Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 295336 times)

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3500 on: October 20, 2018, 09:33:44 am »
Nee man Tom, as my vrou sien jy het jou baard geskeer dan gaan sy weer met my kla oor myne!
Sterkte met al die vreemde dinge en as jy Toti om Kaap toe skree dat ek jou darem net iewers kan vaskeer al is dit net vir vinnige bladskud, of meer afhangende van tyd! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline gmac

« Reply #3501 on: October 22, 2018, 09:50:26 pm »
'Super-sized' mice threaten seabird colonies with extinction http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45918770

The mice are making main stream news

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3502 on: October 22, 2018, 10:04:33 pm »
'Super-sized' mice threaten seabird colonies with extinction http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45918770

The mice are making main stream news

Thanks for the Link gmac! I did meet Alex Bond back in 2014 (G60) but he has just left the RSPB
Mr Richard Hall (Dicky) is now the PM wrt the mice eradication. Brilliant guy, he has also been the base commander on South Georgia and absolutely brilliant.
In fact, the selected team of the RSPB that was present now on Gough Island was/is just the best for the job. It was a great privilege working with them and I know that they will run a successful mouse eradication program next year on Gough. Pity I will not be involved, but I had my time and will follow and support the program.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45918770Science & Environment
'Super-sized' mice threaten seabird colonies with extinction
By Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent
22 October 2018
Share this with Facebook  Share this with Messenger  Share this with Twitter  Share this with Email  Share
albatrossImage copyrightBEN DILLEY
Image caption
A Tristan albatross on Gough Island: Their future is now at risk
Super-sized mice are killing millions of seabird chicks on a remote island in the South Atlantic, threatening some rare species with extinction.
According to a study from the RSPB, the mice have learned to eat the eggs and chicks of the many millions of birds that make Gough Island their home.
The group says that without action, the endangered Tristan albatross is likely to go extinct.
A campaign is planned to eradicate the mice entirely in 2020.
Restoring South Georgia's wildlife paradise
Same-sex mice have babies
Gough Island is a remote UK Overseas Territory, considered to be one of the world's most important seabird colonies, hosting more than 10 million birds.
albatrossImage copyrightJ CLEELAND
Image caption
A Gough Island albatross chick. The mice eat them alive
Mice were introduced to the 91-sq-km volcanic island by sailors during the 19th Century. The rodents have adapted to the limited resources on the small piece of land by developing a taste for seabird eggs and chicks.
Video cameras have recorded groups of up to nine mice eating the chicks alive.
As a result of their success, the mice have become "super-sized". They are about 50% larger than a domestic mouse.
"Many of the seabirds on Gough are small and nest in burrows," said Dr Anthony Caravaggi, from University College Cork, in the Republic of Ireland.
"The chicks are smaller and have no escape route, so for an opportunistic mouse these chicks constitute relatively easy prey.
"The mice have done so well that they've grown bigger and are now attacking all seabirds, even Tristan albatross chicks, which are far bigger than other, smaller sea-going birds."
mouseImage copyrightBEN DILLEY
Image caption
One of the larger than average mice that are now wreaking havoc on Gough island
According to Dr Caravaggi's study, at least two million chicks are being lost on an annual basis.
The big worries are the rare species on Gough, especially the Tristan albatross.
Just 2,000 pairs now remain. The albatrosses mate for life and produce just one egg every other year.
Parents have been recorded returning with food to find their chicks dead in the nest. Their extinction looks certain within a number of decades.
"In a very short space of time, the Tristan albatross will be lost and this is also true for a number of other species," said Dr Caravaggi.
"Even though the Tristan is the headline here, a great number of others, including the Atlantic petrel and MacGillivray's prion will follow suit if the mice aren't removed."
Given that the mice have adapted to the opportunity that the seabirds present, why haven't the seabirds also reacted to the threat?
albatrossImage copyrightBEN DILLEY
Image caption
An Atlantic Yellow nosed albatross
"The fact is that these bird species evolved to live on islands free from predators; that's why you get so many seabirds there," said Dr Alex Bond, from the Natural History Museum, another author on the paper.
"For mice there are maybe new generations twice a year, but for birds like the Tristan albatross, they spend their first 10 years out at sea, so it takes a really long time for these behavioural mechanisms to kick in."
The RSPB, in conjunction with the government of Tristan da Cunha, who are custodians of Gough island, have developed a plan to wipe the mice out completely.
The operation is due to take place in 2020. Given the location of the island, it is an enormous logistical challenge.
It involves chartering a ship from South Africa, which will carry two helicopters and a load of poisonous, cereal pellets. These will then be spread across the island by the helicopters. They contain an anticoagulant which should kill the mice within 24 hours.
"Ridding islands of invasive species has been done on around 700 islands worldwide," said Dr Bond.
"So this isn't some novel thing we are doing; this is a tried-and-tested technique that can deliver the solution we need."

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3503 on: October 24, 2018, 04:14:21 pm »
Proof of life  :spitcoffee:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3504 on: October 24, 2018, 04:15:38 pm »
Ps; Not for the ATGATT police  :peepwall:

Offline desertfox

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Crosby 400
« Reply #3505 on: October 24, 2018, 04:34:19 pm »
 :thumleft:
My the force be with You

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3506 on: October 24, 2018, 04:45:06 pm »
Lekker! :thumleft:
NC lyk heel ok met daai band voorop, ek dink ons moet my seun s'n ook EO7 of so iets opsit.
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3507 on: October 25, 2018, 04:05:52 am »

Lyk goed  :thumleft:

ou maergat  :peepwall:  :ricky: :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3508 on: October 25, 2018, 07:03:11 am »
Ja daardie size lyf pas jou  :spitcoffee:

Hou van die takkies, nie ATTGATT nie maar pas mooi by die bike.

Ry veilig  :ricky:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3509 on: October 25, 2018, 07:37:20 am »
Lekker! :thumleft:
NC lyk heel ok met daai band voorop, ek dink ons moet my seun s'n ook EO7 of so iets opsit.

Oubones ek kan julle terugvoer gee binnekort, hierdie is TKC80 en n 1000km sover gedoen.
Groete  :thumleft:

Lyk goed  :thumleft:

ou maergat  :peepwall:  :ricky: :imaposer:

:imaposer: :imaposer:

Ja daardie size lyf pas jou  :spitcoffee:

Hou van die takkies, nie ATTGATT nie maar pas mooi by die bike.

Ry veilig  :ricky:

Agree with you Ri, I am still slowly but surely dropping weight and almost at target of 75kg
That old 'takkies' are not bad, it was in my 'Africa-ready to fly' potential contract bag.
Still hoping to get SANAE takeover!

Groete  :) :thumleft:

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3510 on: October 25, 2018, 08:22:20 am »
I sold those boxes to TVB about 20 months ago unseen, glad to hear he is happy with them.  :biggrin: 8)
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3511 on: October 25, 2018, 01:43:21 pm »
Those takkies will surely match the SANAE outfits :imaposer:
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3512 on: October 25, 2018, 02:11:11 pm »
That looks cool, almost excited but know the possibility to go is 50/50.

'J' looks ready to ride his skidoo  :thumleft:  :laughing4:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3513 on: October 25, 2018, 02:18:55 pm »
I think he may have his mittens on the wrong hands  :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3514 on: October 25, 2018, 08:08:04 pm »
Maybe I can test bikes for a living?
 :3some:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3515 on: October 25, 2018, 08:10:09 pm »
Wow...live after Gough :lol8:

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #3516 on: October 26, 2018, 08:05:58 am »
Ooooo….Expensive error testing that Katoom…..Now you wont be satisfied till you have one :pot:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #3517 on: October 26, 2018, 12:20:55 pm »
This thread is like a football game going into injury time  :imaposer:

It is like I do not want it to end  :-[

Ri has saved me today from hiding away in the cabin and took me with to collect her 'Swannies braai' at Grotto bay after work.
Basically a portable braai that fits into a top-box, and reminds of the days I was a junior fireman in Brits fire Brigade when we were happy to drink Black label beer and braai wors next to the river, some even had fishing rods which was not even always removed from the 'clamp-on fishing rod clamps - remember all the cars roofs had that 'lip' like a gutter almost  :biggrin: ....
Some guys already owned fancy cars and they used the 'suction' type rod holders till one bright spark (not me  :peepwall: ) decided to attach the red hazard lights on the roof of his personal car (when called in for duty while on standby - it ended in tears  :lol8: )

Little did I know that my passion for ships and adventure will lead to Marion, Gough and the SA Agulhas!
As a child I have often made wooden ships, and I recall that a great gift for me was a handdown of Asterix and Obelix comics books from a cousin.
Obviously Tintin and his little doggie Snowy plaid a roll in the 'adventure thing', and I recall there was a character that was swearing a lot...the seaman  :lol8:

Well I am on my last night (of this voyage) on the SA Agulhas 2 and the thread will end officially tomorrow when I have to leave.

I did take a few pictures here and was quite surprised that there are 'terns' in the Harbour albeit different to the Antarctic terns. They behave the same, sound the same and only differ in colour.
Saw a weird stork of sort when coming back from 'Edgars' (needed a Jean that fits) but unfortunately no camera with me. In Africa Storks of all kinds were always in flocks but this one was all alone.

Anyway; herewith just a few pictures that took me back to Gough for a while....

Did you meet Albert Chipps while you were on the Agulhas? He is also into photographing sea birds, and can tell you some stories of his Adventures around the world.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:07:43 am by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3518 on: October 27, 2018, 02:57:51 pm »
Ooooo….Expensive error testing that Katoom…..Now you wont be satisfied till you have one :pot:

Yes budd live will never be the same again.

I have tested this bike (a friend of my son's bike) for close to an hour and did some nice offroading on her.

Pok people :eek7: what a bike! The suspension is way better than anything I have ridden before, and the power delivery both on enduro and sport is just amazing.
There is lots of power in the technical stuff, very ridable low down torque and the bike feels light and nimble on the move.
I can ride this bike real slow, do tight turns and navigate around or through obstacles without having the need to put a foot down.
She is while standing still and especially noticeable on uneven ground while stationary top heavy like other bikes in the litre class.
I have not tried an African twin yet; his dad got one and I may ride it soon as well to compare but why so many riders give this 1090 a miss is beyond me because I think it is one of the best (if not the best) big adventure bikes out there.

Unfortunately (or fortunately  :peepwall: :imaposer: ) I am in no position to buy a bike. The money I did manage to safe is what I am surviving on right now and wow I went through a lot in just 2 weeks since i am back! R6600 for my new specs (trifocal) , a couple of hundred rand fixing plumbing in my flat (have quite a bit of water damage as well but will attend to that later), R2K for doing my personal tax (had to pay for last season as well) and I need to replace all my clothes. Paid R3.1K for 2 x bike riding pants - need 2 because bike is my only transport. Life got way more expensive, my bike now takes R200 to fill the tank opposed to around R140 when I left.

I would love to buy a better lens for my camera to get closer to the birds - my 300mm is too short for 'birds of SA' and the lens is too slow to add a converter.
Keeping my eyes glued to the for sales sections and second hand Nikon/Tamron/Sigma for a 500 or 600mm or even a prime 300 with a converter. (ideal)

Bike wise; I love my NC and would not mind to ad a KLR650 (Or the likes) to the stable in future (realistic dreams)
That wont stop me from testing and riding other bikes though!

Antarctica - SANAE: After returning from oncology yesterday I asked Leanie's advice on weather she think I should phone the dea and enquire and she though it would be ok. I do not want to bug them but a fear that they may forget about me and choose someone else. I then phoned Susan and asked, and she gave me the chief engineers number and I tried to phone him without success. They are just so busy, meetings and appointments and so on. I just need to stay calm and keep an eye on the inbox. Just a bit hard at this stage because I need to plan my life and will have to start earning a living sometime soon.
It will help if I know, because I have been to an informal job interview yesterday and the people said I need to come back to them sometime soon because they may have a job for me in the Western Cape (sounds like I may be based - relocate - to Pringle bay and surrounding area)

I also wanted to be back in the Cape to help Ri move house by the end of the month but I will not be able to meet it. Just felt that I want to do something special for her for all the support during this 2.2 years on Gough - she was always there for me. Life is unfortunately not allowing this, just too much happening and I still havent met Xpat, Rodlau, Salty, Svend, Chris and Amanda, Mark, Skim, Oubones (Hennie), Woody1, Coppernicus, Ethan and some other WD's on the 'having to meet bucket list'. Please bear with me, but adapting back is taking much longer than anticipated.

Ethan many thanks for the MTB, it is a very larne and brilliant bike (in my reference at least) and I enjoy riding it. I have become a regular sighting now in Brits, the 'toppie' on the bike  :imaposer:

May you all have a great weekend
Thanks for your friendship WD's
Tom

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3519 on: October 27, 2018, 08:19:25 pm »
No worries, you still have two weeks to come help me :imaposer: :imaposer:

Enjoy your trip down to Cape Town. :ricky: