitting on a pimple in an endless sea, and not having access to friends, family, etc via the net?

Jissis they are futup  :xxbah:  :eek7:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #332 on: December 16, 2014, 12:23:24 am »
If anybody has access to him please let him know how we all feel. I hope he is keeping a diary. This will be a reort of note

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #333 on: December 16, 2014, 07:53:25 am »
Try looking him up on FACEBOOK.  He is battling to get Facebook access all the time, but he is trying his best.

Tom Mc Sherry Pretoria.

Hy is daar af en toe.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #334 on: December 16, 2014, 08:32:04 am »
Woody, is there nobody that you can contact to try and get his internet opened again? Some old contact that you may still know from your days out there?

Or maybe just post the details of the twat who made the kak decision, then we can all spam him/her to get it changed  :pot:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #335 on: December 16, 2014, 08:36:43 am »
No sorry.

I used to deal with a guy that was doing the technical setup on the old V-Sat system back then.
He has left and is working on the oil platforms now I think.

They fall under DEAT... Dep. of Environmental Affairs.... maybe spam them.  :thumleft:

Offline Ras

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #336 on: December 16, 2014, 07:13:12 pm »
From Tom himself

The Sattelite system works as follows: 3 bases: Antarctica, Marion Island and Gough Island. When she ship sails she get a percentage (now it's divided between 4 instead of one) The ship has just reached Antarctica (today the 16th) and will remain in Arctic waters deploying weather boys and off loading as well as back loading up until mid January when she is expected to dock in CT closer to the end of January. Unlike the slow connection (I can't access anything anymore as all is timing out) our own 'Ibuck' system is now breaking down and overheating to the extend where we had no internet at all. We have a replacement model but it is not plug a play and we can not get it to work as the cable to connect to the control unit is wrong! We managed to make up a new one and now we don't have a password and need to contact the service provider via e mail or satellite phone. At this stage I have connected the Ibuck to run inside a bar fridge and it runs for a minite or 2, cuts and so it goes...on and off 24/7. Despite this we have realized that the generator is cooked (the alternator part that generate electricity) and we will run on the remaining 2 for the rest of the year and I don't foresee issues whit that as we service every 10 days and alternates between the 2 machines. The refrigerator units is however still hassling an tomorrow I will start working on them. At this stage running on a spare unit (compressor unit) which also gives faulty codes. Gough is a great Island, but the challenges is keeping me away from the fish water as well as the social media. So if/when we do get the satellite system sorted will I try at some stage to 1: take a break and do some fishing, 2: try to catch up with friends. The bandwidth' thing is also an old standing rule which I amongst others has "stretched' a little and maybe coming from me a bit to far. I can't be a hypocrite by telling the team members we are not allowed to be on all these web pages, you tube etc and then get stuck on them myself. I have therefore (just to force the communication policy of the DEA on myself and not to trespass) asked a Mod to lock my account till I am back next year October and if you still remember that there was a thread and a little spot in the World called 'Gough Island' I would update it for you all. Best Regards and happy holidays! Tom

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #337 on: September 07, 2015, 05:36:38 pm »
anyone had any news from Tom? he must be due back soonish?
i only work to support my hobbies!!

Offline dual

« Reply #338 on: September 07, 2015, 05:46:05 pm »
'n Post van Tom van gister - hoop dit dra sy goedkeuring weg

"Skip kom nou Saterdag hier aan as die Heer wil, en dan is dit n hectic 3 week oorhandiging en ons sal aandoen by Tristan da Cunha eiland vir 2 dae. Ons behoort 8 Oktober terug te wees in die Kaap"

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #339 on: September 07, 2015, 07:26:22 pm »
thanks dual, just caught up on his fb page  :thumleft: :thumleft:
i only work to support my hobbies!!