Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 412720 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3840 on: July 30, 2019, 03:01:39 am »
Give me a call or send a text when you can. WhatsApp also works, airports all have free WiFi in areas (try McDonalds) to let me know how things are going  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Skim

« Reply #3841 on: July 30, 2019, 06:22:22 am »
Sterkte Tom - jy sal goed doen.

Geniet elke oomblik.
Skim

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.

Online Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #3842 on: July 30, 2019, 06:46:39 am »
Bon voyage Tom van USA.
Jy sal asb n nuwe thread moet begin!
Geniet dit hoor, en se vir Trump ons stuur groete!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #3843 on: August 01, 2019, 02:11:10 am »
Tom has arrived at his final destination and starts work tomorrow.

I have sent him a WhatsApp but the message hasn't been delivered yet. He obviously doesn't have WiFi yet or a local phone.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #3844 on: August 01, 2019, 02:48:08 am »
Tom just replied.

He can't talk now, must be busy. He is in Cimarron, Kansas. He has a new local number.  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Knucklhead

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3845 on: August 01, 2019, 03:23:01 am »
Gary thanks for the update and give him my regards. :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Online Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #3846 on: August 01, 2019, 04:40:37 am »
Go Tomster!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #3847 on: August 02, 2019, 01:49:27 am »
I just spoke to Tom on the phone  :ricky:

He says that it is VERY hot, probably over 100 degrees. I think he is suffering a bit with that, having just left winter in SA  :lol8:

He also says that they are working very hard. He started work at 7 this morning, and will continue to work until around 9pm when it gets dark. Today he is driving a big truck, carrying 72 000 lb loads of cow shit. Taking the shit to a plant where it will become fertilizer / manure.

He is LOVING it so far. I can just hear the excitement and happiness in his voice. I haven't heard him this excited in a long time. He is also having many of the WTF moments that I had when I first arrived here  :imaposer:

He says that the farm that he is working on is very impressive, it's a beef farm and he hasn't ever seen a farm this big!

He may call later on again, he was just between loading loads of shit when he called for a couple of minutes... he is an hour later than me, I am 6 hours behind the time in SA, he is 7 hours. So by the time he gets finished working and back to his digs I may already be asleep.

Whatever, Tom is doing great, and he is having a ball...  :thumleft:  :ricky:

The following users thanked this post: Blou Zebu, Fudge, ButtSlider, frankmac, Skim, Tom van Brits, Oubones

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3848 on: August 03, 2019, 07:46:38 am »
Thanks for the updates Gary, much appreciated!!  :thumleft:

Hello Wd's!  :)

Wow, where do I start? All I can say is that the United states of America is awesome!!
Information overload, so much to absorb!

My sister volunteered to take me to the airport on Thuesday and we decided to play safe and leave Brits 5 hours early.
We got on the highway and when we made the turn onto the N1 connecting from the N4 we heard on the radio that there is a big accident at Nelmapius drive and delays expected. So we thought of getting off at the Delmas offramp but the traffic was flowing and my sis suggested we stay on the main road since the R21 got 5 lanes and it should be ok. Big mistake...the R21 was closed and we decided to head to Midrand and get on Olifantsfonetein road but then another accident at Botha and we got stuck. What was supposed to be an hour and 30 minutes drive became 2H40 :dousing:

I was in time, and met my colleagues at the boarding gate. Both of them great guys and then we realized the agent got the seats wrong and the 3 of us were sitting behind each other in the middle row :imaposer:
The Boeing 777 wide body was loaded to capacity but the 15Hour 20 minute flight to Atlanta Jackson airport was good.
Arriving at Atlanta was already impressive, seeing how well everything is organized

The airport is massive, its huge and there is a trainservice just like the Gautrain which takes you to your boarding gate. The last flight was only 2 hours to Kansas Wichita and our boss recognized us as South Africans at the carousel where we got our luggage.

Then we walked out and got into that amazing truck of his, and I will try and get a photo at some stage but a huge GMC and beautiful! Little did we know that that truck will transfer on Friday (today) to the foreman ( also a South Africa) and that he will get a new Doge, the latest and greatest and just the most beautiful truck!

So we were on this road trip of about 2 hours to Cimarron and he asked 1 guy to take us to Wallmart so that we can buy phones with American numbers and groceries. He gave us our Visa money back in cash which was 190 usd. For $173 I got more than enough groceries to take me through a month. I also got me a new Samsung J7 for $100 brand new at Walmart with starterpack included. $55 got me unlimited internet, local calls and sms for a month.

We came back to the ranch and settled in a very nice RV, it sleeps 8 but we are 6 living g in it. I would describe the space similar to the SA Agulhas2 cabin space. We are not in each other's way, and it is comfy and all we need.

Thursday morning at 7am we had a short meeting and then we had to haul manure. The boss do not like the use of a truck clutch and told us to learn how to float gears. So the 3 newbies got in the cabs of international Peterbuilt 85000pound tandems (code 11 dubble diff is called a tandem here) and we started riding empty and then the experienced driver will ride full. I have never floated gears and it is considered an art in trucking industry. After about 4 or 5 loads we were on our own, and got plenty of hours to practice. I have no issue in gearing up, even splitting after 5th gear al the way to 10 floating but my issue is the downshift....I need a lot of practice there.
We did work hard long hours and the temp reached 108 degree Fahrenheit. I was drenched in sweat and everytime I got back in the truck I appreciated the aircon.

Today again meeting at 7 and the we started with maintenance in the workshop on the silage choppes (Claas Jaguar) and also on trucks. Then I had to go out to another town (forgot the name) but rather far to go replace an broken engine mounting from a combination vehicle (Tractor with trailer) That is with another team of our boss. I have no idea but estimate that we are close to 20 South Africans working here. We worked outside in the sun, I found myself in the most awkward positions under that truck but we managed. We had to go to the nearest town to get some crack g rods to fix a water pipe and the people were always helpful and friendly.

I have worked 13 hours today and once back I once again just made quick food. I bought 10 x frozen pizzas for $2,50 at wallmart. That is so nice, quick and easy meal.

Our boss gave us off for the weekend and suggested we go to the Rodeo tomorrow in Doge town. One of the big events so I have decided to go.
Obviously we are getting paid per hour, and some prefer working but I am happy for time off to take a brief rest and to see a bit of America and their culture.

So far I can just highlight some observations:
It is beautiful
It is clean, no litter and perfect
It is beautifully maintained (perfect roads, road signs, markings)
It works - as for in everything the way it should.
It is safe and people leave there vehicles running with arcon on while inside a store.

I don't want to talk SA down and go on all about how great the states is but I just want to share my experience the way i see it through my eyes. Kansas to me currently (because I wasn't elsewhere) is just an amazingly beautiful states and I would love to see more.
With the amount of hours and so on we work and taking into consideration how big this country is I may not get to see all that much while working.
My success here still depends on weather pr not I'll get my CDL licence. There is a very limited amount of time left to do it, and there is a process. I first need to get social security and then do car licence, then 5 x theory exams and then after some time one can go for the previous tip, yard reverse and road driving.
There must still remain 3 months on your work visa otherwise they will not let you do cdl.
We are going to try, it will be a touch and go but let's see.
Worst case scenario we will keep in driving tandems but they take only 72000pounds of silage which is not that much, the horse and trailer (tractor and trailer) takes double.

The main thing why we were hired is to drive trucks and mostly silage and grain. The manure is just an 'inbetween'

Honestly though, America is an amazing country and I can see why so many people are trying so hard to get here and go through a lot of trouble to get them green cards.

For now I'll take it one day at a time but I can't almost recall when last I was excited like this about another visit outside the borders of SA. :) :laughing4:

I will not be often on Wd's now because of hours of work but hope to update at some stage with some pictures. I haven't taken pictures yet, there is just no time :)

Hope you all have a good weekend!!  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Blou Zebu

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #3849 on: August 03, 2019, 07:53:52 am »
Great stuff, Tom. Ta for the updates.

Offline Splash

« Reply #3850 on: August 03, 2019, 08:11:27 am »
What am amazing experience and to be so excited about life. Just proves that if something is right, things just fall in place. Well done. Wishing you still much more happiness. You also seem to be very organised. Goes a long way to making life "pleasant".
Have bike, will ride.

Offline BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #3851 on: August 03, 2019, 08:16:15 am »
Great stuff, Tom!!!!!

I just get up every morning and go out. And I dont let the old man in, Clint Eastwood

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3852 on: August 03, 2019, 08:33:23 am »
Tom, didn't you have to do some driving exam?
Trying to outlive Keith Richard.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3853 on: August 03, 2019, 03:40:08 pm »

Hello Welsh

In some States you are allowed to drive with your SA SA licence and international drivers licence (got it in SA at the AA) a tandem as long as it is a farm truck carting grain to the elevators/silos or silage or even manure.
However; the farmer wants or needs us as soon as possible on on the big trucks. Here in America you ride with the horse and trailer right in the field behind a silage chopper and it fills you. You have an air suspension and can see the weight indicated on the dash in some sort of percentage and know when to back out.
When harvesting you ride beside the combine.
So for driving the real big trucks you need CDL and in general rule (with some exceptions) any vehicle with a gross weight of 26001 pound or higher.
I hope we will get a change to go write theory exams next week after getting social security I'd done. It will take some time

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3854 on: August 03, 2019, 03:55:04 pm »

Hello Welsh

In some States you are allowed to drive with your SA SA licence and international drivers licence (got it in SA at the AA) a tandem as long as it is a farm truck carting grain to the elevators/silos or silage or even manure.
However; the farmer wants or needs us as soon as possible on on the big trucks. Here in America you ride with the horse and trailer right in the field behind a silage chopper and it fills you. You have an air suspension and can see the weight indicated on the dash in some sort of percentage and know when to back out.
When harvesting you ride beside the combine.
So for driving the real big trucks you need CDL and in general rule (with some exceptions) any vehicle with a gross weight of 26001 pound or higher.
I hope we will get a change to go write theory exams next week after getting social security I'd done. It will take some time

:thumleft:
Trying to outlive Keith Richard.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3855 on: August 03, 2019, 06:00:31 pm »
I can share this pics to give you an idea

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3856 on: August 03, 2019, 06:01:08 pm »
 :)

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3857 on: August 03, 2019, 06:01:49 pm »
Last one

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3858 on: August 03, 2019, 06:04:45 pm »
It unloads with rolling chains, very interesting and totally new to me.
Not sure how often I'll ne able to post and also take pics. Maybe I'll open a new thread at some stage, but for now I'll just update here.
Must use most of my time off to study for the CDL.
Have a great weekend  :thumleft:

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #3859 on: August 04, 2019, 10:13:46 am »
Dodge City Rodeo