Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 289084 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3700 on: April 03, 2019, 03:50:28 pm »
 :eek7: poor maman was in a collision with a trailer that came off another vehicle

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3701 on: April 14, 2019, 10:05:37 pm »
Hello Wd's

The last week I was not called for shifts at the local private ambulance service, they only call me when someone is sick.
I then work on a voluntary basis to fill the shift and if they need me I can log the hours and they will pay for hours worked month end.
So far I got a total of 200hrs (last month and this month) and in that hours I have seen a lot. I had to declare 2 x patients death, one x 36years old woman and one tannie (cant remember her age but in the seventies) Done one x vehicle extrication (the above post), numerious accidents (one with a baby - she was ok but not the mom) and even suicide, alzimers,  diabetes, mi's and some interhospital transfers.
One call was really sad; this guy went missing and his sister got concerned and phoned the landlord and asked to force entry and check - she offered to pay for damage. The landlord found this poor guy in a coma in the kitchen, he has been lying there for a very long time. I think what saved him was his physical condition, very fit middle aged oke.
So yes the reality struct me big time, it was almost a shock to be back in the deep water and operate one call upon another.
The hard part for me is the patient report forms, the medical aids try to find any excuse not to pay these days so one really need to do a professional job on paper as well.
Like said before, this company do not have an position for me since the guys are holding on with dear life. They know how it is out there these days, so it was no surprise to me to find the same crews operating since I last time I helped them out a bit when I was also between contracts (quite some time ago!)

The good thing here, it keep me on my toes and I have learned a great deal in the hours spent on the roads wrt medical protocol changes and so on. I have also become fingerfit again, and regained my confidence to deal with some serious stuff. 

I am still looking for work, every day I wake up I try to stem myself positive and put in some effort to find a job. I will lie if I say it is not getting me under at times, but I always manage to get up again.

Last Friday on my birtday I decided to go for a record on a 12km route I am often running, and managed to injure my knee (on the good leg) because I was pushing really hard and then it started raining and I slipped. Nothing serious, I think it is just overtrained and today my sister enetered me for a trail run at Dikhololo which was great fun. That after I came 2nd on Hartbeespoort parkrun yeasterday. Knee was a bit tender and I ran with a knee guard, but at 9km the wheels came off and I had to walk the last 6. Still came in at a fair time but annoyed with myself, but I think the running helps me deal with my current frustrations in a way. I will take it slow and give it change to heal properly now.

I am still hopeful that photography will open doors, so I took the camera with and played a bit after the run. Not the best selection of pics, but just a few and quite different to Gough and the subantarctic islands which I miss more and more. Not always because of the beauty of the islands and seabirds  but also because it ment security and although life was not always very easy wrt team dynamics it was meaningful because I have worked and earned.

Anyway, here is a few pics of Dikhololo game reserve:

The following users thanked this post: Kerritz

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3702 on: April 14, 2019, 10:07:49 pm »
I would not mind spending a day there on my own looking for birds and wild. You are allowed to hike there or to ride on a bicycle. There are no big cats.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3703 on: April 14, 2019, 10:10:21 pm »
 :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3704 on: April 14, 2019, 10:11:51 pm »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3705 on: April 14, 2019, 10:13:06 pm »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3706 on: April 14, 2019, 10:14:11 pm »

Thats all

Good night  :thumleft:

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #3707 on: April 15, 2019, 01:43:50 pm »
Tom, no doubt you now have developed the skills to take professional level wildlife photos! Now you just need to get lucky with the timing to get that 1 in a million shot that tells a story or create a special atmosphere.  Keep at it, it will come!  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3708 on: April 15, 2019, 06:02:35 pm »
Tom, no doubt you now have developed the skills to take professional level wildlife photos! Now you just need to get lucky with the timing to get that 1 in a million shot that tells a story or create a special atmosphere.  Keep at it, it will come!  :thumleft:

Thanks for the kind words bud, I trust it will come.  :thumleft:

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #3709 on: April 15, 2019, 07:39:40 pm »
Nice pics
Thanks for sharing  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Rallye

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3710 on: April 29, 2019, 07:18:22 pm »
I am visiting WD site daily to cash up on some news, especially on the latest Kaokoland RR's which is rather exciting stuff.
Also find WD's as always very informative with different views and opinions on the latest world news.

When I returned from Gough I came back with a lot of hope, energy and excitement but it has slowly faded and not much left which is worrisome but I am working on it.
I have realised that I have made a number of mistakes since back, and I am still not sure if that is as result of living and working in isolation for such a long time or just because I have been vulnerable and a little stupid or maybe a combination of all  :peepwall:
Needless to say; I have been in better places with my life and long for the island every day..... I am sure for the right reasons, albeit survival plays a role and by that I mean the security to know that you are taken care of and earn a living. Still I miss Gough for the sea and wildlife and will go through sacrifices just to be back.

Woody1, Expat and some other WD's have tried in their different ways to advice me on the way forward and in a way I feel I failed them. I am in fact applying almost blindly for every position. Sometimes I hold back because I just know I don't have the qualifications or experience and don't want to waste someone's time because of desperate measures.

I don't read back on the thread and I am not sure if I have mentioned this already but Gough65 has for some reason not received a successful (or enough) applicants for a medical orderly. So it was briefly 're-opened again and I did go through the whole application process of downloading and completing a Z83 form, print cv, certified copies of all certificates and so on and then submit via post to the Director Generals office in Cape town. I have used a friend and used Postnet counter to counter and he has collect and hand delivered. I did that in fear for the Postal service failing to deliver on time. 

Now another 3 months to hear if my application was successful, and then for interviews and so on. I have no idea what my changes are, and cant sit back and wait for better days. Still job hunting and still working volunteer shifts when needed at the private service in Brits which is now (only when they need me) paid per hour. Not enough to keep the budget ticking but it's something.

I have also bought a prime lens for the camera - 35mm f1.8g (awiting delivery) to use soon on a wedding. I got a change to try out my photographic skills on this wedding (for free) as a backup photographer. This will give me a good idea weather I may have what it takes to photograph events like this. I Did try on a few occasions my hand at sport photography but there were on all these events already standing photographers.

Here is a beautiful picture of a Tristan Albatross fledgeling by Michelle Jones - Gough 64
This picture inspires and is enough reason to go back even if job security was not an issue.

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #3711 on: May 01, 2019, 11:11:43 pm »
I am visiting WD site daily to cash up on some news, especially on the latest Kaokoland RR's which is rather exciting stuff.
Also find WD's as always very informative with different views and opinions on the latest world news.

When I returned from Gough I came back with a lot of hope, energy and excitement but it has slowly faded and not much left which is worrisome but I am working on it.
I have realised that I have made a number of mistakes since back, and I am still not sure if that is as result of living and working in isolation for such a long time or just because I have been vulnerable and a little stupid or maybe a combination of all  :peepwall:
Needless to say; I have been in better places with my life and long for the island every day..... I am sure for the right reasons, albeit survival plays a role and by that I mean the security to know that you are taken care of and earn a living. Still I miss Gough for the sea and wildlife and will go through sacrifices just to be back.

Woody1, Expat and some other WD's have tried in their different ways to advice me on the way forward and in a way I feel I failed them. I am in fact applying almost blindly for every position. Sometimes I hold back because I just know I don't have the qualifications or experience and don't want to waste someone's time because of desperate measures.

I don't read back on the thread and I am not sure if I have mentioned this already but Gough65 has for some reason not received a successful (or enough) applicants for a medical orderly. So it was briefly 're-opened again and I did go through the whole application process of downloading and completing a Z83 form, print cv, certified copies of all certificates and so on and then submit via post to the Director Generals office in Cape town. I have used a friend and used Postnet counter to counter and he has collect and hand delivered. I did that in fear for the Postal service failing to deliver on time. 

Now another 3 months to hear if my application was successful, and then for interviews and so on. I have no idea what my changes are, and cant sit back and wait for better days. Still job hunting and still working volunteer shifts when needed at the private service in Brits which is now (only when they need me) paid per hour. Not enough to keep the budget ticking but it's something.

I have also bought a prime lens for the camera - 35mm f1.8g (awiting delivery) to use soon on a wedding. I got a change to try out my photographic skills on this wedding (for free) as a backup photographer. This will give me a good idea weather I may have what it takes to photograph events like this. I Did try on a few occasions my hand at sport photography but there were on all these events already standing photographers.

Here is a beautiful picture of a Tristan Albatross fledgeling by Michelle Jones - Gough 64
This picture inspires and is enough reason to go back even if job security was not an issue.
Hi Tom just wow man I feel for you. What a talented man you are. Just believe in yourself, things will come right. Belief me.
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Offline Skim

« Reply #3712 on: May 02, 2019, 06:24:07 am »
Hi Tom,

Hang in there - do know that there are a lot of us thinking of you - I do trust that the tide will turn and you will get the chance that you need.

Skim

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3713 on: May 02, 2019, 07:41:48 am »
Tom, things will come right!
I just know it, maybe you are a bit down now but it is a good sign that you acknowledge your mistakes and show that you have what it takes to get on your feet again!
Strongs mate! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3714 on: May 02, 2019, 09:19:54 am »
Thanks all, the support means a lot to me.
Wd's is like a first love, I keep coming back to the site daily like I've said to draw some inspiration.
Last night Santjie WhatsApp me from Hetro international airport. She did go on what one would refer to a sabbatical (if I understand the true meaning of the word correct; like a 'Gap year' the youngsters do)

After Gough she arranged for a working visa in Alaska to work as a volunteer on the huskeys. She obviously sponsored herself, and used her island savings. Bear in mind she is single and dont have any expenses running.
This is now Santjie that has been our team leader and senior meteorologist.

The same Santjie that I referred to as my hero (there are a couple) because of the survival we pulled off the night when Gough's famous mountains swallowed us and said no further. That night in brief was hard since we were exhausted after hiking far on rugged and unforgiving terrain and had to swim around obstacles in the cold see. We did not make it out and then the rain started....gusting winds and even a mudslide and we were on a narrow ridge holding on for dear life till first light. So if I need to go on a tough trip, exploration or whatever and I get to pick a member she will be the first one. I have never seen a woman (I am not a sexist) stronger in mind and physical power than Santjie.

So she done the huskey work which involved cutting meat daily and feeding them, running them in the sledge toboggan thingies (my knowledge is limited on the subject) but unfortunately things did not work out very well wrt the partnership and she then decided to visit a friend in the states. First in Arizona and then in a town (I forgot the name) where Nike runners originated from. She then hiked the great Canyon (5 days) and then went to France to Fabrice (one of our teams fielder/senior biologist) and then they went together to the RSPB offices in England and also met with many ex Gough islanders. So after 6 months she had enough and is now returning to source work from this side but I immediately put her on a lead to go with the helicopter team of Neu Zealand to Gough as a bait loader. 4 months contract. I am also trying my luck...like said; I am trying almost everything.

For me to stand a change to go down as medical orderly G65 I will need a huge amount of good fortune. I may be considered if they dont find any other suitable application. Work is done, it's out of my hands now.

I did start the 1st of May at least with a 24 hours shift for HEMS on Rhovan mine. I also have a booked shift on the 29th. In between they may phone me, and I told them I'll even just come in to do 1 call if they run short off staff. Every hour counts.

Enjoy the rest of the week, it's almost weekend! :thumleft:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:23:46 am by Tom van Brits »

The following users thanked this post: Kerritz

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3715 on: May 02, 2019, 10:00:40 am »
Photo is Stephan (Rspb), Santjie and Fabrice

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3716 on: May 12, 2019, 05:40:56 pm »
A few days ago my sister and Andries decided to go to Pilansberg, and invited me and another friend of us.
It was a good photographic opportunity and since I am mostly just around the flat and sometimes on freelance shift with the private ambulance company I grabbed this opportunity with huge excitement!
It is quite a different experience to ride in the seat of a Fortuner and shoot out the window but here:

First sighting was Jackal and then a good sighting of beautiful birds throughout the day

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3717 on: May 12, 2019, 05:43:36 pm »
Not all great pictures because the little birds are always on the move and you are not allowed outside the vehicle...

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3718 on: May 12, 2019, 05:45:11 pm »
....and this is why  ;D

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3719 on: May 12, 2019, 05:46:46 pm »