Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 429886 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4640 on: May 23, 2020, 09:57:00 pm »
My brother worked on the ships and did the same as you, earned $'s for as long as he could and got his expenses down as low as he could in order to stay alive when older.
At least here you can live cheap!
Your plans will work out!

They say life is what happens while you were making plans Oubones, or something like that but yes that is my aim currently.
To work as long as I can at Farmers Cooperative in the States till the body cant keep up any longer and they advice me to go home or not renewing my H2A visa....then I'll know, hence my careful approach to life and sparingly and minimalist lifestyle.
I am grateful for what I have, especially in my Wild dog friends which means more to me than they would ever know  :3some:

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4641 on: May 24, 2020, 03:33:35 am »
Many of you may know that I have always been a bit fascinated by astrology.
Many years back on Marion island I met a guy that was equally interested in this and we spent many a night outside identifying and talking about the Universe.

He was also a huge Nightwish fan, and after resting a bit this afternoon (loaded 2 trains = 220 train cars with corn) I revisited Nightwish since I miss this friend that sadly died in a crevice in Antarctica 2008 when I was on Gough island. RIP Johan Jamneck, you are not forgotten.

The song shoemaker was about this pioneer Eugene Shoemaker:
Mikko Pöntinen

This song is about Eugene Shoemaker. Here is his story. Eugene Shoemaker was a geologist and a founder of modern planetary science. He studied craters on Earth and Moon, and realized that they were created by asteroid impacts. Shoemaker was the geology principal investigator for Apollo missions, and he also helped to train the Apollo astronauts that went to the Moon. He himself was a candidate for an Apollo Moon flight but was disqualified after being diagnosed with Addison's disease. Later in life, he said, "Not going to the Moon and banging on it with my own hammer has been the biggest disappointment in life." Shoemaker spent much of his later years searching for undiscovered impact craters around the world. He died on July 18, 1997, in a car accident in Australia, where he was studying craters. In 1999, as a recognition for his scientific accomplishments, some of his ashes were carried to the Moon by the Lunar Prospector space probe. His final resting place is close to the lunar south pole, in the Shoemaker crater, named after him. The Shoemaker's urn was inscribed with a quotation from Romeo and Juliet reading: "And, when he shall die Take him and cut him out in little stars And he will make the face of heaven so fine That all the world will be in love with night And pay no worship to the garish sun." He is the only human buried on celestial body other than Earth. After his death, he finally got to go where he always wanted to be.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjp_DfvJimg

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4642 on: May 24, 2020, 03:35:26 am »
Trying to embed the song but no success  :lol8:
I find all this just interesting as one can see the stars so clear hear on the country side :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:37:38 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4643 on: May 24, 2020, 06:21:40 am »
Got a few pictures on th phone and quickly ran them through LR  :biggrin:

Frankfort KS

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4644 on: May 24, 2020, 06:22:15 am »
Hanover KS

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4645 on: May 24, 2020, 06:22:56 am »
Marietta KS

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4646 on: May 24, 2020, 07:25:45 am »
Many years back on Marion island I met a guy that was equally interested in this and we spent many a night outside identifying and talking about the Universe.

He was also a huge Nightwish fan, and after resting a bit this afternoon (loaded 2 trains = 220 train cars with corn) I revisited Nightwish since I miss this friend that sadly died in a crevice in Antarctica 2008 when I was on Gough island. RIP Johan Jamneck, you are not forgotten.

Tom, I don't know Nightwish, but don't you mean Astronomy, not Astrology?  :thumleft:
Somebody said to me at the weekend, they have been off work with Covid so long, they're getting a Scouse accent.....

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4647 on: May 24, 2020, 11:25:46 am »
Tom what is all those gas or liquid fertilizer carts doing there at the silos or what is in them?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #4648 on: May 24, 2020, 11:30:53 am »
Tom what is all those gas or liquid fertilizer carts doing there at the silos or what is in them?

NH3 aka Anhydrous Ammonia
Toutes les vies comptent

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4649 on: May 24, 2020, 02:47:41 pm »

OK for making bombs then!! :lol8: ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #4650 on: May 24, 2020, 03:12:07 pm »

OK for making bombs then!! :lol8: ;)

Yes, and methamphetamine  :imaposer: :imaposer:

A farmer friend of mine, tough as nails, caught a meth-head trying to extract NH3 from his tank.  Beat the living shit out of the thief, bloodied his face type of beating.  Cops showed up, asked the farmer what happened to the thief's face, he replied, "he fell off the Anhydrous tank, landed on his face"  :imaposer: :imaposer:  The cops laughed, they knew the truth but didn't care. 
Toutes les vies comptent

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4651 on: May 24, 2020, 09:56:40 pm »

Tom, I don't know Nightwish, but don't you mean Astronomy, not Astrology?  :thumleft:

Thanks you sir, it's a learning curve but I honestly strive to better my English!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4652 on: May 24, 2020, 09:59:08 pm »

Chris that is Anhydrous Ammonia, and you will not see a farmer not using it during ground prep before planting.
That is one of our services we render to the farmer here at the Coop. (Dis basies stikstof)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:59:38 pm by Tom van Brits »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4653 on: May 24, 2020, 10:17:46 pm »
Someone asked me more about this machine in the picture that we are using to pick up bunker corn and although not new it has evolved now to a really effective or the most effective way of picking up corn if you don not have an under ground drag and a sweep auger which is just very expensive. That will also make your bu ker location note permanent which may not be ideal for fut9development.
So the older versions of this machine was not attached to the tractor and drawn like an implement behind and powered (also) by the pto of the tractor.
It was smaller and less maneuverable and did not deliver the same output hence the preferred way of rather using payloaders.
However, the latest version we use is attached to a dedicated tractor and will remain on the tractor, it is powered by the pto and also hydraulics for the spout and lowering or higher positioning.
It has got a screw auger to pick up the corn and then a paddle drag to take the corn up to the spout where it is dispensed into the semi and we are loading 30 ton in only 6 minutes!

The tractor should be in the 100hp range but ours a but of an overkill if you ask me: John Deere 7230R  at 220Hp.
Maybe they decided on it because of the higher seating position which is helpful or maybe underdressed mechanics, nevertheless it is an amazing machine which spare and limit the use of the much higher in maintenance pay loaders!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4654 on: May 25, 2020, 03:20:38 pm »
Memorial day - I salute all USA Veterans and those in the service.

This pics from 2005 - Iraq psd

Yes I'm in that picture  :lol8:

Offline wobbler

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4655 on: May 25, 2020, 03:40:45 pm »
I see you had Knowledge Bengu as your Captain.
Good guy. He used to be my Chief Officer.
Ice pilot would have been Dave Hall or the other ex Captain, Freddy Lighthelm and the Purser was Bernie (I forget his surname).
Like most pursers he was long fingered. Was his undoing in the end.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #4656 on: May 25, 2020, 03:41:47 pm »
You gonna fire up that Hog today?
Toutes les vies comptent

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4657 on: May 25, 2020, 04:36:02 pm »
Ice pilot would have been Dave Hall or the other ex Captain, Freddy Lighthelm and the Purser was Bernie (I forget his surname).

Yes he is a good guy, so is Freddy that did a sea rescue with me back In 2007 while Capt Gavin (forgot his last name) was at the steer.
Sadly Bernie brought it over himself, he was nevertheless a good purser before he got greedy which reminds me of our current situation where I sometimes dont know where to put my head ashamed of the greedy or some greedy South Africans here wanting everything for free.....a model they brought along from home it seems. Now some are even remarking that they will return next year on conditions like even a salary raise and I am stunned.
I do not have a brown ring around me neck but am always grateful for the opportunity these guys gives us and I hope that the managers will be able to differentiate between loyal and greedy workers come year end
It was the same last year at my previous farming employer and many did not return because looking for greener pastures and ended up not coming at all because they got caught by the c19 pandemic.

Just had a good slow pace 5km run in the drizzly weather and soon it will rain again, like the past few days so no Hardley Davidson ride nor fishing for now!! :lol8:

Offline DSRider.SA

« Reply #4658 on: May 25, 2020, 04:38:53 pm »

Yes he is a good guy, so is Freddy that did a sea rescue with me back In 2007 while Capt Gavin (forgot his last name) was at the steer.
Sadly Bernie brought it over himself, he was nevertheless a good purser before he got greedy which reminds me of our current situation where I sometimes dont know where to put my head ashamed of the greedy or some greedy South Africans here wanting everything for free.....a model they brought along from home it seems. Now some are even remarking that they will return next year on conditions like even a salary raise and I am stunned.
I do not have a brown ring around me neck but am always grateful for the opportunity these guys gives us and I hope that the managers will be able to differentiate between loyal and greedy workers come year end
It was the same last year at my previous farming employer and many did not return because looking for greener pastures and ended up not coming at all because they got caught by the c19 pandemic.

Just had a good slow pace 5km run in the drizzly weather and soon it will rain again, like the past few days so no Hardley Davidson ride nor fishing for now!! :lol8:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Just stirring, don't go there...

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4659 on: May 25, 2020, 05:37:48 pm »

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Just stirring, don't go there...

Too late  :deal:  :imaposer:

I know it won't make sense to some and I know it is not expected to explain myself but I am close to ordering a camera from B&H.
I am responsible and even a bit stingy (in a good way) when it comes to buying stuff for myself but the way I reasoned is that I have made close to 1k usd extra. That was time I was asked to worked extra to finish projects like picking up corn before the rainstorm etc. I am not getting any younger and photography is my favorite pastime, or has been and every day as I travel I see 'pictures ' next to the road.
I will probably get another entry level Fujifilm camera because of the users interface, you get old fashioned controls where you can set aperture, shutter speed and iso and the image quality is excellent and fuji files have a lot of info even in Jpeg to do post processing on.
The lenses are unfortunately the expensive investment in photography and that is where the real money comes into play. For now I'll have a look at a basic setup, I prefer a wide angle lens since I'll be into landscape and it will also capture good images of my work environment. 
The basic kit lens is a 15/45 apc so wide end around 23mm full frame which is okish but kit lens. Nevertheless a start. They got a good highly praised 35mm lens (50mm ff) for usd 200 which is a bargain but it's a bit narrow for my application.
I know there is a 12 mm Rokinon option at a fair price but did read some bad reviews so not sure.
Will browse a bit more, but the long and short is yes thos who bet I'll get a camera were right  :3some:  :lol8: