Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 281385 times)

Lazybones and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3740 on: May 26, 2019, 11:01:33 pm »
Ai man  :'(

So 4 bikes in total with 2 fatalities?

:'(   :'(
1250 GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3741 on: May 27, 2019, 10:21:14 am »
Ai man  :'(

So 4 bikes in total with 2 fatalities?

:'(   :'(

Correct  :'(

Offline Mooch

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #3742 on: May 27, 2019, 04:10:43 pm »
Eish not good man!
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3743 on: May 27, 2019, 05:44:41 pm »
I always say I don't mind growing old, but then with some dignity.
Something that's getting me these days are the number of elderly patients I get to stabilize with some form of uncontrolled diarrhea, limited motor response and basically bedridden. It is basically just a brain living behind the watery eyes.
One of my stronger attributes is to be a pillar for these people when they need me, I have a lot of compassion for the elderly.
The saddest thing is that mostly they are 'alone', no children near and when I do get hold of the children they mostly have an excuse not to come to the hospital for a visit.
I do something which I was told during training 'not to do' and that is to get a tad involved, checking up on some patients in the hospital when I arrive with someone else.To see them lightning up when they recognise you is just so special. Growing old I've come to learn is not always a blessing.....

Something that excites me a bit at this stage is that I am still a bit involved with Gough island and I do get contacted by email once a while by someone enquiring about equipment and so on on the island. So nice to still be involved, and great to share my experience.
I am on the fb group: Gough Island friends and often read about the latest developments with everything evolving around the upcoming mouse eradication - exciting times and like Santjie told me the other day;'it would be so nice to experience a mouse free Gough Island'
Marion Island is also getting ready for mouse eradication, probably for around 2021/22

The following users thanked this post: Kerritz, Gremlin

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3744 on: May 28, 2019, 03:08:55 am »
I'm holding thumbs for you to get the farming job in the USA Tom.

So you can, like me, leave the stress and the nightmares of the EMS in the past.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3745 on: May 28, 2019, 09:47:35 am »

So you can, like me, leave the stress and the nightmares of the EMS in the past.  :thumleft:

Thank you Gary, I have decided that if I do come right with farming in the USA I'll go to the Health professions council of SA and deregister as a medic.
It is a chapter I am looking fw for years already to close. I just need to settle into a new profession before I can take that step, but I just feel that I can take just 'so much' of EMS work in one life.
However; as you and many other people know me, I'll keep doing this to the best of my ability giving 110% to anyone that needs my medical care. One of my strongest characteristics I would like to believe is loyalty and compassion and that will never change.  :)

I am almost done with the last round of documentation, I worked till late last night and has just started after doing the household tasks (washing uniforms and clothes, cleaning the flat) What complicates my paperwork is my history: On the work visa application one needs to put in the details of your parents, and since I was adopted I am not sure how to get these since I have never met my dad. He was actually a US citizen but died in 2014, I only found out through a women that locates people in 2015. So I need to go the home affairs on Friday morning after yet another 48hrs road shift and hope to be successful in applying for a birth certificate (and I'll also ask them for unabridged birth certificate since my son had to get one - at this stage I did not get word to get one but thought let me start the process) 
For now I have put my adopting parents who are both diseased on the application, because that makes sense to me and I got their surname. My real name is actually Ronald Eybers and Tom Mc Sherry my adopting name.

Then my military background - I had to declare that but I was nothing special, just an ops signaler with 2SSB. But I also had to declare working in Iraq and Afghanistan but I think that will actually help my application since I was guarding and caring medical wise for US Contractors and with once again great loyalty. My US clients really liked me, and one is still a fb friend. They also want to know about times divorced (pok  :patch: ) and the ex details but luckily I still have the settlement document and could retrieve the information. Now I just need to add my DOD number and some more detail and submit everything and hope for the best.
I did alter my CV to reflect my agricultural and trucking history, but did stay 100% honest and therefore my CV still highlights my EMS career, as well as camp management. So lets see, how it goes but I am absolutely positive and really hope that this door will open for me. I know I got what it takes to make a success of farmwork in the States.
Next week I'll follow up on another lead I received via pm from a WD wrt farmwork. Just need to finish what I'm busy with. 
Thanks for all the leads and positive attributes on my thread, and please do share any work possibilities with me either on the thread or pm or even on whatsapp: zero79four50673two.  :thumleft:

Online Bike_Buddies

« Reply #3746 on: May 29, 2019, 03:03:02 pm »
A private game reserve in the Waterberg area in Limpopo is looking for a Lodge Manager (Hospitality, F&B and Lodge administration) to manage lodges on the property. This is a senior position and suited to a person who can work extremely well under pressure and with extensive experience in the industry. Duties will include general administration; day to day staff management; hosting of guests; housekeeping; F&B (including menu costing / compilation); purchasing and general human resource management (leave, rosters etc.). Must have previous 5* experience with an established network within the tourism; catering and hospitality industry. Must have ability to organise and manage large groups and their logistics and activities (flights, transfers, special requests etc.). Drivers license essential. Single live in position with accommodation offered on-site - must be willing to work in a fairly isolated environment. liz@lfhr.co.za       

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3747 on: June 05, 2019, 11:01:43 pm »
I need advice on down jackets, I see the real down jackets are rather pricey but they are light and compact. The 'Mac in a sack' kan fold up very small and its easy to travel with. The other cheaper type which is probably filled with something synthetic is a third the price, but are they any good?
That is just to help me on the ambulance, nights are really cold then if another door opens it should be convenient to travel with....I think.
Any tips, places with good prices? Here in Brits I have only seen some at Trappers ans Cape Union mart and the Mack in a sack is the cheapest real thing on special for R1280. Good?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:13:53 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline Shaun500

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #3748 on: June 06, 2019, 07:18:35 am »

Thank you Gary, I have decided that if I do come right with farming in the USA I'll go to the Health professions council of SA and deregister as a medic.
It is a chapter I am looking fw for years already to close. I just need to settle into a new profession before I can take that step, but I just feel that I can take just 'so much' of EMS work in one life.
However; as you and many other people know me, I'll keep doing this to the best of my ability giving 110% to anyone that needs my medical care. One of my strongest characteristics I would like to believe is loyalty and compassion and that will never change.  :)

I am almost done with the last round of documentation, I worked till late last night and has just started after doing the household tasks (washing uniforms and clothes, cleaning the flat) What complicates my paperwork is my history: On the work visa application one needs to put in the details of your parents, and since I was adopted I am not sure how to get these since I have never met my dad. He was actually a US citizen but died in 2014, I only found out through a women that locates people in 2015. So I need to go the home affairs on Friday morning after yet another 48hrs road shift and hope to be successful in applying for a birth certificate (and I'll also ask them for unabridged birth certificate since my son had to get one - at this stage I did not get word to get one but thought let me start the process) 
For now I have put my adopting parents who are both diseased on the application, because that makes sense to me and I got their surname. My real name is actually Ronald Eybers and Tom Mc Sherry my adopting name.

Then my military background - I had to declare that but I was nothing special, just an ops signaler with 2SSB. But I also had to declare working in Iraq and Afghanistan but I think that will actually help my application since I was guarding and caring medical wise for US Contractors and with once again great loyalty. My US clients really liked me, and one is still a fb friend. They also want to know about times divorced (pok  :patch: ) and the ex details but luckily I still have the settlement document and could retrieve the information. Now I just need to add my DOD number and some more detail and submit everything and hope for the best.
I did alter my CV to reflect my agricultural and trucking history, but did stay 100% honest and therefore my CV still highlights my EMS career, as well as camp management. So lets see, how it goes but I am absolutely positive and really hope that this door will open for me. I know I got what it takes to make a success of farmwork in the States.
Next week I'll follow up on another lead I received via pm from a WD wrt farmwork. Just need to finish what I'm busy with. 
Thanks for all the leads and positive attributes on my thread, and please do share any work possibilities with me either on the thread or pm or even on whatsapp: zero79four50673two.  :thumleft:
This might possibly open things up for you to get direct US citizenship with your father being a US citizen.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3749 on: June 06, 2019, 09:54:24 am »

This might possibly open things up for you to get direct US citizenship with your father being a US citizen.

I have never met my father, and was after years of 'in and out a 'home' (kinderhuis) legally adopted by the parents I identified with. My names were also changed from Ronald Eybers to Tom Mc Sherry - I like Tom better  :) I am actually sitting right here at home affairs today trying again to get an unabridged birth certificate and also applied for a new passport. Pok a maxi is R600 and birth certificate another R75. I am sure all be ok in the end.

I have not heard anything yet of work, but am working many hours currently on the road since people are on leave and courses. I have booked crazy hours for this month but every bit helps. Recieved my pavement today for shifts worked in May and can make the budged the first time since back from Gough.

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #3750 on: June 06, 2019, 10:25:06 am »
You need to apply for the original vault copy of your birth certificate. It will have your father's name and nationality together with your original name given at birth. Send me Whatapp on zero eight 3 7 three four 3 6 five nine and I will give you some pointers.

You actually on my Facebook: Shaun O'Neill

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3751 on: June 06, 2019, 10:30:44 am »
You need to apply for the original vault copy of your birth certificate. It will have your father's name and nationality together with your original name given at birth. Send me Whatapp on zero eight 3 7 three four 3 6 five nine and I will give you some pointers.

Thanks Shaun, I have explained now and they have told me it will show on my Unabridged birth certificate. Standing now in another line just to submit the forms - they say it can take anything between a month to 4 months but I'll get the one you specified now  :lol8:

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #3752 on: June 06, 2019, 10:33:09 am »

Thanks Shaun, I have explained now and they have told me it will show on my Unabridged birth certificate. Standing now in another line just to submit the forms - they say it can take anything between a month to 4 months but I'll get the one you specified now  8:
Good luck with Home Affairs. I waited just over a year.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3753 on: June 10, 2019, 06:44:08 pm »
The last few weeks I was enjoying working road ambulance shifts; sometimes crazy hours at the private ambulance service. I would like to believe that I got a bit 'fingerfit' again, with hands on experience on patients and a variety of cases.
That is coming to and end now, I am currently on my last shift and tomorrow morning I'll finalize my last paperwork (patient report forms) and go home, wash the 2 x uniforms and go hand it back.

Next? No idea. Still waiting, still trying to figure it out and not without hope that something good will come up. My whole life has been a fight, but a good one and I'll keep that spirit and work on my future.

It is what it is.

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #3754 on: June 10, 2019, 07:22:03 pm »
Holding thumbs, Tom. Hang in there.

There is definitely a niche for you somewhere and you just need to keep reminding people.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3755 on: June 13, 2019, 06:18:45 pm »
I have just phoned Gough Island. Not too expensive since it is going through as a 021 CT area code number.
Just wanted to hear how the team is doing, and was just so lekker to hear it's all well.

My freelance medic shifts are finished now with the private company, was a honour working for them on the road albeit hard on me. Shifts are long, and I have overbooked and got little rest but it was good experience and i did catch up a bit and honed the skills.

Soon I'll be riding g down to Ct. Anyone knows where is a cheaper overnight stop along the route halfway between Brits and CT?
Last time I did in in one day down and back up and that was a bit hard but I can manage again if need be.

Then I'll be in Ct, spending a bit of time at the dea East Pierre building and see what comes up.
Just waiting for my new passport, and then I'll ride down. I will also to replace tyres in Ct, it is still save for the yourney but please let me know where you Ct guys fit combos at reasonable prices.

I have an old friend in Belville where I can bunk for a while, and then I'll see where I can find affordable room with a safe bike parking.
I am not sure at this stage weather I'll be going to Gough, but I can at this stage do a bit of consulting which is good.
Let's see what the next chapter brings :)

Offline Gypsybaron

• My mind is like an eight lane highway - gridlocked!
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pick a direction, not a destination, and ride!
« Reply #3756 on: June 13, 2019, 07:07:42 pm »
I have just phoned Gough Island. Not too expensive since it is going through as a 021 CT area code number.
Just wanted to hear how the team is doing, and was just so lekker to hear it's all well.

My freelance medic shifts are finished now with the private company, was a honour working for them on the road albeit hard on me. Shifts are long, and I have overbooked and got little rest but it was good experience and i did catch up a bit and honed the skills.

Soon I'll be riding g down to Ct. Anyone knows where is a cheaper overnight stop along the route halfway between Brits and CT?
Last time I did in in one day down and back up and that was a bit hard but I can manage again if need be.

Then I'll be in Ct, spending a bit of time at the dea East Pierre building and see what comes up.
Just waiting for my new passport, and then I'll ride down. I will also to replace tyres in Ct, it is still save for the yourney but please let me know where you Ct guys fit combos at reasonable prices.

I have an old friend in Belville where I can bunk for a while, and then I'll see where I can find affordable room with a safe bike parking.
I am not sure at this stage weather I'll be going to Gough, but I can at this stage do a bit of consulting which is good.

Lekker man, ek hoop daar gebeur iets vir jou. Ek kry nie vir Willem in die hande nie, gaan moreoggend weer probeer. Laas toe ek deur is Kaap toe het ek by Laingsburg oorgeslaap in 'n gastehuis, aangesien dit off-peak was en hulle basies doodstil was het ek R350 by die Hotel Gal-Gihon betaal vir die nag, maar ek is seker jy kan dalk nog goedkoper wegkom as jy nie vol fiemies is nie en bietjie rondsoek. 'n Ander opsie is om by Gariepdam te oornag waar ons in 2012 ( :eek: kan amper nie glo dis so lank terug nie) die eerste 1150 Bash gehou het, daar kan jy kamp.
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis - Three Wooden Crosses

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3757 on: June 13, 2019, 08:12:50 pm »

Lekker man, ek hoop daar gebeur iets vir jou. Ek kry nie vir Willem in die hande nie, gaan moreoggend weer probeer. Laas toe ek deur is Kaap toe het ek by Laingsburg oorgeslaap in 'n gastehuis, aangesien dit off-peak was en hulle basies doodstil was het ek R350 by die Hotel Gal-Gihon betaal vir die nag, maar ek is seker jy kan dalk nog goedkoper wegkom as jy nie vol fiemies is nie en bietjie rondsoek. 'n Ander opsie is om by Gariepdam te oornag waar ons in 2012 ( :eek: kan amper nie glo dis so lank terug nie) die eerste 1150 Bash gehou het, daar kan jy kamp.

I dont care to rough it up bud, as you know I am used to Africa and sleeping on the floor. A mattress is a bonus.
I have read before about accommodation at Gariep for R200 a night, so will look into it.
I hope you come right, and if I do it will be just awesome. Jis man that is what the island need, guys like you that are multi skilled and good artisans that can actually get up and put in a full days of work.
I will learn a lot from you, and think together well make a good team.
Holding thumbs boet.  :thumleft:
I will do anything possible to get in the team and on that ship, but it was never easy to get selected and both of us age is unfortunately not doing us favours. Let's keep food faith and a positive spirit and see

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #3758 on: June 13, 2019, 08:44:57 pm »
Die groot vulstasie (vragmotor-putstops) daar by Beaufort-Wes, Leeu Gamka, ens het dikwels enkel kamers vir die vragmotobestuurders. Jy kan julle van die pad sien, sulke rye kamers. Glo ook goedkoop.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3759 on: June 15, 2019, 07:15:48 pm »
My sister has told me about an app: Airbnb where you can get cheap accommodation while traveling.
I can get for R280 neat accomodation in the Hanover area.

Got an sms yesterday after only 1 week that my passport is ready for collection. Unfortunately the sms only came through after 4pm, so I'll try Monday or Tuesday morning for collection.
My son is flying to Oklahoma on Monday, he got farmwork there so I will be on the airport early to see him off. His airfee was close to R23K  :o but the farmer will reimburse him after 3 months. So excited and happy for him!
Unfortunately they did not approve my application, said the farmers are looking for younger men but I am registered on both sites and they said maybe next year.

So later this week it's Cape town, with the first stop at the DEA's office. I really hope things will change now and soon. Been holding on for a while.  :thumleft: