Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 319978 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4080 on: October 11, 2019, 12:39:03 am »
It is very cold, but not as cold as Nort Dakota!!

My son Chris in the front - he is an qualified millwright and also farming here fixing grain elevators and anything electrical on the farms....even combines.

I am a blessed and proud dad. My late dad which we never met did the same work in America.
My daughter is also in agriculture, despite severe asthma and ailments she take care of her mom and is a pillar to many.
She works for Multiplant in Brits NW. Seedlings etc to Commercial farmers.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:41:40 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4081 on: October 11, 2019, 12:39:52 am »
Herewith the pic

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4082 on: October 11, 2019, 03:24:58 am »
It's cold, and tonight the milo will start freezing.
So the client wants this one field chopped and in the pit before that happens, so we are now on 14H30 day and counting!!  :ricky:

Pok people, everything looks different in the night!! :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4083 on: October 11, 2019, 03:27:25 am »
Once again give it to the Americans, they will ask you to burn the midnight oil bit they will provide all the means like proper flood lights + :thumleft:

At least Health and safety has (not yet  :peepwall: ) crippled the agriculture sector  ;)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4084 on: October 11, 2019, 07:55:59 am »
We stopped @ 11H45, 17 hours and the 2 x  fields are chopped and in the pit.
Client happy   :3some:
None of us were in a mood for making supper, but Sonic, Subway, Macsonalds and all takeaway outlets we know of closed
So Wallmart it is, each bought a whole fried chicken (think it's about 5 usd) and a potato salad at 3usd. Bargain since its the same price as a double burger and fries.

We were supposed to move to Syracuse Kansas but got another client to chop a field of corn. Need to start at 8am and most of the guys still need to service and fuel. I am done and just need to grease my trucks release bearing on the gearbox and the steering linkage.

Th Rv is cold, next time in Wallmart I need to buy a proper blanket. This is our current temp in degree celcius,  I struggle with farenheit but doing ok with miles, acre, and so on  :lol8:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:56:35 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #4085 on: October 11, 2019, 10:17:33 am »
I would've known that's your son without you pointing it out - another polar bear, sitting in the snow in short sleeves and a short jean pant :spitcoffee:

Your children do you proud :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 08:13:26 am by Ri »
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4086 on: October 11, 2019, 11:13:52 pm »
I completely forgot what happens in sub zero temp when you clean the windshield of your vehicle. :lol8:

Sprayed my trucks windshield with window cleaner and it immediately formed a white ice layer! Worse was my freezing hands, like when you ride on your bike in the winter through the Orange freestate  :3some: but my trucks warm exhaust took care of that and my mx style gloves.

We have moved to another field in Guymon and chopping corn when we once again saw some deer in the cornfield. Quite a lot of wildlife, many deer, coyotes, squirrel , American badger and more in this area. I just love animals, and even plays with the farmers dogs in the field  ;D

Now an open pit or more like a stag on the farm, a very beautiful farm with horses and cattle. Very neat and organized and good to see the 3 generations actively farming together.

It would have been nice to have an adventure or light ds bike here and some off time once in a while to explore but I'll get my riding maybe in the Karoo once back in SA  :thumleft:

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4087 on: October 12, 2019, 12:07:14 pm »
0F is roughly -18C  :sip: :sip:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4088 on: October 12, 2019, 10:48:24 pm »
My son in Minot North Dacota. They still have a lot to harvest in the state.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4089 on: October 12, 2019, 10:53:37 pm »
We have left Guymon Oklahoma and arrived at Syracuse Kansas.

Quite a bit of milo to chop here for the dairy. May keep us busy for close to a week.
We are going to 'open' the 2 fields now for most sampling and should chop Monday.  :)

Huge diesel locos and the shipping containers are stacked.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #4090 on: October 13, 2019, 12:50:06 pm »
Now your son also knows what your island experience was like 8)

Does he have any plan to maybe follow in your footsteps and apply for expeditions to SANAE, Marion and Gough?
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4091 on: October 13, 2019, 12:52:48 pm »
Nou hier is Tom se seun se Brakpan foto

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #4092 on: October 13, 2019, 12:53:55 pm »
 :laughing4:

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #4093 on: October 13, 2019, 02:23:15 pm »

Ja... en mens kan sien dit is m@er koud... die laaitie dra twee kortbroeke  :biggrin:
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4094 on: October 14, 2019, 04:30:42 am »

Ja... en mens kan sien dit is m@er koud... die laaitie dra twee kortbroeke  :biggrin:

:spitcoffee:   :imaposer: Boys will be boys

Baas Kobus do you remember when we swam at Marion Island in 5degree Celcius ocean and you pulled us back into the personnel carrier?  :lol8:

Boredom can be dangerous,   :lol8:

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #4095 on: October 14, 2019, 07:26:41 am »
 :laughing4:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4096 on: October 15, 2019, 01:00:03 pm »
Just received and email. I was not selected as for an bait loader on the Gough island mouse eradication program for next year  :'(
It would have been a 4 to 6 month contract.
I assume age was the main issue.....apparetly they got over 150 applications.
It is what it is.

Will see what's next after the States. Got to get this out of my mind now and make a mindeshift and move on.
At least good to hear the eradication program is on tract. :thumleft:
Cheers  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4097 on: October 15, 2019, 02:10:13 pm »
I deliberately kept this thread open under the current heading in the hope to revive and update if/when I return to the island during the mouse eradication.
Will keep it open till end of silage season which is 28 Nov when i should land in SA.
After that, if i get another working adventure or if I think it's cool to share a current experience I will start another thread in the appropriate section which I think is international travels.

I still get some regular enquiries about farming and trucking in the USA.
I can't help any more in a pm as to what I put down here, if you are interested Google "golden Opportunities - H2A visa work USA and proceed to apply through Celia van Heerden.
I need to start all over after this contract as well and age is now counting against me. Maybe my boss will call me back next year March or April for the new season but I don't count on that.
Silage is very hard physical work and long hours. I have and still is coping all the way and even getting better now. Body got used to min sleep and the lifestyle.

I would better suit at a trucking company just hauling loads (commercial trucking) and they are always looking for Cdl drivers but.....they do not do H2A (or I think B) visas. Think it is too much admin...don't know. So no idea if there is a way to come in other than farming.

Last option is to go back to Africa as a field (operational) medic since I have been  made aware of a possible opportunity through Wd's and once back I will apply as well.

Anyway, living for the moment and so much hoping to visit Mr and Mrs Z in Florida my last week in Nov. That will be the highlight of the trip!!
I miss them, seen them a few years back as we all went on a long breakfast run on the bikes. Poks its years back, i still had my Triumph XC800.
Anyway, I'll keep you guys and girls updated.

Thanks for your friendship, means a Lot to me  :thumleft:

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #4098 on: October 15, 2019, 02:33:55 pm »
Thanks for keeping us updated Tom, I really enjoy your post and to see what you are up to  :thumleft:

All of the best and keep it coming
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1982 Honda XL 600R

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4099 on: October 15, 2019, 03:16:36 pm »
Thanks for keeping us updated Tom, I really enjoy your post and to see what you are up to  :thumleft:

All of the best and keep it coming

Thanks  :thumleft: