Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 321211 times)

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3920 on: August 19, 2019, 07:22:55 am »
Iíd caution you taking pics or vid footage, until youíre more established.

Sounds a little harsh but Iíd hate to see ya get shafted over sharing pics of their ops.

livestock farmers are gunshy after the recent video footage was released by a disgruntled worker at a mega farm. 

Iíll search for the story.

Thanks for the caution bud, rather save than sorry so I would refrain.
I will focus on taking pics of any nice sightings I may come across and the ones I did post of the trucks and so on is all okayed  :thumleft:

I also wanted to ask abpout this. You said you wouldnt be allowed to post pics of the work itself but you do? SO explain? Or are you just enjoying what you are doing and want to share?

I haven't seen anything yet to be of much concern, he has just shared power washing shit off a truck and cutting silage.

I highly doubt farm boss gives two shits about him posting what he has.

I'm afraid it won't be that way if he were to get caught shooting pics of livestock ops.

Tom, I'm just being that guy because I don't want something to happen to ruin this opportunity, an opportunity that may lead to bigger opportunities in the land of milk n honey.

I know you got this.
I understand better now, thanks Body Odor. In other words the Americans are worried that they will get sued because of some picture or video clip showing something?
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3921 on: August 19, 2019, 07:24:28 am »
And don't take/post photo's that can get you fired. You said you're not allowed to take photo's of your work place

Thanks Ri!

Yes the pics I have posted were cleared, I did check with the guys first.
The farm we are working now (providing a service to other Huge farming enterprises) is different.
Rest assure, I will take care to stay disciplined.  :thumleft:
Last night was a treat, we were given off since this week thing is apparently going to be hectic with chopping silage and also another manure contract.
Some of the guys went a bit overboard since there was a street dance and huge party but entry fee was yet another 20 dollar and avg beer price at a venue is between 3 and 5 dollars.
I was happy with the 'weird colorlous rodeo show'  :imaposer:  :laughing4: and drove back on my own with a V8 Ford auto bakkie from Dodge town to Cimarron at the ranch and figured out how to make a hot spot with my phone in order to use laptop on internet.
Had to drive to Garden City just now only to buy a plug because I did not make notes when mr Zog advised me :peepwall: and that was a costly mistake.....25 dollars later and I can charge my laptop and camera.
Glad that my 220volt laptop and camera chargers are not affected by the 110volt supply in the RV.
Also had to get special washing machine pods (soap) and water - 40 pack for 4 dollars and bananas for 50c (not bad) and a conga for my water and bread in the truck.
I got a nice one with pouches on the outside where I fit my passport, drivers licence and a note book to keep track of my loads and so on for 11 usd.

Don't you guys *read* the thread?  :deal: :laughing4:

Tom's been cautioned already :lamer:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:25:07 am by Ri »
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #3922 on: August 19, 2019, 07:39:47 am »

I understand better now, thanks Body Odor. In other words the Americans are worried that they will get sued because of some picture or video clip showing something?

You're welcome, Blue Zebu.  Well done on that Body Odor comeback, considered a career in comedy?  ::)

I wouldn't convey it your way, I'd say, "in other words, farmers are worried pics and or vid clips can be quickly taken out of context on social media by folks without any experience raising livestock and how difficult it can be to follow 100% of the rules 24/7/365, thus these online social media flareups can lead to major losses to the farm owner and all the employees affected by mostly stupidity from those that get sad at the site of hundreds of dead baby pigs each day from their mothers sitting on them and suffocating them.  Pics like that can have devastating effects on the pork industry and commodities.  Like dip shit Oprah and her stupid ass comments about beef decades ago.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:50:17 am by big oil »
Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3923 on: August 21, 2019, 12:05:29 am »
Today I did not earn a dime :-\ but I got my CDL leaners the first attempt!!  :laughing4:
Had to do cars, Commercial general knowledge and combination vehicles and air brakes.
Got 3 wrong in general (10 wrong allowed) and 100% for the other 2.
My colleague unfortunately did not pass but will try tomorrow again.
I am driving on the 3rd of September and can only hope.
It is a lot different than SA especially the pre trip.
All info on YouTube wrt cdl Kansas. Can only try.
Hope to get enough experience especially in reversing, a very short time frame and if I don't pass I can't go again this year because you need 3 months on your visa.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3924 on: August 21, 2019, 02:59:47 am »
Today I did not earn a dime :-\ but I got my CDL leaners the first attempt!!  :laughing4:
Had to do cars, Commercial general knowledge and combination vehicles and air brakes.
Hope to get enough experience especially in reversing, a very short time frame and if I don't pass I can't go again this year because you need 3 months on your visa.

Excellent Tom  :thumleft:

I'm sure that the boss and boss-lady will take note of this  :deal:

Keep the good work up and you will be guaranteed to return next year  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #3925 on: August 21, 2019, 03:04:29 am »
5'11" 190 pounds  :imaposer:  yeah right  :peepwall: :pot: :pot:
Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3926 on: August 21, 2019, 03:13:43 am »
5'11" 190 pounds  :imaposer:  yeah right  :peepwall: :pot: :pot:

I had no idea what I am in feet and pound so the lady said go measure and weigh yourself at the wall.
So I stood there and she called out ok 5.11 and then asked my weight. I said 180 lbs but she got it at 190  :imaposer:

My length in metric is 1.75m and weigh is 79kg

Yesterday I saw an eagle catching a snake in the sialage field....wow, amazing!!
Unfortunately I can't take proper camera and lens to work for sightings like these, but it was so cool to witness!! :thumleft:

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #3927 on: August 21, 2019, 06:42:14 am »

To be honest, when I saw the pic I thougt it was going to be a post about how organised the Mericans are and that they warned you of a sex offender in the area!

COngrats Tom!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #3928 on: August 21, 2019, 06:45:25 am »
Fok Tom, you share a birthday with my late father...

Offline Splash

« Reply #3929 on: August 21, 2019, 07:10:26 am »
Well done. All the best of luck for the exam.
Have bike, will ride.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3930 on: August 21, 2019, 01:38:24 pm »

Congratulations!

No worries, you'll pass that CDL fine. It's in the boss-people's interest for you to get it, I'm sure they'll let you have some practice time.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3931 on: August 22, 2019, 01:25:31 am »
Thanks all  :)

Today Zandre also made his leaners and scheduled to drive on the 5th of Sept, 2 days after me.
Lekker thing about the states is that you don't make an appointment.
You google dmv, ask maps for directions and go. Upon arrival you take a number and a seat.
Just as you take your cellphone and think of WhatsApp'ing someone the number come up :laughing4:
You say what you need, you pay your usd 16 and then you get a pin code for a touch screen computer.
You enter your pin, and up come the test. It tells you immediately the right answer, it turns green.
Any mistakes are in red and the correct answer will be in green.
So once you done, it give your score and you can either walk out and study for the next exam (like airbrakes) and then walk back, enter a pin and continue.
Then after completion you walk straight back to the counter and schedule to drive 14 days later and no extra charge!!
Test day you go to the same shop in the mall, report and one of the girls (there are only women) will come out and start evaluating you on pre trip (one hour) reverse parking which is straight line back, offset left or right and then either an alley dock at 90 degree or parallel parking.
Our trucks are huge, there is no small option like a short trailer. I will apparently get a day off again to practice reverse parking and so on.
At least I float gears now up and down, low and high range without an issue. I got quite a lot of hours behind the wheel already.

Mr Zog proposed a new thread and I agree it will be a good idea but not yet since I am not sure weather this will continue and if not it would have been a short contract. The law says that you need to have 3 months left on your H2a visa to get a licence. By the 3rd of September I'm already 2 days over (short). It happened last year to someone and they did test him bit did not issue.
It was at least good experience for him, but he did not come back.
So it all comes down to cdl. If I get it, and perform good I will most probably be invited to return next year, if not changes are 50/50. I am positive, and will so my best and see where it takes me.
There are at the end of the year many other guys with cdl trying to find a new farmer to work for, and you are much more valuable with a cdl. We already heard of some guys queuing to work here since our boss got a very good name. He is fair and look after us.

Today I got commissioned by the boss to cut grooves in all the newly laid cement slaps. We recently did another one.
I started half past 7 and was done at 12. Then came back to the workshop and serviced my truck (grease and filters) and then got my first change in replacing brake shoes on a dubble axle tractor (Horse) Not that hard, actually easy but man you need to eat pap to carry those brake drums around!!  :spitcoffee: :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3932 on: August 22, 2019, 01:31:14 am »
Fok Tom, you share a birthday with my late father...

Hein keep in mind the Americans write the day: Month/Day/Year opposed to us Day/Month/Year

So 5th April it is  :thumleft:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #3933 on: August 22, 2019, 05:36:55 am »
I then stand corrected, may the forth be with you... :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3934 on: August 22, 2019, 09:33:43 pm »
We are chopping a beutiful land today, the corn that were under pivot irrigation is much higher than the other.

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #3935 on: August 23, 2019, 04:11:44 pm »
The CDL procedure changed since 2001!

We wrote the learners the Friday and did the driving on Monday. Don't worry, it is not that hard. Way back then we did not need social security number to do a CDL in Kansas.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3936 on: August 23, 2019, 09:29:41 pm »
The CDL procedure changed since 2001!

We wrote the learners the Friday and did the driving on Monday. Don't worry, it is not that hard. Way back then we did not need social security number to do a CDL in Kansas.

Yes it did change quite a bit wrt H2a Visas, but thanks for the encouragement, i still need time to practice all the reverse parking but will get there  :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3937 on: August 27, 2019, 03:41:13 pm »
I wish I could have post and share the lovely smell of sialage!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3938 on: August 27, 2019, 06:06:42 pm »
I remember it well from Wales.  :o
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3939 on: August 27, 2019, 09:50:57 pm »
Today I only earned 70usd, our day was cut short due to the moist content. I am not sure how they test but heard they take a sample of the load and then kook it for 1 hour. Some reason it is in the steam and others that they take the weight of the sample before cooking and then after cooking. Regardless, our samples came out to moist and operations stopped for the day. We went back to home base, serviced our trucks which means refuel with green diesel (farm machines like choppers and combines etc runs on red diesel)  and we blow out our airfilters and radiators which clock up with leaves and dust and clean the windows and mirrors with windowlene and paper. We go through rolls and rolls of paper  ;D
Back at the Ranch now and tomorrow I am going to a small town called Fowlers to chop silage for 2 days. That is about 30 miles south of us.
Think there is enough work for 2 days.
Our one mate went for his his CDL today and got the pre-trip but missed the rest, lucky here you get the credits and dont need to redo everything like back home. He have another change on Thursday and I am sure he will make it. I have only one week before my finals and did not get time yet to practise revers 90 degree dock and parallel. Though I will get a change today but no truck available, so the heat is on but it is what it is - will wait for the right opperturnety :thumleft:
Cheers for now