Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 122638 times)

Offline Geriatrix

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2280 on: September 10, 2017, 04:10:37 pm »
It has been a good year for us looking at your photographs, and I hope that it has been at least as good for you.

Wash the camera bag well, but not too well. In 30 years' time you will enjoy a smear of mud here and there.

Offline Tom van Brits

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: September 10, 2017, 04:42:58 pm »
It has been a good year for us looking at your photographs, and I hope that it has been at least as good for you.

Wash the camera bag well, but not too well. In 30 years' time you will enjoy a smear of mud here and there.

Thank you doc, appreciate  :thumleft:

I hope I can share some more. I am hoping for an Elephant seal to beach here on either sealers beach or a bit further down at 'Tumble down' beach.
I am keeping an ear for them as they make a unique sound which I will be able to id right away. The normally beach at the Glen and on Long beach and all basically inaccessible places from the base.

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline Salty

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Never dare an idiot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: September 11, 2017, 09:05:15 pm »
Hi Tom

Agulhas II has sailed, not sure when. She was still in port on Friday, but 'poof', she was not in port this morning.

Cheers! :ricky:

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: September 12, 2017, 06:41:19 am »
once again,AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!the pic of the seal looking at the camera trough the wave,excellent  :thumleft: :thumleft:
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: September 12, 2017, 08:56:30 am »
The Agulhas II is currently very close to the Meridian line on her way to you Tom.

For your sake I can hardly wait for the replacement team to arrive. I think Gough Island might just rise a little higher out of the sea with the lightened mood the new team will bring, they just look like a lekker bunch on the team picture you posted earlier.

I keep going back to the previous page to look at your images again, really beautiful, thank you. Excluding the picture of the aftermath of your medical intervention of course, just reminds me too much of slicing my own fingers this weekend on a piece of woven steel mesh I was shaping for a car grille. Luckily not too deep, so antiseptic and plasters kept too much of my blood from leaking out :lol8:
For the love of it.

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: September 12, 2017, 10:46:02 am »
Thanks Salty, they did leave sometime Friday morning. I am now in contact with the ship. They are arriving at Tristan da Cunha sometime tomorrow! Eta for Gough is early Sat morning.

Landyman I was wondering if people would also notice that seal staring through the wave! I was rather close on a rock nearby and they were very well aware of me! The early morning light made fore some interesting water colours as well.

Wheeliedog sorry to hear about your own mishap there! Glad you did not need stitches. I know that kak feeling rather too well when one apply direct pressure....things that rush through mind like; the blade was rusted, I need stitches, how long will it take to heal and so on. Then you realise that you still need to continue working. The magic of suturing up a wound is that it heals very fast and there is no bulky dressings in the way all the time. This oke was working the very next day.

I gave the clinic a spring clean last night and moved it round a bit. Looks more roomy and pracktical. Must say the mood is rather  nice in the team as well. They are really looking forward to the return voyage. I am just looking forward to my lucky packets 😂😃😅

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: September 12, 2017, 04:33:16 pm »
While I was down at the foodstore I saw the Albatrosses are having a ball, so I grabbed the camera and clicked a bit.
Airtrafic control was having a stressful hour on Gough - If I can only fire instead of shouting out directions to them! Saw a near miss through the lens but got 'bokkoors' and my finger did nothing....was rather annoyed with tom van Brits  :patch:

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: September 12, 2017, 05:25:15 pm »
I took the whole camera bag with me, because I did find myself in positions where I sometimes wish I had another lens with me. I do get mud and so on on the bag which makes me feel bad because I am anal about my stuff - but then I also realize that Xpat included the bag for the convenience of being able to carry and protect all the equipment. So after the expedition I will just handwash the bag nicely and dry it out. One thing I do need rather urgently is that little sache (silika or something?) which capture moisture. Humidity is very high and I was caught by rain again. Jut need those items to keep things properly dry. I know there should be some packed with the new medical supplies so I will grab hold of it and put a couple in the camera bag.

Tried a couple of seal shots in the surf:

Fantastic! Hell, that water looks so clean and clear. Does anyone ever dive there? The visibility must be excellent (although probably a little dark with the constant cloud cover that you seem to have there....)

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: September 12, 2017, 05:31:25 pm »
My answer should be an easy YES, but it is not and what has changed? People that know me knows I do not get involved in politics, I give any person regardless of sex, sexual orientation, race and age or background a fair change to be my friend. However I am absolutely GATVOL for the politics. last knight I thought let's have a good old fashioned 'join in' on the party in the bar and Em was kindly sponsoring me with a glass of Rum (very nice Rum: Jerry the sailor if I recall correctly.....really lekker) but not long and again I was standing next to a guy going on about apartheid and all the political problems and I decided that if the mood is not going to lighten I will rather silently excuse myself which I did.

Unfortunately this country had one chance after 94 to let the next generations grow up without all this racism crap. We / they blew it big time.

Having a look at the people in the photo - there dont seem any (other than you) that are old enough to have known pre-94 in SA. I'm a year or two younger than you, and even I only have very vague memories of those times. I was still a kid back then.

I see / hear this stuff alot amongst the younger generations today - it doesn't fill me with any hope for the future of the country. Forever fractured and living in the past.

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: September 12, 2017, 06:04:34 pm »
I took the whole camera bag with me, because I did find myself in positions where I sometimes wish I had another lens with me. I do get mud and so on on the bag which makes me feel bad because I am anal about my stuff - but then I also realize that Xpat included the bag for the convenience of being able to carry and protect all the equipment. So after the expedition I will just handwash the bag nicely and dry it out. One thing I do need rather urgently is that little sache (silika or something?) which capture moisture. Humidity is very high and I was caught by rain again. Jut need those items to keep things properly dry. I know there should be some packed with the new medical supplies so I will grab hold of it and put a couple in the camera bag.

Tried a couple of seal shots in the surf:

Fantastic! Hell, that water looks so clean and clear. Does anyone ever dive there? The visibility must be excellent (although probably a little dark with the constant cloud cover that you seem to have there....)

Hello Sam

January 2015 there was a dedicated diving team and one of the best weeks ever on Gough for me....if not the best!
The divers were from the UK - Two guys by the name Rob and Charley and they have also prior to the diving expedition sent 2 Tristan guys by the name of Rodney Green and Norman Glass for the scuba course - think class 4.
So they came down on the Edinburgh and the minute they sat foot on the wall they wanted to braai. I was the team leader so I said; you can have a braai every day and even for lunch if you prever on condition that you take the whole team on a slow round island in the rubber duck.
They agreed and the morning we had to board the duck 3 team members chickened out. The meteorologist said she is scared and do not like boating as she gets sick, the radio tech said he would not like it (he was not an outdoor person) and the diesel mechanic said he think it is against the rules and would rather not take the change. I tried to convince him it is ok but he would not bulge so we went on this round island and when we reached the North the sea was calm for diving and they droped us on the beach between Church rock and lot's wife (2 little islets) The dives were always 2 hours long, and they were collecting samples and new species. They discovered a number of things never seen before but only shared one (they had to keep this till it is named or whatever) They one they showed us was like a yellow sort of swimming tube thingy....weird.

So the whole week of diving was scientific around Gough, aswell as another week around Nightingale and also another round Tristan da Cunha. This will probably have a follow up at some stage.

In 2008 we had a nice team - the best ever in my experience on Gough. We had so much fun but it was also the year I have worked most and been involved with a lot of things - it was just a crazy good year. In that team were 3 guys that loved diving and swimming and they made their own weight belts with chains and other stuff and dived right here in front at the crane. I also swam but did not go down with them - these guys could hold their breath for very long periods of time and used to free diving. I gave Vincent my waterproof camera and he made videos under water which I recently lost when my laptop crashed. I still have a slideshow with a short video of the freestyle diving and he also filmed a snoek underwater while I was fighting it on the rod and reel. Still got that footage. They have also found an old knife or rather dagger and then accidentally dropped it back in the water and could not find it again! The water looks dark but it is actually very clear and sort of scary.

A few months ago I was fooling around and end up in the water......deep water and as I was swimming out first before coming back to clear some rocks I looked down and saw the dropoff - I almost got the illusion of 'flying' ...so being a volcanic islands there are caves and steep drop offs at places - I think it would have been a divers paradise! Not that I have any formal diving training though, but it should be special to dive here. The diving team used dry suits....and they thought the Irish Dutchman is crazy because after a dive while they still had their suits on I decided to join them in a rockpool diving or swiming with seals.....I was only in my kortbroek. I sort of do impulsive things sometimes! I was never at ease though - always concerned that one of them will get the bends and there is no decompression facilities down here.

Picture of me in the 'deep Glen' in 2015, also one where we boat through an islet on the North, lobster fisherman from the Edinburgh, Chris and Michelle (G60 Scientists and now on Marion and married) Charley (one of the divers)

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: September 12, 2017, 06:12:41 pm »
We also had a Glen Visit back then in 2015 and I discovered another engraved rock a bit more inland that never featured in others pictures.
Afterwards many people were interested by this and tried to fugure what was standing on it - they narrowed it down to the captain and ships name but I cannot recall this! Sorry.....that is why I really want to go back to the Glen. To get proper quality pictures of what is left there.

So pardon the image quality here - I recovered this pictures from fb one night:

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: September 12, 2017, 06:22:28 pm »
On the North side of the island we were on a beach between Church rock and Lot's wife and also between 2 amazingly beautiful waterfalls.
The sun burned us stukkend that day but it was worth the while! I would so love to go there again for proper photography but the only way is by boat.
If I was not in a key role (medic) I would have made a plan to hike over the mountains and abseil down. A round trip like that would take 5 days in the Summer.

First pic is Southpoint near the base, just round the corner.
Second on the West and 3rd - Spire crack waterfalls
4 is possibly Tristania rock or North Point - can't recall
5 is Lot's wife

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Fleet Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: September 12, 2017, 06:26:09 pm »
Ask Agulhas II for a spin around the island before they leave, since you're going to stay there for at least another 3-4 months. Least they can do :)
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Ref: SAS Wildehond III Balance (2017/10/22): R2,000.00

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: September 12, 2017, 06:33:17 pm »
This Islet is called Penguin island and is also visible in some of my pictures I have taken from Mount Rowette - like the one I posted earlier the year that I took through Disney ridge window.

Elephant seal

...............couple more and last one of Werner holding a Bluefish that Rodney caught right here infront of the base while waiting for us to sent the gusts back with the crane.

Thats all!  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: September 12, 2017, 06:49:57 pm »
Ask Agulhas II for a spin around the island before they leave, since you're going to stay there for at least another 3-4 months. Least they can do :)

Unfortunately the issue is me as the only medic Ri - the liability for the department if something goes wrong and there was no medic. Not a change they would take, but I know Captain Clarence will sail me round that side next year when I go back home with him! That is going to be an experience of note and I am already looking forward to it!  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: September 12, 2017, 09:14:37 pm »
I was a bit too late for a nice sunset picture in the sunshine recorder but thought to post anyway.

Cambell-Stokes Sunshine recorder. Simple yet so efficient! It 'burns' the paper like we used to do with magnifying glass - burning fancy letters or whatever into wood.

Offline ClemS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: September 13, 2017, 09:41:59 am »
Tom, mooi fotos van die elephant seals. Ek was so bevoorreg nou gedurende die Julie vakansie, toe was daar by Marina Beach Suidkus, een wat op die strand kom kuier het terwyl hy vervel het. In engels staan dit bekend as "molting". Die oukie was te vriendelik en het die aandag van die mense terdee geniet. Die SPCA en die KZN Wildlife Nature Conservation moes hom uiteindelik kom beskerm nie net teen sy eie opdringerigheid by die mense nie maar ook teen muti-jagters.

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: September 13, 2017, 05:11:21 pm »
Tom, mooi fotos van die elephant seals. Ek was so bevoorreg nou gedurende die Julie vakansie, toe was daar by Marina Beach Suidkus, een wat op die strand kom kuier het terwyl hy vervel het. In engels staan dit bekend as "molting". Die oukie was te vriendelik en het die aandag van die mense terdee geniet. Die SPCA en die KZN Wildlife Nature Conservation moes hom uiteindelik kom beskerm nie net teen sy eie opdringerigheid by die mense nie maar ook teen muti-jagters.

Dankie Mater

Die 'muti-jagters maak my rooi om die kiewe  :dousing:

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: September 13, 2017, 05:21:04 pm »
Madness in the house - everything was left for no 99 despite all the warnings from the team leader (I was trying my best to coach him)
Not his fault - and I am so glad I am not sitting with his stress but ofcourse I am taking it on myself to do thing to make him stress less, so I decided this morning to raise the flags, hang both the helicopter wind socks and help where I can since all my work is done already.

At some stage I thought to grab the camera and take a couple of pics outside to share here.

Ship has arrived at Tristan da Cunha last night and they woke up on anchor infront of that beautiful Island. Zach sent me a picture from the ship but it's on my cellphone - the tipical Tristan view:'Edinburgh of the seven seas'

Ok here a couple of Gough pictures:

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: September 13, 2017, 05:26:43 pm »
Weird but the Scuas are always following me.....and I am really not feeding them.

Love them despite the fact that they are vicious predators!!

That's all  :thumleft: