Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 468184 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4880 on: September 08, 2020, 09:59:13 pm »
Hello Wild dog friends

Thought I log in to see what's news, been a while.

A rainy day and I am mostly in the cab of the truck moving grain literally a few feet from one spout to a pit. This to organize the bin space all for making space for harvest season which has started albeit slow due to the rain.
Our first seasonal corn came in Saturday morning with a moist content of 13 (good) and around yield of about 170bushel per acre. (A bushel is around 25kg)

Thanks for all the messages wrt my late mom.

I have been privileged to do quite a bit of trucking (a lot - various big semi's)
However, sadly my back has become worse and I am a bit worried and not much I can do about it other than those local anesthetic patches that I get at the pharmacy and apply every night which get me through the night.
Dec I'll get it checked out and that may dictate weather I'm fit to continue or not.
I do like this company, the work and the people.
The environment,  the almost everything but Xpat was spit on when he remarked I'm probably 10years to old for what I'm doing.
Wrestling with the latches on top of the grain train for prolonged hours doesn't help, we sometimes see long hours.
I also stopped running, my back would have no more.
Did try cycling, it is ok to some extend.

Anyways, I have so much to be grateful for and I'm no grumpy old man, maybe even not yet an old man although I'm a high milage example of the 60's  :laughing4:

Cheers for now
Tom

PS: Hunting season open soon, and there is a lot of deer around, I could easily photograph this one with only a 35manual focus lens.
Also been to a tractor pull competition, that was rather entertaining.

The following users thanked this post: Abre

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #4881 on: September 08, 2020, 10:33:17 pm »
 :thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4882 on: September 09, 2020, 06:55:37 am »
Nou ja. Weer tyd vir lekker FOTO kuier uit Kansas :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4883 on: September 09, 2020, 07:00:41 am »
Howzit Tom. Nice to see you back

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #4884 on: September 09, 2020, 09:45:48 am »
Dis lekker om jou weer hier te sien Tom  :thumleft:

Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1983 Honda XL600R

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4885 on: September 09, 2020, 01:04:57 pm »
I see a lot less rattle snakes this year, and I prefer taking the gravel road to and from work which is a 25 minute drive.
When I do I quickly stop to try and take a few pictures, and shortly after acquiring an all manual 35mm Meike lens for my camera I found one. That was rather interesting trying to nail focus while this big boy kept on going to the other side of the road.
I dont often use this 35mm focal lens distance and decided to buy the cheap manual focus lens for only $80. Now it's one of my favorites; pretty sharp and like the oldschool feel.

A little while ago (maybe 2 weeks) all our grain workers had to do a examination which they turned into a competition and called the "2020 Harvest Rodeo". I was also entered and prepared, quite nervous on the day and the whole examination takes a couple of hours with different simulation stations and one classroom written test. It involved building rope pulley systems (3 to 1 Z rig) and all sorts of other disciplines like confined space entries (correct execution, paperwork, setup and test of air monitors and many more) and even grain grading.
I was overwhelmed when I learned that I was one only a handful out of a huge group that wrote being tested for 2 weeks as a top scorer which is 500/500.
Quite a humble experience and coming Friday the overall winning branch and us individual top scorers will be awarded with a special dine (lunch) and prices.
No idea what it is, probably a voucher of some sort but well see. Just an honour to have made it this far, never would have thought  :)

Anyway, today loading a corn train in the rain and the temp came down to the lower 40s farenheit.
Not much left of summer, but just another 3 months and well be heading home to SA.

Here 2 pictures of the rattle snake.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4886 on: September 09, 2020, 01:11:30 pm »
With that achievement they will want to get rid of you.....you are better than some managers :imaposer:
Well done

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4887 on: September 09, 2020, 01:19:35 pm »
Well done Tom and very glad to hear from you again.
The back does not take the age so well.
I only run when chasing somebody and even cycling is out!
I have to change my position every few minutes to be able to drive long distances?
We are not getting younger, but you are doing well!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline BMWPE

• Port Elizabeth
« Reply #4888 on: September 09, 2020, 06:49:11 pm »
Glad to see you back  :thumleft:
I did miss your posts
Congrats on the pass well done

looking forward to what's to come
Rallye

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #4889 on: September 09, 2020, 08:38:23 pm »
Congrats on acing the test, Tom! You make us all feel proud of you!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4890 on: September 10, 2020, 02:48:32 am »
Thank you all to the kind replies on the thread, it is special and appreciated.  :3some:

Now we really had weird weather, or still having since Sunday we were still in the mid 90's (over 35 degrees Celsius and humid) and Monday it cooked down a bit but Teasday a cold front hit us and we saw 6degrees Celcius (lower 40's) and rain.
In Denver Colorado to our west it snowed 6 inches!

So today we loaded a 110 car grain train with corn in the cold wet weather and one of the Amercans that became my best friend here by name Dan decided to pass down his old Train loading jacket which is fairly warm and waterproof. He got a new one last year. Must ad this jacket is 100%, there is nothing wrong and should last atleast another 5 plus years.
Much better than my raincoat which kept me dry but not warm.

I have tried to take a couple of pictures from the top of the elevators but it was raining and I could not really get a good composition but still would be interesting for your guys I'm sure. Pardon me for not attaching it yet but I'm just wasted and need a warm shower and bed now! :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4891 on: September 10, 2020, 02:50:19 am »
Ps: A screenshot of the nice traincrew jacket :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4892 on: September 10, 2020, 05:14:35 am »
I had to do washing and thought to have a look at the pictures.
Nothing special due to the rain and time constraint for a proper composition but you'll get the idea.

1: The other day in Nebraska the swing auger gave some issues and this is what I like, a workable compromise by running the grain into the graincart through the swing auger and then in the truck's hoppers.

2: Sometimes it can get rather nasty, slight drizzle and the grain dust makes a mess on the windshield - so one of the trucker ladies taught me to fill your window washer container with windowlene and it works a charm! (Wie van julle het grootgeword waar die mense die water wat op die ruit spuit die 'kat' noem?...en hoekom het ek altyd gewonder  ??? )

3: The train-track is oval and here you can see both ends, we were almost halfway at this stage.

And a couple more. These grain tubes I'm standing on is realy huge en tall, I cant recall the exact hight but our newest tube has a capacity of 860 000 bushels - we can load 2 x trains with 110 cars, each grain car takes 4 x semi - truckloads (a lot) and a total of 440 000bushels (Bushel is roughly KG25 on corn)

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #4893 on: September 10, 2020, 06:32:01 am »
Thanks for the piccies, Tom!  Beautiful view from on top of the silo (world)! When you're back in ZA you can sell that jacket for a month's pay to @2StrokeDan ...  ;)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4894 on: September 10, 2020, 01:59:30 pm »
Thanks for the piccies, Tom!  Beautiful view from on top of the silo (world)! When you're back in ZA you can sell that jacket for a month's pay to @2StrokeDan ...  ;)

:spitcoffee: Good idea, but he would like a Yamaha jacket  :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4895 on: September 11, 2020, 04:22:10 am »
Tomorrow is the first working day this year where I'll be on the clock (earning money) and not working  8)
Dan was my partner; in some of the disciplines we were tested in a group of 2 and I could choose a work buddy to go with and it was obvious.
Dan is the grain sup at Frankfort south, the other elevator about half a mile south of our location which is known as Frankfort shuttle.
We have one manager (my boss - great man) but Dan is like said in charge of the grain management at the Southern location.
Also I know that if it was not for him, and our preperation and 'winining team attetude' I wouldnt have been a top scorer.
What really makes me excited is that we were many people participating, I do not have numbers but well over a hundred and the remaining South Africans are only 11 and out of this little group 2 came out tops and this is a completely new field to us. Maybe we had a bit of beginners luck as well.
Admittedly we are no way near the standard of these guys when it comes to the real deal, problem solving and so on. I think it takes about 2 to 3 years to really know the ins and out of grain work, grain elevators and then the bit of agronomy which we are involved with. However; agronomy is another ball game and the main men are all graduates of KState University. That is serious next level education in the agri sector.
 :thumleft:

I'll update with (hope) a picture - the lunch and price giving is at the HQ at Dorchester Nebraska, that is about just under 2 hours from Frankfort Kansas.

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #4896 on: September 11, 2020, 06:50:04 am »
Well done, Tom.

We're proud of you.  :thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4897 on: September 11, 2020, 06:55:33 am »
And you do not even have to cook dinner.....bargain :laughing4:

Offline Skim

« Reply #4898 on: September 11, 2020, 07:21:34 am »
Well done Tom

Great to hear(see) from you again!

All the best for the rest of the trip - hope your back keep up.
Skim

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4899 on: September 11, 2020, 10:04:17 am »
 the lunch and price giving is at the HQ at Dorchester Nebraska,

Damn pity you have a easy name and surname for the Yanks to call out when collecting your prize, you should have been Jacobus Stefanus janse van Vuuren of so iets om die tonge te laat knoop!! ;) :lol8:
Geniet die lunch Tom. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za