Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 438760 times)

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4820 on: July 02, 2020, 11:27:25 am »
The movies probably exaggerate the lifestyle but I think a truck driver in the US of A has always appealed to me. Something about the nomadic type lifestyle I suppose.

Then you get those ice road truckers. Hardcore those guys.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Nutters all of them!!!
Me I lust for a road train in the Outback behind me. :drif: :drif:

MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #4821 on: July 02, 2020, 01:23:57 pm »
@ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

Chris, het jy die hele reek Outback Truckers gevolg? Ek het elke episode op disk as jy sou belangstel... Groete Derek

Vergeet om te vra... hoe werk daai wiele sonder die middelste deel van die rim? Wat keer dat hy kan draai sodra dit op die hub gemonteer is? Is hull ebeter as die standaard rims, of is dit nou 'n "outydse" ding wat vervang is deur die stadnaard tipe rim?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:31:20 pm by TrailBlazer »
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4822 on: July 02, 2020, 01:56:27 pm »
 Outback Truckers

Yes almal gekyk, sommige sonder klank gekyk wel want dis beter om sommige van die manne nie te hoor nie!! ;D
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4823 on: July 02, 2020, 06:29:41 pm »
The sound travels down or up the river, so it carries far. I'm a Cummins fan, Foden with Jakes brake is music to my ears, but a Scania has a beat when going through the gears. I last drove a Foden back in '85 so a bit old school.  8)
Climbing out of Klein Windhoek over the neck towards town and the road south to RSA i used to wind the window down. Between the buildings my V8 was music to the ears!! :drif: :drif:

Sorry vir die highjack Tom.

Not at all, anything trucking, farming and whatever else goes - this is a lekker social thread.

This old big boy has got a Detroit motor, I also love Cummins especially in Peterbilt but when I drive the dry fertiliser tender in Fairbury Nebraska I get to experience the most beautiful engine note from a Freightliner with a Mercedes engine. Pure magic, and remember in the States you do not get slow moving trucs....for real. Here the speedlimit on all vehicles are the same and that to keep the trafic flow and also because of the vast distances to be covered. So I will load my 52 000 pounds beans and then set my speed control on 65 miles an hour  :)

Naturally, the engineer in me looked at those Silo's and said that's interesting.

So I googled and found Behlen big bins, I am sure built at a fraction of the cost of some of our big concrete silo instalations.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:34:30 pm by Welsh »
I got fired from my job last week, just because I asked "Smoking or Non-smoking" apparently it should be Burial or Cremation!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4824 on: July 03, 2020, 03:36:11 am »
I have done 244 miles on 55 gallon of fuel. American gallon is roughly 3.8 liters.
If my sum ads up I  get about 1.8 km per liter of diesel and that while hauling 55 000 pound of grain.
Not too bad right?

PS: Anothe South African has left for a farm in North Dakota.
We were 16, now we are 12 but the manager reassured us that all is well for those that stay.
I can also leave especially with my CDL but that will be a hectic short contract and then?
No I want to learn as much as I can, and this company and people were and still are good to us so I'm loyal to them.
Maybe in future I'll have to leave due to me back, but then I can work as a truck driver if I can manage to get a green card.
My biological dad was here, also in elevators but as I understood an engineer wrt the grain legs, tubes, gates and drags.
However; I got feedback that that would be of no help to me since he was here on a 10 year green card.
I have tried.
Green card is 2 ways possible and only the latter is a possibility for me:
1) Get married to a local girl.
2) Get a migration lawyer and pay usd 8k, and start with the dragged out (up to 3 year) process.

Trucking companies are now only allowed to use citizens or green card holders. I dont know why but maybe it is because of liabi9. Luckily us H2a Visa holders may drive to keep the agriculture sector alive and well.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4825 on: July 03, 2020, 04:01:47 am »
The sound travels down or up the river, so it carries far. I'm a Cummins fan, Foden with Jakes brake is music to my ears, but a Scania has a beat when going through the gears. I last drove a Foden back in '85 so a bit old school.  8)
Climbing out of Klein Windhoek over the neck towards town and the road south to RSA i used to wind the window down. Between the buildings my V8 was music to the ears!! :drif: :drif:

Sorry vir die highjack Tom.

Not at all, anything trucking, farming and whatever else goes - this is a lekker social thread.

This old big boy has got a Detroit motor, I also love Cummins especially in Peterbilt but when I drive the dry fertiliser tender in Fairbury Nebraska I get to experience the most beautiful engine note from a Freightliner with a Mercedes engine. Pure magic, and remember in the States you do not get slow moving trucs....for real. Here the speedlimit on all vehicles are the same and that to keep the trafic flow and also because of the vast distances to be covered. So I will load my 52 000 pounds beans and then set my speed control on 65 miles an hour  :)

Naturally, the engineer in me looked at those Silo's and said that's interesting.

So I googled and found Behlen big bins, I am sure built at a fraction of the cost of some of our big concrete silo instalations.  :biggrin:

A good observation and argument but no, the sement tube grain bins are the way to go for various reasons but mainly because of the hardware that needs to be installed and run at tremendous amounts of speed, torque and so on to be able to keep up with modern train loading shuttle.
Then you have a look at life expectancy, at corrotion and metal fatigue...extremely weather plays a very important role as well.
Lastly the ability to upgrade the system.
What I would like to share at some stage is how it looks below these cement tubes in the bootpit's.
Now that is a mechanical and electrical engineering dream!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 04:01:13 pm by Tom van Brits »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4826 on: July 03, 2020, 04:04:04 am »
And I forgot to mention safety of cement bins vs steel and other types (plastic)
You are looking at heat, at friction, lightning and static.....graindust is very dangerous.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4827 on: July 03, 2020, 07:42:05 am »
Accepted Tom, I was just looking at it from time and capex point of view. 👍
I got fired from my job last week, just because I asked "Smoking or Non-smoking" apparently it should be Burial or Cremation!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4828 on: July 03, 2020, 07:53:31 am »
Your attitude is right! :thumleft:
Loyalty is key, if you are then it is appreciated and you will be looked after.
Opportunists that jump around can get their fingers burnt easily.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4829 on: July 06, 2020, 05:17:56 am »
I was off the 3rd and 4th of July, as the citizens and visitors celebrated independence day.
I was invited to a SA family that immigrated to Beatrice in Nebraska years back along all other South Africans but unfortunately I had no way of getting there and back, so i stayed home and rested and reboot the system.
For 2 days i did nothing but sleep, read and a little gardening.
Today I was asked to go to Hanover to work in the place of the latest South African that ran away to a farmer in North Dakota.
We worked from 13H00 to 17H00 recieving weat and offloading the trucks and mixing in some pesticides dusting to get rid of all the insects.
I did run this morning a 5km stretch, 1st time in quite a while and then working this afternoon I felt a bit weird (almost sick) but think it's because of the heat and humidity which is rather high currently in high summer.

I was reading now and dozed off when I awoke with thundering fireworks and remembered that it was a show free to the public at the golf course where they shoot out usd 10k worth of fireworks. So I went out and looked, it went on for quite a while and was rather spectacular.  The last week it was fireworks every night in the neighborhood and I think it will continue for another week. Amazing how the people spent on fireworks, even some South African colleagues got some and it ain't cheap.
I just feel sorry for the poor dogs and other animals but maybe they are used to it....dont know. I recall our demining dogs were used to hard bangs and would still stay focused and do their work.....dont ask me how they were trained though!.

Anyway, seems the town has quiet down so off to bed. Hope you all have a great week  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4830 on: July 07, 2020, 04:20:23 pm »
How lucky I am hauling grain for a week already, I love the trucking aspect of this job and hope they will use me more often in this role.
Crops are doing great, farmers bringing in wheat daily now normally cutting in the afternoon due to moist and humidity is not your friend when cutting wheat as well.

We are now almost 5 months here, and I do love working here. Still need a new back though  :deal: :imaposer:

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4831 on: July 07, 2020, 05:15:09 pm »
Kry nou net vir jou n HONEY. Dan jou pampiere. As Chris ook pampiere kan kry dan kan jou dogter mos by julle kom bly. :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #4832 on: July 08, 2020, 03:47:33 am »
Kry nou net vir jou n HONEY. Dan jou pampiere. As Chris ook pampiere kan kry dan kan jou dogter mos by julle kom bly. :thumleft:

As Tom n honey kry, en hy kry n groenkaart, dan kan hy sy kinders sponsor vir die kaart ook.  :deal:

Net soos ek vir my seun kan sponsor as hy hier wil kom bly  :thumleft:

Direkte familie; ouers, gade, kinders.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: woody1

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4833 on: July 08, 2020, 04:44:38 am »
You guys are funny, for now I'm ok without a Honey  :deal:  :imaposer:
I just cant picture my life in a romantic relationship. I dont want to say it's not possible but I have no desire or need other than good ol friendships.
I come to love the States, actually I have always loved the United States and my career in the Middle east is testimonial to this.  :3some:
Western KS was not what I was expecting, then I visited the Zogs in Florida and got to see what I was hoping to find in the States and then North eastern Kansas and Nebraska and I'm sold.
Will love to stay here, even more than Florida and maybe because of the country lifestyle and whatever else i fail to put into words.
I will wait to hear what my employer says wrt the contract, if they do go ahead and extend next year I may get a lawyer and go that route....the tough part will be to cough up my usd 8k for the lawyer but that's the only option.

For now I am just in a good spot, doing one of the things I love most and that is riding truck daily. I take it a day at a time, but I'm blessed.   :thumleft:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 04:45:48 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4834 on: July 08, 2020, 07:15:02 am »
Honey I am home :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline BMWPE

• Port Elizabeth
« Reply #4835 on: July 09, 2020, 08:39:25 am »

He must first get one  ;D
Rallye

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4836 on: July 09, 2020, 09:00:11 am »

Boer soek n vrou, Kansas series!!! ;) :thumleft: :lol8:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4837 on: July 09, 2020, 01:31:53 pm »

Boer soek n vrou, Kansas series!!! ;) :thumleft: :lol8:

:imaposer: Grapgatte

The one thing I especially love about the Coop is yesterday as I pulled in to be loaded I hear something and ask the guy to hold.....got out and walk around the truck and yes that's a blowout!
Second one in 5 months only, and only because we also do a fair amount of gravel roads. Well yes, the nice thing is you just drive your truck to our own tyre repair shop or in this case remove the wheel and take it in.
Friends if you have never worked with truck tyres you cant imagine how hard that is on your body and back! So yes this is one big benefit opposed to DIY at the farmer last year!!  :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4838 on: July 09, 2020, 01:59:56 pm »
We had n big rainstorm early morning in Marysville....dis is hoe it looks in my street, neighbors  :o

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #4839 on: July 10, 2020, 01:05:55 pm »
hectic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z