Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 320406 times)

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4220 on: November 10, 2019, 11:24:06 am »
Tom is the combine drivers also a bunch of Saffers on contract?

Yes Chris, and the bosses one son also operates a combine.
A silage chopper is much more technical to opperate since the spout needs to be moved constantly as well as the flipper....one really need to have good coordination. All South Africans, and they happen to be our team leaders as well and then we have a foreman, also South African.
So eintlik praat jy meer afrikaans as ingels daai kant!! :thumleft: ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4221 on: November 10, 2019, 04:21:16 pm »
Tom is the combine drivers also a bunch of Saffers on contract?

Yes Chris, and the bosses one son also operates a combine.
A silage chopper is much more technical to opperate since the spout needs to be moved constantly as well as the flipper....one really need to have good coordination. All South Africans, and they happen to be our team leaders as well and then we have a foreman, also South African.
So eintlik praat jy meer afrikaans as ingels daai kant!! :thumleft: ;)

Only when we are all Afrikaans people together Chris, or one on one but at work on the 2 way radios mostly English since the boss has got a radio and many times the client we are chopping for like the feedlots nutritional manager will be on the field in the chopper or at the silage pit taking samples and doing quality assurance.
Language never came easy and the funniest thing that happen wrt language was when a Afrikaans oke told me years back; "buddy your Afrikaans is not bad but you are welcome to switch to English if you like"  :imaposer:
In my defense; I contracted cerebral malaria in the Congo and my speech sentrum was affected and still is to some extent but I'm fine  :lol8:

I have completed my work at out farmer, yesterday was my last working day.
He gave me off today since the elevators are closed and I reminded him that this means we are done on the phone and thanked him for the work.
He said all good  :thumleft:

So tomorrow a road trip to Wichita and then flight to Atlanta connecting to Orlando where Mr Zog will pick me up!
I am so excited and looking so much forward to the 2 week visit!
Ince back in SA I'll start looking for as job. I am welcome to return to our farmer but only if he needs me and then only towards the end of March or middle April.
Cant sit around and wait for a call, so I have made my position known to him and all good.
Will update my CV while at the Zogs and start circulating again  :)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 04:23:15 pm by Tom van Brits »

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #4222 on: November 10, 2019, 05:41:46 pm »
I wish I could spy on you and Mr Zog. I have a feeling it is going to be joyous! Like to small boys seeing one another again after a long school holiday or somehting

Enjoy!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #4223 on: November 10, 2019, 05:42:44 pm »
No opportunity for hands in Zogville?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4224 on: November 11, 2019, 12:30:26 am »
No opportunity for hands in Zogville?

We will look into it but the working visas are limited and a mission for many companies so they dont go through the trouble.
H2A Visas for farming is apparently easier to come by, but in transport it's a different story.
That wouldn't stop us from trying though!  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4225 on: November 14, 2019, 04:30:35 am »
I can always get married to Maggie and get a green card  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 04:31:12 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4226 on: November 14, 2019, 07:28:45 am »
If you can catch a squirrel then she might consider :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4227 on: November 14, 2019, 06:26:12 pm »
If you can catch a squirrel then she might consider :laughing4:

:spitcoffee: She is everyday on squirrel watch, there are many in the Zog's yard.

Yesterday I went to my favorite American shop. There was not one in our areas of work in Kansas and Oklahoma but this one is dangerously close to house Z.  :deal:

I got some special weighted floats for one of my Wd friends and the lures for myself as well as the splitring pliers.

Yes and that alligator is huge, only looks tiny in picture and there are a couple in a pond right at the shops entrance.
Wild pigs on the other side.
This shop is just awesomeness but I better stay away now.....for a day or 2  :peepwall:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4228 on: November 14, 2019, 08:09:06 pm »
I think you need to have a waffel again. Get some bacon with this time

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4229 on: November 14, 2019, 09:58:24 pm »
I think you need to have a waffel again. Get some bacon with this time

:laughing4: :laughing4:

Baas Kobus I'm lactose intolerant but my biggest treat is a waffle with lots of maple syrup  :drif:
We are going to a museum tomorrow, and probably a visit at the waffle house as well!!  :laughing4:

The weather is a bit miserable today, so I am using my time browsing the internet in-between job seeking - taking to agents and so on.
Unfortunately it seems that most truck driver positions are only for residents - green cart to the least and to get a sponsor is the challenge.
Every single company wants a USA Residential record of 3 years, Class A CDL experience of 3 years and some added endorsements - some you can only obtain as a green card resident or citizen.
In the end I may only have anpther go with an H2A visa at farming next year towards end of March - Middle April.

I have made co tact with the SA agents as well and they know I am available - so for now I'll move my focus to other work, even back in SA as well.
It is what it is and I am still fortunate to be healthy and fit - something will come up I'm confident  :laughing4: :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4230 on: November 18, 2019, 05:30:53 pm »
I have been at Kennedy space station yesterday, and ticked off the no 1 "places to visit" off my bucketlist
Never thought that would realise and then it happened!!
The most amazing thing was to see the Atlatis space shuttle......I was stunned by the sight, the sheer size. Goose flesh all over and humbled....wow!!

This morning I just had to go for a run, since I've gained quite a bit of weight because of my diet on the agriculture contract.
Will hopefully get back into shape soon!!

Now foing back to work on my CV.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4231 on: November 29, 2019, 04:53:09 pm »
Hello Wd's

So I had a good 2 weeks with the Zogs in Florida and it was a good experience to see the difference between agricultural Kansas, Oklahoma and Northern Texas.
The farms and farming was a good experience, albeit very hard physical work and long hours but that makes the American farmers very efficient.
Ok bear in mind I do not have big farm experience in SA and I am therefore not comparing but just stating that the Americans farm 'fast'.

As the harvester pull out the tractor and air drill pulls in and they plant immediately. No plowing since they find that that affects the soil and moist. 2 weeks later and you have a green field!

Like said, I have learned a lot and I was asked to return bearing in mind everything settled and continue next year March.
I dont want to sit around and get caught with my pants on the ankles so I am looking for work, anything...please let me know. My line is remote site house keeping, housekeeping manager (tented camps) as well as maintenance like general plumbing, arc welding and timber....basically handyman. I can also do remote site ils medic, registered with acls as well as operational medic.
I have got code 11 (Ec1 with pdp) in SA and class A CDL (code 14 America license)

So after my time in the states I have learned once again that no matter how nice, safe and clean another country is, there is still no place like home. Our country is in my heartbeat, i love Africa and SA dearly and this is home...its my first love and i do not have any urge to leave permanently. However, i am very impressed with America and her great people and achievements. There is no place on earth, and nothing that has ever left me speechless and goose flesh all over the body like the Kennedy space sentrum. That was the best and most awesome experience ever and come highly recommended. Worth every cent, a bargain infect!

Universal studios was great, but it would have been better to share the experience with someone else and it took me days to recover from that rides....had a bit of vertigo but ok now  :imaposer:

Airboat rides....very education and a truly amazing experience as well.

All in all, I work hard for 3.5 months and then had a 2 week break in Florida with the Zogs. The USA is a great experience,  and if I get another contract I'll be back sure thing, but my heart choose South Africa.  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4232 on: November 30, 2019, 10:56:10 am »
This morning I went to do my favorite past time activity- Parkrun!!

Not too bad for a oke that gained 7kg and hardly got change to run. I'm happy and will work my time back to the sub 24minute range.

Now baking some vetkoek  :lol8:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4233 on: November 30, 2019, 11:25:17 am »
Nice run taking but listening to the work Gary "forced"  :peepwall:you to do and Mrs Zog likewise with the cooking and caring for the pets, I am impressed! :thumleft:
You will quickly get your time down again!
It is always good to get away, but nice to be back home and in your environment.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #4234 on: November 30, 2019, 05:40:23 pm »
Nice run taking but listening to the work Gary "forced"  :peepwall:you to do and Mrs Zog likewise with the cooking and caring for the pets, I am impressed! :thumleft:
It is always good to get away, but nice to be back home and in your environment.

Right, right, just ask him how I forced him to eat the chocolate-glazed donuts and apple fritters... it was brutal.  :imaposer:
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4235 on: November 30, 2019, 09:22:08 pm »

Right, right, just ask him how I forced him to eat the chocolate-glazed donuts and apple fritters... it was brutal.  :imaposer:

That apple fritters is the best!! Shucks I creve them!!  :drif: :drif:

Mrs Z I miss them doggies big time  :'( especially 'Sammy my boyfriend'  :peepwall:  :imaposer: :imaposer:
Please give ol Sammy and Maggie both a big hug from me  ;D :)

Tomorrow I need to go check a bike for my son, testride and if all good buy it. He is still in Minot, North Dakota and he has decided to spoil himself with a good secondhand XTZ660 Tenere. He already got a quote from Dustriders for a bash-plate and some other pimp.
Will be good to ride with my son, maybe even a trip who knows! Thats life!  :laughing4:

Had a visit today from an old Island friend, we have been together on Gough Island 2004-5. G54 and the first of 2 expeditions I have lead, he was the diesel mechanic and the best by far...ever! Yes he was also a great fisherman  :lol8: :laughing4:

I am blessed with great friendships, and my life would have been empty without. Sometimes I think about life, and how good it may get if I share it with someone special but then I think about the stress it may cause (I am old school) if you need to provide and find yourself between contracts like now holding onto your savings....and say you got to go away and leave her behind? In the first place one get someone special to be together and share life, not to work and life apart. Ok I need to stop typing now, will blame my glass 'De Grendel' for this post  :deal:  :imaposer:

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #4236 on: December 02, 2019, 03:10:45 am »
Hello Wd's

So I had a good 2 weeks with the Zogs in Florida and it was a good experience to see the difference between agricultural Kansas, Oklahoma and Northern Texas.
The farms and farming was a good experience, albeit very hard physical work and long hours but that makes the American farmers very efficient.
Ok bear in mind I do not have big farm experience in SA and I am therefore not comparing but just stating that the Americans farm 'fast'.

As the harvester pull out the tractor and air drill pulls in and they plant immediately. No plowing since they find that that affects the soil and moist. 2 weeks later and you have a green field!

Like said, I have learned a lot and I was asked to return bearing in mind everything settled and continue next year March.
I dont want to sit around and get caught with my pants on the ankles so I am looking for work, anything...please let me know. My line is remote site house keeping, housekeeping manager (tented camps) as well as maintenance like general plumbing, arc welding and timber....basically handyman. I can also do remote site ils medic, registered with acls as well as operational medic.
I have got code 11 (Ec1 with pdp) in SA and class A CDL (code 14 America license)

So after my time in the states I have learned once again that no matter how nice, safe and clean another country is, there is still no place like home. Our country is in my heartbeat, i love Africa and SA dearly and this is home...its my first love and i do not have any urge to leave permanently. However, i am very impressed with America and her great people and achievements. There is no place on earth, and nothing that has ever left me speechless and goose flesh all over the body like the Kennedy space sentrum. That was the best and most awesome experience ever and come highly recommended. Worth every cent, a bargain infect!

Universal studios was great, but it would have been better to share the experience with someone else and it took me days to recover from that rides....had a bit of vertigo but ok now  :imaposer:

Airboat rides....very education and a truly amazing experience as well.

All in all, I work hard for 3.5 months and then had a 2 week break in Florida with the Zogs. The USA is a great experience,  and if I get another contract I'll be back sure thing, but my heart choose South Africa.  :thumleft:

Hi Tom Try Mashatu Game reserve in Botswana. It is just across the border at Pontdrif. I spent 13 months there in 1994 and another 13 months in 2010 on a building project. They have a main camp and a tented camp and get mainly overseas guest. Mr Pete le Roux is the operations manager there, Send your CV to him. The last e mail address of him was mashatu.pete@gmail.com Otherwise google their details.
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4237 on: December 02, 2019, 11:36:19 am »
Thanks oom Schalk, will fw CV!!  :thumleft:

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #4238 on: December 02, 2019, 11:37:17 am »
Welkom terug Tom  :thumleft:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1982 Honda XL 600R

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4239 on: December 02, 2019, 11:53:41 am »
Welkom terug Tom  :thumleft:

Baie dankie mater  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Black_Hawk