Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A Strong Back: The Adventures of Tom Mc Sherry  (Read 496433 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #5540 on: January 26, 2021, 05:28:31 pm »
:xxbah: Not good news, the borders are closed and we are stuck at home  :-[
So .any people are affected and our biggest fear is that we will be replaced since it's only 18 positions
Many other Countries where farmworkers are coming from are open.
One thing I have learned in live; no one is irreplaceable  :3some:

I heard it this morning and wanted to post it here but did not have the guts.   :eek7: 

Sterkte vir jou Tom, ek glo dit kan dalk verander, ek hou duime en tone vas vir jou part.   :deal: :thumleft:

Dankie oom Vis, die ding slat ons hard. Net sodra jy op is, is jy weer af...pok  :'(

Hoping that the situation can change quickly and that you will still keep your spot. If not I am sure another great opportunity will show itself  :thumleft: , things have a funny way of working out.

Thanks Mox  :thumleft:

Sterkte Tom!

Dankie BigEd  :thumleft:
DÍmmit dis slegte nuss, sterkte Tom, ek sal duim vas hou iets val oop hier totdat jy weer kan gaan.
Dalk lorrie ry binnelands?

Tom gaan klop aan by Leon van Vuuren transport in Noordwes. Bitter netjiese setup en ek hoor daai man kyk na sy mense wat na hom kyk. Dalk het hy n pos oop.

Dankie Chris, maar ek het net kode 11 in Suid Afrika en my Pdp het laasjaar verval.
Om n kode 14 in SA te probeer kry sal my niks minder as 6 maande vat indien nie langer agv die wag periods
Brits se lisensie afdeling  maak eers later in Feb oop met n skeleton staff
Pdp 2 jaar gelede moes ek 2 keer van 5am die oggend toustaan. 1e dag nie gehelp, probeer volgende dag en kom deur.
Kry sms 6 weke later en staan tou, weer eers op dag 2 gehelp
Ek het n bietjie spaargeld, el sal mooi kyk daarna en kyk of ek hier iets kan kry om te doen......ek ken n Boer wat my dalk mag gebruik in die veld.
As julle van so iets hoor laat weet gerus asseblief.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5541 on: January 26, 2021, 05:34:34 pm »
Let me just repeat this in English  :)

I don't know how long this closed border thing will last, but if anybody know of a job anywhere in South Africa where I can help; farmwork, guest house, maintenance, look after property (security) or whatever please let me know.

Online TeeJay

« Reply #5542 on: January 26, 2021, 06:00:03 pm »
Ai Tom - jammer om dit te hoor man. Ek hoop dinge werk uit. Sal ore oophou.
Ja/Nee

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5543 on: January 26, 2021, 08:49:14 pm »
Ai Tom - jammer om dit te hoor man. Ek hoop dinge werk uit. Sal ore oophou.

Dankie mater!  :thumleft:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #5544 on: January 26, 2021, 09:07:36 pm »
How about Health and Safety Officer jobs? I think now with Covid raging there may be quite a demand for somebody to manage H&S compliance in the organization. I know in the bank I work in there are teams of people constantly updating guidelines, office set-up (plastic dividers in offices, policies, etc.). You could leverage your medical background while at the same time build something more permanent and stable for yourself. Definitely more pragmatic solution than farming job at which anybody can replace you at the drop of the hat.

Here is result of quick search on Google:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00qdiMg09HyNeg3RIMPVH__L77IJw:1611687973530&ei=JWgQYOm3H6LDxgOZkKDQBQ&q=health+and+safety+jobs&oq=health&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAxgAMg4IABCxAxCDARDJAxCRAjIFCAAQkgMyBQgAEJIDMgUIABCRAjIHCAAQsQMQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzoECCMQJzoICAAQsQMQgwE6CAguEMcBEKMCOgoILhDHARCvARAnOgUILhCRAjoKCC4QxwEQowIQQzoCCC46DgguELEDEIMBEMcBEKMCOgsILhDHARCvARCRAjoICAAQyQMQkQI6BQgAELEDOgIIADoECAAQCjoFCAAQyQM6BwgAEMkDEEM6CggAELEDEIMBEAo6BwgAELEDEApQySZYmE9g2GtoBHACeACAAZkEiAGZHZIBCTItMS41LjMuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=psy-ab&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0jKPQpbruAhVTt3EKHUn2B7YQudcGKAJ6BAgEECg&sxsrf=ALeKk00Cl3jEoe7XQQKnIuU0Npfg-RGx3w:1611687988356#htivrt=jobs&htidocid=dqAHlrXxuQ_Lv-_nAAAAAA%3D%3D&fpstate=tldetail
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:27:31 pm by Xpat »

The following users thanked this post: Offshore, Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5546 on: January 26, 2021, 09:18:43 pm »

Offline Xpat

« Reply #5547 on: January 26, 2021, 09:24:36 pm »
Maybe also look at Facility management jobs. Seems close enough to your camp manager / maintenance preference and you can get some in Gauteng instead of some remote site. Could give you the stability you need:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00qdiMg09HyNeg3RIMPVH__L77IJw:1611687973530&ei=JWgQYOm3H6LDxgOZkKDQBQ&q=facilities+management+jobs&oq=health&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAxgAMg4IABCxAxCDARDJAxCRAjIFCAAQkgMyBQgAEJIDMgUIABCRAjIHCAAQsQMQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzoECCMQJzoICAAQsQMQgwE6CAguEMcBEKMCOgoILhDHARCvARAnOgUILhCRAjoKCC4QxwEQowIQQzoCCC46DgguELEDEIMBEMcBEKMCOgsILhDHARCvARCRAjoICAAQyQMQkQI6BQgAELEDOgIIADoECAAQCjoFCAAQyQM6BwgAEMkDEEM6CggAELEDEIMBEAo6BwgAELEDEApQySZYmE9g2GtoBHACeACAAZkEiAGZHZIBCTItMS41LjMuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=psy-ab&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0jKPQpbruAhVTt3EKHUn2B7YQudcGKAJ6BAgEECg&sxsrf=ALeKk00Cl3jEoe7XQQKnIuU0Npfg-RGx3w:1611687988356#fpstate=tldetail&htivrt=jobs&htidocid=3aCqxCG7N5bWUQkWAAAAAA%3D%3D

I would love to do Facility management, and have given it some thought back in 2013 when I was working as a bike medic for ER24/Sanral.
Even applied there in Midrand for a position but never heard back, I should have followed up on that.
That is something that would suit me fine, thanks for the header Martin  :thumleft:

Well try not to give up on the first fail. Send your CV to all of those that make remotely sense (i.e. you can come up with reasonable sales pitch for yourself). And then persevere - you have to keep trying. But leave that excessive humbleness you are so hung up on at home. Not saying you shoul lie or boast unnecessarily, but think hard about why you believe you are good candidate for those jobs and then formulate it into attractive proposition the best you can. And then present yourself and your pitch with as much confidence as you can muster - leave the shyness and humbleness behind, that is off-putting for any potential employer.

You are not looking for charity (nobody likes that), but rather proudly offering your services based on extensive experience you have.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:26:39 pm by Xpat »

The following users thanked this post: BullSmit, Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5548 on: January 26, 2021, 09:55:18 pm »
Maybe also look at Facility management jobs. Seems close enough to your camp manager / maintenance preference and you can get some in Gauteng instead of some remote site. Could give you the stability you need:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00qdiMg09HyNeg3RIMPVH__L77IJw:1611687973530&ei=JWgQYOm3H6LDxgOZkKDQBQ&q=facilities+management+jobs&oq=health&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAxgAMg4IABCxAxCDARDJAxCRAjIFCAAQkgMyBQgAEJIDMgUIABCRAjIHCAAQsQMQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzoECCMQJzoICAAQsQMQgwE6CAguEMcBEKMCOgoILhDHARCvARAnOgUILhCRAjoKCC4QxwEQowIQQzoCCC46DgguELEDEIMBEMcBEKMCOgsILhDHARCvARCRAjoICAAQyQMQkQI6BQgAELEDOgIIADoECAAQCjoFCAAQyQM6BwgAEMkDEEM6CggAELEDEIMBEAo6BwgAELEDEApQySZYmE9g2GtoBHACeACAAZkEiAGZHZIBCTItMS41LjMuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=psy-ab&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0jKPQpbruAhVTt3EKHUn2B7YQudcGKAJ6BAgEECg&sxsrf=ALeKk00Cl3jEoe7XQQKnIuU0Npfg-RGx3w:1611687988356#fpstate=tldetail&htivrt=jobs&htidocid=3aCqxCG7N5bWUQkWAAAAAA%3D%3D

I would love to do Facility management, and have given it some thought back in 2013 when I was working as a bike medic for ER24/Sanral.
Even applied there in Midrand for a position but never heard back, I should have followed up on that.
That is something that would suit me fine, thanks for the header Martin  :thumleft:

Well try not to give up on the first fail. Send your CV to all of those that make remotely sense (i.e. you can come up with reasonable sales pitch for yourself). And then persevere - you have to keep trying. But leave that excessive humbleness you are so hung up on at home. Not saying you shoul lie or boast unnecessarily, but think hard about why you believe you are good candidate for those jobs and then formulate it into attractive proposition the best you can. And then present yourself and your pitch with as much confidence as you can muster - leave the shyness and humbleness behind, that is off-putting for any potential employer.

You are not looking for charity (nobody likes that), but rather proudly offering your services based on extensive experience you have.

Very good advice  :thumleft:

Online Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #5549 on: January 27, 2021, 06:52:17 am »
Tom, sterkte

In Madagaskar is die grens nou al "vir ewig" toe. JA daar was n klomp repatriation flights die kant toe en daai kant toe. Maar amptelik is die grense toe.

MAAR daar is steeds gereeld mense wat die land wettig binnekom en verlaat. Op een of ander manier kwalifiseer hulle as essential mense, bv die ambassade se personeel, mense wat by NGO;s werk (hulle kom en gaan) spesialiste op die myne ens ens ens

My raaiskoot is dat dieselfde ook in die VSA gaan gebeur. Wie gaan die werk doen as julle nie opdaag nie? Gaan hulle al daai koring mielies en wie weet wat nog op die velde laat vrot en dan vrek almal van die honger? Obviously nie!

En volg @Xpat se raad ook. Dis makliker om te bedank en VSA toe te vlieg as om sonder werk te sit omdat jy nie probeer het nie!

Sterkte!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Offline Skim

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5550 on: January 27, 2021, 08:02:37 am »
Tom

Hang in there - jy is 'n inspirasie vir baie . Ons glo daar sal uitkoms wees.

Skim

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Online Bike_Buddies

« Reply #5551 on: January 27, 2021, 08:12:56 am »
@Tom van Brits , as hul wel jou VISA goedkeur, kan jy nie vlieg na n land waar jy kan gaan kwarentyn vir x-dae en dan van daaraf weer vlieg ?

Of laat hul sumier nie SA burgers in VSA toe nie ?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5552 on: January 27, 2021, 08:18:08 am »
Good morning Wd's

As Blou Zebustates there are some essential service people that still moves overseas we also got e-mails today reminding us that we have contracts and that the employers will now go to the various state Senetors to make a plea for H2A Agricultural workers.
I have also come across the attached this morning on our agencies fb page

Main thing he is that I don't want to waste anybody's time, I am a very (understatement) loyal person and my first choice at this stage will be to go back to the States because the company really made great effort in looking after us.
Furthermore I was extremely lucky to get to work under the best management ever (in my life) and a super amazing facility by name Farmers Coop Frankfort Kansas.

If there is one thing I can and will  ever do is wasting someone else's time, hence me asking for work which may be temporary.

That being said, my CV is going out today with a cover letter that will explain the situation briefly to a potential new employer, and if we are let off the hook by the agency & Coop because of no successful negotiations to get us to the States I'll commit 100% and become just as loyal to the new employer

I should maybe just wait it out another 3 weeks since we were supposed to fly around the 15th of February.
If there remains an exemption after my contract start day (15 Feb) I will commit fully to whoever takes me on board.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5553 on: January 27, 2021, 08:21:36 am »
Tom

Hang in there - jy is 'n inspirasie vir baie . Ons glo daar sal uitkoms wees.

Thank you sir  :thumleft:

@Tom van Brits , as hul wel jou VISA goedkeur, kan jy nie vlieg na n land waar jy kan gaan kwarentyn vir x-dae en dan van daaraf weer vlieg ?

Of laat hul sumier nie SA burgers in VSA toe nie ?

Sadly not because of the possibility that we may get stuck.
Say for example we go to the Middle east somewhere and quarantine 14days; in this period there may be another outbreak or border closure and may may get stuck in transit.
So it is not an option - it was discussed by the agents.

Online Ri

« Reply #5554 on: January 27, 2021, 04:18:02 pm »
Tom, you need to sort out your back as best as you can during this time, as well. When you reach Kansas, you need to have iron abs :violent1:

All the best with the Co-op, I'm pretty sure they'll make a plan to get you guys in somehow.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5555 on: January 27, 2021, 04:53:25 pm »
Tom, you need to sort out your back as best as you can during this time, as well. When you reach Kansas, you need to have iron abs :violent1:

All the best with the Co-op, I'm pretty sure they'll make a plan to get you guys in somehow.

Thanks Ri, I am working very hard with the fisio and gym sessions every other day.
My fitness is improving and I can see progress  :thumleft:

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #5556 on: January 27, 2021, 04:59:03 pm »
ou Tom, gebruik nou hierdie tyd om ordentlik van daai 'vriendinne' van jou afskeid te neem...  mens kannie lock and loaded the VSA binnegaan nie... :biggrin:

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #5557 on: January 27, 2021, 05:03:08 pm »
Tom ek dink jy en die ander Co-op manne moet Mexiko toe vlieg en dan gaan klim julle in een van die leŽ mielie treine wat terug gaan Kansas toe. Julle beter net uitklim voor hulle weer vol pomp!! ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5558 on: January 27, 2021, 05:39:16 pm »
ou Tom, gebruik nou hierdie tyd om ordentlik van daai 'vriendinne' van jou afskeid te neem...  mens kannie lock and loaded the VSA binnegaan nie... :biggrin:

:spitcoffee:

Tom ek dink jy en die ander Co-op manne moet Mexiko toe vlieg en dan gaan klim julle in een van die leŽ mielie treine wat terug gaan Kansas toe. Julle beter net uitklim voor hulle weer vol pomp!! ;) :lol8:

Chris I kid you not, we have found clothes and empty wraps and water bottles on some of them grain trains doing the Mexico and South American loop.
Never inside though, most of the hoppers it is impossible to climb out without a rope or help. They are really deep!!
Don't start talking about grain submerge risks....pok  :patch:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5559 on: January 27, 2021, 09:00:59 pm »
Normally fb memories are annoying, maybe because it's in the past and sometimes one was at another level of maturity.
Sometimes it makes one smile like back in the day when it was a tradition to dress up for birthday parties.
Most expedition members are young, some are students still working on some research so one got to be a team player and 'act young '
We had some interesting themes throughout the years the last 3 expeditions I got more involved baking cakes and doing a bit of catering.
Sometimes nice freshly caught fish and lobster, even a lobster salad and then leg of lamb or pork.
I am not a party pooper but knew when to leave, a medic can easily loose reputation.
However; this picture of a pirate on Gough popped up today and brought a big smile to my face  :lol8: