Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 426449 times)

BMWPE and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Wayne

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4660 on: May 25, 2020, 06:25:49 pm »
Tom, I am also often slow to spoil myself. But sometimes you got to say to yourself  " Self, this is your life, it's your money so fuck it I will spoil myself".

So off you go and buy that camera. None of us are getting out of this life alive in anycase.

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

The following users thanked this post: DSRider.SA

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4661 on: May 25, 2020, 07:11:02 pm »
Tom, I am also often slow to spoil myself. But sometimes you got to say to yourself  " Self, this is your life, it's your money so fuck it I will spoil myself".

So off you go and buy that camera. None of us are getting out of this life alive in anycase.

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

That's what I like to hear my friend!  :thumleft:

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #4662 on: May 25, 2020, 10:32:25 pm »
We have worked 12.5 hours yesterday and I was halfday in the truck and halfday operating the loader loading corn into a conveyor.
We have moved a lot of corn, definitely way over half now, maybe 3/4.
I'm off to work to pressure was and deliver a truck to Fairbury in Nebraska and that will be another 4 hours.

How's our boss, the day before we got pizza while working late and yesterday we got doughnuts.
He is one of the best bosses I have ever worked under  :3some:

Happy mother's day to all mothers out there!!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4663 on: May 26, 2020, 03:31:03 pm »
We had 7 inches of rain since Friday, that is if I'm correct 175mm and quite a bit of flooding.
Our 2 corn fields right here at the Coop look like lakes.
I am curious to see if the big blue river flowing from Nebraska is flooding since they have reported some floods in NE as well.
While working last week in Marietta the manager told me that there used to be a road going straight down over the river but the bridge was washed a way a few minutes after the school bus cleared it.....it been many years back, but he says people are still referring to that close call.
The limestone pillars is all that remains and a new accessory road was cut west of the river.
He showed me a book with all the history of Marshall county and I will make that a mission to locate a place where I can buy a  ook like that.
I always study everything I can about a community when I am placed out on contract for a while. It helps with relationships and it makes life a whole lot easier and lekker.  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Oubones

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #4664 on: May 26, 2020, 10:20:02 pm »
We had 7 inches of rain since Friday, that is if I'm correct 175mm and quite a bit of flooding.
I am curious to see if the big blue river flowing from Nebraska is flooding since they have reported some floods in NE as well.
While working last week in Marietta the manager told me that there used to be a road going straight down over the river but the bridge was washed a way a few minutes after the school bus cleared it.....it been many years back, but he says people are still referring to that close call.
The limestone pillars is all that remains and a new accessory road was cut west of the river.
He showed me a book with all the history of Marshall county and I will make that a mission to locate a place where I can buy a  ook like that.
I always study everything I can about a community when I am placed out on contract for a while. It helps with relationships and it makes life a whole lot easier and lekker.  :thumleft:
All that rain will slow the wheat cutting down for a few weeks - If there is wheat in the area?

I remember from my stint on a custom cutting crew in 2001 that a bit of rain once in a while is lekker for a break for a day or 2. But usually it works on the nerves of the bossman...

I guess at some time you will see some more Saffas working on the custom cutting crews offloading at the elevators?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4665 on: May 27, 2020, 01:28:14 am »
All that rain will slow the wheat cutting down for a few weeks - If there is wheat in the area?

I remember from my stint on a custom cutting crew in 2001 that a bit of rain once in a while is lekker for a break for a day or 2. But usually it works on the nerves of the bossman...

I guess at some time you will see some more Saffas working on the custom cutting crews offloading at the elevators?

Yes a fair bit of weat in the area and they are sure put back a few weeks now.
I will definitely meet more South Africans but will most probably not even know since in harvest season it gets so busy that the driver never get out, we drop the air suspension and offload and the next guy pulls in.
Especially at the new generation of elevators where I work.
May recognize some, will think of a plan to indicate that we are Saffers. :lol8:

Had a hard day today, some time with a shovel loading corn that plugged and a leg that ran out on the floor, and then some other work which just drained the energy. I am totaled tonight and the first time in a while that I was keeping an eye on the time, could not wait till 5pm and my fear was that someone will ask me to stay on tonight but thankfully that did not happen  :lol8:
Got a few pictures which I'll share at some stage when I got energy to run it through lightroom.
Now I just feel like chillaxing

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4666 on: May 27, 2020, 03:52:08 am »
Decided to mow the lawn and bath, and developed these pictures quickly.
Like said we had over 7 inches of rain since Friday and this is how it looks - some fields were washed away and the farmers will have to replant and some crops will drown, others may get a fungus.
The big blue river is rather full and I got a picture late afternoon through the truck window when I came back from Waterville over the bridge at Blue rapids KS

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4667 on: May 27, 2020, 03:54:23 am »
 :)

PS: One thing I have learned, people with a fear of heights cannot work at elevators  :)

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #4668 on: May 27, 2020, 06:36:26 am »
The big blue river is rather full

Must have been many years ago  :biggrin:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4669 on: May 27, 2020, 12:54:33 pm »
The big blue river is rather full

Must have been many years ago  :biggrin:

:lol8: many moons

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4670 on: May 31, 2020, 02:28:18 am »
America, a great Nation  :3some:

https://youtu.be/W36QKRS_t5k

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4671 on: May 31, 2020, 03:59:54 am »
Some farmers still uses old tipper trucks, but the capacity is not bad at around 400 bushels which will still be valued in yellow corn around 1.3k usd.
No need to own and maintain semi's when you not far from the Coop and maybe not farming all that big like that avg farmers.
I gave my 'old girl' a bath and replaced a leaking airhose, so she is good to haul some more corn next week!  :thumleft:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4672 on: May 31, 2020, 09:31:04 am »
Morning Tom,

I just read an article from the UK, relating to a subject we discussed here (only reason why I put it here), cheaper Dyed Agricultural diesel.

So to clarify for the Saffers, Agricultural Diesel overseas is RED and pays no Road Tax etc as it is for farm use! Road going trucks may not use it (UK they have like a 15 mile or similar radius around the farm where it is OK) the Customs guys stop trucks etc at random and test the fuel!

A refrigerated truck was siezed in Northern Ireland with 14 million illicit cigarettes on board over the weekend, for the black market.

But also "built into the truck" was a "diesel laundering" machine (I had never heard of it before), so a high end set of filters and pumps etc to remove the dye from the Agricultural Diesel, apparently it costs the UK Government Billions of $ in lost revenue a year.      :sip:
Somebody said to me at the weekend, they have been off work with Covid so long, they're getting a Scouse accent.....

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4673 on: May 31, 2020, 11:59:18 am »
Tom what is the measurements of your "house" behind the cockpit in your truck?!! :o
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4674 on: May 31, 2020, 04:52:13 pm »
Morning Tom,

I just read an article from the UK, relating to a subject we discussed here (only reason why I put it here), cheaper Dyed Agricultural diesel.

So to clarify for the Saffers, Agricultural Diesel overseas is RED and pays no Road Tax etc as it is for farm use! Road going trucks may not use it (UK they have like a 15 mile or similar radius around the farm where it is OK) the Customs guys stop trucks etc at random and test the fuel!

A refrigerated truck was siezed in Northern Ireland with 14 million illicit cigarettes on board over the weekend, for the black market.

But also "built into the truck" was a "diesel laundering" machine (I had never heard of it before), so a high end set of filters and pumps etc to remove the dye from the Agricultural Diesel, apparently it costs the UK Government Billions of $ in lost revenue a year.      :sip:

Very interesting and unbelievable to what extent people will go to save money on crook ways only to get caught....now they have endless problems and lawyers would not even touch a case like that.

Tom what is the measurements of your "house" behind the cockpit in your truck?!! :o

Chris do you want it in feet or cubic inches?  :lol8:  :imaposer:
Enough size for a walk in bathroom as well (I wish  :lol8: )

Now you know how I am sometimes breaking sweat when I arrive at a new address to load which was not orginally build for a huge semi like this with a 45feet grain hopper and I need to back towards the southern wall and then bring her sharply over to the Northeastern what what  :deal:  :imaposer:
So I'll first orientate myself and figure where is Nort to begin with,then walk the route where I'll maneuver the truck....look, get in the truck and do fine mirror adjustments.....then pray silently and get on with it. I always somehow manages but I just cant imagine how much easier it will be with a cab over and a short wheelbase single cab tractor!!

Something about driving a big truck like this though, it sure and honestly is special and makes one feel good about your job. I enjoy this truck a lot more despite the above challenges  :thumleft:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4675 on: May 31, 2020, 05:00:23 pm »
 but I just cant imagine how much easier it will be with a cab over and a short wheelbase single cab tractor!!

That long thing needs half of Kansas to maneuver the front to back up in small spaces!! :o ;D
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4676 on: May 31, 2020, 06:27:29 pm »
but I just cant imagine how much easier it will be with a cab over and a short wheelbase single cab tractor!!

That long thing needs half of Kansas to maneuver the front to back up in small spaces!! :o ;D

Yes Chris and a long wheelbase like that handles differently. While backing the rear will be slow to start coming out and then all of a sudden get moving real fast, like overly fast and here you can easily go wrong by over reacting and steer too aggressively to make corrections. With a long wheelbase and your 5th wheel so far to the rear you want to make small steering movements.
It took me a while but I do manage an alley docking now to the blindside without having to get out and check.
Really enjoying this big old truck  :thumleft:
Our reception lady says I'm so small that it looks weird, like there is nobody in the truck  :lol8:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #4677 on: May 31, 2020, 09:27:58 pm »

Yes Chris and a long wheelbase like that handles differently. While backing the rear will be slow to start coming out and then all of a sudden get moving real fast, like overly fast and here you can easily go wrong by over reacting and steer too aggressively to make corrections. With a long wheelbase and your 5th wheel so far to the rear you want to make small steering movements.
It took me a while but I do manage an alley docking now to the blindside without having to get out and check.
Really enjoying this big old truck  :thumleft:
Our reception lady says I'm so small that it looks weird, like there is nobody in the truck  :lol8:

:laughing4: :laughing4:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4678 on: June 01, 2020, 03:17:15 am »
We are loading 110 train cars with yellow corn and started 18H00.
If this is a good train (Hope) without technical/mechanical issues we may finish at around 3am and back home 4am and start work again at around 11am.  :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4679 on: June 01, 2020, 08:14:22 am »
01H10 and 18 more train cars to be loaded and then we need to put seals on all the cars compartments....3 per car x 110.
We are skeleton staff, half went home to resume work at 8am and we will join them at noon.
I tried something different tonight before we came here, thought I could trick my mind and followed my morning routine shaving, brushing teeth and even took my vit C tablet and strong coffee....though ok now I'll handle the night better but just after 10 I started yawning  :lol8: However, still 100 and looking fw to finish and go home and rest  :)