Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 483475 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4740 on: June 18, 2020, 02:54:01 am »
We got up at 1H45 am, left at 2H30 for Hanover and clocked in at 3am and started loading a train.
It was really hot, 98degrees farenheit (mid 30's) and I was working in direct sunlight.
Rehidrated and 'Vasbyt' and 14H30 we were done and drove to Waterville to give the 8.8 liter Chevy motor an oil change and we also sent a sample of the machine oil in for test.
So we found a couple of guys (great youngsters and we became good friends) trying to unscrew the oil filter with no luck. They said we will need to get a strap and now to drive and find one somewhere.
Not allowed to hit a screwdriver through it.
So I asked mind if I try? They laughed and said 'have fun!'  :ricky:
Well, I put a death grip on it and unscrewed it  :lol8: , these guys could not believe it especially when they saw blood all over the filter :o So what happened is earlier today I cut my thumb on a piece of metal seal and was bleeding quite severely.
Being on the train and not wanting to delay the operation I put direct pressure on the wound and lifted above me head till the bleeding stopped.
It never bothered me again till the filter incident but ok its cleaned and I have padded it with magic potion bu name friars balsam. If you dont have it in your motorcycle medical kit you got to do so asap.

While loading weat between train pushes on trucks I came across this old notice and I am sure it was the original and this elevator was built in 1952. I love old shit  :lol8: :lol8:

Anyway, 14 hours it was and tonight I'm gonna hit the hay hard!!
(Kansas saying....and if you are in love with a tannie you apparently will roll in the hay  ??? ::)  :imaposer: ) but I wouldn't know....seriously.

Anyway, I am a bit overly sore and tired and a bit tipsy after only one beer.
Goodnight!!

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4741 on: June 18, 2020, 10:05:18 am »
Friars balsem was my Mom's go to muti when we were kids. Scrapes and what not from falling off bicycles and normal kid stuff. Man that stuff burns like crazy.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #4742 on: June 18, 2020, 12:01:11 pm »
Friars balsem was my Mom's go to muti when we were kids. Scrapes and what not from falling off bicycles and normal kid stuff. Man that stuff burns like crazy.

Puma balsem en Germolene
Deesdae glo ons in Prep
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4743 on: June 18, 2020, 01:20:41 pm »

I have treated wounds in the Congo, even old wounds with friars balsam and it never failed me.
For deeper septic wounds that you could not leave open to dry I used PVP ointment which is iodine and same thing.

Puma balsem en Germolene
Deesdae glo ons in Prep

Yes bud use whatever you feel give the best results. The old people believed very much in germoline and I can recall that as a kid even in the foster homes, will never forget the smell but I did not mend well on it and even in the DRC I convinced some guys with stubborn old injuries to switch to either bactroban or Pvp with great results.  :thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4744 on: June 18, 2020, 04:46:34 pm »
Daai is goeie goed. My ander tool is Zambuk....ek het hom altyd naby :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4745 on: June 18, 2020, 05:13:25 pm »
Daai is goeie goed. My ander tool is Zambuk....ek het hom altyd naby :imaposer:

Yes to that, Zambuk saves especially dry lips in the cold Kansas winter while working with grain and the exposure to grain dust.
A must have  :thumleft:

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #4746 on: June 18, 2020, 08:02:53 pm »
Interesting how different people react differently to different meds. Brufen does nothing for my wife, but for me I find half the dose of brufen more effective than paracetamol. Disprin is no more effective than coca cola.

Bactroban for me is just expensive Vaseline, but Germolene will sort out the dirtiest wound, even if already showing some inflammation, within 24 hours.

I wonder whether doctors are aware that meds can vary this much in effectiveness between individuals?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4747 on: June 18, 2020, 08:25:21 pm »
Interesting how different people react differently to different meds. Brufen does nothing for my wife, but for me I find half the dose of brufen more effective than paracetamol. Disprin is no more effective than coca cola.

Bactroban for me is just expensive Vaseline, but Germolene will sort out the dirtiest wound, even if already showing some inflammation, within 24 hours.

I wonder whether doctors are aware that meds can vary this much in effectiveness between individuals?

Yes and as a medic I was extremely sensitive to my treatment with my patients and since we have been based in the same cap sites and so on I did follow up consultations constantly to make sure we are heading in the right direction.
I was overly sensitive and caring, and really enjoyed patient care especially with stuborn allergies and wounds.
Sadly it was not an option to separate primary health care which I loved and trauma in my career.
I still have not registered again with the HPCA and I am reluctant to do since I want to force myself out of this, shut that back door once and for all because it does me no good.
But yes mate I agree 100%, even in my case 400mg ibuprofen will do nada but cataflam'd will do all the majic.
Doctors are absolutely aware of this as well as medical tolerance but sadly a follow up consultation will cost money ......till they figure out what work.

Offline DSRider.SA

« Reply #4748 on: June 18, 2020, 08:30:15 pm »
No photos with the new camera yet...

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4749 on: June 18, 2020, 08:53:12 pm »
No photos with the new camera yet...

Just a couple, nothing much yet mate....just working 55hr avg a week and Sundays when I'm off there is not much energy especially now in mid summer with high temperatures.
We are also limited in movement (I dont have my own car and may not use the company vehicle for anything other than groceries which is fair)
I will bring the camera to work when I know I dont have very hectic days and there will be some shelter against sun and the elements while working.
Our work is and will remain very physical

Offline DSRider.SA

« Reply #4750 on: June 18, 2020, 08:54:24 pm »
Just kidding, all in good time  :thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4751 on: June 18, 2020, 09:42:42 pm »
Waar is die fiets
 :ricky:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline DSRider.SA

« Reply #4752 on: June 18, 2020, 10:13:34 pm »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4753 on: June 18, 2020, 11:34:21 pm »
Waar is die fiets
 :ricky:

Have not used it in 2 months baas Kobus  :peepwall:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4754 on: June 19, 2020, 04:01:02 am »
I was one of the lucky guys to have his own room, and it's a wee bit bigger than the Island room I had, but sufficient.
Last year we shared 1 camper (RV) between 8 guys, and that was not lekker  :-[
Started raining shortly after we arrived home, another 11,5 hrs shift and tomorrow we load train in Hanover again and the weather app says 70% of rain  :lol8:
Gonna be a wet one again, but it's ok. I'll better watch my step on top of that train cars :)
It's going to be a long day, but I have always loved the sound of the word 'Friday'
Hope you all have a great weekend!

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #4755 on: June 19, 2020, 05:20:26 am »
Tom, can you load in the rain? Won't the cargo become mouldy if it gets wet?
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4756 on: June 19, 2020, 09:38:34 am »
Glas wyn oppie bedkassie, julle plaaswerkers is maar almal dieselfde!! ;) :lol8:
Lekker naweek Tom :thumleft: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4757 on: June 19, 2020, 01:22:33 pm »
Tom, can you load in the rain? Won't the cargo become mouldy if it gets wet?

Yes sir! We do load in rain and in the winter snow.
A lot more pressure on the crew, you stand ontop that train and one opens and one closes. Only 1 train car at n time literally while it slowly position itself under the spout and it loads real fast, and as it moves fw the guy that closes flips the door over, lock and seal. Small amount of moist that gets in in the process, nothing serious.
This will be a soy bean train, 110 rail cars.
I see the rain is forecast for the entire day, currently more like a drizzle and we hope there will be no heavy wind gusts,  that can be rather interesting. 

Glas wyn oppie bedkassie, julle plaaswerkers is maar almal dieselfde!! ;) :lol8:
Lekker naweek Tom :thumleft: :thumleft:

:peepwall:

:imaposer:

The following users thanked this post: TrailBlazer

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4758 on: June 20, 2020, 10:09:44 am »
That train was delayed, and at 5pm we got notified to clock out and go rest to start loading at 2am at Hanover KS.
So here we are ontop of the train, filling her belly with soy beans!!
Wet and slippery but the walkways (grit) around the vents provide enough grip to retain balance.
Got a plastic zip bag to seal the phone when it rains but for now steam SA radio while working.
This is one of the only places where one can do so safely since there is not much physical work other than  breaking deals and opening and closing the top loading doors.

Came across this picture recently on someone's notice board and thought it to be a little funny  :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4759 on: June 22, 2020, 04:18:41 pm »
We have worked 62 hours last week, loaded a corn and a bean train at Hanover KS and spend the rest of the time in Waterville grainvacing beans.....and that is what we conti9doing this week :)

The manager here came to see us while checking the masjine oils and running through the checklist and said; I noticed you struggling to cut something last week so I thought to buy you guys knives.
That was with my cheap Opinel that I brought from SA as a temporary arrangement till I can find a proper working knife again but the Opinel did not disappoint although it gone blunt after cutting some conveyer belts last week.

Well over the moon, it is always special to get something as a present (he has bought it out of his own pocket)
I'll sharpen the Opinel, give a good clean and use it back home for food and use the new knife for work.
He even noticed I got goose bumps when he handed me the knife  :lol8: So much appreciated.

Soon we will be off a couple of days as America come to celebrate 4th of July independence.  Then I'll finally get some time with the camera again. Yesterday I was just plain lazy as were the rest of the guys back home and I only got out to water my vegetables.

We hear all H2b Visas are getting canceled, that is South Africans working anything  other than agriculture (agriculture is H2A)
That will affect South Africans that used to work at the Carnivals, theme parks and so on.
Those positions will have to be filled with local workforce now.
So far H2A (us) are safe.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine