Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 311184 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3800 on: July 12, 2019, 08:56:57 pm »
Things are falling into place Tom  :thumleft:

Slowly but surely Gary, soon I'll be in the States!!

Today was weird in a way; I got a phone call from the HR lady but when I saw the CT number I already knew ...
Yes she wanted to check if I am still interested in going to Gough island for a year expedition and for the first time ever I declined. A few days earlier and I would have jumped through the roof but now with my new signed contract in Kansas in agriculture I'm set and happy as can be!

I do however hope that they do get a worthy medic/expeditionist because it's a big year which I will follow closely over distance. I hope and trust that the mouse eradication will be successful and my best wishes go with the Dea and RSPB during this time.

I trust that my new career will do me good.

Have a great weekend!  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3801 on: July 14, 2019, 10:44:07 pm »
Tonight I got the last of my needed paperwork. Must say I generated quite a bit of that!  :)
The last instructions from the agent with plenty warning about the do's and don'ts of interview day.
I love backups and printed 2 of each required form, made sure I got everything and now I need to wait it out. She did indicate that the has applied to bring my appointment fw to either next week Monday or Tuesday. So let's see what happens.
My new employer indicated that I will stay and work till 12th January 20. Seems the other okes on the same contract leaves end of Nov. We are 3 and I assume the same apply to them. My son think we will probably stay on to do  cut silage.
I am packed and ready, just need to buy a handlugage rucksack and then in the meantime study as much as I can for my CDL. I also want to go to a friend of my son to practice some reversing with the link.

I have also revered an old friend to the Dea; he is interested in the island medic position. I will keep an eye on the Island's news next year and trust that the mouse eradication year will be a huge success.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3802 on: July 15, 2019, 07:52:44 am »
Go Tom!  :happy1: :usa2: :usa2: :usa2:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3803 on: July 15, 2019, 12:50:47 pm »
My request for an expedited embassy appointment has been approved: Wednesday 17th!

I know it is probably natural to feel a bit nervous, this is a big event in my life!   :)

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #3804 on: July 15, 2019, 12:51:33 pm »
Geluk man.. jy is amper daar. :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #3805 on: July 15, 2019, 01:44:58 pm »
All the very best to you Tom
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3806 on: July 15, 2019, 03:12:14 pm »
Tonight I got the last of my needed paperwork. Must say I generated quite a bit of that!  :)
The last instructions from the agent with plenty warning about the do's and don'ts of interview day.
I love backups and printed 2 of each required form, made sure I got everything and now I need to wait it out. She did indicate that the has applied to bring my appointment fw to either next week Monday or Tuesday. So let's see what happens.
My new employer indicated that I will stay and work till 12th January 20. Seems the other okes on the same contract leaves end of Nov. We are 3 and I assume the same apply to them. My son think we will probably stay on to do  cut silage.
I am packed and ready, just need to buy a hand luggage rucksack and then in the meantime study as much as I can for my CDL. I also want to go to a friend of my son to practice some reversing with the link.

I have also revered an old friend to the Dea; he is interested in the island medic position. I will keep an eye on the Island's news next year and trust that the mouse eradication year will be a huge success.

I have just double checked all my paperwork and realised I have made a mistake with the above mentioned date.
When I looked at the contract start and end date I realised that the way we interpret dates are different to our friends in the States.
We write 'day/month/year opposed to them: month/day/year.
So there is no extended time, the contract is from the arrival date to the 1st of December (not 12th of first month  :lol8: )

That mean I will be back home just before my son, I think his contract is 12/12 which is less confusing, you can't get it wrong  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3807 on: July 16, 2019, 02:43:27 am »
I am packed and ready, just need to buy a hand luggage rucksack and then in the meantime study as much as I can for my CDL. I also want to go to a friend of my son to practice some reversing with the link.

I have just double checked all my paperwork and realised I have made a mistake with the above mentioned date.
When I looked at the contract start and end date I realised that the way we interpret dates are different to our friends in the States.
We write 'day/month/year opposed to them: month/day/year.
So there is no extended time, the contract is from the arrival date to the 1st of December (not 12th of first month  :lol8: )

That mean I will be back home just before my son, I think his contract is 12/12 which is less confusing, you can't get it wrong  :imaposer:

yup...  :sip:

you have much to learn young Padewan  :deal:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3808 on: July 17, 2019, 02:40:50 pm »
 :wav:

Yes; that USA work Visa has been approved!!

It will take another few days before I can collect at DHL Pretoria, they say upto 5 days.
My guess is Monday, and maybe I'll start with the journey midweek.

It was quite a process, generated quite a lot of paperwork but it was all worth the effort!!

So excited   :3some:

My tax was handled by a real gentleman on WD's; thank you Sir!  O :thumleft:

Finally everything is falling into place after a long drought  :)

The following users thanked this post: Blou Zebu

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #3809 on: July 17, 2019, 02:53:31 pm »
Lekker Tom... good news, and good luck. I hope it is all you want it to be. Take care, and enjoy it!  :thumleft:
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3810 on: July 17, 2019, 03:11:15 pm »
Lekker Tom... good news, and good luck. I hope it is all you want it to be. Take care, and enjoy it!  :thumleft:

Thanks TrailBlazer, appreciate the kind words and I will work hard to make this work  :thumleft:

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #3811 on: July 17, 2019, 03:58:23 pm »
:wav:

Yes; that USA work Visa has been approved!!

It will take another few days before I can collect at DHL Pretoria, they say upto 5 days.
My guess is Monday, and maybe I'll start with the journey midweek.

It was quite a process, generated quite a lot of paperwork but it was all worth the effort!!

So excited   :3some:

My tax was handled by a real gentleman on WD's; thank you Sir!  O :thumleft:

Finally everything is falling into place after a long drought  :)

lakka bru  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3812 on: July 18, 2019, 02:51:27 am »
Fantastic news Tom!

I knew you could do it  :thumleft:

And I know you can make a massive success of the work in the USA too. I have worked with you before, and I know you have "the right stuff"  :thumleft:

Bring biltong spice, Klipdrif, and aromat with you, and the braai's will be just as good (almost) as back in SA  :thumleft:  :ricky:

Maybe you can get them to book your return flight to SA from Orlando, then you can jump a local flight down to here and we can do some fishing before you fly home  :deal:  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:52:53 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3813 on: July 18, 2019, 07:06:54 am »
Fantastic news Tom!

And I know you can make a massive success of the work in the USA too. I have worked with you before, and I know you have "the right stuff"  :thumleft:

Bring biltong spice, Klipdrif, and aromat with you, and the braai's will be just as good (almost) as back in SA  :thumleft:  :ricky:

Maybe you can get them to book your return flight to SA from Orlando, then you can jump a local flight down to here and we can do some fishing before you fly home  :deal:  :thumleft:
It doesn't work like that usually, you have to exit the same route you came in on or much more expensive? :sip:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3814 on: July 18, 2019, 11:58:05 am »
Fantastic news Tom!

It doesn't work like that usually, you have to exit the same route you came in on or much more expensive? :sip:

Thanks Gary, great minds since I was toying with the idea to ask you and Alex if I can make a quick visit at the end of the contract since I would love to do a bit of fishing with you just like the old days at Zeekoeigat and I would so love to visit the space station. Always been an bucket list dream thing... :biggrin:

My son entered in Oklahoma and will exit from Illinois Chicago.  However that was pre arranarranged since his farmer is like a NOMAD harvested/service provider.
The problem is the VISA on H2 is only valid for the season the farmer stipulated. I am not sure if agri is different to for example cruise ship because Devone got a 5 year but my son's VISA is only valid for the exact period and every season you get new paperwork and redo the process. Also confirmed by one of the youngsters I have met in the line at the embassy but I should have my passport back on Monday and will confirm this.
If the length of stay is longer I am indeed allowed to move my return flight to a new hub and time at a cost of R3k I did read my son's terms and condition when we sorted him. So it will all depend on VISA.

I got an email from my boss, she has enrolled me on an online course for CDL CELL and asked me to study, do the exam and mail her the link to the certificate. Now this is only a CDL preparation course but I think it helps when they do the booking.
How's that for efficiency,  the more I hear and speak to my son the more impressed I am.

He asked me yesterdy; "dad are you still in good shape, because you are going to work hard'  :lol8: I reminreminded him not to worry, I still so 4 x 5km runs a week at a respectable pass and I have never shied away from work.

Remember like said; it is in my contract that I am not allowed to put photos of the farming enterprise on social media and my work is first priority. Also no phones in work in hours. I will therefore just share interesting things I come across in town and elsewhere, maybe some landscape scenery and Bird pics if I get time to do. This season or of the remainder will serve as a learning curve.

Cheers :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3815 on: July 18, 2019, 01:49:22 pm »
Wonderful news Tom! Wishing you much blessings for this next phase in your life  :thumleft:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3816 on: July 18, 2019, 02:45:42 pm »
Devone, my sons girlfriend just shared the exciting news with me: She is flying coming Sunday to Miami to board and work on the tourist ship, the 'Carnival Conquest'

She is a qualified hairdresser and also involved with health/beauty products. So excited for her as well, and I want to encourage any youngsters to first study and qualify and only then think of taking a 'gap year'. In this case she will get to work on this luxury vessels, see the world while earning.  :3some:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3817 on: July 21, 2019, 08:29:16 pm »
It has been a busy few days. I have been studying and taking the exams off the online CDL course my new employer enrolled me on, and today I have finished.
Then I got a mail from her asking me to do the 'Truckers agains trafficking' course and sent her the certificate for printing since it is compulsory to have now for all the CDL holders in the States. Currently there are 2.4 million CDL drivers in the States (Commercial drivers licence - in other words truck with a combined weight of over 26001pounds. Commonly referred to as tractor and trailer, or combination vehicles and then 'doubles and triples, Hazmat and tankers.

Have a look here and if you have time see the video as well, about 30minutes:  https://truckersagainsttrafficking.org

Very sad to think that this is going on, but at least there is a hotline now and I have already memorised the number just for incase I need to report anything.
I cant believe that criminals will even think of doing things like this in a great country where there is proper enforcement of law and order.

So I got my certificate now after taking the short exam and will mail it to the boss, and tomorrow I'll go to DHL Hatfield to collect my passport with VISA and then go to Menlyn to have lunch with one of my good WD friends.

This may be the last long haul with my NC before she will get rolled into the back of my living room (safest spot) where she will wait for me to return December.
With a bit of luck (fingers crossed) my VISA is a week or so valid after leaving my employer and then I can go visit the Zog house in Florida!

Cant say I am not stressed a bit, I got quite a bit of pressure on me to perform but I am going to give 110%. This is a big opportunity.
Devone has also left today - flying to Miami to board her ship where she will be a hair dresser till end of February and although I am excited for her I suck at goodbeys. She is my son's girlfriend and like my own daughter....pok I almost teared up when I said goodbye  :'( but I am so proud of her taking on the world all on her own, just like my son a few weeks back.

Someone told me Saturday morning at the parkrun that it is so sad that we are leaving to work abroad, and I came home with the thought thinking; no it is not really sad, we should have been exposed since young children in school about the fact that there is live abroad....that the world is actually out there and that we can spread our wings and travel and explore!

Yes maybe it is easy for me to speak since I am a bachelor, but really so many people are stuck not knowing of the opportunities out there! Sometimes, especially when I don't have a contract and income I feel lonely (am actually) and think it would have been nice to be 'normal' like having a local life, a loved one (support each other) but then a door opens like this contract and all off a sudden my life is less complicated - I can just pack up and go!

A big (huge) dream come true; to see a bit of the United States of America and to work in the agricultural sector and mainly as a truck driver. No more emergency medical calls and nightmares.....life is good!!  :thumleft: :laughing4:

Offline Noneking

« Reply #3818 on: July 21, 2019, 08:35:34 pm »
Sterkte vir jou Tom. Bly dinge werk uit vir jou. Hoop om darem nog jou bydraes hier te sien!
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3819 on: July 21, 2019, 08:50:48 pm »
Sterkte Tom en bly jou dinge werk goed uit!
Ek weet sommer jy gaan baie goed doen!
Asb hou ons op hoogte!
Dakar 650
SR 500