Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 484386 times)

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #340 on: September 07, 2015, 07:50:31 pm »
Jeez, i missed my Gough Island fix.

Nearly home Tom :thumleft:

Offline T Rex

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #341 on: September 07, 2015, 08:18:11 pm »
'n Post van Tom van gister - hoop dit dra sy goedkeuring weg

"Skip kom nou Saterdag hier aan as die Heer wil, en dan is dit n hectic 3 week oorhandiging en ons sal aandoen by Tristan da Cunha eiland vir 2 dae. Ons behoort 8 Oktober terug te wees in die Kaap"

:thumleft:

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
« Reply #342 on: September 07, 2015, 08:28:07 pm »
Jeez, i missed my Gough Island fix
yeah me too  ;D
i only work to support my hobbies!!

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #343 on: December 30, 2015, 02:49:34 pm »
This thread is waiting for you to be updated, Tom.  ;D
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Tom van Brits

Re:
« Reply #344 on: December 30, 2015, 03:51:57 pm »
Hmmmm......maybe I should update it yes😃😆😅

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Offline Tom van Brits

Re:
« Reply #345 on: January 01, 2016, 09:48:10 pm »
Ps.....Gough Island is the most beautiful place on earth for me but way to lonely. Yes I am a bachelor and sort of a loner but that island gives New meaning to loneliness! !! To share a remote island with only 7 other team members for a year, and half of them are always out on the move or on night shift. ....eina. comming back from Gough is the worst part......to find work again and to become 'normal' again..... :) But we were very privalaged to be there.  I have been on Gough for 2 expeditions and would probably go again but it is time to say goodbye and fair well now.... I have joined the NSRI now voluntarily on Harties now (yes I was also surprised to find NSRI inland) and looking for work......day in and day out. My New Year was lonely because I decided to study for an upcoming course, and still on the job hunt but it will come soon and I will be happy to update. I will update this thread with a bit of island fotos, takeover news etc at some stage. Happy New year to all!

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
« Reply #346 on: January 01, 2016, 10:09:42 pm »
aaahh it lives  :laughing4: looking forward to it Tom  :deal:
i only work to support my hobbies!!

Online trackSHUN

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • KLE500 + XT660R
« Reply #347 on: January 04, 2016, 11:35:38 am »
It's true - TVB is back among us !!!!

*** WELCOME ***

Looking forward to your "trip report" Tom .... 

Offline Tom van Brits

Re:
« Reply #348 on: January 05, 2016, 05:05:59 pm »
Thanks mate, just a bit hectic studying for a short course to better my changes for another contract.  Once all calm I will update :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #349 on: June 24, 2016, 10:05:54 pm »
It has been a while since I have posted in this thread. I have actually deleted my old 'TVB' account, and later 're registered' as Hillman which was changed into my current 'Tom van Brits'. Old account was opened while I was on Gough Island in 2008/9 (G54) and when I went down again I actually decided one day after another 'uitkak' about the bandwith that we use to rather stay out of trouble and set a good example as an expedition leader. So I knew the only way to prevent me from logging on was to to rather delete the account and focus on a good time on the island catching fish, and doing some work ;) Our internet issues somehow recovered later, the culprit being a fried IBUCK - hence the re-registration.

I do hold the official record of the biggest fish ever caught from the shore, and believe it on hand line!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #350 on: June 24, 2016, 10:13:34 pm »
I am flying down on Tuesday for an interview, position: 'Medical orderly' Gough 62

So I decided to post you guys a couple of pictures but now my internet dongle gives me hassles.
I am buy the way now 9 months without work...Gough 60 was my last paying job, and I am running on reserves of my savings. If I do not get this position....well I guess I should stay positive and hope to revive this thread with the continuous 3rd Gough expedition of TVB if there is interest. This time around I shall put in more effort and regular postings. Just a few pictures (if my internet cooperates of our backloading of expired frozens. I love helicopter work although they scare me, I have many flying hours ranging from demining medic, PSD security and medic - search and rescue in choppers but although they are great in saving lives I am always half scared to fly .....but I am still around and taking into account how many hours I have spent in them it should be concidered safe...ish

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #351 on: June 24, 2016, 10:17:55 pm »
Here I am standing on the monkey deck of the SA Agulhas 2 at Tristan da Cunha island on the way down - 2014 September

Edenburg of the seven seas is the name of the town - less than 300 permanent residents - I love these humble people

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #352 on: June 24, 2016, 10:20:00 pm »
And here I am doing the ground checks and play the signal man for the helicopter at the end of take over as it is about to leave - only to return 12 months later.

Goodnight :thumleft:

Offline Patrol

« Reply #353 on: June 24, 2016, 10:31:59 pm »
Good luck with the interview we know that the outcome will be positive...and we look forward to another awesome update  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #354 on: June 24, 2016, 10:41:11 pm »
Good luck with the interview we know that the outcome will be positive...and we look forward to another awesome update  :thumleft:
Thanks mate, I need it badly and love this islsnd a lot. Tiny it is, only a 1000m at higest peaks from the seabed, and 6,5km wide on avg, and just short of 14 kilometers.
However, these islands are the peaks of mountains in the sea, the South Atlantic ridge.
Sea is the deapest here, 4000m plus, so imagine this uge  mountain range!

No permanent residents, so actually uninhabited although the meteorogical station is manned now for 61years by South Africans.
Tristan da Cunha is the most remote inhabited island, I love that place a lot.

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
Re:
« Reply #355 on: June 25, 2016, 04:02:48 am »
Sterkte ou Tom, laat weet hoe dit gaan maar ek glo jy sal die werk kry. Daai eilande is jou kos.
'Tis the time’s plague, when madmen lead the blind.

King Lear

Offline VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #356 on: June 25, 2016, 06:15:38 am »
Jissou ou maat. Dit is nou sleg van die droogte van werk op die stadium en ek glo en hoop dat die een die een is. Wat ek wel benei van  julle ouens is die feit dat julle so baie plekke sien en beleef. Dit sal darem maar interessant en lekker wees om van die plekke kan besoek.
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #357 on: June 25, 2016, 06:49:39 am »
Vat my saam.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #358 on: June 25, 2016, 07:31:48 am »
Enjoy the Island, and keep warm.
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: Re:
« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2016, 08:53:07 am »
Sterkte ou Tom, laat weet hoe dit gaan maar ek glo jy sal die werk kry. Daai eilande is jou kos.
Dankie Johan, ek hoop van harte. Ek is bitter passievol oor die eilande, die seil op die skip is besonders en vernaam die aandoen by Tristan da Cunha eiland. Dis n lang ekspedisie maar dis wat ek nodig het om finansieel my kop bo water te kry.  Dis nie groot salarisse nie (staatsdiens) maar dis goed genoeg by verre vir my en mens kry jou kos en klere sommer ook verniet vir die jaar.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk