Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 322026 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4120 on: October 20, 2019, 02:03:02 am »
Enjoy the cold TVB, I was in Ellisras this week, the Bushveld is incredibly dry and it will be over 40C in the shade all next week. :peepwall:

Sounds almost like Florida.  :ricky:

Just add 90% humidity  :eek7:  :imaposer:

I can't really complain right now. Temps are down to around 27 today, and quite pleasant
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4121 on: October 21, 2019, 12:40:12 am »
The battery on the Jon boat is charging. The fuel tank for the outboard is full. Your bed is ready...  :thumleft:

Give me at least a day or two heads up and then you arrive boet.  :thumleft:

As much as I'd love to go fishing already, I know you need some more paychecks. That's ok. I'm patiently waiting for my fishing buddy  :biggrin:

I'm requesting more notice than a day or two, please. 

I need at least 4-5 if possible, so I can arrange a shipment to Zogs.

@big oil you OFFICIALLY have 21 days notice  :deal:

:sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4122 on: October 21, 2019, 12:45:21 am »
It's OFFICIAL  :deal:

Tom phoned me last night. His contract ends on the 10th November, he will be flying out to visit us on the 11th, and return to Wichita, Kansas on the 26th to get his flight back to SA on the 27th.

I am super stoked that he is coming, it will be fantastic to see my old buddy again, and show him all that I have discovered down here in Florida.  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

And of course we will have to go fishing too...  :lol8:  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4123 on: October 21, 2019, 04:30:36 am »
It's OFFICIAL  :deal:

Tom phoned me last night. His contract ends on the 10th November, he will be flying out to visit us on the 11th, and return to Wichita, Kansas on the 26th to get his flight back to SA on the 27th.

I am super stoked that he is coming, it will be fantastic to see my old buddy again, and show him all that I have discovered down here in Florida.  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

And of course we will have to go fishing too...  :lol8:  :thumleft:

Yes I am over the moon, our boss took us to his restaurant at his motel in Cimarron and treated us to a beer and supper.
We were supposed to be off on Sunday, the first off day in a while bit he said sorry guys, you all need to get your trucks ready to leave for Kansas Minneapolis at noon to do the last 4 day chopping for the season and then Ton can stay behind and do harvesting for his son with the other who are already here and the truck owners can return to Kansas Syracuse to haul manure.
He then told me I am welcome to return next year March if I want and also asked me when would I prefer to leave; 24th (coming Thursday) or 11 Nov. I then said 11th please but I'll keep my ticket for SA on 27th from Wichita to Atlanta to SA (land 28th) but I want to visit my friend in Florida. So now I just need to find time to book that ticket!!

Can't wait to see Gary and his wife, very very excited!!  :blob10: :blob5: :blob6:

Not sure if I will come back, but nice to have the option. In all honesty like I have said before; this is a job best suited for the young and strong and I'll be completely honest. In my day like in the emergency services I have outperformed some youngsters but not here though. There selection is excellent and sometimes they do kick someone out like last night when the boss told one of the guys; "we are done you can go ahead and book your flight  :o. )  Honestly,  I did not feel sorry for the guy because he was behaving very weird, arrogant and even sometimes with aggresion.

So yes, life goes on and I just need to find time very soon to book that return flight to the Zog home!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:34:08 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4124 on: October 21, 2019, 08:02:42 am »
I TOLD you that the boss will be happy with you. I know how hard and dedicated you are when you have a job to do.
Well done and enjoy the last couple of days earning some $.

Just keep one thing in your mind.

Never TRUST these people that promise you a contract somewhere in Africa or Irak or wherever. You have seen how quickly they turn on you causing you to loose out on another contract that you were already approved for.
Don't let that happen again.
This job is hard on you, but a least it is a job that was offered to you and you can be sure that you have  a job for another season.
This extra time in the USA next year can give you some more time to find that perfect job for the future.
Forget about Africa and the war zones....that time is over for you.. move on my friend.  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Xpat

« Reply #4125 on: October 21, 2019, 08:20:24 am »
I TOLD you that the boss will be happy with you. I know how hard and dedicated you are when you have a job to do.
Well done and enjoy the last couple of days earning some $.

Just keep one thing in your mind.

Never TRUST these people that promise you a contract somewhere in Africa or Irak or wherever. You have seen how quickly they turn on you causing you to loose out on another contract that you were already approved for.
Don't let that happen again.
This job is hard on you, but a least it is a job that was offered to you and you can be sure that you have  a job for another season.
This extra time in the USA next year can give you some more time to find that perfect job for the future.
Forget about Africa and the war zones....that time is over for you.. move on my friend.  :thumleft:

+1

And I would add (and I know many people will disagree - especially in the context of this thread) - forget Gough or Marion or Antarctica (unless they give you decently paid permanent job in SANAE or whatever is that org called, not just temporary contract). Those are complete traps (and badly underpaid for what they are - being sent to basicaly solitary confinement - or worse Big Brother show - for long periods of time) as they in essence eliminate any possibility to get any other opportunities and build any meaningfull social network that is essential for finding those opportunities (and for quality life in general).

I know the work was hard in US, but I agree with woody that in the absence of good opportunity in SA, I would rather take another year of hard slog in US as your employer clearly appreciates the work you did and might help you to find more suitable job that side.

P.S. And for heaven't sake, take proper break once back in SA - good long bike trip, or go for run from Durban to Joburg, or Drakensberg traverse or whatever you really want to do. And having security of the job in US, will give you the peace of mind to do that, rather than worry yourself sick about what you are going to do next.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:25:59 am by Xpat »

The following users thanked this post: woody1, Oubones, big oil

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #4126 on: October 21, 2019, 03:59:48 pm »
Remember when I stated a few months ago something to the effect to care for Farmer Johns tools, trucks, and equipment and be dedicated after a long day in the saddle. You thought thereís no way this multi gazillionaire farmer will give two shits about you or care about your work ethic.  Farmer John noticed, Tom!

Imo, youíre receiving top notch advice from Woody and Martin, thereís opportunity on both sides of the road and in the middle my friend, we are experiencing an economic boom unprecedented in my lifetime.  There are so many jobs and not enough qualified or Americans too lazy to work, so these vacant positions go unfilled.

Get your ass back here next year, keep smiling, keep shaking hands, network, everything should fall in place.
Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

The following users thanked this post: woody1, Tom van Brits, Oubones

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4127 on: October 21, 2019, 07:41:19 pm »
Thanks so much for the sound advice baas Kobus, Martin and Big Oil, really appreciated!!  :thumleft:

I was worrying myself sick and felt useless to a point, even after losing a lot of money spent in the "? Iraq contract" which backfired...that was not pleasant.

Since running a lot less because there simply is no time to do so in the states and picking up a bot of weight I feel much stronger physically and am now able to do jobs which I needed some help like changing a truck tyre. The day before yesterday I removed 2, manually (because that is the way we do it here) removed the tyres from rims and replaced. After inflating I found another puncture and had to redo this. This exercise was successful and I did not need a cateflam the night when I jumped in the bed after a long day work plus wrestling with the tyres.

Seems there is a thin line; I love running and will continue but I need to maintain a bit more weight to maintain in this physical work environment.

I am happy that I can now say I gave 'made' it in silage in the states, and i am still wowed by how things operates over here.

This morning g i stopped to pump a wheel at a small service station at Kansas Beloit. No big name franchise.
It's very cold and I asked the lady if they have black coffee, and how much it cost to pay up. She pointed me in the direction of the coffee and said help yourself and leave a donation on the table....that's it. So I did leave the normal going rate of 1dollar 50 and on my way out she asked Canadian? I said no Mam, South African and the language accent is related to Dutch. She and her boss happen to love us working here on the farms. Good honest friendly local people.

I was under a lot of pressure for a while this morning in a sorgum field but managed to buy my flight ticket from Wichita to Orlando to visit Gary. It worked out to be 538usd and I still need to pay 30usd both ways for check in luggage but I am happy. It is booked and I sent Gary a screen shot of the ticket!!  :thumleft:  :laughing4:

I almost need to load and need too go in now but just had to share this!

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4128 on: October 21, 2019, 08:03:29 pm »
 :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #4129 on: October 21, 2019, 09:07:14 pm »
Since running a lot less because there simply is no time to do so in the states and picking up a bot of weight

Hahaha, just wait til you get down here to us in 3 weeks time... I will feed you so well!  :biggrin: :thumleft:
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4130 on: October 21, 2019, 09:53:40 pm »
Since running a lot less because there simply is no time to do so in the states and picking up a bot of weight

Hahaha, just wait til you get down here to us in 3 weeks time... I will feed you so well!  :biggrin: :thumleft:

:laughing4: Good times, I will contribute - looking so much forward!!

Chopping is going well, not without some challenges since we do hit metal on these fields often with the direct disc and we need to dive head first into that header and feeder table to unplug.

Currently on the second last field they say, then harvesting corn and sorghum.

Look at the price of fuel for half a tank, glad it doesn't come of my budget  :lol8:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4131 on: October 22, 2019, 06:44:06 am »
The fuel price looks good though :peepwall:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #4132 on: October 22, 2019, 09:44:50 pm »
Deeeeezel is currently priced at $2.99 gal in my neck of the woods
Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4133 on: October 22, 2019, 10:17:04 pm »

Yes and then we get the red died diesel which is only for farm machinery and not taxed.
When a policeman pull us over they inspect the color in the truck, need to be green low sulfur road diesel.
Good tax break for the farmers!

Chopping in Kansas Beloit, so beutiful here compared to Oklahoma panhandle and Cimarron which is flat with no flowing rivers.
Chopping next to a creek, beautiful treeline and not as flat, almost like rolling hills.
We are chopping sorgum and got some more work in the area.  :thumleft:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:41:52 pm by Tom van Brits »

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4134 on: October 23, 2019, 11:55:20 am »
Tom do you always drive to the right of the chopper? Guess best view for truck driver to chopper.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4135 on: October 23, 2019, 01:38:16 pm »
Tom do you always drive to the right of the chopper? Guess best view for truck driver to chopper.

Chris the left side is the 'blind side's for the truck driver, in other words you can't see the header and since you sit on the left in the truck it is much more difficult to keep precise spacing.

So when we open up a field you drive directly behind the chopper and during normal chopping to the right and with cort 3 rows out. With Milo and Sorgum a car worth out and then you alter your speed.

Depending on the wind he will either start to load you from the rear which means you are the length of the truck ahead of the header which is over 50 feet and then you need to look at the spout in your mirror and gradually fall back as you fill up and if you loading from the front visa versa.

Some chopper operators have short fuses and then it will be a bit of "closer, not so close!! Come back!! Look at my spout!!  :peepwall:.....we all started off like that but I am loading fairly ok now already  :)

19 sleeps before I go to Wichita and board my flight to the Zogs!!  :laughing4:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4136 on: October 23, 2019, 01:54:24 pm »

Yes and then we get the red died diesel which is only for farm machinery and not taxed.
When a policeman pull us over they inspect the color in the truck, need to be green low sulfur road diesel.
Good tax break for the farmers!

Chopping in Kansas Beloit, so beutiful here compared to Oklahoma panhandle and Cimarron which is flat with no flowing rivers.
Chopping next to a creek, beautiful treeline and not as flat, almost like rolling hills.
We are chopping sorgum and got some more work in the area.  :thumleft:

UK had the Red Agricultural Diesel, and same spot checks, don't think you can do a tank of red then a green, that red hangs around in your filters and system forever. 8)
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4137 on: October 24, 2019, 11:20:35 pm »
Our last day of chopping silage, in this case sorgum was not without some challenges like a blocked spout at some stage but we have overcome and finished the season!!

Pok, now I am a "Muskruier" (English someone? )
Hauling manure for my boss son which will pay us working for him for the last stretch of the season.
I got 18 sleeps left and am so tired at night that I just shower, eat the fastest thing I can manage to make in the micro and hot the snack with the intention of reading another chapter of my Clive Cussler book but I never make it through 1 page and that bookmark stay put  :lol8:

Anyway, the only difficult thing about manure is to operate the CAT loader. I have a couple hours now in a si.ilar mache which I learned to operate in Cimarron but the boss was standing watching me... pok  :patch: talk about pressure. I manage to load my truck without damaging anything and can only get better with time. :lol8: :3some:

The mechanic helped me fixing a bolt on myvtrailer, I have removed and fitted 3 x double sets of wheels today....pok my back muscles are not happy and it was in cool westjer; 37 degree farenheit and a breeze  ;D

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4138 on: October 25, 2019, 02:29:17 am »
Yup, 18 more sleeps then you can come rest up properly.

Except for fishing. Some mornings we will get up early to go fishing :deal:  :imaposer:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4139 on: October 25, 2019, 04:00:23 am »
Yup, 18 more sleeps then you can come rest up properly.

Except for fishing. Some mornings we will get up early to go fishing :deal:  :imaposer:

That I can do!!   :laughing4: :thumleft: