Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 295429 times)

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3780 on: July 01, 2019, 09:47:33 am »
Thanks guys and girls!

Like baas Kobus said, I didn't sleep much because of the excitement and when I finally did I woke up with the same dream, doing my CDL truck license in Kansas!! I need to do everything from scratch, but all the South Africans do and it is just fine. I am watching YouTube videos especially on the pre trip inspection and also the actual driving.
Since I'll be working at times in the workshop on truck brakes as well I'll come to that part as well, we live in a day where you can get most information for free off the net!

Now the agents must just do their thing; the boss said the SA agent must start the process and liaise with the USA agent to get my VISA processed and the agent in SA says she needs confirmation from them, and the time difference is 7 hours, but I trust everything will happen in good time.

Thanks for the info on the embassy visit Gary, I trust all will work out. Fotofirst in Brits also do the bigger speckt photo and I think it is probably because many local guys are farming/working in the United States.

For a long time already I've been hoping and looking for something other than paramedical work, and then I always had this dream to work in the USA and now it happened!! Good times :) and I love agriculture and trucking!!
Hamba kahle TvB!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3781 on: July 02, 2019, 02:32:37 pm »
Weird how time drag when one is excited. Since Sunday I have been refreshing emails every couple minutes waiting anxiously for instructions - what to do next!!
Finally got the SA agent and she said she'll get back to me once she has got confirmation from the USA agent.....and then there is the time difference of 7 hours between us and Kansas!
Finally today I got the 'urgent mail' to start completing forms, which I already did when Gary pointed me in their direction a couple of months back. So I reminded her, but she could not 'see' me (pok it is because my nickname is Tom and my official names are  :patch: Thomas)
Phoned her and we got all sorted, and then she told me I need to wait for the other 2 guys since it seems we all are traveling together which is kind of cool.
My son was traveling all by himself, and I know very well how that feels. A couple of years back I flew on my own to Afghanistan to find work.....shit people I can write a book about that; very scary but it was successful albeit never again!

So the application process has started for the 3 of us, and I trust that all will be good. Now I need to sort a few things, had to go and pay up my rates and taxes at the local municipality in order to get a proof of residence. I will need that when I buy uds on the airport since I sold my dollars to my son to help him on his way.

Then my tax,the guy who used to do my tax all these years are out of country and I need to get it submitted before I leave. Not a big tax thing, the last 7 months I have worked for the DEA and my medical, pension and bank tax certificates. I did get as far as open the page to register on e-filing, but now I am a bit scared that if I start and don't understand what I'm doing I may make unnecessary mistakes. I have asked one of the WD friends that is into Tax for assistance but he may be busy, will wait for a reply.

Just a question; is it difficult to do the e-filing for those in the know how? 

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #3782 on: July 02, 2019, 02:40:44 pm »
Well done Tom! :hello2: E-Filing is pretty straight forward if your employer pre-loaded your IRP5, it basically guides you step for step, @ktmmer is your guy if you get stuck. 

The following users thanked this post: ktmmer

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3783 on: July 02, 2019, 02:43:16 pm »
Well done Tom! :hello2: E-Filing is pretty straight forward if your employer pre-loaded your IRP5, it basically guides you step for step, @ktmmer is your guy if you get stuck.

Thanks Blikkies, I'll wait a little bit and if I don't hear back soon from R I'll go ahead and give it a try. If I dont feel comfy I see there is an option to save and continue later. Just got to get this done before I leave, and I know that is soon.

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #3784 on: July 02, 2019, 03:49:46 pm »
Not sure what you were earning but if it was less that R500k from 1 March 2018 till 31 February 2019 then it looks like you don't have to file https://www.businessinsider.co.za/should-i-file-tax-return-2019-6

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3785 on: July 02, 2019, 03:57:32 pm »
Not sure what you were earning but if it was less that R500k from 1 March 2018 till 31 February 2019 then it looks like you don't have to file https://www.businessinsider.co.za/should-i-file-tax-return-2019-6

Way less Blikkie, but they owe me money and the only way to get it is to submit. I could not manage to complete the registration and then phoned. After 27 minutes I got answer and yes; lucky is is a free call!! The woman told me that the system is experiencing an overload and I should try late tonight or tomorrow....pok  :lol8: ok....then I'll try tonight! 

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3786 on: July 03, 2019, 07:34:53 pm »
My NC750X is now on 33k km, and today I had to ride to Pretoria. I am obviously a little more cautious since now I really cant affort any mishaps. Kept the revs under 3k rpm and on the 100km roundtrip got an avg consumption of 32.7km/l...Hows that! Not the most exciting bike but I will hold onto her for years to come, I'm sure.

My son gave me a WhatsApp video call out of his 'Huge tracktor" yesterday, pok people the farms are huge in the States and so green, well organized and all the machines! He says the birdlife is also amazing, and obviously I cant wait to see but first they need to get the 3 of us newbies paperwork sorted and arrange an embassy interview. In the interim I am studying airbrake systems, since I'll be working on it as well in the workshop. Looking so much forward. Got Rodney to help with the tax, so kudos once again to the WD's!!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3787 on: July 04, 2019, 02:03:28 pm »
Weird how things sometimes happens. I have just received a call from the private amb company, the one owner Nico. He was contacted for a reference check on me (I Didn't put up his name, but they must have called the company and asked to speak with a manager I think) 
That is for a camp manager position I have applied for recently in the Tankwa Karoo. I said thanks but I have already committed to my new job in the USA, and now way I'll turn away from that!
Decided to mail the 'tented camp' to inform them, and then one of the owners phoned and said he want to interview me since I have made the shortlist. So I informed him that I have just signed an offer in the USA.
Weird how one can sit for months looking for work, and nothing and then all of a sudden things changes.

I am already packed for the States, and I am dedicated and studying for commercial drivers license and I feel strong about making this my new career.  Like said earlier; the USA and agriculture have been a dream for many years, and I never thought I qualify so now I got the opportunity and I will make a success!   

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3788 on: July 06, 2019, 09:11:58 pm »
I just got the news that Leanie has passed on.

No mater how prepared you are, on is just never ready for the news....madness; I suppose it doesn't make sense.

Last Thursday I braced myself and tried to be brave and visited her one last time, by then I thought she was no more because I have opened her eyes to see. There was nothing; her eyes were already glassy and she was almost gasping for air. Her saturation was low, her blood tests showed decreases kidney function and more......I took her hand in both of mine and said a silent prayer. Walked out there knowing I will not see here again and it was hard since there is just so many good memories.
However, she is gone now after fighting cancer for about 8 years. The cancer has scared her body badly, she had a bilateral mastectomy, her 11rib has been removed and half a vertebra (replaced by a prosthetic one), she had some pins and other fusions in her pelvis and femur....so many pain, operations. Yet she never stopped smiling, she had the most beautiful voice........Leanie I will miss you for a long time, and I'll never forget you.

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #3789 on: July 06, 2019, 09:29:32 pm »
 :'(

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3790 on: July 06, 2019, 10:13:24 pm »
Tom, my heart goes out to you.
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #3791 on: July 07, 2019, 07:17:52 am »
Sterkte Tom.  :'(
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3792 on: July 08, 2019, 09:57:58 am »
Thanks guys

Busy studying for my CDL (Comercial drivers license) for the USA.
There is an app by name DMV genie, you can practice there and also pay for the full version which I did to have it add free and to open up all the tests.
At first I though it's easy and just plain common sense till I got into other sections about the airbrake systems, links and so on.

However; with the help of YouTube, the app as well as the downloaded manual I should be ok.

Only thing that bothers me currently is the silence. The agent is not coming back to me with the next step or follow up news, but maybe I'm just a bit paranoid since I have lots R11k earlier the year with an application to go to Iraq which was canceled right on no99.

Tomorrow I am taking my sons girlfriend to the USA embassy in Sandton for her Visa interview, she has got work on the Disney cruise ship as a hair dresser. 9 month contract.

My son in law is doing his passport today, he got work on a bee farm (I think in Texas)

Later this week will be Leanie's funeral.

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #3793 on: July 08, 2019, 11:02:14 am »
saddened to hear Tom.... :'(

sterkte ouboet

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3794 on: July 08, 2019, 04:41:28 pm »
Just as I got worried the phone beeped a couple of times announcing new emails! :)

The agent got back to me, and I have received all the paperwork I need to finalize the application.
This was now the contract and a few other forms.

They also require an international drivers licence so I will have to go to the AA in Menlyn tomorrow after the embassy visit with Devone.
She has also mailed me 2 x CDL handbooks and some other attachments and also suggested that I get DMV genie.

Also got my bigger 50mm Passport pictures, will need one for the embassy when I get my interview as well as one for my International drivers licence.
The cost of the Visa is 190usd and the return flight close to R23K which I luckily have. I am holding on to my savings for unforseen circumstances like emergencies and now this job opportunity.

I trust all will go well, with some luck I may get my VISA application interview later this week.

My contract is short but thorough, just the way I like it, enough detail and easy to understand. It also states that one is not allowed to use your cell phone during work hours....now that's what I like because workers on phones must be rather frustrating just like people on their phones in traffic.
One is not allowed to take photos of the farm and workplace which is also good practice wrt privacy and security.
I will take my small mirrorless camera with and only use it after hours on birds, landscape and where I am allowed to use it.

Maybe I have said this before, and we all have different dreams and goals in life but getting a contractual agricultural contract in the States is a dream come true; I almost need to pinch myself to confirm I'm not dreaming and its real and happening.

After the season I trust they will call me again but then I'll have 3 to 4 months to pass back home. That is when I'll get involved with a hobby where I can make/build things and maybe take on some special skill courses like aluminium welding and so on.

Last week ended on a low with the sad departure of Leanie :'( . I got a feeling this is going to be a better week.  :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:42:44 pm by Tom van Brits »

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #3795 on: July 09, 2019, 07:06:21 am »
Daar het jy dit... gaan geniet jou hamburger pattie BBQ...  :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline gmac

« Reply #3796 on: July 09, 2019, 09:11:45 am »
I think I know what they are farming ......

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3797 on: July 09, 2019, 01:19:28 pm »
Funny  :lol8:

All legit and I will enjoy my BBQ patties  ;)

We left Brits this morning at 5am and arrived across the USA Embassy in Sandton at 6am. Got parking in the malls parkade across the street, and we found an open coffee shop. Her interview was scheduled for 9am, but 7H30 I suggest she go since that is opening time. I went to back to the car and studied a bit on DMV genie app, and 9am she was back at the car with a broad smile; approved.

The international driver's license at Menlyn AA was also quick, and then we headed to Mathers for some cheap but great quality sausage rolls. Last stop was at Makro, and then home where I scanned and mailed the international driving permit.

All my contracts and attachments have been mailed through to the SA agent now, so I think the next step is an appointment for me at the US consulate for the VISA and shortly after that I may leave.....maybe next week already.

My son says they are having big rainfall again and could not work more than 2 hours a day for the last 2 days. I am not sure if he is still in Kansas or Nebraska already, I know they were in and out Colorado a few days back. If I understand correct he will end up in Illinois - Chicago in a few months time. How lucky that young man is to see such a big and beautiful part of the States!   

Offline BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #3798 on: July 09, 2019, 01:35:16 pm »
Tom, ek volg jou 'trials & tribulations' jare al en is werklik verjeug dat jy die kontrak gekry het....
'70 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120, '84 Honda VF 1000 RE, '01 Yamaha YZ 250 N, '12 Honda XR 650 L, '14 Honda NC 750 X

If I REALLY wanted to ride a BMW, I would join the Tshwane Metro.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3799 on: July 10, 2019, 03:05:34 am »
Things are falling into place Tom  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.