Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 459716 times)

dieterf and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4340 on: January 21, 2020, 08:11:18 pm »
Congrats on securing more work here, Tom. 

Thank you sir!  :thumleft:

I just got a call from the agent, I quickly had to pay for my H2A Visa to secure a spot in the quee. Cost me a whopping R2850 (USD 190)

Next step is to wait for the final e-mail with instructions on what to 'post' with DHL - I know it will be the passport, 2 x passport photos and maybe a copy of the contract if it is not already submitted online by the agent. It did not feel real till I got the sms notification that the visa has been paid for.

After receiving the passport back from the American embassy ( at DHL) I'll have to pay for that return flight .....pok that is big money, something like R25K and then very important and overseen by so many guys the travel insurance. Roughly R10.5K

Now the Visa money I'll get back, as well as 50% of the flight ticket halfway through the contract and the other half at the end. In the long run the only real expense will be the Travel insurance but like said; that is very important to have since medical expense is serious in the United States of America.  :3some:

If all goes according to plan I'll be on my way the second week in February!  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline Ri

« Reply #4341 on: January 21, 2020, 11:27:28 pm »
Great stuff Tom! Good that you'll get some of that money back, and R10.5k for peace of mind is not too bad. I was under the impression that if a person buys flight tickets with a credit card, then they automatically have medical insurance, but I might be mistaken

Meanwhile, Errol said he'll try to arrange that someone show me around the yacht that's going to Gough Island to do the mouse eradication. Apparently they're sailing early in Feb. I'll send you pics ;-)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #4342 on: January 22, 2020, 02:17:32 am »
Tom, the R10.5k for medical insurance is NOTHING.  :sip:

We pay over $1000 / month for the two of us, so call it $500 each. Per month. So that's roughly R7k / month EACH.

You will be covered for your full duration, so probably around R1k / month average. I wish we could pay that over here  :thumleft:

Ri, you are partly correct with the medical insurance if you pay by credit card. But as I understand, it's only certain cards, and then also only if you are a bona-fide tourist, and then also only for a very limited time. Something like 30 days or so...  :sip:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #4343 on: January 22, 2020, 11:33:07 am »
Great stuff Tom! Good that you'll get some of that money back, and R10.5k for peace of mind is not too bad. I was under the impression that if a person buys flight tickets with a credit card, then they automatically have medical insurance, but I might be mistaken

Meanwhile, Errol said he'll try to arrange that someone show me around the yacht that's going to Gough Island to do the mouse eradication. Apparently they're sailing early in Feb. I'll send you pics ;-)

Great stuff Ri, looking fw to the 'mouse eradication' news and updates! I also have a chat with Errol from time to time on whatsapp, great to be connected in a way but I am somehow busy finding my feet 'away from the island if that makes sense  :)  :lol8:

Tom, the R10.5k for medical insurance is NOTHING.  :sip:

We pay over $1000 / month for the two of us, so call it $500 each. Per month. So that's roughly R7k / month EACH.

You will be covered for your full duration, so probably around R1k / month average. I wish we could pay that over here  :thumleft:

Ri, you are partly correct with the medical insurance if you pay by credit card. But as I understand, it's only certain cards, and then also only if you are a bona-fide tourist, and then also only for a very limited time. Something like 30 days or so...  :sip:

Pok Gary that's a lot of money but I gather (hope  ??? ) it's a bit more comprehensive cover?

The travel insurance 'I'm getting covers me in the workplace as well as off duty albeit also limited to medical emergencies.
Yes there is something like injury on duty but there are also some issues where cases need investigation and what if they find an excuse not to pay and say you got injured because of neglect or whatever?

Pain in the chest for instance is obviously regarded as a medical emergency even if it turn out not to be after the final diagnoses.
My son got an allergic reaction and had no travel insurance and it end up costing him R3K in total to see the doc and medication and that was lucky not a visit to the ER.
So yes; travel insurance can save you big time if you come to need it and say you miss your flight for some reason beyond your control, or loose your luggage - well Travel insurance cover this to some extent and will at the very least provide assistance.

It's just hectic to drop just over R35K all at once in the hope that all will work out where you are going but I guess that is a calculated risk  :)  :thumleft:

Just got the passport picture attached to all the other paperwork that needs to go to the US embassy and now need to ride to Hatfield DHL to submit everything.
If all goes well I'll have a passport with a work visa for 10 months withing 7 to 10 days.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #4344 on: January 25, 2020, 12:13:49 pm »
I still got a bit of fight in me. This 21km half marathon was run in hard pouring rain, and the water on the road made it a bit harder but I got my mind sorted and focused on first enjoying the race and only later realized that I can if I hold it together make a sub 2hour race. My last 21 was about midyear 2019, and I was not in shape for this one especially with a weight gain of almost 10kg. Next week Sarurday another one I really like; the Intercare road race and that will unfortunately mark the last official run before I leave for work in Kansas.
Good times :3some:

Offline Biesie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4345 on: January 25, 2020, 03:14:18 pm »
Hel Tom dis n great tyd!

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4346 on: January 25, 2020, 08:01:45 pm »
Mooi man. Wys jou wat gedoen kan word as jy n Honda ry :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #4347 on: January 25, 2020, 08:27:11 pm »
Hel Tom dis n great tyd!

Baie dankie  :thumleft:

Mooi man. Wys jou wat gedoen kan word as jy n Honda ry :laughing4:

Honda; the power of dreams  :laughing4:

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #4348 on: January 31, 2020, 06:17:07 pm »
Hello Wd's

I think I already like the "new farmer"  :) , earlier the week he has asked the agent to get our shirt sizes because he wants to order new working outfit for us.

I have started to learn for CDL again because I can recall that they ask you sometimes to write the general knowledge section of the exam when you renew and I sure dont want to waste any time.

This time around I hope to find a good bank. The banking system in the States is fairly much different to what we are used to. You are getting paid with cheques every 2nd week and even online banking is very much different to our system. Maybe a bit more conservative but more safe. The bank i have used did not give any options to add beneficiaries and obviously no electronic fund transfers. You cant transfer money from your USA bank account to your ZA account and therefore we have used an application. There are various but World remit is most commonly used.

My bag is packed and on the ready, my camera the same although I haven't used it much last year other than my visit to Gary & Alex in Florida. Man I did love the pictures taken at Kennedy space sentrum and Universal. Very special indeed and what I have learned is that cellphones work best for capturing pics sometimes at the workplace.

Tomorrow is the Intercare roadrace 21km and I have entered and wish I did not since I injured myself yesterday.
After selling the dinner set I used the money to buy IBR roof sheeting to finally cover my car shed - I got the ok at the body corporate 8 years ago and build it but covered temporary with 80% shade net. Well 8 years down the line I finally het to put that sheets on and my son was helping but had to go and buy more long self drilling screws.

The ladder slipped and I grabbed a truss hanging for dear life and then bracing and let go for a soft landing still with the new Boch drill in hand  :o
Well all ok  but my arm got badly bruised and looks rather bad (worse than it is) and hope it wouldn't bother me with the running too much  :lol8:

Anyway, the roof is on and I have also baught curtain material today and dropped off with a friend that will make that for me. Pimp the house and leave for 10 months  :imaposer:

Anyway, have a great weekend in sunny South Africa!!  :thumleft:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4349 on: January 31, 2020, 06:20:55 pm »
Ek dink jy moenie gaan hardloop nie. Rus jou arm en lyf. :deal:
Ek dink dis anyway tyd dat jy oorskakel bicycle toe vir oefening. :deal:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #4350 on: January 31, 2020, 06:31:41 pm »
Ek dink jy moenie gaan hardloop nie. Rus jou arm en lyf. :deal:
Ek dink dis anyway tyd dat jy oorskakel bicycle toe vir oefening. :deal:

Dankie Chris, as dit nie goed voel more sal ek maar net gaan en my sister en klub ondersteun.  :thumleft:
Baie dankie namens seun Chris vd XT660Z ligskerm, dis afgelewer en julle het steeds die beste diens! :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #4352 on: February 01, 2020, 09:32:58 am »

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #4353 on: February 01, 2020, 09:38:21 am »
Very hard race, and I forgot to stop my watch in time but did a 2 Hour 1 minute race :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4354 on: February 02, 2020, 12:51:11 am »
Tom, ek se dit weer…

Bank of America...

https://promo.bankofamerica.com/multiproduct/?cm_mmc=ENT-Consumer-_-MSN-PS-_-boa-_-Brand_CoreBrand&msclkid=617f33467d2e1594e6386d72b2015bcd&gclid=CNO6p_WUr-cCFdgUgQodHPoDfg&gclsrc=ds

Agree but they are not in every town Gary, and apparently I am going to a very small town  :)

No, they are not in every small town. But you open your account in the big town, then you are done. You can deposit your checks from the app on your phone, use the debit card anywhere, just like a real bank should be.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #4355 on: February 07, 2020, 09:40:25 pm »
Got my H2A Visa today and it happened fast, had to rush back home to get forms signed and mailed and still in time to pay and secure my seat on KLM airways (Dutch)
Sunday 16th I'll fly via Amsterdam to the state Minneapolis and then one last leg to Omaha Nebraska - from there a road trip to Dorchester NE and soon after 5 of us will hop over to Kansas but I dont know where I'll be based at this stage. The road trip is 400 miles.

Return date the 13 and 14th of December. This time I already know 4sure that there won't be a change at the end of the contract to visit or explore since the farmer already indicated that Dec is actually busy and it would have been good to have us longer. Well it's all good with me, I'm in for the work and looking fw to work hard and learn from the Cooperation.

My camera goes with so I trust this thread will fire up again!!
Have a good weekend!!  :thumleft:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4356 on: February 08, 2020, 02:24:06 am »
Got my H2A Visa today and it happened fast, had to rush back home to get forms signed and mailed and still in time to pay and secure my seat on KLM airways (Dutch)
Sunday 16th I'll fly via Amsterdam to the state Minneapolis and then one last leg to Omaha Nebraska - from there a road trip to Dorchester NE and soon after 5 of us will hop over to Kansas but I dont know where I'll be based at this stage. The road trip is 400 miles.

Return date the 13 and 14th of December. This time I already know 4sure that there won't be a change at the end of the contract to visit or explore since the farmer already indicated that Dec is actually busy and it would have been good to have us longer. Well it's all good with me, I'm in for the work and looking fw to work hard and learn from the Cooperation.

My camera goes with so I trust this thread will fire up again!!
Have a good weekend!!  :thumleft:
In Skipol (Amsterdam) try Murphy’s pub, their “red ale” is lovely.  :thumleft:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4357 on: February 08, 2020, 02:26:28 am »
Double post
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:27:54 am by Welsh »
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4358 on: February 08, 2020, 04:38:47 am »
Good stuff Tom.

Pity you won't be able to visit, but at least we can chat on the phone again  :thumleft:

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #4359 on: February 10, 2020, 04:15:43 pm »
Hello WD's

All madness trying to finalise everything in time - contract work reminds of military service; 'hurry up and wait'  :lol8:

Saturday desert fox invited me for a braai at their home and like he said right at the end of the night when I had to leave; 'it's like being on holiday meeting someone nice on the last day'  :imaposer: It's a shame I haven't made plan to meet them earlier but ok now I got very good friends in Brits as well!

Sunday was yet another friend in Harties, and now I'm trying to squeeze more visits in between all the other stuff that needs to be done in the last 6 days before I leave.

Someone asked me to lay down the expenses for other to see that may plan to go the same route (farmworker in the States)
Visa: R3000
Return flight with KLM (Very special price for early booking by agent) R17880 (R7K cheaper)
Travel insurance: Exact price of R10000

This has set me back a total of R31 880.
I'll get everything back from the farmer except the R10K Travel insurance over time.

I got my act together now - I have committed and am focussed. I am going with an attitude to work hard and to learn and gain experience. 
I did go to the HPCSA (Health professions council of SA) to pay another years registration but they could not help - 'come back April - our system doesn allow for early payments any longer)
 :)  So be it, will ask my son to do it in April then...just to keep that backdoor open and continue registration as a medic which at the least will allow me to legally help people in need when/while Im home.

Come on 2020  :thumleft: :laughing4:

The following users thanked this post: desertfox, big oil