Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 380346 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4400 on: February 22, 2020, 03:36:35 am »
Today was the final training day and only practical at the elevators where we will be loading grain on train carriers.
Yes there will always be training and I think this whole year infact will be a constant learning curve, therefore I will just have (hope) to make this my new career  :3some: :)

Each of us got a 100usd voucher to buy new working g boots and Gary advised me to buy 2 pairs and alternate them but unfortunately the store where the voucher is valid is only selling high end products. Cheapest pair of boots was 80 so I decided to take a pair of CAT's that came highly recommended at 99usd and add tax it came down to 107.

So the boss knew I want to buy a bicycle and another blanket and he took us to Wallmart where I fell for a new Mongoose MTB for 160usd including taxes.

Man I cant wait to take that bicycle out on the blue river MTB and hiking trail tomorrow morning!!

Now hear this: for a change I have not drawn the short straw, we were split into smaller teams and 2 of us got to work now in grain at a beutiful small town called Frankfort Kansas.

That's about 30 min drive from home, and we got to see the site today. Learned so much, this is the best and most modern elevators and can load a train at 60000 bushels per minute!

We will work a bit on the site at times in agronomy as well, and at this time a am a bit intimidated in a food way with regards to the new field, but at the last stop my boss introduced us to someone and I heard him saying that he is impressed because we are fast leaners.

Amazing.....I am fortunate  :3some:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4401 on: February 22, 2020, 03:37:21 am »
You will mis changing tires... :pot: :peepwall: :laughing4:

Now he's gonna change the tyres on the train loco's  :pot: :imaposer:

:spitcoffee: That's right

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #4402 on: February 22, 2020, 03:43:46 am »
Those Cats are great boots. I'm pretty sure that they also carry a warranty, so keep the receipt  :deal:  :thumleft:

And the MTB is great! Now all you need is a fishing rod holder for it. I'll try take a pic of the fishing rod holder on my bike tomorrow so you can get some ideas...

Hell man! Just send me your address and I'll make you one and mail it to you  :deal:  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4403 on: February 22, 2020, 03:52:15 am »
You will mis changing tires... :pot: :peepwall: :laughing4:

Now he's gonna change the tyres on the train loco's  :pot: :imaposer:
I was surprised to see you say that Mr Zog, no offense but the “layman” is generally unaware that they have tyres.  :sip:
Adventure before Dementia.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4404 on: February 22, 2020, 04:47:47 am »
We have decided to walk to the Wagon wheel and have supper, it was a long week and we can do with a bit of an unwind.

I got a Wiskey burger, kid you not  :) and very lekker with a 'Bush' beer.

Got quite a weird sign in the mens room  :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4405 on: February 22, 2020, 04:52:51 am »
Those Cats are great boots. I'm pretty sure that they also carry a warranty, so keep the receipt  :deal:  :thumleft:

And the MTB is great! Now all you need is a fishing rod holder for it. I'll try take a pic of the fishing rod holder on my bike tomorrow so you can get some ideas...

Hell man! Just send me your address and I'll make you one and mail it to you  :deal:  :thumleft:

Thanks Gary  :thumleft:

Man the postal service rock. 3 days ago we all opened new bank accounts and today when I got home my customized bankcard was in the mailbox and all I had to do was to activate it.  :3some:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4406 on: February 23, 2020, 02:57:40 am »
We are putting the US postal service to test once more, Mr Z has made me a fishing rod holder for my bicycle and posted the afternoon.
I am Very far from him; he in central Florida and I am North East Kansas

I did ride my bicycle to Wallmart on a 10km round trip....pok  :o I'm running fit but not cycling fit....it was only 12 degrees but I was huffing and puffing  :lol8:

Did buy a bathroom mat for the shower and some bread, cold meat and cheese slices to make sammies for work. Also a head and taillight for the bike since the rules are rather strict and I don't ever want any trouble.
Last night I met a guy saying 'word is out that there are a bunch of South Africans' in town  :lol8:
Nothing new to them with the harvesting teams moving through here from time to town but we are here for 10 months.

Last night a guy just offered us a lift, also knowing who we are and where we work.

I did not even lock my bike at Wallmart, left it right there and an hour later it was still there  :)
Tomorrow I need to study a bit, just to get to know a bit more about NH3 and some other important things that are new to me.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4407 on: February 23, 2020, 10:54:46 am »
 'word is out that there are a bunch of South Africans' in town

Lock up yer wives and daughters those men with bones through their noses from the black continent are in town!! :lol8: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4408 on: February 23, 2020, 05:15:54 pm »

Lock up yer wives and daughters those men with bones through their noses from the black continent are in town!! :lol8: :lol8:

:imaposer:

Yes I must say they do find our accent interesting, mine sometimes more than the other guys and I supposed that's because I'm not great with languages but I'm confident the English will get spoken a lot and  get a bit better this season!  :thumleft:

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4409 on: February 23, 2020, 10:15:33 pm »

:imaposer:

Yes I must say they do find our accent interesting, mine sometimes more than the other guys and I supposed that's because I'm not great with languages but I'm confident the English will get spoken a lot and  get a bit better this season!  :thumleft:
Don't worry Tom the rest of America do not understand the Georgians either and they supposedly speak english!! :lol8: ;)
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #4410 on: February 24, 2020, 03:03:09 am »
Some advice...

Lock up your bike when parked Tom. Especially at Walmart.  :deal:

Just because most people are a whole lot better behaved over here doesn't mean that everyone is.  :deal:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4411 on: February 24, 2020, 03:23:38 am »
Some advice...

Just because most people are a whole lot better behaved over here doesn't mean that everyone is.  :deal:

Yes I will do that Gary, but when I went to Wallmart I had no lock yet and specifically went to buy a lock, head and tail light and some needed items. So admittedly a bit of a gamble and glad it was still there.
However; the lock is now permanently wrapped around the frame and the key attached to my wallet so I'm sorted.

This afternoon between studies I went for a 5mile ride on the blue river trail and saw a mighty bald head eagle within meters!!
It looks very much like a fish eagle.
Unfortunately I did not stop in time because I would have been able to take a clear shot with the cellphone!

I did not bring my camera this time round, I was limited in a big way on luggage and probably because of the last flight where they use some smaller plane.....Bombardier I think, not sure.
So they were very strict in luggage,  only 1 x 23kg check in bag and one 7kg hand luggage

If all goes well I'll look into buying a 1inch sensor camera with 10x zoom to get some proper picture throughout the year.  :thumleft:

Tomorrow we start officially with work  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4412 on: February 24, 2020, 03:39:25 am »
Apparently this trail goes all the way from Marysville to Beatrice Nebraska.
Once I'm fit enough I'll attempt that on an off weekend.

Offline Skim

« Reply #4413 on: February 24, 2020, 06:54:01 am »
Great update Tom

I do hope that you have a great year and all works out - at least kicked of well!!
Skim

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4414 on: February 24, 2020, 10:44:07 am »
Some advice...

I had the same line of thought  ;D

All looking promising so far, Tom, it's going to be good!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4415 on: February 25, 2020, 03:10:09 am »
We were looking forward to today, our first working day!!
Yes we were a bit nervous because you don't know if you'll be living up to the expectations.
However, it did went well and now once again something we Saffers can learn from: like my previous American boss our boss today went in and demonstrated what needs to be done life.
It was hard physical work, cleaning up a plugged auger gate and suctioning the grain out to get to all of this.
Respect sir.

So I had to move the truck to get it loaded evenly and run the tractor pto to power the grain suction - who has heard of a tractor by the name of WHITE? Apparently Canadian and very old but been running flawlessly.
Later the automated sweep started to clean out the bin and we started and continued for the rest of the day to unload grain, 1 x soy and the rest all corn.
In between we did some housekeeping on the offloading pits.
It was nice meeting some farmers, learning a great deal of how the elevators work and how to channel grain from one area to another - all computerised and for now it's still a bit 'Greek' but well catch on!

Well, no idea yet what tomorrow will bring but chuffed that we made it past day 1. Coming Friday will be a train, we will need to load 110 train trailers with a grand total of 440 000 bushels of corn.
We expect the train at noon and it will take us 8 hours to load it.
Looking very much fw.  :)

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #4416 on: February 25, 2020, 07:35:14 am »
Exciting stuff! Such a pity you can't take photo's but you'll be working too hard, anyway.

Enjoy :thumleft:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4417 on: February 25, 2020, 10:34:05 am »
tractor by the name of WHITE?

White tractors were great tractors. Cummins diesels. White and Oliver was bought out by ACGO and the last Whites were built in 1998 I think. ACGO now owns Massey Ferguson and distributes Fendt tractors in the USA and Canada.

White had a very good corn planter that is still manufactured and sold by ACGO.
I know of one White tractor in the western Cape and it is near Piketberg on a farm. Beaut of a tractor that just does light chores to keep it pristine.

The last White's looked like this:

info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4418 on: February 26, 2020, 03:15:57 am »
Thanks Chris, that was a good read and I was hoping you would reply since I know your passion for Tractors and Trucks.  :thumleft:

Today I got home and on the front porch I found the parcel that Mr Zog posted Saturday afternoon, now isn't that service!!

Thanks Gary, a nice bracket to hold my fishing rod on the bicycle and to fill the gaps he put some good old popcorn in and even a sheet of stickers!!

Really appreciated  :3some: :thumleft:

We are really tired and only past 7 and already lying in bed. It was really very cold and we worked shovel today, first cleaning out a huge grain bin and then cleaning up (also shoveling) all the corn that came out of a very tall grain leg.

Well, we actually enjoyed it and it beats fixing truck punches by far!!  :laughing4:
Test of the day we offloaded trucks and it was nice talking to some of the farmers.

Day 2 in the bag and I already love my new job. I had to make a decision wrt my health and will stop running long distances since I need more muscle strength in my arms and back. So the bicycle will be my cardio and the physical work should increase my strength given I eat enough proteins.

A new chapter  8)

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4419 on: February 26, 2020, 05:23:42 am »
I am glad you are enjoying your work!
Nice one from Gary with the rodholder and trust him to send something nice with. :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500