Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 276344 times)

Online Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3720 on: May 12, 2019, 05:49:19 pm »
 :)

Colourful

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3721 on: May 12, 2019, 05:52:05 pm »

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3722 on: May 12, 2019, 05:53:56 pm »

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3723 on: May 12, 2019, 05:55:25 pm »

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3724 on: May 12, 2019, 05:59:02 pm »
And then the highlight - my favorite

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3725 on: May 12, 2019, 06:00:46 pm »

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3726 on: May 12, 2019, 06:02:32 pm »

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3727 on: May 12, 2019, 06:04:15 pm »

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3728 on: May 12, 2019, 06:07:23 pm »
And the last couple....I love these giants!!

Goodnight  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3729 on: May 12, 2019, 08:22:53 pm »
Some really beautiful shots here. Very well done!
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #3730 on: May 13, 2019, 07:45:25 am »
As ek so na daai olifante se agterwereld kyk, kry ek die gevoel dat selfs ek nie te sleg sal lyk as TOm die fotograaf is nie!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3731 on: May 13, 2019, 03:53:02 pm »

Thanks RI!  :thumleft:

As ek so na daai olifante se agterwereld kyk, kry ek die gevoel dat selfs ek nie te sleg sal lyk as TOm die fotograaf is nie!

:imaposer:  :imaposer: Thanks bud, big compliment

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3732 on: May 13, 2019, 04:24:21 pm »
Update: I have been asked by some guys for an update on where I currently stand 6 months down the line, back from Gough Island

In no specific order: I have applied for Gough 65 medical orderly again since the age restriction was not yet officially lowered from 55 to 50 like someone has informed.
The job was advertised and I have missed the deadline because I had a signed contract to go to the 'Sandpit', but then the client apparently canceled the extention of the contract and my 'new contract' was terminated. I lost R11K in the process but it is what it is.
Then Gough medical orderly was opened again for a short while to see if they can get enough suitable applicants, and this time I have managed to apply and now it is up to the department to decide when they want to run interviews and if they want to go with me.
If I get Gough I will still be 'hanging' till August when team training starts - this will be great, because of the year of the mouse eradication and I think one may end up getting more contacts with other companies involved in this project since people will be able to see how I do work and render a service if that makes sense  :)

Martin (Xpat) has put me onto 'jobs at indeed' and I often get leads for camp manager, assistant camp manager and lodge manager and other positions and I keep sending my CV. The most positions I do qualify for is unfortunately for couples  :( but I even still get my CV on their stoep as well.

Kobus (Woody1) has put me onto a lead for farming jobs abroad, as well as Gary (Mr Zog and Darkman) and it turned out to be the same company. So I have enquired and awaiting feedback as well.

Then I am still working shifts (for the past 2 months) at the local  private ambulance service and that is paid per hour and once a month I can submit the hours. That helps and currently (almost) contribute to 50% of my living expense which buy me some time. Sorry for my honesty but I have mentioned before: I suffer of PTSD and the constant exposure to trauma is not good for me. I am humble but say within my right that I good at what I do and keep everything together and wrap an emergency scene up pretty well. Mr Zog was once my boss (many years ago at Netcare 911) and I am sure he will confirm that I can do....but it hurts me as person. These days I constantly find myself with my hand in front of the mouth (a sign of stress with me) and withdrawing a bit. So as much as I love helping people, even if the private ambulance service do get a position and offer it I will be reluctant to accept and may rather ask them to continue filling shifts as they need me till I find something else and suitable.

Well, I planned to type a short message but here it is. Lets see how my life unfolds. One thing I am grateful for; despite the ptsd I am in good shape and still run a lot.
I have completed an ultra marathon 2 weeks back; 'Om die dam workers race' in 5hours 56minutes with my good old friend Chris du Plooy. I have become fairly ok in half marathons and find it easy to complete under 2hours. Saturday I have had a trip down memory lane; ran the 25km Jackie Mekler race in Valhalla and ran through the old military base areas and so on....memories. Those buildings are still the same, nothing much has changed. Not even the sport ground since we had compulsory sport parade every Wednesday. Nostalgic moment to end the race on the very ground I was a young 17year old soldier in 1987.

Best to all dogs and keep safe  :thumleft:

Ps: Sometimes I miss this thread, it was therapeutic when I worked on remote Gough island!

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #3733 on: May 13, 2019, 05:35:06 pm »
Tks for update, hope you get the desired job.
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3734 on: May 15, 2019, 11:36:46 am »
My erstwhile valley. I grew up in Valhalla, and suffered much dental torture at 1 Military.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3735 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:09 pm »
My erstwhile valley. I grew up in Valhalla, and suffered much dental torture at 1 Military.

I believe you Ri, I have done 'Dental emergency training'through the Navy in Simonstown...poor soldiers but it was at least a success back then  :)
I love the look of Valhalla, it is old school but neat and tidy with well kept buildings.

They tried to break in at my flat the other morning, so yesterday I started digging holes and finished the fence at 20pm. I am happy, steel cost R2.5k but I got shifts at the ambulance service that is covering it.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #3736 on: May 20, 2019, 07:46:46 am »
Ek sien jy het darem so 'n paar MOSSIES vir my afgeneem.

Mooi foties en nogmaals sterkte.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3737 on: May 24, 2019, 08:06:29 pm »
Hello to all my WD friends!

I would like to think that I am making progress wrt finding work. This was a very busy week, I have worked 3 x 24 hour shifts at the private ambulance service and have seen really interesting calls - a wide variety of emergency medical calls. At some point in time my partner on the ambulce said; 'oom Tom I think the universe is bullying us, can it get any worse?' and I said; 'no bud, I'm sure we had it now and the very next call should be cool...pok  :patch: believe you me the next call was probably the biggest challenge of the day!!
I would so like to rather do something different and just respect and salute my 'Friends or Family (feels like it) in the EMS Services'. Honestly; I love this job but I hate it  :3some: Yes I am honest by saying this; I know I have a lot to bring to the service because of companionship and experience (hope my English worked now to best describe how I feel) but really....I would so like to move on and away from trauma and drama with patients.  :'( My heart feels too much, that's my problem.

If the salaries in the SA EMS was better, and maybe the working hours it would have helped but ok it is what it is and I am not at a happy place here but doing the surviving thing and I don't know anything other than giving my best. I would like to believe that I have got a good name because of giving my best regardless of where I stand.  :biggrin:

So I am now on the Woody1, Mr Zog and my sons leads with 2 x companies trying to come right as a farm worker in the States and I have been spending time on a farm bettering my skills. Take into consideration that I grew up on a vegetable farm and did plant as a child upto 2000 cabage plants after school in the afternoons, harvested bedroot and went to the market to return only after midnight. I have plowed even before we had a tractor with a lift and had to jump off and manually take the plow out with leavers, make my turn and repeat to get the plow back in the soil.
So farmwork is nothing new, during the years in the fire brigade I have farmed with green beans on a farm that does not get frost (Wolhuterskop) and even citrus.
Now I got an agreement with the farmer to work for free in my non EMS road shift days, to get back into the farming.

The CV was adapted albeit it looks very EMS orientated still, and Camp manager orientated with farming inbetween but I have to be honest. They also require a full length photo so today I got a pic which went onto the Resume with the John Deer 6630 tractor.....and what a machine that is! I am totally in love coming from a Ford 5000, Massey Ferguson 165 and 163 and Landini 90.

So lets see if something come of this!

I am also applying weekly for camp manager jobs and even a job to take care of old people abroad although they prefer woman.
I have been in contact with the RSPB today as well, I have applied to be a bait-loader on the eradication team and I got very positive feedback although the job will only be early next year. I think recruitment is only September, but my application was well received.

Tomorrow I am doing a fast 21km, hope to do good - a PB if all goes well since it is a very flat track - Hercules Spar Pretoria.

Good Weekend to you all!!

The second picture is of my son, he has come right in the States also for a farming job and have worked his last day today in SA for now.
He is a qualified millwright but always wanted to farm. He is literally now following his dream, and I am a proud dad.
Pay in the States for SA Farmworkers is between 12usd and 14usd an hour. Most expenses are paid for - I am not sure but think he is going to North Dakota. I will know soon, he did pay for his Visa last week (R2700) and only waiting for one more letter/paperwork and the to the consulate and then away.
I hope that I may follow soon!

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #3738 on: May 25, 2019, 07:57:08 pm »
All the best to you and your son Tom
Rallye

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3739 on: May 26, 2019, 12:31:51 pm »
Working a 24hrs today, and this was our first call for the day.
Bike accident on the satellite road. One of the bikers for some reason  mad a u turn right at the blind ride and his buddy's went flying into him.
Rip to the 2 bikers that was sadly kille  :'(
1 was treated by Er24 and airlifted and 1 was treated and stabilised by us.

Such a sad call  :'( and I so which another door can open so that I can walk away from all of this.
There are many great medics on the road that can continue the good work.