Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 413691 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4480 on: April 05, 2020, 08:37:35 pm »
Thanks guys  :thumleft:

From me to me  :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4481 on: April 05, 2020, 08:40:21 pm »
We are loading a train from 16H00 to about 00H30 and 6am I need to drive to Fairbury sohail pesticides for our one crop spray airplane, I still need a crash course in how the tender work but I'll be ok....looking fw to yet another discipline in agronomy  :)

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #4482 on: April 06, 2020, 09:45:53 am »
Lekker Birthday!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #4483 on: April 06, 2020, 10:11:49 am »
Baie geluk Tom :thumleft:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1984 Honda XL 600R

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4484 on: April 08, 2020, 05:32:23 pm »
I remember a while ago reading about "seamless automatic transmission " and someone stated here on WD's that 'there is no such thing'
Well my current commute in my Chev Silverado bakkie is 55minutes one way and this morning I once again paid attention to the shifting. If that doesn't qualify as seamless shifting then I don't know....
Sadly these huge gas guzzlers are not environmentally friendly but it may take years (many) before the States motor industry will change their ways if ever.
I feel like a hypocrite loving and hating it in the same sentence  :-[

Our working hours are picking up to the extend where I'm only living work which is not bad since outside work I only have running and reading, nothing more.

America is beutiful and clean, Kansas and Nebraska or at least the areas I generally find myself working is friendly.
Pok the community may have a thread somewhere talking about the 'non greeters' since working here reminds me of childhood on the platteland (rural SA) where every person got greeted as you traveled.

I drive in daytime with hands at 10 and 2 O'clock and keep lifting the left fingers or sometimes hand. Smile and wave yes!  :)

If you want to upset a farmer and get yelled at drive over his field; you are only allowed the absolute minimum entry into the field for example delivering dry fertilizer to the machine. Heavy pressure on soil causes damage hence the rules.

I got myself into a situation with the horse and trailer where I had to take the safe option wrt the rig and cut over a piece of lawn 😅 and.....no I did not get away with it and had to apologize to the last and will have to go back there in a while and backfill the tracks I left and sow grass seeds  :biggrin: So we learn, we all make mistakes.

I do however get homesick at times, miss my loved ones terribly but from here I can earn and support them atleast.

Take care  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #4485 on: April 09, 2020, 01:31:40 pm »
LOL Ouch! Hope you're putting a bit (or really, LOTS) aside for yourself too, now that you're working so hard.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4486 on: April 09, 2020, 04:45:45 pm »
LOL Ouch! Hope you're putting a bit (or really, LOTS) aside for yourself too, now that you're working so hard.

Ri I've spoken to soon when I said I have plenty time now to have a bit of a life, the season has changed and we see a drastic increase in agricultural activity and as result hours worked. So much so that I have packed my laptop away this morning after a charge. This week I've been working 12hours a day, and then wr still have the trains at random hours like say you will complete a normal working day and then be called in to load the train during the night, go home and rest as long as you need (very reasonable arrangement) and then head back and complete let's say half a shift.

Regardless, we are here to work and the work is enjoyable. This week I'm driving a big semi - dry fertilizer tender and there is not much physical work other than pulling levers and working a program on an iPad (that I found difficult bit dit get it on day 3 and confident)

So my back is taking a rest for a short while till we load the train again coming Friday night. I do not really know what I can do about my back pain and it doesn't seem like an I jury but just the normal overstrained symptoms from working prolonged hours bending and using the lower back. I think its common in the 50's to have these, but nevertheless it is hard at times and I have depleted my cateflamD's and no supstetudes over the counter except for ibuprofen which has zero effect on me body.

So if anyone know what helps to relieve lower back pain and to make my lower back stronger with some excercises without causing more damage please post here cause I am in need of sound advice. Any other medications available over the counter (wallmart I normally use to shop at) in the States that may help please advice if anyone in the know.
I will google for a lumbar support belt, that may help I think.

For now I'm extremely happy in my truck albeit a temp arrangement till the pilot is back. Our one crop sprayer pilot operates this truck as well but he had to go calibrate the new pumps etc on the new crop spraying plane. That is one talented man and I was humbled to have met and spent a day of training in the tender together.

One amazingly good company I'm working at  :3some:

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #4487 on: April 09, 2020, 06:33:32 pm »

So if anyone know what helps to relieve lower back pain and to make my lower back stronger with some excercises without causing more damage please post here cause I am in need of sound advice. Any other medications available over the counter (wallmart I normally use to shop at) in the States that may help please advice if anyone in the know.

Sorry to hear about your back, Tom. Unfortunately once you've hurt it, it doesn't take much to hurt it again.

Although I do take the odd anti-inflammatory I'm of the opinion they hide the pain and you tend to carry on hurting it.

Stretching properly before doing any manual labour definitely helps. Over-extending is the usual culprit.

Lying flat on your stomach and lifting your upper body in increments (first with arms and then just using your back muscles) is a fairly good exercise for lower back.

Glad to hear you're happy.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4488 on: April 09, 2020, 06:37:04 pm »

That is pretty much exclusively driven from the top down Tom, good to hear.  :thumleft:
Trying to outlive Keith Richard.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #4489 on: April 09, 2020, 10:34:35 pm »

For now I'm extremely happy in my truck albeit a temp arrangement till the pilot is back. Our one crop sprayer pilot operates this truck as well but he had to go calibrate the new pumps etc on the new crop spraying plane. That is one talented man and I was humbled to have met and spent a day of training in the tender together.

Pleased that you're in good company.

Regarding the lower back pain, the only thing I can suggest is maybe take a look at Pilates. The way you bend and work, I'm not sure whether it can help, but the general idea is that you strengthen your core muscles (lower and side ab muscles) to help support your back. The moment one activates (pull in) the core muscles, one can feel there's less strain on your the back.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4490 on: April 12, 2020, 05:02:03 am »
Thanks for the advice on the lower back pain guys and girls, I will see what I can do wrt stretches and so on but going sometimes without some form of pain meds is not an option when you need rest having g to gear up for the next session of work.

This week was amazing despite my 'oops' on the lady's lawn with me truck but that got sorted by our manager, dont know how and what. All he said is that it's taken care of, dont worri.  :biggrin:

I have clocked 71 hours for the week, all of that driving the one semi hauling dry fertilizer and operating the rig. So my back got a well deserved break, but Monday I'm back on grain in Frankfort and it's good since that is my home base and I have a very good manager looking after us although the manager I have worked under this week was just as good.

You all know my major complaints last year was fixing truck tyres, having to remove and wrestle those big old wheels and do everything by hand. Shucks man it worn me down! So this morning my 18 wheeler got an inside traction puncture and the tyre off the bead. The boss said: run her down the road to Mr Tyre ?one of our Coop's branches) and get it fixed. I pulled in there and what do you know? They do it for me in no time with proper tools, fast and efficient!! I was back on the road 20 minutes later with clean hands  :3some:

When I went for my license last year I panicked all the way since a 90 degree alley docking was a nightmare. Well this week I have done plenty since it's the only way into a field with narrow bridges and not a lot of room to swing the tractor around but despite a pull up here and there I never caused a delay or 'moment'.

I can see why people get so passionate about trucking, I dont sell myself as a trucker by a long shot but I manage ok for an ex medic!  :ricky:
Still haven't reneved my Health professions council registration and still not convinced that I'll do...
I love advice from friends and sadly some of them get heavily annoyed with me when they tell me something sensible to do and I end up doing the opposite and not because of rebellion or ignor9but simply because sensible is not always the right thing for me...sometimes I need to find out for myself,  they are my mistakes to make and sometimes against all odds my decision will work out best or make me happy....right  :lol8:

Our lives, our adventures.
I'm really happy so far, some say blessed  :thumleft:

Funny thing working in Nebraska on a site where none of the other South Africans have worked yet the guys were all curious about the seasonal workers program and also and obviously the general enquiries about South Africa. The guys wouldn't have any of my humble duties like cleaning shit and staying busy. No albeit their understanding about us being the general workers always called in to do clean up and manual hard labour they just said no, you are here to opperate the dry fertilizer tender and that's it. Everytime I helped someone fixing shit I got a free coldrink, man I got used to the taste of sugar free mountain dew!!

Hope them tornado 's give us a miss :o
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:54:35 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #4491 on: April 12, 2020, 06:39:30 am »
Mountain dew is seriously good pop!

Offline frankmac

• You want my what??
« Reply #4492 on: April 12, 2020, 07:11:33 am »
How's the COVID-19 thingy affecting you guys, Tom?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4493 on: April 12, 2020, 08:11:04 pm »
How's the COVID-19 thingy affecting you guys, Tom?

Well being an essential service we cant really tell the difference at work since the only not normal thing is the farmers avoid getting out of their trucks and making conversation and that I do miss since most of them farmers are friendly and always got a good story to share.

However, in town it is a different story since they have asked all the public in Nebraska to wear masks and keep 6 feet distance and the people are very disciplined in this regard. Back in Kansas in my home town the people dont necessarily wear masks but also do the distance thing and limit movement as much as possible. All shops are closed but restaurants do takeouts and deliver.

One billionaire gave all the residents in one town each usd 1500 coupon voucher to support local businesses (cant recall the name of town) and it was wort usd 70 000. Respect.  :3some:

Friday night the people of Marysville had a vehicle parade and anyone was free to join in. So they will drive up and down through town with greeting each other through closed windows with some honking and revving engines and so on. It's been happening g in all the surrounding small towns since the people knows each other here....most are farming or farming related communities.  So.e even joined the parade with big machines like dry fertilizer spreaders, huge agricultural trucks and midsize tractors and motorcycles.

I can see myself buying a cruiser in the near future, or maybe next season if they call me back. This is a huge cruiser motorcycle community and I talked to one guy at work last week. Got a nice Yamaha star cruiser for usd 2.5k and one can always later sell it for usd 2k after the enjoyment of ownership. Most like to fit a sound system to these bikes, and they just cruise and the roads are well kept. I have seen the first pothole last week in Nebraska and it was almost excitingly weird the discover  :laughing4: that got fixed and I see all roadwork continuing normal during g the isolation time.

So this is not a total lockdown nut a limited movement and shop closure lockdown and shops that are allowed to remain open has got various safety precautions in plase like labels on the floor showing 6 feet distance, sanitizing lappies and sneeze screens at paypoints. It is extremely still on the road, my commute was last week 55minutes from Marysville to Fairbury and sometimes I only sow 3 to max 10 vehicles on the commute.

It's weird since you see cars parked but no sound nor movement.
I guess we agri workers are somehow blessed to work.

Offline frankmac

• You want my what??
« Reply #4494 on: April 13, 2020, 06:28:07 am »
Thanks Tom. As you say, at least you guys are working.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4495 on: April 13, 2020, 08:10:40 am »
Morning Tom, watch out for those Tornadoes, they have been touching down in Mississippi, Texas and Louisiana.   :peepwall:
Trying to outlive Keith Richard.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4496 on: April 17, 2020, 04:12:49 pm »
They say changes of being hit by a tornado is the same than being struck by lightning.
I think it's less painful than dying 'peacefully in your sleep' which is apparently not true since that heart attack hurts like hell they say  :o
Either way, let's give a  :thumleft: to live!  :)

I really hope this is the tail end of the winter now, will sent it your way in SA ok???  :lol8:

Allowed to share some pictures, and sadly the quality not the best on my cellphone but I'll be getting either a better phone (solely for camera) or real camera (prefer) in a while. The overtime is helping and I am saving towards that and already got 550usd in the 'camera kitty'  :3some: :laughing4:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4497 on: April 17, 2020, 04:22:02 pm »
PS: That elevators are 'Frankfort Shuttle', a thing of beauty where I mainly work.
However; because of my Cdl I drive trucks every so often even at some of our other outlets and can operate a number of these specialized trucks like a 'side shooter, belt loader and even liquid fertilizer tender.
Once the Covid 19 things blows over I'll be doing my tank endorsement as well to drive that tenders.
My main priority still is grain, and I am lucky to have a real good manager that takes care of us.  :thumleft:
I am still searching for something that can ease lower back pain though, been doing some stretches and I get through the days but sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's ok for a while.
I believe that one can overcome almost any obstacles in time, and I'm sure this will pass.
Have a gr8 weekend and strongs with the last stretch of the lockdown!!  :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4498 on: April 17, 2020, 04:50:53 pm »
Nice to hear that you are enjoying yourself.
Lower back pain is a problem, rest is great and not doing things that agravate it but not possible when you have to work!
I used to sit in front of the jets in my jacuzzi but nowadays the jetted bath needs to do the job!
Only advice I can give otherwise you need to find yourself a lass to massage you :peepwall:
I hope it improves! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4499 on: April 17, 2020, 05:23:45 pm »
Staan daai bakkie voor julle huis waar julle bly.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600