Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 287508 times)

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3900 on: August 12, 2019, 07:13:15 am »
... Almost like SA - everyone watches while one works :laughing4:
My first thoughts as well

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3901 on: August 13, 2019, 02:09:23 am »
... Almost like SA - everyone watches while one works :laughing4:
My first thoughts as well

That's because they are all South Africans  :deal:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3902 on: August 13, 2019, 04:34:06 am »
 :spitcoffee: yes we did draw some attention today when we poured the concrete in the heat of the day as well, but respect x 3 to my boss that is my senior by a few years and worked just as hard and done all the floating/finishing(Smoothing) himself!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:50:48 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3903 on: August 13, 2019, 04:46:49 am »
I was not familiar at all with the 'chain offloader" (if that is even correct) but highly impressed!
You stop, engage PTO and slowly let go of the cluch and the rear doors of the truck opens and the load shifts off in maybe 1minute time!
Then you drive a few yards fwd and disengage PTO, press close (doors) and check if it dit close and drive off.

That also need regular grease and service. I need to count all the grease nippels I need to service on my truck but there are many. Only on the drive shafts there are 3 universal joints not to mention the drive axle, steering arms and the aux unit.

Tomorrow is my first day at chopping sialage. I'll obviously drive loads to the feeders; back and forth to the land where we will be chopping. Looking fw!! :)

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #3904 on: August 13, 2019, 03:46:59 pm »
Glad to read you're loving the USA, Tom.  Zog is right, the Amazon app on your smartphone is the bees knees.

You can search for anything on the Amazon app, then compare prices with other online retailers.

A few clicks, done, delivered to your RV if you butter up your UPS driver with cold drinks, candy bars, cookies.

Buying hats or caps.  If you ever see a seed salesman or farm machinery salesman, whatever, those guys carry hats to give away for promotion. 

Tell salesman you need lots of caps, he'll probably hand you 5-10 for free.

If you need boots or shoes, Zappos dot com.  They have an enormous warehouse right next to the largest UPS hub in the USA, in Louisville, Kintuck.

I shit you not, I've placed orders as late as 10:30pm and had the shoes at my front door by 10am the next morning.  If I'm n to mistaking, they offer free size exchanges and returns, though I haven't ordered from Zappos in quite some time.  I went with the best most comfortable boots I've ever worn, Danner, made in USA in Oregon or Washington state iirc.

A convenience store is a money pit if you add up visiting one daily over the course of your stay.

I hope you're buying beverages and snacks in bulk at Walmart or Sam's Club or Costco and not paying $2 for a bottle of pop and $4.29 for a bag of Doritos at a convenience store numerous times a week, that wastefulness adds up over time.

Your foreman has excellent taste in trucks.  His GMC is equipped with the best Diesel engine on earth, the 6.6L Duramax!  His truck was built in Flint, Michigan.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3905 on: August 14, 2019, 01:12:03 am »
Thanks big oil! Appreciate all te advice,  I am still working and next in line to be loaded but thought to have a quick look at Wd's.

Cheers bud  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3906 on: August 15, 2019, 10:26:57 pm »
Sialage season :)

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #3907 on: August 15, 2019, 11:04:29 pm »
Kry ek nou heimwee!!

In 2001 me and 2 mates spent a summer mostly in Kansas. We harvested a few mile from you around Johnson City, Ks. It was crazily hot but a very satisfying time.

Our base farm was just west of Cunningham, east of Pratt. On you way from Wichita you would have passed through them.

I do agree, the USA is a GREAT country! I believe if you are willing to work you will make a living.

I love the Wrangler range of clothing, sommer at Wallmart, especially their jeans. Nothing locally compares in quality of comfort. On the shoe front I like Justin, especially this model: https://www.sheplers.com/justin-mens-drywall-waterproof-pull-on-work-boots---soft-toe/050B99.html?dwvar_050B99_color=7010#start=8

If you would like to die of boredom, get struck in that silage compactor tractor - I'm sure that operator dreams in circles!

I was mostly on the trucks or in the workshop - combine or grain cart is also mind numbing for me.

I really like your pictures. It is sad that so many farm buildings just stand empty?

Enjoy your time there and maybe sommer marry a Yankee?

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3908 on: August 16, 2019, 06:00:27 am »
Kry ek nou heimwee!!

In 2001 me and 2 mates spent a summer mostly in Kansas. We harvested a few mile from you around Johnson City, Ks. It was crazily hot but a very satisfying time.

Our base farm was just west of Cunningham, east of Pratt. On you way from Wichita you would have passed through them.

I do agree, the USA is a GREAT country! I believe if you are willing to work you will make a living.

I love the Wrangler range of clothing, sommer at Wallmart, especially their jeans. Nothing locally compares in quality of comfort. On the shoe front I like Justin, especially this model: https://www.sheplers.com/justin-mens-drywall-waterproof-pull-on-work-boots---soft-toe/050B99.html?dwvar_050B99_color=7010#start=8

If you would like to die of boredom, get struck in that silage compactor tractor - I'm sure that operator dreams in circles!

I was mostly on the trucks or in the workshop - combine or grain cart is also mind numbing for me.

I really like your pictures. It is sad that so many farm buildings just stand empty?

Enjoy your time there and maybe sommer marry a Yankee?

This was now a lekker read, thanks for the reply bud!!

Yes many farm houses abanded, and I am always thinking what stories those building could tell ....so many of them and old vehicles and farm implements just standing there.
If that was back home some scrap metal dealers would have fallen over their feet to try and get hold of it!

Luckily my boss don't do the sialage tractor contracts anymore so we do not meet to ride in circles for 12hours plus a day! :eek7:
Sialage choppers have however advanced since you guys were here. I noticed that we are harvesting at 10miles an hour plus and it is amazing how quickly you swallow 100 acers of corn!

I am just on the truck (mainly) and workshop where we fix anything on a Peterbuilt and trailer including tires and brakes. A whole new experience but I must admit not at all easy going and yes it's hot! We also any other farmwork the boss need us to do. I am getting used to short nights and long days, and in a way this remind me a lot of a demining contract in the DRC where a couple of South Africans were operating within the UN. Always weird to see how many South Africans especially Afrikaans South Africans are around in the world. You find them everywhere....over weekends in Wallmart in the USA or at the Rodeo  :lol8:

Another American friend asked me today what I miss about SA, and I said apart from my family and friends not really much...and that is scary and sad. It is not supposed to be that way, but contrary to what the media make us believe of America this just an amazing country. It is clean and safe. My room mate forgot his passport and wallet in his truck in the field the other night. To give you an idea; we don't ever remove the keys from a trucks ignition. The next day we poured cement and only the late afternoon did he get to his truck. Nothing was missing, including tools and other valuables.
Sadly there are psicos in every community and here is no different. Yes once in a while you will hear about a mass shooting or something sick, but keep in mind this is a huge country.
Kansas is very similar to the Orange free state in SA but a lot warmer. It looks very similar and all I miss wrt scenery is mountains bit one will have to travel to Colorado to see the Rocky mountains I believe. Being the 3rd longest mountain range (under correction) it should have some spectacular sightings as well.

Many South Africans here say that SA still is the most beautiful place they have seen but I think only because they did not see the rest of the States (like me) or even other places in the World. For me till this day the DRC was ja dropping beautiful, keep in mind I went all over the country with the demolition team as their medic.

All in all coming back to what I have said many times before; I can be happy anywhere because you are responsible for your own happyness. For now home is still where my family and close friends are, back in SA but I am overly impressed with the States, many great people and loyalty seems to be solid characteristics here.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3909 on: Yesterday at 07:15:18 pm »
When you work on a farm you can't be allergic to
 A: Work
 B: Cow shit
 C: Fun
 D: All the above are correct.

:3some:

:imaposer: