Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 62358 times)

express, KiLRoy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #1520 on: March 18, 2017, 08:17:34 am »
As always, beautiful photographs!
Yip!
Out of interest, I noticed a ring on the one, anyway that you can find out what it means?
Honda hawk400(sold)Yamaha rd400(passed on)Xr200r(sold)Tw200(sold)Sr500(sold to old boet)
Tw200(traded)650 dacar(present)

Online Tom van Brits

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: March 18, 2017, 11:05:33 am »
Incredible that you are able to interact like that, Tom

What is this bird? From that angle it looks almost like a raptor

Edit: probably a Skua
Yes Frankmac that is a Skua. It flew into my pic and made it a bit more interesting although the exposure was not set correct to get a clear shot on the Skua itself.
The white on the Albatross is the same as the chest of the Penguin..Northern Rockhopper, and you got to 'under expose' otherwise you sit with a blinker. Interesting, my camera is brilliant and can come up with great P  shots (auto for those not familiar) but not on the whites of the Albatross an Penguins. It took me a while (in prograss) to figure out ideal compensation.

Scuas are very intelligent and never forget. They follow us around the island as they know one mistake on a nest (while checking) and they score egg or even young chick. The eat anything and can catch you off guard and grab you lunch. They are not even remotly afraid of human. Amazing birds, and the best parents I have seen on the islands.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: March 18, 2017, 11:06:35 am »
Thanks doc 👍

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: March 18, 2017, 11:15:26 am »
Yip!
Out of interest, I noticed a ring on the one, anyway that you can find out what it means?
Yes good observation Oubones. The scientists ring the Albatross with all the dats; Gps coordinates where and when it was born and all other relevant info. It goes onto a global network and if there is a sighting now of this bird for instance on another island or anything of interest happens to the bird they enter in the data base and learn more about the behaviour of said species. It adds a lot of value as there is still a lot to be learned in order to help them survive.....numbers are rapidly declining.

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: March 19, 2017, 03:12:25 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Lyrial

History
Name:   Le Lyrial
Operator:   Compagnie du Ponant
Port of registry:   France
Ordered:   2012
Builder:   Fincantieri (Ancona)
Laid down:   2014
Launched:   2015
Acquired:   11 April 2015
In service:   April 2015
General characteristics
Class and type:   Le Boreal-Class Cruise Ship
Tonnage:   10,700 GT
Length:   142 metres
Beam:   18 metres
Draught:   4.8 metres
Decks:   7
Propulsion:   2 propeller shafts: 2 propellers
Speed:   16 knots (Max.)
Capacity:   264 passengers
Crew:   139 crewmembers

She called this morning and there was a brief pause in the rain, just enough to get these pictures
Whilst on the roof and making my way down I just had a quick 'point and shoot' at the sunshine meter - the idea of a silhouette to get the glass bright but the frame dark - almost.

The Le Lyrial is just 9 meters longer than the SA Agulhas 11 but it looks huge!
She has just return - probably the passangers that requested a round island - and the sun is shining so I'll see if I can get better pictures.

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: March 19, 2017, 04:02:47 pm »
She came back once more and the weather looked a tad better - so I got a couple more shots but she steered rather far away, which is probably safe as I have recently heard that the last official survey was actually in the mid 1950's

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: March 19, 2017, 04:13:51 pm »
And then just while staring at the ship and fortunate clients (don't even imagine how expensive it must be to go to South Georgia on her and back!!) I got a pic or 2 of the birds

1: Gough Bunting taking a bath not far from me
2-3: Sooty Albatross
4: Southern Giant Petrel - I was a tad slow

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: March 19, 2017, 04:18:24 pm »
And some Great Shearwater pics!   :laughing4:

That's it!  :thumleft:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • View Profile
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #1528 on: March 19, 2017, 04:45:11 pm »

That's very nice Tom  :thumleft:

I prefer the low light versions of this to those taken in bright sunlight, much more dramatic I think.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: March 19, 2017, 05:10:35 pm »

That's very nice Tom  :thumleft:

I prefer the low light versions of this to those taken in bright sunlight, much more dramatic I think.

Thanks Alan, the idea is a silhouette of the frame and a clear glass ball - unfortunately the rain rushed me and I only had to up my SS to get it right. This was at F13 and SS200. I am sure that I would have nailed it at around SS400 to darken all of the frame but watch this space - I will get it right in time!  :thumleft:

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: March 20, 2017, 10:01:11 am »
Thanks Tom, I have a new desktop picture, actually a few of them now. Stunning pics and keep going.
I now there is potential for an even better pic in that sunshine meter Ou Toppie, and I'll get it for you! Few technicalities wrt photograpy but I'll get there. Was holding on-standing briefly between gusts, squatting and bracing against the wind etc.

Also did not watch the MIB movie so did not get Hein's sharp comment there but was helped back on track via a whatsapp message   Everything slowed down here....my brain also. Got to watch a movie on my laptop and the movie which I really enjoyed is named Sahara  - all the characters have got names similar to a NOVAL (series) by Clive Cussler like admiral Sandekker, Dirk Pit etc. Could not see the credits clearly but sure it must be. Enjoyed it very much as the play was in Africa and similar to my African work....the doc (although I am a medic) Movie for a change was entertaining. MIB not here so I am not going to see the relevance to the glass

Enjoy the weekend!!

Your are 100% correct. The movie is based on Clive Cussler's book of the same name. Classic movie - really enjoyed!

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: March 20, 2017, 10:01:36 am »
Fantastic photos again!

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 20, 2017, 07:05:29 pm »
Thanks Sam!

I am done....tyred. We (David, Emma and me) have weight 100 seal pups today. I am not so quick anymore and got a few bites. Soak in Savlon bath, scrub wounds and hydrogen peroxide. 50 male/50 female. Took us the better part of the day and then the climb up the rope (Toumble down beach) and hike back. I am really done and is having some sweet wine to num the pain 😃😂😄
Got a few pics... maybe post them tomorrow

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: March 20, 2017, 07:43:16 pm »
2 cell pics of me getting tlc....😂😃😄😅
That peroxide stings and ideal in a seal bit is to get it to bleed for a minute. I forgot how angry these pups can get!

Smallest one was 3.5 kg and died shortly after we weigh it   as it is not gettin fed.....mommy maybe lost at sea.
The heaviest one was 13.75kg and avg around 6-7kg.

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 21, 2017, 12:34:47 am »
Let me post some pictures - todays pictures unfortunately not my best, I had to wake  up real early to do kitchen skivvi.
The biologists already did their skivvi last night - they were on bathroom. I could not because people use the kitchen all the time and I had to clean the ovens, 6 plate gas stove - need to take it apart. By the time we reached Tumble down I was already a few hours into the day and the hike there is not too difficult but you need to be fit. There is a long rope down and if you cannot support your own body weight you will find yourself in big trouble - only way in and out and it is really high and steep.

I really did not put hart into the pictures today as the focus was on the work - we had to weigh 50 male and 50 female.

Herewith some pictures

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 21, 2017, 12:42:08 am »
And the rest just fledgling Northern Rockhopper Penguins - soon they will do sexy but now they are just waiting for the new seasons feathers!!

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 21, 2017, 06:28:08 am »
That penguin colony must pong something terrible

How do you sex the pups, Tom? Is it just a quick visual thing.

Must be a bit challenging if you've got plenty of one sex and have to go around looking under bums etc to find the outstanding ones

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 21, 2017, 11:45:21 am »
That penguin colony must pong something terrible

How do you sex the pups, Tom? Is it just a quick visual thing.

Must be a bit challenging if you've got plenty of one sex and have to go around looking under bums etc to find the outstanding ones
Good question Frankmac; you pull the rear flilpers apart and if it is black inside it is male, and pink female.

Normally you will have close to the end of the day 50 male already and 40 female. Then it takes a long time to find them female. Yesterday we were lucky, more female in the beginning and to end off we were only 2 males short which we eventuly got at the other side of the boulders closer to the penguin collony.

I have a very sensitive nose (medical nose - which medical people will relate) but I think because I have such a love affair with the islands certain smells related to birds and seals does not stink anymore. Only the vomit of seabirds on nests. When you need to handle them, 1 out of 3 will vomit and it is a defence mechanism as the comit makes the predators feathers loosing waterproof abity. They cannot just grow new feathers and need to wait for the milt season to recover, so that is why the predator birds like skuas and giant petrel will not take an albatross from a nest. That vomit is revolting and even makes me gag.
But yes penguin poo stinks 😂😃☺

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 21, 2017, 06:24:07 pm »
What does the cruise ships do so far south ? What ever  it is not a cruise - those ships are build for more fair weather  :biggrin:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Online Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 21, 2017, 06:47:10 pm »
What does the cruise ships do so far south ? What ever  it is not a cruise - those ships are build for more fair weather 
1ougat these ships take top paying clients to South Georgia in 5 or 7 star comfort. The cost of a South Georgia Island tour will make your eyes tear up.....it is expensive. All for the braging rights to stand next to sir Ernest Shacletons grave maybe. This ship is new and state of the art, sonar system in the keel plus. There was another at some stage, albeit old by name Planctius. I made coms with it 2 years ago. Just to give you an idea. There is 1 crew member for every 2 passangers....