Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 311629 times)

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4040 on: October 02, 2019, 05:55:25 am »
Can’t sleep 💤?

Eventually did sleep, and just back from a jock and feel like a million bucks! System reboot  :laughing4:

Awesome, I’m still in a concussive state and very sore though I managed a 2 mile walk this evening!
Good on both of you!
Looks like you are going to be fit as a fiddle shortly James! :thumleft:
Tom, I like the fact that you are keeping up with the youngsters, it shows that us older guys can still do it even though we take some strain. :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, big oil

Offline Mooch

« Reply #4041 on: October 02, 2019, 10:10:14 am »
Cool stuff Tom. Well done  :thumleft:  Very interesting...
If in doubt, flat out.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4042 on: October 02, 2019, 05:54:14 pm »
Another off day, it is just to wet in the field to work.
If we have sun and wind we may attempt chopping tomorrow but I doubt if we will manage.
I need to repair 2 x punctures both on my Tractor (horse) inner tracking wheels.
We have asked the TL to give us 3 hrs of service soon at the trucks in order to service and do tire repairs.

While sitting in the RV I hear sirens and look uit. Police and ambulance here in RV park.
I like the look of their ambulances, and they do not discriminate against overweight and older uniformed medics.
Got this pic

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4043 on: October 02, 2019, 06:17:13 pm »
 here in RV park.

Tom are you know trailer trash?!!! :o :lol8:
Kom huistoe maat voor jou voortande uitval!! :imaposer:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4044 on: October 02, 2019, 06:36:30 pm »
here in RV park.

Tom are you know trailer trash?!!! :o :lol8:
Kom huistoe maat voor jou voortande uitval!! :imaposer:

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Chris some of these RV parks are actually upmarket, but we could not get a stand in one of those and end up in a cheapish one with many mexican workers class and lots of children.
However; it is remarkably quiet and we do not even have a key for this beutifull usd 75 000 RV. No issues at all, people dont mess around in the USA and probably because the police do their job!

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #4045 on: October 03, 2019, 09:20:08 am »
Thanks for keeping us updated with your adventures Tom  :thumleft:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4046 on: October 04, 2019, 03:33:15 pm »
So explain to me how this works if you know?

I had a very old leatherman. In 2004 Keith Byng gave it to me after he broke the tip of the pliers in the DRC after de arming a landmine. We were obviously doing demining.

So I grinned the tips level and continue working with it since now but it was just so warm and I thought let me get to a service centre in the states and ask if they can fix.

I got to Tractor supplies in Guymon Oklahoma 2 days ago and asked but they stuck only 3 x leatherman and 3 x Gerber (the competition)
The guy said sorry we do not have that model in stock but what would you like? I said actually the Gerber because of a proper plier which I get to use almost daily and always need to go to the service van just for one.
He said no worries, you can have the Gerber.
I said but it is 67usd, should I pay in the difference?
He said no....you can have it. Went to the till, told the lady and I left with a new Gerber.

Now how does this work, since Learherman and Gerber are opposition?

However, I am very happy!!  :)

4th day off today due to rain, it means no work no pay but I am not complaining because i was hoping for rest and a reboot!!
Seems we might chop coming Monday again. That means we had a week off, to some a big loss (don't count your chicken before they hatch  :ricky: )

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #4047 on: October 04, 2019, 04:40:35 pm »
The shop owner probably gets a refund from Leatherman when he sends it back, or he gets a new Leathrman to replace the damaged one you handed in, and then he sells the new one to cover his "loss" on the one you got ftom him
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4048 on: October 04, 2019, 08:17:27 pm »
The shop owner probably gets a refund from Leatherman when he sends it back, or he gets a new Leathrman to replace the damaged one you handed in, and then he sells the new one to cover his "loss" on the one you got ftom him

That makes sense, the only explanation that can actually work I think  :thumleft:

I got a compass.....like I have said before, in the USA there is no left and right amongst the farmers but only North, South, east and west  :)
So in the evening and late afternoon it's easy but during the day I often get lost...no more!!  :laughing4:

Offline gmac

« Reply #4049 on: October 04, 2019, 08:33:49 pm »

Either way that is amazing service !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #4050 on: October 05, 2019, 02:28:46 am »
So explain to me how this works if you know?

I had a very old leatherman. In 2004 Keith Byng gave it to me after he broke the tip of the pliers in the DRC after de arming a landmine. We were obviously doing demining.

So I grinned the tips level and continue working with it since now but it was just so warm and I thought let me get to a service centre in the states and ask if they can fix.

I got to Tractor supplies in Guymon Oklahoma 2 days ago and asked but they stuck only 3 x leatherman and 3 x Gerber (the competition)
The guy said sorry we do not have that model in stock but what would you like? I said actually the Gerber because of a proper plier which I get to use almost daily and always need to go to the service van just for one.
He said no worries, you can have the Gerber.
I said but it is 67usd, should I pay in the difference?
He said no....you can have it. Went to the till, told the lady and I left with a new Gerber.

Now how does this work, since Learherman and Gerber are opposition?

However, I am very happy!!  :)

4th day off today due to rain, it means no work no pay but I am not complaining because i was hoping for rest and a reboot!!
Seems we might chop coming Monday again. That means we had a week off, to some a big loss (don't count your chicken before they hatch  :ricky: )

Welcome to America  :biggrin:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4051 on: October 05, 2019, 02:47:43 am »
I am convinced that this is the Country with the most straight roads and squire agriculture fields in the world.
Wherever I get the change to run, i run in straight lines!!  :laughing4:

I am not nearly as fit (running fit it is) than I used to be since I hardly get time to run but i have challenged myself to a 10km run and it went fairly ok  :)

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #4052 on: October 05, 2019, 09:20:49 am »
Mooi man  :laughing4:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline immigrant

TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4053 on: October 06, 2019, 03:41:54 am »
I am convinced that this is the Country with the most straight roads and squire agriculture fields in the world.

Canada is the same. Everything is surveyed in  160 acre squares, also known as a 1/4 section, which is 800m x 800m. Directions are always “go 4 miles south, and 6 miles east”. A “section” is made up of 4 x 1/4 sections. A “township” is 36 sections. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_(United_States_land_surveying)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 03:55:42 am by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4054 on: October 06, 2019, 06:26:08 am »

Canada is the same. Everything is surveyed in  160 acre squares, also known as a 1/4 section, which is 800m x 800m. Directions are always “go 4 miles south, and 6 miles east”. A “section” is made up of 4 x 1/4 sections. A “township” is 36 sections. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_(United_States_land_surveying)

Yes, we get directions the same way  :laughing4:

:thumleft:

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #4055 on: October 06, 2019, 01:19:07 pm »
Sections and quarters make it very easy to navigate.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4056 on: October 07, 2019, 12:11:58 am »

True, as well as N, E, S & W!!  :thumleft:
Every direction you'll get as 7 miles north of the current field, and 1 mile east.
All the routes (streetnames) are either A, B, C or AA and then 1S, 2S and so on.
All gravel roads are WELL maintained as well as the shoulders.

After a week of no work we finally got word to proceed with chopping tomorrow and then after this 2 fields we will move back to Syracuse Kansas to help another team chop 800 acres of Milo.

The Milo should freeze this weekend which will make many fields ready for harvesting but we only do silage

If the silage stops smoke we expect we should ride manure again in another town in Kansas for the remainder of the time or so it seems for now.

We may be through all the work by the 16th of Nov and if that is the case I'll keep my ticket for the set flying date of 27 and 28 Nov and buy another return to Orlando to visit the Zogs but for now it remain a dream. If that happens I'll go visit the Kenedy Space station!!

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #4057 on: October 07, 2019, 10:09:44 am »

Every direction you'll get as 7 miles north of the current field, and 1 mile east.
All the routes (streetnames) are either A, B, C or AA and then 1S, 2S and so on.

... now where's the fun in that  ::)

Glad you had a good rest, Tom, and I'll hold all thumbs and fingers you get to visit the Zogs.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #4058 on: October 07, 2019, 10:26:32 pm »

After a week of no work we finally got word to proceed with chopping tomorrow and then after this 2 fields we will move back to Syracuse Kansas to help another team chop 800 acres of Milo.

The Milo should freeze this weekend which will make many fields ready for harvesting but we only do silage

If the silage stops smoke we expect we should ride manure again in another town in Kansas for the remainder of the time or so it seems for now.

We may be through all the work by the 16th of Nov and if that is the case I'll keep my ticket for the set flying date of 27 and 28 Nov and buy another return to Orlando to visit the Zogs but for now it remain a dream. If that happens I'll go visit the Kenedy Space station!!
Would the feedlot/manure job perhaps be south of Sylvia?

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #4059 on: October 07, 2019, 10:29:32 pm »
Oh, and if you ask around Syracuse if they know Floyd farms...that is where we did quite a lot of custom cutting in 2001.

And the son that was up for murder - ma Betzen asked me very nice not to bliksem him the one day. Perhaps a goeie pakslae would have helped the young may straighten his ways?