Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 483479 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4760 on: June 24, 2020, 01:02:31 am »
11.5 Hour days currently, we got to get these bean bins empty out since the weat harvest will be coming within days from now.
So interesting to have learned about cooler weather needed for grain fill and so on.
There is so much to know and learn in agriculture, a sector that never stands still always improving just like the medical field....constantly evolving.

Al these small villages are just so beutiful and clean, people life a bit different here than what we are used to. Many similarities but also very different....and I like it. You know you are at the right place when you feel rich even while you're not  :lol8:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4761 on: June 24, 2020, 10:42:03 am »
 You know you are at the right place when you feel rich even while you're not

Ek is so bly jy is happy waar jy is en met wat jy doen Tom. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4762 on: June 24, 2020, 03:35:15 pm »

Ek is so bly jy is happy waar jy is en met wat jy doen Tom. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Baie dankie Chris en Amanda  :thumleft:

Today I have tried something new, American biscuit and gravy....delicious!!

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #4763 on: June 24, 2020, 09:06:19 pm »

Ja, it.is.something to try....maar o wee, sulke goed gee my erge sooibrand!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4764 on: June 24, 2020, 09:10:48 pm »

Ja, it.is.something to try....maar o wee, sulke goed gee my erge sooibrand!

Thabogrobler heartburn is luckily not a problem here in the states where they sell omeprazole 20mg over the counter, off the shelfs at Wallmart. In SA it is by scrip only and very expensive.  Here you get 6 weeks of supply for usd 15.
One a day and guaranteed never heartburn.
Sadly they so not sell Cateflam D over the counter.....pok I need it  :-[

Offline Ri

« Reply #4765 on: June 24, 2020, 09:22:58 pm »
Why would you need an antacid every single day? :eek7:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4766 on: June 24, 2020, 10:38:07 pm »

There are various medical reasons why people may need a chronic acid reducer Ri, and I am not going to tipe it all out in my English which lacks  :lol8:
If you asking about me, I dont care to answer any question about myself....let's say I'm over myself and not much matters other than the picture I'll attach to this post: I only get acid reflux from sweet and processed which I have avoided the past 3 years, maybe longer. So no discomfort or uneasiness.
However, my current situation (I'm an emotional eater) has put me in a state of worry, my son in law lost his work due to C19 and is vision impaired. I have other family concerns as well and here I often struggle with a bit of an overworked body. So be as it may, I eat more takeout these days, drinks a lot of pops. I have stopped using alcohol completely and always do when I get bad episodes of stress and PTSD.
Once I'll get myself back on track I won't need omez anymore  :)

Regardless, I'm content at work, my body must just learn to adapt.  :thumleft:

Edit to ad that picture  :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 03:52:39 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #4767 on: June 25, 2020, 03:23:01 am »
Hang in there Tom.

Take care of your body, you try too hard to please the bosses and as a result you don't take enough breaks. I know, because I am the same  :peepwall:

Ibuprofen does work, but you need to up the dosage. 400mg does nothing. Take 800mg loading dose, then 400mg every 4 hours to control inflammation. Panado (acetaminophen in the US) the same. 1000mg loading dose, then 500mg every 4 hours. Take at the same time as the ibuprofen, they have a synergistic effect. Works great for moderate to even severe pain.  :thumleft: Don't fuck around with the little doses they say on the tin, trust me  :thumleft:

We need to have another phone-chat. Maybe this weekend? Let me know via Whatsapp  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4768 on: June 25, 2020, 03:48:42 am »
Hang in there Tom.

Take care of your body, you try too hard to please the bosses and as a result you don't take enough breaks. I know, because I am the same  :peepwall:

Ibuprofen does work, but you need to up the dosage. 400mg does nothing. Take 800mg loading dose, then 400mg every 4 hours to control inflammation. Panado (acetaminophen in the US) the same. 1000mg loading dose, then 500mg every 4 hours. Take at the same time as the ibuprofen, they have a synergistic effect. Works great for moderate to even severe pain.  :thumleft: Don't fuck around with the little doses they say on the tin, trust me  :thumleft:

We need to have another phone-chat. Maybe this weekend? Let me know via Whatsapp  :thumleft:

Call on Sunday sounds good, thanks Gary  :thumleft:

Online Oubones

« Reply #4769 on: June 25, 2020, 08:23:11 am »
You are right, take what you need to make you feel better.
Take care though not to work yourself to death, we are not getting younger.
I live my live, take the pains that come with it, but am not planning on becoming an oxygen thief for the sake of living longer.
You make me proud the way you work! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4770 on: June 25, 2020, 03:09:52 pm »
You are right, take what you need to make you feel better.
Take care though not to work yourself to death, we are not getting younger.
I live my live, take the pains that come with it, but am not planning on becoming an oxygen thief for the sake of living longer.
You make me proud the way you work! :thumleft:

Thank you sir  :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4771 on: June 25, 2020, 07:50:32 pm »
Every time I get a break the phone comes out and I browse Wd's to see what's new  :)

Yesterday another young guy that started with us on the program pulled out, resigned and going to another farmer. It's the second one and we are only 14 from the original 16 that started out.
Sad in a way, and I would not know what their reasons would be but I'll stay put for as long as they want me here and my health allows.
Was so hoping this would open up an opportunity for my son to come in, since I have hope to refer him and with his added skill as a millwright he may be an assit to the Coop.
Anyway, a lot happening and I hope the Coop will still value this program and continue next year. This is only a trial period and I have no idea if the other guys are performing adequate or not.....time will tell.
Pok people, this is not a political thread but may I say this: Our new (young) generation have a different outlook on life, not all bad but it doesn't help here wrt some attitude and behavior I notice.

Time will tell.
My manager just came to me, said he is very pleased with our progress, praised us on the neat and safe way we work and said he want us to leave at 5 today to take some rest.

Good people this Americans  :thumleft:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4772 on: June 25, 2020, 07:55:52 pm »
Every time I get a break the phone comes out and I browse Wd's to see what's new  :)

Yesterday another young guy that started with us on the program pulled out, resigned and going to another farmer. It's the second one and we are only 14 from the original 16 that started out.
Sad in a way, and I would not know what their reasons would be but I'll stay put for as long as they want me here and my health allows.
Was so hoping this would open up an opportunity for my son to come in, since I have hope to refer him and with his added skill as a millwright he may be an assit to the Coop.
Anyway, a lot happening and I hope the Coop will still value this program and continue next year. This is only a trial period and I have no idea if the other guys are performing adequate or not.....time will tell.
Pok people, this is not a political thread but may I say this: Our new (young) generation have a different outlook on life, not all bad but it doesn't help here wrt some attitude and behavior I notice.

Time will tell.
My manager just came to me, said he is very pleased with our progress, praised us on the neat and safe way we work and said he want us to leave at 5 today to take some rest.

Tom, I hear the same stories from my wife of friends whose younger family members, working hard and holding a job down does not feature much.  :sip:
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #4773 on: June 25, 2020, 08:12:40 pm »
Why? To be able to live!

Currently I am seriously over my ideal weight and just looking at a refined wheat product causes me heartburn.

A few weeks ago I gone cold turkey on carbs and sugar. Lost 4kg already and the heartburn is way less. If I lose 15kg heartburn woyld be a distant memory.

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #4774 on: June 25, 2020, 08:16:49 pm »

Time will tell.

All over the USA the SA's quit and move aeound for better jobs or money.

What I believe is that your current employer will offer sponsored greencards to the loyal, hardworking staff in the not to distant future. I am hearing more and more of US employers(especially Ag) that gets fed up with the temp visa process.

Plus the employee usually has to commit 3 or 5 years to the employer.

Stick in there and pave the way for other honest amd hardworking boerkies!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4775 on: June 25, 2020, 09:01:47 pm »
Making progress :ricky:

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #4776 on: June 26, 2020, 07:11:12 am »

Now, that is a proper foshol.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4777 on: June 26, 2020, 01:33:58 pm »

Now, that is a proper foshol.

Yes Frank, ChrisL suggested I rather get one with a long handle to help save my back which I did but the long handle shovels scoops are too small for grain. I use that one only for mud. Since I have gained a bit of weight i find it a tad easier to do the shoveling when needed.
I hardly run anymore, between 5 and 10km a week due to working hours but I'm doing my best to maintain a fair fitness level.
Will post pictures soon, started taking the camera with me like originally intended and I love it, especially being able to see real time exposure (clear) through the electronic view finder.
Always missed the optical view finder of Nikon, but this Fuji Xt1 camera is as good as it gets and the size is compact enough to fit within  the camera bag into my lunch cooler box.

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #4778 on: June 26, 2020, 07:15:43 pm »

I hardly run anymore, between 5 and 10km a week due to working hours but I'm doing my best to maintain a fair fitness level.

Thanks for the regular updates, Tom. Obviously the running releases the endorphines and which I'm sure you miss.

Here's to hoping your loyalty pays off.   
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 05:50:57 am by frankmac »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #4779 on: June 28, 2020, 03:00:26 am »
You can buy a long handle at the Co-op, and fit it to the big shovel...  :deal:  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.