Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 313817 times)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2014, 03:54:54 pm »
Very interesting reading Tom!... how cold does it get there? Can the chopper still fly when it gets too cold? I reckon the wind must be a factor as well...?

Gough is not really very cold. Only in Winter and up in the mountains where 3 expedition members already died due to exposure.

Helicopters dont like too much wind and they dont like gusts which is common, so we got great pilots to compesate. Steady wind always welcome as that helps with the lift and cold weather actually good with regards to air density.

The rain is a challange as well as high seas. Very hard to land on the aft if the swell is more than 3 meters.

All in all a few challanges like the diesel pump from ship to shore. I will update in due course but we use fire hoses (65mm) floating on the sea water and we pump 300 000 liter in roughly 6 hours

:thumleft:

Offline DCR

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2014, 04:10:06 pm »
Interesting stuff!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2014, 02:55:16 pm »
 :thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »
Is julle al op Tristan ?

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2014, 03:01:48 pm »
 ;D

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2014, 03:56:37 pm »
Yes we got here at 3 am and started to fly passangers over at 8am. We are offloading now and should start sailing first light tomorrow to Inaccesable Island where we will drop reacerchers with 3 week food supply with hellicopter and then sail down past Nightingale to Gough. Friday morning we Should reach Gough and I will fly over as part of the inspection crew. We will do the inspection and other formalities and then fly the rest of the team over and the take over personnel which makes a total of close to 40 ....hectic 3 weeks lies ahead with rope work around the cliffs to try and eradicate alien plant species etc. After that 3 weeks life at Gough should start! :)

Offline Jondu

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »
Sub

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2014, 08:58:59 pm »
Now that is another kind of job . . .  :deal:

Not pushing a pen around like me.  ;D

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline Martyn

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2014, 05:36:27 am »
 :sip:
Artifical Intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

Why arn't YOU an Organ, Blood, Bone Marrow or Platelet Donor? That is Saving Lives!!!
www.odf.org.za www.sanbs.org.za www.sunflowerfund.org.za

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2014, 09:44:05 am »
Baie interessant TVB ..............  :thumleft:
Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2014, 10:01:19 am »
Lyk my julle kon nie die keer afklim en bietjie rondloop op Tristan nie... Pity

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2014, 10:58:52 am »
Lyk my julle kon nie die keer afklim en bietjie rondloop op Tristan nie... Pity

Nope, unfortunately always someone to spoil the fun and slowly traditions are fading. There were liability issues, flying hours....etc. Since the reverant got his leg between the rope ladder of the ship and got injured the passanger barge was stopped. Now the issue is flying hours and when we organised a trip on the barge it was turned down due to liability so we were promised that on the return trip we'll be able to get off and even spent a night if we wanted to. The whole team wants that Teistan stamp in their passports so I know they will be true to their word next year. I would love to put my feet down on Tristan da Cunha again and to walk through the historic town of 'Edenburg of the seven seas'

Woke up last nigh, stormy weather. We will not be able to offload some more cargo, swell is way to high. So we will soon sail to Nightinghale only 30km away from Tristan. Interesting fact, Tristan, Nightingale and Inaccesable Islands were never linked. The seabed at deepest is 10 000M deep between Tristan and Nightingale. The South Atlantic ocean is the deepest in the world. We have picked up sensors on the way that was measuring sea temp, sea stream speed and direction and water samples at 4500 up to 5600m deep!

The sealife is something real special as we have seen varios dolphins, pots up to a 100 and also 'blue shark' and flying fish (wow) as well as various whales. The birdlife so far: giant petroll, tristan Albatross, Molly's (yellow nose albatross) as well as my favourate 'Sooty Albatross' and obviously Scuas and I was lucky to spot some 'Kingbird' (Noddy). Have not seen many shearwaters but they will entertain us on gough though!

Quite like the Rockhopper penguins as well :) and not too crazy about the Tropicalis fur seals....too aggresive when I fis ;)

Online dirtyXT

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2014, 11:51:23 am »
 :thumleft: ok so im going to live through you vicariously from now on! keep us up to date!
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - current

Online BLK

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2014, 12:09:29 pm »
Thks for the updates,appreciate the news

go well  :)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2014, 02:02:01 pm »
We have just reached Inaccesable Island. We will now put two birdlife reacerches down on the island with hellicopter along with 3 young men from Tristan da Cunha island to help take care of them, catch and prepare fresh fish and 3 weeks later the SA Agulhas will come and pick them up again on the return trip

Offline DCR

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2014, 02:06:29 pm »
Interesting fact, Tristan, Nightingale and Inaccesable Islands were never linked. The seabed at deepest is 10 000M deep between Tristan and Nightingale. The South Atlantic ocean is the deepest in the world. We have picked up sensors on the way that was measuring sea temp, sea stream speed and direction and water samples at 4500 up to 5600m deep!

Wow, those islands are very, very high peaks then!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2014, 04:32:57 pm »
Yes very deep indeed, it's an Atlantic ridge hot spot. Waters around 4000m deep plus

We are now lying next to 'Honeymoon Island' or rather Nightingale. Honeymoon Island because the Tristanians went here on Honeymoon after marrying for a week or two. Unfortunately the tradition died as the longboats also died a still death with the arrival of ribs and outboard motors

I need to go up to the Monkey deck now to do some 'spotting' of seabirds etc. Oh man, this is Heaven I'm sure!!

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2014, 04:57:43 pm »
Lucky bugger!

Please keep posting, would so like to do this, really enjoying watching things progress like this  :thumleft:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2014, 05:07:40 pm »
 :sip: Thanks, ek like dit, en sal op check. :3some:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2014, 06:06:06 pm »
If you can zoom in, unfortunately only cellphone picture and would love to sent or post proper pictures from the Island as many things happened today. Anyway, the huts should be visible as well as the famous landing rock. We could not fly, briefly left the deck and landed again. The winds are just to strong and buffeting against the island making dangerous flying conditions. We used a ruber duck, got great photos but on the slr camera. Will catch up while at Gough after take over