Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 323666 times)

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2014, 03:00:22 pm »
Wow long stint, I was under the impression the stays were shorter. Either way hope you have a good time.
 I am keen to try and still get to Tristan ,my folks spent a while there and my brother and sister were born there.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2014, 06:49:36 pm »
Wow long stint, I was under the impression the stays were shorter. Either way hope you have a good time.
 I am keen to try and still get to Tristan ,my folks spent a while there and my brother and sister were born there.

A Tourist return trip to Tristan da Cunha and back (3 wEeks later) will set you back R9 000 and its like a hotel nowadays. However, the Island work on Sterling and you will have to neg a place to stay for 3 weeks+. You will also have to book a year in advance as there are only a number of seats available and the Tristanians obviously get priority. On this trip I have identified around 6 tourists and 3 of them already had connections to the Island. The 2 sisters both in there 50's are going down to see where there father met his second wife (Tristanian) and their half sister unfortunately died years back on the way to CT on the ship. Their father was an old and famous captain, still alive but retired.
Many interesting stories.
We had a big swell throughout the day and lost sat internet, its back now but I see the sea is gradually picking up now.....huge swells but this ship handles it better in a way than the old Aghulhas. Not a lot of side ways roll but more (afrikaans) 'wipplank' . Significantly wider and longer than the old ship, I got lost already a few times and do love to spent time on the Piip deck (aft deck). Tomorrow I will spent some time on the monkey deck as we will (should) start seeing some wandering Albatrosses and more sealife. Saw a huge dolphyn pit today and yesterday 2 whales

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:46 am »
Fantastic these day's.... Internet on the ship...
Here he is on his way... nice calm seas looks like.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 12:11:36 pm »
Ja internet is baie stadig en onmoontlik om n foto te laai, maar whatsapp stuur n foto redelik maklik en dan gooi Woody1 hom hier vir ons! :) Baie dankie
Gisteraand bietjie slegte sideways swell gehad en was amper 'groen' maar vandag weer heel 'a ok'! Pragtige dag. More begin die lesings op die skip, environmental, boot wash cermony ens. Ook Helicopter breefings en bietjie beplanning. Man dis lekker, die hellicoper operations, load and backloading is nogal intens maar baie spesiaal. Regte ou skool dissipline, min margin for error

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 02:57:39 pm »
TVB

Lig ons/my bietjie in oor die helikopter operasie! Maatskappy, tipe helikopter en bemanning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2014, 06:10:30 pm »
TVB

Lig ons/my bietjie in oor die helikopter operasie! Maatskappy, tipe helikopter en bemanning.

We used the old SA airforce prior 1995. Shotly after that got privatised but still used ex SAA pilots like legendary Martin and Andre stoebel. They used Pumas in the old days and the chopper would not fit into the helicopter hanger and got strapped to the heli dec, blades removed to be installed a day prior arrival at the islands or Arctic. The firs company if my memory serves me right to start with helicopter operations was CHC (Canadian helicopter company) and they only used 2 x Bell 212's (diff between 210 used in vietnam and 212 is an extra motor and more lifting capacity - 1,3 tons to a max if you get constand wind of 1.8 but that was pushing the limits at around 110 persent)

The bell 210 fitted in the hangars on the ship x 2 without removing the rotor blades.

Then we got Titan aviation and they used the Comoff. It has no tail rotor and 2 huge counter rotating rotor blades. Heavy on fuel and was strapped to the deck. Removed the blades as well. Max lifting capacity was 5000 tons but it was very unpopular by the huge down draft and burned a lot of fuel. It was slinging 2 x contauners at a time and the guys was a bit more under pressure, what made matters worse was a very tight german manager who was about to go on pension but never got that far and always pushed for another expedition. He was however good and old school and I actually got to like him in a way. Maybe becauise I was ex military as well.

Then to my supprise as I was waiting for Titans huge Comoff to land on the ship (it was used by the Russians to launch torpidos in the sea) I got informed that another company took over and that we are back on track with 2 x bell 212's. I was almost jumping up and down from exitement as I really am keen on these choppers. You don't need that long sling and of course the best or one of the best flight engineers of all times, the legendary John Brittain was on board...yeah!!! We also done the famous yacht rescue together back in 2007 and I was so happy to see the old bugger I wasn't sure should I hug him or salute the huge bugger!!

So ye, we are sorted and one hell of a crew. Except for John Britton and Angelo (the ground signaler) I don't know any other by name and haert yet but we will soon strat with meetings and I am obviously working with them in close relation/operation as I will be the groundsman doing the signalling on the Island making sure every container lands at the right store/kitchen/workshop to be unpacked. Each container has got a name/number which we then will correspond on the list and confirm palcement. Some stuff get rather slinged in webbing like the new John Deere generator I believe.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2014, 07:06:53 pm »
Oh, forgot to mention: STARLITE is the new company, and I will report in due course about their performance with a couple of pictures although It might take a while. You guys will have to wait maybe a few weeks. Woody1 was also team leader and he will confirm that there is a lot of pressure on the TL during the take over. Now I also got a reputation of being the most successfull snoek fisherman and already everyone is putting a lot of pressure on me for supplying fresh snoek for 40 people once a week on the island as well. I will see long days, but you will not hear any complains as I am working for a good salary for a change and out in heaven. This is the break I have been praying for, and this is going to be one hell of a good year in my history of existance :)

Thanks for all of you out there and please, next year when we finally anchor back in SA we need to meet for a beer with a couple of dogs before I make my way inland. For now I don't even want to think about going back....I just want to tackle this expedition and make the most out of it. I will concider writing a book this year as well, not that I would regard myself as a writer at all but who knows ???

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2014, 07:19:17 pm »
sub
Where are my shorts??

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2014, 06:20:40 am »
 :sip:
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Online 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2014, 06:31:28 am »
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2014, 08:04:18 am »
Dankie vir al die info!

Ons wag in spanning op die volgende Hoofstuk!

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Gremlin

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Go big or go home!
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2014, 07:17:40 am »
Hello tvb! My wife isabelle says hello.. Her oceanography team are onboard.. But she remembers you and cameron from the 2007cowie dancer yacht rescue!! Have a great year at gough and sort the island out.. She will be onboard next year to pick you up!
XT660Z
Vespa 300GTS
XT500 - sold

Offline BFG

• Ride- crash-fix-repeat
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2014, 09:55:07 am »
What an adventure. All the best for the year ahead :thumleft:

Offline DirtCopper

• Bikers have more fun than people
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • TAKE ME TO YOUR DEALER
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2014, 10:54:54 am »
Die SHERIFF van Groothond

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2014, 11:39:39 am »
En nou moet ek hier op droe land op kantoor sit en wag vir die volgende update! :snorting:
Jy's reg - dit is die kans van 'n lewe!
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2014, 11:46:15 am »
 :peepwall:

Offline AJALP

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2014, 12:47:44 pm »
If you want run fast go alone if you want to go far go together!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 01:36:14 pm »
Helicopter Safety briefing and dry drills....I am exited yes I am!! :)

Offline Tommy Transalp

• The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 02:05:06 pm »
Very interesting reading Tom!... how cold does it get there? Can the chopper still fly when it gets too cold? I reckon the wind must be a factor as well...?
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Alsdad

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • Troy
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2014, 03:01:20 pm »
Wow! Adventure of note!

Thanks for sharing with us normal working Plebs!  ;)  Going to be following this fred with keen interest.

Enjoy and all the best!
It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission!