Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 276072 times)

Online Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3600 on: December 11, 2018, 10:03:04 pm »
Nice positive attitude Tom. And learning a language is challenging but keeps the brain young :imaposer:

Has that lady had opportunity yet to show you sports photography and how to set up a website to sell photo's?

Thanks Ri  :)

She is willing to take me with once the schools reopen next year on an athletics photographic session.
Then she will also show me how to setup a marketing page. For now I'll still play with the original camera and once she can accommodate me on a field trip I'll unbox the new Nikon d7200.

Till I get a contract as housekeeping manager or relevant I'll keep busy studying and doing whatever comes up to earn a living.
Exiting times  :laughing4:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #3601 on: December 11, 2018, 10:08:28 pm »
Hier is n ou op Stilbaai wat op sy kar adverteer "birth photography" :o

Ek dink die ou ly honger want hier's net oumense op die dorp!! :lol8: :deal:

MAW piek die regte dorp vir jou foto onderneming Tom!! :deal: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3602 on: December 11, 2018, 10:11:25 pm »
Hier is n ou op Stilbaai wat op sy kar adverteer "birth photography" :o

Ek dink die ou ly honger want hier's net oumense op die dorp!! :lol8: :deal:

MAW piek die regte dorp vir jou foto onderneming Tom!! :deal: :thumleft:

:imaposer: :imaposer: Nee genade el sal moet dink Chris!!  :)

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3603 on: December 31, 2018, 09:15:20 pm »
Looking back today at some of the fb memories. New year on Gough 2018 was rather special, and I honestly missed the island today...big time.
I did spent 4 x new years there, and 2 was rather memorable but the best was G54 and that is already 10 years back.

Mixed feelings, sometimes I'm glad I'm done with SANAP, and sometimes I miss the sea, mountains, seabirds especially the Tristan Albatross and the Penguins.

There are many good memories. I did not do all that great wrt team dynamics but I loved that island more than any other place on earth.

Happy New Year friends  :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3604 on: January 01, 2019, 12:51:41 am »
Tom, mag die nuwe jaar net vir jou vreugde bring en ek dink nie jy besef hoe baie ouens soos ek dit waardeer dat jy dit met ons gedeel het!
Baie dankie! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3605 on: January 05, 2019, 10:22:40 pm »
Took my camera and new 600mm Sigma lens to the Parkrun today, and had a bit of fun afterwards.
I am still shooting with the Nikon D7100 that Expat sent down to the island 2 years ago.
The new D7200 is still sealed in its box, waiting for the school athletics and hopefully I'll learn from the photographic lady...albeit, she is a bit still bit maybe still enjoying her leave.
I am sort of toying with my own ideas to start making an income with photography. It will be a bonus if someone can teach me a bit but I want to take this further and believe I got what it takes so I am going to start working on a plan of action to take it from the ground.

Next week I need to do my pdp or start the process. I have no idea how it works these days but think I need to go to the licence offices and get papers, then go to the doctor for a medical checkup, then to the police station for finger prints and then back to the licence office for eye test and submission of forms. I was asked by a private ambulance company to do some shifts but obviously I need the pdp. They do not have an actual position but they often need someone to slot in, and they also do some training (I think at the mines - I have done it before) Seeing that this is not permanent and only a part-time (when they need me) job I still need to keep looking for something but I am confident that I'll come right soon.

Herewith a couple of shots, all with the 600mm lens and most at 600mm.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3606 on: January 05, 2019, 10:24:24 pm »
I realy like this lens, and camera. I will never sell the d7100 because of the sentimental value and quality.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3607 on: January 05, 2019, 10:25:39 pm »
 :)

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3608 on: January 05, 2019, 10:26:40 pm »
Goodnight

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3609 on: January 06, 2019, 07:23:08 pm »
Hey! You found a Gough Bunting :imaposer:

Beautiful photo's, good to keep your eye in. And don't wait for the photography lady, you can go any sports events and start practicing action shots. Read photography tutorials etc, and see what works and what doesn't. I'm thinking of all these informal soccer and cricket games happening by the side of the road. But for heaven's sake don't get your gear stolen!!!

It's nice that you can do some stints with the private company, and it would be especially great if you could get into the training side of things. But you're not in it full time, so you can leave when it's time.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #3610 on: January 07, 2019, 06:59:36 am »
When the schools start its athletics time. Be ready. Ri is right :thumleft:

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #3611 on: January 07, 2019, 10:18:45 am »
Tom, i like you and you have contributed alot here.  So herewith some free advice...

You need to focus now on your photographic career and not get distracted by sideshows like marathons, bicycles and other nonsense.

1. Start by registering a website. Speak to @Mystus here. He is a master and trusted.
2. Research photographic software where you can post pics, get people to view it without being able to download it.  They can then order pics, do online payment (again mystus has these payment portals). 
3. You can also add other services like provide it in raw format, photo edit it, etc
4. Structure it that its searchable by school and event.
5. Print pamphlets to distribute at schools, use social media where possible
7.  Attend  these events, take the pics, upload, get things going
8. Get the pet picture thing going too....might yield benefits
9. Gooi some Gough pics too, test the market..
10. Get yourself out there, no use getting distracted and going into old habits.  You can make this work.

You dont need much to get this up and running,  but you need focus and dedication...  this could become a career or at least a source of income. You are good enough, you dont need that lady’s assistance. Just do it..

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, Oubones

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3612 on: January 07, 2019, 10:35:15 am »
Appreciate the advice Hein, you make a lot of sense.  :thumleft:

Offline Mystus

• WildDog Web Man
  • Administrator
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • http://www.ultimateadventures.co.za
« Reply #3613 on: January 07, 2019, 11:27:23 am »
Tom, i like you and you have contributed alot here.  So herewith some free advice...

You need to focus now on your photographic career and not get distracted by sideshows like marathons, bicycles and other nonsense.

1. Start by registering a website. Speak to @Mystus here. He is a master and trusted.
2. Research photographic software where you can post pics, get people to view it without being able to download it.  They can then order pics, do online payment (again mystus has these payment portals). 
3. You can also add other services like provide it in raw format, photo edit it, etc
10. Get yourself out there, no use getting distracted and going into old habits.  You can make this work.

You dont need much to get this up and running,  but you need focus and dedication...  this could become a career or at least a source of income. You are good enough, you dont need that lady’s assistance. Just do it..

Some really great photo's there Tom! And the advice Hein posted is definitely on point! If you need some guidance or a hand with a website, social media etc. I'm always happy to help where I am able to.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, Oubones

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3614 on: January 07, 2019, 07:18:34 pm »

Some really great photo's there Tom! And the advice Hein posted is definitely on point! If you need some guidance or a hand with a website, social media etc. I'm always happy to help where I am able to.

Thanks so much, I will PM you and most definitely ask your advice and assistance.

Look I am going a bit mad doing job hunting 24/7 but I somehow remains positive. My focus was set (still is) on chasing my dream job as a housekeeping camp manager in Africa. It was the best days of my life, more so than my close to 5 years on Sub Antarctic islands.

So currently the running is a good sidetrack, just to clear my head and it keeps me fit. It will not 'takeover' and rob me from other responsibilities or possibilities.

So that is why I have decided to just go and do my pdp now, just to work the ambulance shifts the guys throw my direction. Just to feel 'worthy'again...because one doesn't feel like a man if you dont  earn. Maybe just me, but I got to get going.

However,  Kilroy is 100% right. I will use all available time now to set up my own photography career. I will use all the additional advice and start learning photoshop. I think I am fairly ok with lightroom, I did edit a picture for a photographer Saturday morning which made him very happy. He was so disappointed with the picture and did not know what to do with it to 'save it. It is a picture of a leopard on a rock but the sky and some other elements made it look bad. I changed that picture with just a few slides on lightroom to a pic he want to enter now for a competition! Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the image but yes, it is that good and I think he stand a good change in the Wildlife category to score big.

Lightroom is the best program ever and I'll be lost without it.

He also feel that I should put effort into a photographic career.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3615 on: January 07, 2019, 07:32:56 pm »
Pdp was not too bad. (Professional driving permit)

I went early morning and got the forms, then I went to the doctor for a medical checkup and all was good.
Went to the municipality to get a proof of residence and to postnet for copy of I'd.
I was back at the licensing office at 13H10 and que till 16H40 for the fingerprints and eye tests and so on.
Was out just before 17H00 and need to go back tomorrow to pay

I need to pay R350 at the licence office and R100 at the bank for the fingerprints.

Not sure how long the wait for the actual card will be. Some say 6 weeks.
It is valid for 2 years.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3616 on: January 29, 2019, 03:09:18 pm »
I got work today!!

H.E.M.S.  Hartbeestoort emergency medical services

I just came back from chest X-rays and Thursday I need to do the rest of medical and induction at the mine where I will be working: Rhovan vanadium mine

I will do 12 hour standbys and also start working towards training first aid.

Great company that has grown a lot in recent years.

Feels like a mountain is lifted from my shoulders.
Recently also advertised my bike and a good friend committed to buy it once I need the money for a car.
Well today I realised that the bike would have come to it's right on the 64km commute a day (roundtrip) and luckily he agreed that I can keep the bike and he will shop for another.

I am soon going on another medical standby trip (support crew) for 3 weeks and I have discussed it with the boss and there is no issue,  I may go ahead with this.
The Himalayan trip however can't happen, but I am ok with that. Can't have it all and I am just so happy for a new start for now.
Photography can now develop over time,  I am sure I am going to end up making a success with photography in the long run, I want to.

So here to a new beginning  :thumleft:

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #3617 on: January 29, 2019, 03:14:13 pm »
Congratulations TvB!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3618 on: January 29, 2019, 03:14:56 pm »
I got work today!!

H.E.M.S.  Hartbeestoort emergency medical services

I just came back from chest X-rays and Thursday I need to do the rest of medical and induction at the mine where I will be working: Rhovan vanadium mine

I will do 12 hour standbys and also start working towards training first aid.

Great company that has grown a lot in recent years.

Feels like a mountain is lifted from my shoulders.
Recently also advertised my bike and a good friend committed to buy it once I need the money for a car.
Well today I realised that the bike would have come to it's right on the 64km commute a day (roundtrip) and luckily he agreed that I can keep the bike and he will shop for another.

I am soon going on another medical standby trip (support crew) for 3 weeks and I have discussed it with the boss and there is no issue,  I may go ahead with this.
The Himalayan trip however can't happen, but I am ok with that. Can't have it all and I am just so happy for a new start for now.
Photography can now develop over time,  I am sure I am going to end up making a success with photography in the long run, I want to.

So here to a new beginning  :thumleft:

Great to hear Tom, is that place H.E.M.S. on the corner from Silkaatsnek I think I went past it on Sunday.  :thumleft:
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #3619 on: January 29, 2019, 03:19:56 pm »
Daar het jy dit nou. Veels geluk.

Werk nou gou vir 'n jaar dat jy vakansie kan kry...en dan weet jy wat om te doen.  :pot: :peepwall: :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600