Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 314224 times)

LRFan and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4200 on: November 06, 2019, 07:09:52 am »
Lekker.  Well done  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4201 on: November 06, 2019, 08:59:11 pm »
Just amazing to see the enormous quantity of grain that comes of these fields.
We are hauling loads back to back and I am in a very uncomfortable situation right now.......a flat tire on my drive axle but it will just take too long to do a proper patch because its once again like always  :patch: the inside tire. So I have plugged it, plugged it again.....pull the tractor on a block to get that tire back on the bead and haven't (touch wood) missed a load. Pok i hate flats  :deal: :dousing:

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #4202 on: November 06, 2019, 11:10:55 pm »
Just caught up! Awesome journey Tom!  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:15:07 am by silvrav »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4203 on: November 07, 2019, 12:01:51 am »
Just caught up! Aaesome journey Tom!  :thumleft:

Thanks bud

The Kenworth is like I've said one hell of a truck- I just love it but then it developed a knock.
Enough oil, no obvious problems but it knocks and hard....it shakes. Pulled over and killed the big old CAT.
Boss came with his Dodge Ram and pull up in front of me. Hooked a chain and said you take the Sodge and remember to turn wide....Very wide.
Yes sir!! So we pulled the 30 000 lbs rig back home and now a mechanic will fix her probably in the down season.
I am now on a much smaller truck, international with a much shorter hopper.

5 sleeps  :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4204 on: November 07, 2019, 12:15:21 am »
 :)

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #4205 on: November 07, 2019, 12:16:26 am »
Just caught up! Aaesome journey Tom!  :thumleft:

Thanks bud

The Kenworth is like I've said one hell of a truck- I just love it but then it developed a knock.
Enough oil, no obvious problems but it knocks and hard....it shakes. Pulled over and killed the big old CAT.
Boss came with his Dodge Ram and pull up in front of me. Hooked a chain and said you take the Sodge and remember to turn wide....Very wide.
Yes sir!! So we pulled the 30 000 lbs rig back home and now a mechanic will fix her probably in the down season.
I am now on a much smaller truck, international with a much shorter hopper.

5 sleeps  :)

There are some big harvesters over here, mostly John deer but have spotted a Fendt or two. Next time I drive through Bulls (small little town here but big on farming) I'll grab some pics

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #4206 on: November 07, 2019, 05:18:44 am »
:)

This is a great photo. It has a National Geographic feel to it.  :thumleft:
For the love of it.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4207 on: November 07, 2019, 10:15:14 am »
Tom are you harvesting corn on centre pivots or open field rain watered corn?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4208 on: November 07, 2019, 04:43:25 pm »
Tom are you harvesting corn on centre pivots or open field rain watered corn?

Chris all the harvesting of corn, milo, sunflower and beans in Minneapolis Kansas is dryland with the exception of one corn field. They have good climate and rainfall here for grain.

In the Western and Southwestern KS all on pivots, especially the corn and sorgum marked for sialage.
The feedlots near rivers and creeks are not allowed to use silage because it bleeds moist wich is a concentration and potentially harmful to other fauna and flora...

As we speak I am delivering to Ottawa feedlot corn for their black Angus cattle.

Offline windswept

« Reply #4209 on: November 07, 2019, 11:13:27 pm »
We are hauling loads back to back and I am in a very uncomfortable situation right now.......a flat tire on my drive axle but it will just take too long to do a proper patch because its once again like always  :patch: the inside tire. So I have plugged it, plugged it again.....pull the tractor on a block to get that tire back on the bead and haven't (touch wood) missed a load. Pok i hate flats  :deal: :dousing:

Tom, you say you plugged the tyre. Are the tyres tubeless or tubed? Not sure what you meant there.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4210 on: November 08, 2019, 05:29:17 am »

Tom, you say you plugged the tyre. Are the tyres tubeless or tubed? Not sure what you meant there.

Yes tubeless, and the plug is always just temporary to get you through the day not to loose any loads because that reflects bad on your performance.

So how you properly fix the tyre:

Take (in the field or next to workshop) a 25ton bottle jack and lift wheels only just from ground.
Take impact wrench and loosen all the lug nuts.
Take 2 tyre levers and maneuver wheel off the truck by lifting and working it back out.
90 present of time it is the inside wheel....I kid you not.
Remove valve and let all air out.
Stand on tyre and break bead with hammer or a heavy pole.
Turn wheel around and repeat.
Spray soap on the edge and use 3 x tyre levers to remove tyre outer and then inner ring and put aside.
Look where your mark is and get the correct patch and mark.
Grine the area that need to be patched on the inside smooth, and this is key to do it right.
Apply sement only on inside of tyre and wait to dry....about 2 minutes
Remove plastic from patch, apply and then use the toothed wheel to roll and press firmly into place for about 1 minute.
Put tyre on rim and jump it back in by landing on your knees on the tyre and then use the levers to do the other top edge.
Inflate to 90psi and check.....refit and make sure valves of both tyres are 180degrees away from each other.
Ok when you inflate use a cheetah to get tyre back on bead but I have another 'Rolling trick'
Refit correctly, use impact wrench to torque.
Sometimes you can have upto 4 tyres ro attend to since it easily accumulates in hectic times especially when doing silage and then you need to do it after 21H00 or before work which I'll never do again.
I once struggled and came a tad late missing a load due to 2 x puncture fixes and got a good 'uitkak'.
The most unpleasant thing of our work is anything tyres.  :3some:

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #4211 on: November 08, 2019, 07:22:04 am »
This sounds like incredibly hard work... and not much of a work/life balance?

Offline windswept

« Reply #4212 on: November 08, 2019, 09:08:33 am »

Yes tubeless, and the plug is always just temporary to get you through the day not to loose any loads because that reflects bad on your performance.

So how you properly fix the tyre:

Take (in the field or next to workshop) a 25ton bottle jack and lift wheels only just from ground.
Take impact wrench and loosen all the lug nuts.
Take 2 tyre levers and maneuver wheel off the truck by lifting and working it back out.
90 present of time it is the inside wheel....I kid you not.
Remove valve and let all air out.
Stand on tyre and break bead with hammer or a heavy pole.
Turn wheel around and repeat.
Spray soap on the edge and use 3 x tyre levers to remove tyre outer and then inner ring and put aside.
Look where your mark is and get the correct patch and mark.
Grine the area that need to be patched on the inside smooth, and this is key to do it right.
Apply sement only on inside of tyre and wait to dry....about 2 minutes
Remove plastic from patch, apply and then use the toothed wheel to roll and press firmly into place for about 1 minute.
Put tyre on rim and jump it back in by landing on your knees on the tyre and then use the levers to do the other top edge.
Inflate to 90psi and check.....refit and make sure valves of both tyres are 180degrees away from each other.
Ok when you inflate use a cheetah to get tyre back on bead but I have another 'Rolling trick'
Refit correctly, use impact wrench to torque.
Sometimes you can have upto 4 tyres ro attend to since it easily accumulates in hectic times especially when doing silage and then you need to do it after 21H00 or before work which I'll never do again.
I once struggled and came a tad late missing a load due to 2 x puncture fixes and got a good 'uitkak'.
The most unpleasant thing of our work is anything tyres.  :3some:

Okay, now I understand. Back in the '80s, when I was driving, the wheels were split rim with tubes, not tubeless. I have changed the inner wheels in the middle of the karoo in mid-summer, so know the effort involved, with manual wheel spanner and long extension. I don't think my back would handle that work now. Keep on trucking. :thumleft:

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4213 on: November 08, 2019, 10:06:03 am »
 not to loose any loads because that reflects bad on your performance.

All your boss has to do is have enough spare wheels handy and during the day drop off all the flat ones at a tyre shop..............................................suinige donner!! >:(
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline windswept

« Reply #4214 on: November 08, 2019, 10:54:00 am »

All your boss has to do is have enough spare wheels handy and during the day drop off all the flat ones at a tyre shop..............................................suinige donner!! >:(

That makes sense. With time to finish the jobs so critical you would think that would be normal.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4215 on: November 08, 2019, 04:44:49 pm »

That makes sense. With time to finish the jobs so critical you would think that would be normal.

I have made the suggestion once and only got an unfriendly stare.  :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4216 on: November 09, 2019, 01:23:23 am »
The last corn is off the field, now sunflower!  :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4217 on: November 09, 2019, 07:58:11 pm »
2 sleeps, looking so much fw to Florida Zog home visit!!  :laughing4:

But we still have some work to do, another patch of corn :)

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4218 on: November 09, 2019, 10:25:14 pm »
Tom is the combine drivers also a bunch of Saffers on contract?
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4219 on: November 09, 2019, 11:48:37 pm »
Tom is the combine drivers also a bunch of Saffers on contract?

Yes Chris, and the bosses one son also operates a combine.
A silage chopper is much more technical to opperate since the spout needs to be moved constantly as well as the flipper....one really need to have good coordination. All South Africans, and they happen to be our team leaders as well and then we have a foreman, also South African.