Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 312369 times)

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3760 on: June 15, 2019, 07:59:58 pm »
Baie mooi foto's.

Ek hou duime vas vir jou. Ek glo dat dinge vir jou sal uitwerk. Jy verdien dit.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Online Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #3761 on: June 16, 2019, 11:40:07 am »
I have just phoned Gough Island. Not too expensive since it is going through as a 021 CT area code number.
Just wanted to hear how the team is doing, and was just so lekker to hear it's all well.

My freelance medic shifts are finished now with the private company, was a honour working for them on the road albeit hard on me. Shifts are long, and I have overbooked and got little rest but it was good experience and i did catch up a bit and honed the skills.

Soon I'll be riding g down to Ct. Anyone knows where is a cheaper overnight stop along the route halfway between Brits and CT?
Last time I did in in one day down and back up and that was a bit hard but I can manage again if need be.

Then I'll be in Ct, spending a bit of time at the dea East Pierre building and see what comes up.
Just waiting for my new passport, and then I'll ride down. I will also to replace tyres in Ct, it is still save for the yourney but please let me know where you Ct guys fit combos at reasonable prices.

I have an old friend in Belville where I can bunk for a while, and then I'll see where I can find affordable room with a safe bike parking.
I am not sure at this stage weather I'll be going to Gough, but I can at this stage do a bit of consulting which is good.
Let's see what the next chapter brings :)
Not exactly halfway, but Ive got friends who would love to have you. They are in Pretoria North. Do you want their coordinates?  :peepwall:
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3762 on: June 16, 2019, 05:04:28 pm »
I really love this pick I took yesterday morning on Hartbeespoort dam wall.

My friend with the cancer; Leanie, has finally reach the last it seems. She is critical ar Groenkloof hospital, and I dont see a turn around from her current condition.

I got sent a video which was very disturbing, and based on that thought not to go since she will not even know I am there. I have seen her a couple days back when we also thought it was the end of her road but this time it's much worse. Feel like I want to keep talking (typing) but know i am probably not making much sense.

It is what it is.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3763 on: June 16, 2019, 06:50:05 pm »
Baie jammer om te hoor van Leanie, Tom. Ek weet julle stap al 'n laaaaaang paadjie Sterkte vir julle almal wat haar ondersteun.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3764 on: June 17, 2019, 03:08:16 am »
Ai Tom, sterkte!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3765 on: June 17, 2019, 03:37:11 am »
Sorry about you not getting the farming job in the USA.

But your son did, and maybe he can put in a good word for you with his new boss when he has proved himself. The best referrals are always word of mouth.

And sorry about Leanie. Sometimes we just have to accept and move on, trying to understand just upsets us too much.

I suggest you run your next race in her memory...  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3766 on: June 17, 2019, 08:25:42 pm »
Thanks guys

Leanie is still holding on, I couldn't be there since I had to support my son today. I dont like last minute rush and decided to leave with him and his girlfriend to Johannesburg internarional at 12H00 from Brits. 13H30 we parked in level 2 and walked into the terminal. I wrapped his checkin bag while he enquired if he can check in and all ok. His bag was only 15kg, and i have an idea it will be considerably fatter when he return in 6months time  :)

We went to Spur to kill time, had 2 x koffees and a light lunch and then walked up to the viewing area. At 18H00 we said our goodbyes,  and he entered through customs. We left with mixed feelings; excited for him but also a lump in the throat. I suck at goodbyes, my heart is small but I did make it quick and no more difficult than it is.

He will start working for the farmer at Oklahoma, work up through South and then North Dakota! I think his main work is on grain silos as millwright, but he will also do some general farming in between.

So far the plan is still to ride down later the week to Cape Town, or maybe over the weekend to be there Monday morning. Nothing in cement though, will see how it pans out.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3767 on: June 26, 2019, 03:27:47 pm »
Hello WD's

My son is just so happy in Oklahoma and so for his main work is to repair harvesters. He sounds happy and excited, and that is such a bonus when you work and you are happy at work especially on a contract where your workplace and home is the same. It is a life that I was very used to for years, and sometimes it feels that I am still adapting back into 'normal society' or what most of us know as normal.
On the subject of work; I have missed a call from the local private ambulance service (used to volunteer and freelance there till recently) and replied by whatsapp. They asked me if I will help out tomorrow on the road and of course I said yes. Sitting around at home is just killing me, and I already wanted to be in Cape town to do some job hunting there since according to my CT medic friends there is more opportunities albeit mostly freelancing which seems to be a new standard in this type of work, just like the nurses always used to 'moonlight'. I actually did moonlight as a 'staff nurse' on my qualification for many years at Unitas, Akasia and Montana hospital but later years they stopped the medic's since I have been working away I never got the story as to why it stopped.

So tomorrow I'll be on the road again, but my CV was sent to a hotel in the interim, to another service provider as a 'general manager' and the lastest to the 'Tankwa Karoo as a camp manager for a tented camp. Now that one got my attention, the lead was sent this morning by anther Wild dog and I responded immediately.

I did enquire about my application at Gough Island, and someone on the know told me I may not be appointed but they are keeping me for a backup and then it will be a number 99 last minute thing. I am not upset about it, I know that they want to give the youngsters a change and to start a career and we must keep in mind that it is a SA Government institution so no hard feelings from my side - I had my change although I'll be back in a flash if they give me half a change.

Leanie is still holding onto live, I have said her goodbye x 2 now and my hart cant take any more of this. I am broken only when I am thinking of that beautiful woman, one of my closest friends. Next to my friend Melody she is the closest friend I have and now in a coma and to be honest; I don't think she is there anymore....just doesn't seem like it and her body is just gasping air and systems are just running. I dont know...cant say, but it is what it is.

So  I postponed my Capetown job-hunt because of Leanie, and will see what tomorrow may bring while working another shift with HEMS. One thing I cant deny, albeit a little bit of ptsd that flair up once in a while I actually love working on the ambulances if only just to bring calm and safety for people in need, pain and gaos.

Offline Skim

« Reply #3768 on: June 27, 2019, 06:22:06 am »
AI Tom

Hang in there - thinking of you on all fronts,

Skim

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #3769 on: June 29, 2019, 07:04:48 pm »
 :sip:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 08:07:49 pm by eberhard »
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3770 on: June 30, 2019, 02:47:20 pm »
Just like Mr Zog said it may happen!!

My son started calling me on whatsapp yesterday morning at 4am asking me he needs to speak urgently with me wrt work!

He said I need to immediately sent my CV to another farmer which he know, since they got rid of some laziness....
He also knows his dad, and that he can vouch for me and by principle I will even work harder when someone has vouched for me!

So I just got an e-mail back from the farmer by saying that they would like to give me a change to work for them in their enterprise for the remainder of the season.
The job offer is in Kansas!

So they have instructed me to get in touch with the South African agent and then their agent will speak to the SA agent and we will get the ball rolling for the VISA application.
Not sure what timeframe we are talking here, but I know it will all go well!

Thanks to all the Wild dogs positive contribution in the thread, and I will keep this one running till I get the VISA and purcure my air ticket.
Then I will open a new thread on my new chapter and leave Gough Island to rest. 
I was very privileged to be part of the SANAProgram for years, and now a new door is open - the Country I always dreamed about, I always wanted to see and experience the USA and finally it is happening!!

The following users thanked this post: dual, frankmac, silvrav, Kortbroek

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #3771 on: June 30, 2019, 03:10:36 pm »
Baie mooi Tom. Ek wens jou alle sterkte toe met die job.
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #3772 on: June 30, 2019, 03:13:16 pm »
Jis, dis wonderlike nuus!   :thumleft:
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #3773 on: June 30, 2019, 06:31:04 pm »
Just like Mr Zog said it may happen!!

My son started calling me on whatsapp yesterday morning at 4am asking me he needs to speak urgently with me wrt work!

He said I need to immediately sent my CV to another farmer which he know, since they got rid of some laziness....
He also knows his dad, and that he can vouch for me and by principle I will even work harder when someone has vouched for me!

So I just got an e-mail back from the farmer by saying that they would like to give me a change to work for them in their enterprise for the remainder of the season.
The job offer is in Kansas!

So they have instructed me to get in touch with the South African agent and then their agent will speak to the SA agent and we will get the ball rolling for the VISA application.
Not sure what timeframe we are talking here, but I know it will all go well!

Thanks to all the Wild dogs positive contribution in the thread, and I will keep this one running till I get the VISA and purcure my air ticket.
I was very privileged to be part of the SANAProgram for years, and now a new door is open - the Country I always dreamed about, I always wanted to see and experience the USA and finally it is happening!!

Fantastic news  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Rallye

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3774 on: July 01, 2019, 03:48:35 am »
Awesome news Tom  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:  :ricky:

The visa is processed at the consulate in JHB, Sandton. You will need at least 2 USA passport pics, and you can only get them at the PostNet across the road from the consulate in Sandton Square. About R100 (may be more now) for the two. They must be 2 inches by 2 inches or something crazy. Allow extra time before your appointment at the consulate to get this done. Park across from the consulate in the Sandton Square / City parking. And just take the basics with you, you have to hand in EVERYTHING including your phone at the security at the consulate.  :thumleft:

Well done buddy, your foot is in the door now. And I know that you will kick that door wide open, and make the job yours.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3775 on: July 01, 2019, 06:36:45 am »
Baie goeie nuus! Ek hou duime vas dat alles goed gaan met die aansoek :thumleft:

Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #3776 on: July 01, 2019, 07:36:48 am »
Ek dink IEMAND het gister aand nie baie geslaap nie. :laughing4:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:14:29 am by woody1 »

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #3777 on: July 01, 2019, 08:05:52 am »

Awesome, a new opportunity. Hope it all works out for you.  Enjoy.  :thumleft:

Offline ClemS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3778 on: July 01, 2019, 08:09:43 am »
 :blob3:  :blob1:  :blob10:  :blob5:  :blob7:  :blob6:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3779 on: July 01, 2019, 09:37:36 am »
Thanks guys and girls!

Like baas Kobus said, I didn't sleep much because of the excitement and when I finally did I woke up with the same dream, doing my CDL truck license in Kansas!! I need to do everything from scratch, but all the South Africans do and it is just fine. I am watching YouTube videos especially on the pre trip inspection and also the actual driving.
Since I'll be working at times in the workshop on truck brakes as well I'll come to that part as well, we live in a day where you can get most information for free off the net!

Now the agents must just do their thing; the boss said the SA agent must start the process and liaise with the USA agent to get my VISA processed and the agent in SA says she needs confirmation from them, and the time difference is 7 hours, but I trust everything will happen in good time.

Thanks for the info on the embassy visit Gary, I trust all will work out. Fotofirst in Brits also do the bigger speckt photo and I think it is probably because many local guys are farming/working in the United States.

For a long time already I've been hoping and looking for something other than paramedical work, and then I always had this dream to work in the USA and now it happened!! Good times :) and I love agriculture and trucking!!

The following users thanked this post: halfjob