Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 311429 times)

Offline gmac

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3540 on: October 31, 2018, 08:49:39 am »
One thing I have noted in my short life so far ( and being an entrepreneur almost all of it ) is that I have met many talented people who can never make it on their own purely because they canít collect what is owed to them.

Got to get over that one mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3541 on: October 31, 2018, 08:23:03 pm »
Thanks again for all the replies and concerns. It sure helps; i do pay attention to everything. In the middle of the night when I wake up i'll meditate and try and make sense out of the masness called life.

Yes Ri you got it; I am not ready yet to hand in my registration and still need to stay current allthough I so not want to be a medic in my primary roll. Yes camp manager/medic or house keeping 'something/medic will do.

I am no doubt an adventurer and yes yes yes to SANAE and sir Ernest Shackleron's 'Endurance'....it rocks my boat.

Today I have taken a break. I visited a patient and did post operation care and then I rode the channel routes (gravel highways) and had some 'me time.

Tomorrow off to pta East to book a medical course. 1 of 3.

I got feedback from Gough Island today as well. Seems my gps track to the Glen will soon be put to the test.....it makes me feel good somehow

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Offline Tom van Brits

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3543 on: November 01, 2018, 04:51:46 am »
Expat talks sense.

It took me just over 2.5 years to finally pull the plug and deregister from the HPCSA.

Since I no longer deal with pain and injury and death, I sleep better at night. I have a "rustigheid"  that feels good.

Yes I stress about other stuff, like money, and not being able to see my son. But you don't have to emigrate you know.  :imaposer:

I started at the bottom again, at age 50. Brand new career. But through hard work and dedication and perseverance I will get back on top. I also don't have a business mind, so I work for someone who does. I'll never get rich, but I am home every night, and that means I can have a good relationship with my wife. Not easily possible when you are away for 9 weeks at a time.

Go do the courses, get back up to date with everything. Then take a trip. And just be fucking honest with yourself.

You have tons of self discipline, if you didn't you would not have lost all that weight, and you would have murdered people on that island.

You can take on any other job / trade / profession, and make a success of it. I know that, and you know that.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, Oubones

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3544 on: November 01, 2018, 05:33:32 am »
More good advice and YES we believe that you must just set your mind to it and you will make a success!
Start from the perspective of what is it that gives you joy of live ( lewensgenot)  and do something that enchances that.
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3545 on: November 01, 2018, 06:48:46 am »
OK, not wanting to piss on your fire TVB, but I don't recommend the welding field, Industry has trained thousands of skilled welders in the last few years (and industry is now farked) the big projects are coming to an end and the market will be flooded with artisan welders willing to work for bugger all. Sorry to say so and no reason to stop practicing as its a great DIY skill (that I don't have).   :sip:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #3546 on: November 01, 2018, 07:01:52 am »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3547 on: November 01, 2018, 07:08:24 am »
OK, not wanting to piss on your fire TVB, but I don't recommend the welding field, Industry has trained thousands of skilled welders in the last few years (and industry is now farked) the big projects are coming to an end and the market will be flooded with artisan welders willing to work for bugger all. Sorry to say so and no reason to stop practicing as its a great DIY skill (that I don't have).   :sip:

Yes I have been to hardware shop yesterday and the salesman has confirmed this. He said maybe elsewhere but Grits and pta is flooded with skilled artisans looking constantly for work. He has recommended that I have a look into plumbing.
Will see but yes investing R12k just in the machine and still need argon etc plus training maybe not wise for now.
I am sure something will come up in good time.
Maybe (something I really like doing)  like camp managemet/ housekeeping...will keep eyes and ears open  :)

Offline Xpat

« Reply #3548 on: November 01, 2018, 07:20:23 am »

Yes I have been to hardware shop yesterday and the salesman has confirmed this. He said maybe elsewhere but Grits and pta is flooded with skilled artisans looking constantly for work. He has recommended that I have a look into plumbing.
Will see but yes investing R12k just in the machine and still need argon etc plus training maybe not wise for now.
Maybe (something I really like doing)  like camp managemet/ housekeeping...will keep eyes and ears open  :)

Then take your bike on a trip via Maun and ask around - plenty of camps around Okavango, and at least I may have somewhere to stay once I head up there probably in December. Maybe tifua or Sardine here on the forum may provide some feel or contacts to check if that is feasible.

Also - those adverts for remote medic I have sent - are none of them viable (once you have your licences renewed)?

And what about photography lady? I know she filled the position already but can't you come around and help her for free to get understanding the ropes and then try something similar for example in Brits or outside the area she is already operating in? Doesn't cost anything just time, and you already sunked the money to equipment (D7200), and worst case you will at least have a nice outing with camera.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3549 on: November 01, 2018, 07:33:05 am »

Then take your bike on a trip via Maun and ask around - plenty of camps around Okavango, and at least I may have somewhere to stay once I head up there probably in December. Maybe tifua or Sardine here on the forum may provide some feel or contacts to check if that is feasible.

Also - those adverts for remote medic I have sent - are none of them viable (once you have your licences renewed)?

And what about photography lady? I know she filled the position already but can't you come around and help her for free to get understanding the ropes and then try something similar for example in Brits or outside the area she is already operating in? Doesn't cost anything just time, and you already sunked the money to equipment (D7200), and worst case you will at least have a nice outing with camera.

Yes I am still trying to get an appointment arranged with her, she is now in contact again and said the sport events are over because of the examination period but that I am welcome to accompany he on a few shoots starting January. Absolutely 100% willing to help me, the understanding is she will show me ho you set up the website (you sell your pictures from there digitally) and how to do the work etc. That Nikon is still sitting in a sealed box in my cuboard and for now I am only using the d7100 with 70/300 lens on birds. Still learning and now also want to start downloading tutorials to learn photoshop. So yes the photography must if not ensure a total income at least a paid partial income in the end!  :thumleft:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #3550 on: November 01, 2018, 07:50:04 am »

Yes I am still trying to get an appointment arranged with her, she is now in contact again and said the sport events are over because of the examination period but that I am welcome to accompany he on a few shoots starting January. Absolutely 100% willing to help me, the understanding is she will show me ho you set up the website (you sell your pictures from there digitally) and how to do the work etc. That Nikon is still sitting in a sealed box in my cuboard and for now I am only using the d7100 with 70/300 lens on birds. Still learning and now also want to start downloading tutorials to learn photoshop. So yes the photography must if not ensure a total income at least a paid partial income in the end!  :thumleft:

:thumleft: Great! I would definitely keep that fire going - doesn't cost you anything but time and you might learn some very potentially valuable lessons.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3551 on: November 07, 2018, 08:08:11 pm »
I had a great day in Pretoria today.

Rodlau who also played a big supporting role when I was on the island made time for a lekker lunch - he treated me with the best sirloin steak and beer. We had a great albeit too short kuier!
Thank you sir, appreciated  :thumleft:

Went to Runner but he was unfortunately out. However, big surprise I met MacSack and Herman. Both recognised the bike and me when I removed the pisspot  :imaposer:

Obviously did drool over MacSack's African Twin....pok people that is just one mean looking bike and my personal dream bike.

I have also entered for 2 x medical courses  (the ones mentioned earlier) and after paying I had a little moment. Just put myself under a lot of pressure for the next week but will have to focus and use every bit of discipline to ensure I don't end up wasting time and valuable money.

Also booked by the family for the weekend and can't postpone any farther .  So no forum time and limited whatsapp for the next few days.

Then I can focus on looking for work...sending out that updated CV and taking a break (maybe 2 weeks) after all the madness.

I do not have any feedback from Gough Island, and the chief engineer did reply to my enquiry about the possibility to go to SANAE on the takeover as driver/medic. He said they are still awaiting feedback from the SANDF- so there is still hope and I will keep an eye on my inbox.

Have a great weekend
Tom

The following users thanked this post: Rodlau

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #3552 on: November 09, 2018, 01:47:16 pm »
Looks good! Hope your acclimatization to being back in "civilization" is going well!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3553 on: November 09, 2018, 06:03:32 pm »
  :biggrin:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3554 on: November 09, 2018, 06:23:36 pm »
Looks good! Hope your acclimatization to being back in "civilization" is going well!

Thanks Svend. All ok, I do have my moments but overall I think it's going ok.
Today the training academy phoned and said they need another 2.5k to confirm my seat in the class.
That after I told them I may be contacted at any moment having to ride down to Cape town.
So now my first course is paid and booked but the second one hanging (19/20 Nov)
Fark I can't blame them.. .business is business but yes It is not good news for me because it seems I have lost my space in the class now. Will keep studying and see how it plays out.

Got a bit of anxiety at times when I am in a mall and many people around. Also in hectic traffic. Feel sometimes a bit selfconcious but think it may be considered normal after more than 2 years in isolation.

Anyway; life is good and I can't complain. Tomorrow another parkrun parking and this time with my sister Wilma.

Then I am going to my biological mom ( she is still alive, and she wants to see me again which feels good somehow)
And then Sunday Melody my best friend wants me to go with her and the cancer friend Leanie to some show in Johannesburg (musical) before Leanies brain cancer radiation starts.

All busy and going strong but I have great friends here on Wd's and elsewhere and that smoothes live a bit.
Sometimes I do have a responsibility alert especially when I see how fast money goes....juat realised I need to brake care and cut back on spending. Was about to buy a camera lens (close) and came to my sense.

All hope currently still on SANAE takeover and if that does not come off I'll go on a 2 week bike trip before looking in all earnestly in earning a libing.

Thanks and best to all
Tom

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3555 on: November 11, 2018, 06:33:38 am »
That parkrun went well. All the hard work on Gough looking that weight paid off.
Maybe this wil will make me more presentable and help in finding work.

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #3556 on: November 11, 2018, 06:41:39 am »
Bly om te sien jy kom so stadigaan weer in die vloei van die lewe Tom. Lyk soos Hartebeespoortdam daar agter?
Geleerdheid in die kop van 'n dwaas is soos 'n lemmetjie in die hand van 'n aap.

CJ Langenhoven

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3557 on: November 11, 2018, 05:00:31 pm »
Bly om te sien jy kom so stadigaan weer in die vloei van die lewe Tom. Lyk soos Hartebeespoortdam daar agter?

Harties dam Johan, jy is reg met die pragtige Magaliesberge

Today with our cancer warrior Leanie . Calum Scott
Show Jozi

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3558 on: November 16, 2018, 08:48:58 pm »
It was a bit hard to start studying again after the island expedition.

I do love reading a lot, but studying does not come easy for me. It never has, although I did a fair bit of that throughout my career.
I am not ready to lay down the paramedical licence. The career yes, but I need to be licenced to help people legally and also never know if the medic thing will open more doors.
My dream remains the same; I want to be a housekeeping manager again somewhere in Africa....even South Africa, and even with a altered 'job title' but doing basically the same and still be able to assist people in medical emergencies.

So yes I need ACLS but to get there again I first needed BLS (The gateway) So today I did perform (I feel) rather well and got BLS.
I went to the office to hear when the next available space is (originally it was sometime next year) and the woman said; we have received a cancelation just now and there is a spot open on Monday and Tuesday.....pok I don't know what I was thinking but decided to enrol. The recommended study-time is one month and I have only started studying at 16H00 this afternoon. Now on my 2nd turbovite (like bioplus) and going strong.

So I need all your good thoughts please; I need this qualification and then I can move on. I can start sending out my CV for more relevant work (even as a medic on remote sites  :3some: ) All of the companies abroad (contract world - Africa and elsewhere) now require medics with ACLS.

Under a lot of pressure, and worst case scenario is I do not make it and can only have another go early next year but then at least I will have the recent experience and I can just continue studying. Best case scenario is that with a lot of luck I make it and can amend CV and circulate.

Before anyone ask; I did not hear anything yet on SANAE but did ask the training collage that I may leave my phone on vibrate to be able not to miss a call.

Tomorrow I will loose out on the parkrun which I really like these days; but for now all my attention is on the handbook.
Also online examination (pre-tests) where I can test myself and see which areas I need to focus my studies on.

Have a good weekend
Tom

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3559 on: November 16, 2018, 09:25:32 pm »
Good luck and I am sure you will do well!
You are our star! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500