Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 156391 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2760 on: February 11, 2018, 05:27:02 pm »
Squid's biggest nightmare.....look at that huge mouth of the Tristan Albatross!!

Filling a water bottle on Goneydale - maybe brownish but never got sick of this water

Sometimes I just drink from these small lakes on top of the mountain

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: February 11, 2018, 06:12:02 pm »
Squid's biggest nightmare.....look at that huge mouth of the Tristan Albatross!!

Filling a water bottle on Goneydale - maybe brownish but never got sick of this water

Sometimes I just drink from these small lakes on top of the mountain
Nog mossies

Sent from my F3112 using Tapatalk

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Fleet Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: February 11, 2018, 10:22:50 pm »
 :imaposer:
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Ref: SAS Wildehond III Balance (2017/12/07): R2 125,31 - Payment of R1,600 made for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: February 13, 2018, 12:43:51 am »
Hello Wild dog friends!

This entry is from my Macbook!
This is a proper laptop, and I can already see what the rave is about. These machines were just always out of range (budged) and I never new you could get good clean and reliable secondhand matchbooks at reasonable prices. There is a guy at the DEA in Cape Town doing Mackbook sales and repairs and I completely forgot about him. Probably because I have reasoned that one can get a new Acer or what ever for the same price as a second hand Apple. However; when you are in photo business of some sort (a wanne be like me) you need one of these machines to do proper work and that I have learned from the internet and another pro-photographer (actually 2 pro's) The colour is different and I think the term is screen resolution. I am still a bit lost and need to ask Ri to couch me a bit over distance in how to use this laptop correctly but I did make some progress. I have figured the touch pad now (I think) but to resize picks was very easy with a program called fast stone on windows. I battled a bit till I figured out how to resize here but only one picture at a time. Maybe I need an app for that but I'll check with Ri.

What matters though; I can work on Lightroom here and do things which I could not do on my old laptop due to (I think) the memory ....or lack or memory and then resolution. The attached pictures (if I can get them uploaded) are not great pics and I was about to delete the RAW files as well since I could not manage to properly develop one of them. It was taken with a stupid kit lens and the reason why is that I did not have space and was taking the long 300mm lens with me to Goneydale on Friday. Will never risk my Tamron 18/50 mm as that is too valuble and there I just thought to take the kit lens which is a tiny plastic lens. However when I did decide to take a couple of close ups with the kit lens a Tristan Albatross flew around real close and I thought to quickly take a few pics. Then I just could not do anything with them as the quality was poor. Today when Lightroom fired up on the Mackbook I thought to make it a challenge to see if I can do anything with these pics and although there is more room of improvement this is what I got (attached) No fancy pics but the point I want to make is it is from trashed to saved. I can just 'see' better here if that makes sense.

You all know by now we all get a cooking turn and since we are 10 one cook for the team every 10th day`. That 10 days fly by and today I thought to use things that is not really popular in the team since this team is so much more creative and make more effort than I have ever seen. So I made a thick soup from frozen green pies and red lentils and was suprized to see how fast that big pot went. Then a macaroni and mince (I did not get to eat it since I had another soup) and then some tinned fruit with instant pudding/custard. I always stress a lot when it is my cooking skivvies but I must say it is rather rewarding when you see that the team enjoy your food.

Lastly a question to any of our doctor friends (Greiatrix?) or dieticians? My finger nails has become very soft (I am now 17 months on the island) and I am the only person with the problem. We do not have any calsium supplements and nothing fresh except for fish which I catch  from the ocean. I do not have that 'white stripes' or markings on my nails which normally shows a calcium deficiency but nails are soft and I am working hard with my hands, so the nails break and I constantly need to cut them shorter which is not comfy. It is not a huge problem but it is not lekker....do anyone please have some advice here?

Goodnight

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Fleet Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: February 13, 2018, 06:44:53 am »
Can see the difference already - even your spelling is improved  :deal:

MacBooks are pricey, even 2nd hand, but you're buying good hardware. A colleague was telling me that his 14+ year old First Generation iPod finally failed last night. I'm pleased you finally got a good one, and that you're already making good progress on it :)

If you have empty DVDs, you can also write your RAW files to DVD.

And yes, there's an app that can resize all your photo's in one go, but I can't recall the name. SizeIt? You should've added it to your wishlist, too late for me to install now  :imaposer:
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Ref: SAS Wildehond III Balance (2017/12/07): R2 125,31 - Payment of R1,600 made for steel purchase

Offline Xpat

« Reply #2765 on: February 13, 2018, 09:05:52 am »
Which operating system is on that Macbook Tom? You find it out by clicking on the apple sign in the left top corner, selecting 'About this Mac' and it shows a widnow where in big letters you will see name of the OS.

My Mac comes by default with 'Photos' application at that bottom bar (if it is not there, you will find it using F4, which shows full list of applications). I use that one to resize my photos. I always do just one at the time, so not sure if it can do multiple (do you really resize many pictures at the same time?), but it definitely can go one by one. Just slect the photo, click Edit and you will be able to crop, realign the image (and do quite a few other things like adjust brightness, colors, etc - but for those LIghtroom will always be better tool).

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: February 13, 2018, 09:07:59 am »
Good luck with the MacBook! I tried one once........but being a PC okie, I was totally lost. My cousin swore by them (he was in desk top publishing (DTP) - touching up photo's for a living.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Fleet Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: February 13, 2018, 11:15:47 am »
Tom's MacBook is loaded with macOS High Sierra, and it has Photo (it's a standard Mac app along with Grab, TextEdit, GarageBand, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Preview and Safari - unlike Windoze which gives you a Start button and a defunct browser and nothing else  >:D )

I'm a barbarian, I use the Preview app for resizing - under Tools | Adjust Size - but that's also single photo use. My sister-in-law is into photography, I bought their old iMac and she had apps for resizing  and renaming multiple files at once. Handy for e.g. the forum, after you've touched up the photo's and you want to resize all due to size limit on posting.

I know for Windoze you used to get PhotoRazr, great little .exe, but not available for Mac.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #2768 on: February 13, 2018, 11:31:27 am »
OK, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought we are talking about croping and I see we are talking about resizing the size of the file for posting. That is easy in Photos application - even for many images at the same time.

Just import the images to Photos, select all the images you want to resize and then go to menu at the top (you might need to put your cursor there to see it displayed and select File/Export. A window will pop up that will allow you to chose what kind of file you want (JPEG/TIFF/PNG) and what size, as well as naming standard.

So chose there and once you choose where to save the pictures, it will export them in required size to that location.

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: February 13, 2018, 12:12:17 pm »
OK, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought we are talking about croping and I see we are talking about resizing the size of the file for posting. That is easy in Photos application - even for many images at the same time.

Just import the images to Photos, select all the images you want to resize and then go to menu at the top (you might need to put your cursor there to see it displayed and select File/Export. A window will pop up that will allow you to chose what kind of file you want (JPEG/TIFF/PNG) and what size, as well as naming standard.

So chose there and once you choose where to save the pictures, it will export them in required size to that location.

Thanks Martin, got it and was real easy. Come to think of it; I may as well just export them already at desired size through Lightroom, that now for the ones I want to share.
It will take some time to get used to the MacBook but I'll manage.

Sorry for continuing here but once I get the window I need to make use of it because nothing much has change wrt the internet regardless of new ISP.

I did ask around today to see if there are more team members that have noticed a calcium deficiency and one of the girls actually showed me her nails - she has got fairly much the same problem and only recently noticed. So I really need to work on a plan to get more calcium and in her case I have suggested to use more dairy products since we have more than enough long life milk. I can unfortunately not use milk freely because of lactose intolerance. I need to get some research done on the dried and tinned produce we have to see how I can up the calcium. Unfortunately noticed to late otherwise I could have ordered some calcium supplements. I am sure even with a motivation letter from me to the sea they would have sent us, but like said this does not seem to be a common problem.

Yes Ri I do love the spell check but unfortunately need to do most of my posts with the phone/tappa talk and that does not have spellcheck. I find Safari rather nice and I do not know if it is just my imagination but it feels like it is working a tad faster than chrome but ok this machine has got more memory. That is why Lightroom works so much better on here!

Cheers :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Fleet Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: February 13, 2018, 12:18:31 pm »
Nope, not your imagination, Chrome is a memory hog - just Google "How to speed up Chrome"  :lol8:

And if you accidentally close a tab in Safari, press Cmd+z (shortcut key for "Undo") and the tab will open again. Probably works like this in other browsers too but I wouldn't know :sip:

You'll get used to the Mac way soon, Tom >:D

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #2771 on: February 13, 2018, 01:35:39 pm »
Tom ek sien daai bote het almal inboard engines in. Nogal weird aangesien bote met outboards ligter sou wees.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: February 13, 2018, 08:51:28 pm »
Tom ek sien daai bote het almal inboard engines in. Nogal weird aangesien bote met outboards ligter sou wees.

Yes Chris they are powered by Yanmar single cylinder diesel - inboard engine. They really do not give any trouble at all and work hard each and every day around these islands. The working day stars sharp at 6am and they do not board the ship earlier than 5pm. So if they happened to be powered by outboard you would have had a number of issues like fuel economy (now having to carry special permits on the ship for petrol fuel) and services. These Yanmar power engines are tough as nails and rather manuvrable and engage reverse and respond rather quick! So the ship diesel mechanic also service these machines and they also run on polar diesel fuel. Then lastly fire safety where diesel again come out tops. The performance is not bad either, and the powerboats are rather stable. Then what I almost forgot about: There is an auxilary drive that they engage once sitting next to a lobster pot and the pot engage and help to pull the line and therefore much less physical on the fisherman. Once these okes get tired they will start making mistakes and one should always keep in mind that these waters are cool (not very cold - currently around 15 degree Celsius)  but very deep. It is real scary to dive and see how the ocean floor drops away - it is real deep waters albeit very beautiful. Pristine seas has made a film here and on Tristan da Cunha - the one with Nat Geo and it should be out since I already got a copy. Paul Rose (well known) was the project leader and I think most of you will recall that has happened exactly 1 year ago. I would love to share the footage but not possible since it is 'movie size'.

Groete` :thumleft:   

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: February 13, 2018, 11:44:24 pm »
1.This is the berries that we do get this season (short season) on the Mountains - only high altitude.
2-3. I have made this 'boot remover' tool and carried it up to Goneydale to help remove the gumboots after a tiring hike - it works great
4-5. Refilling my water bottle in fountain like fasion but no underground water here. It is all rainwater that just runs through the islands on various small streams and little lakes.

Cheers  :thumleft:

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: February 14, 2018, 11:33:53 am »
Fantastic pic that last one. How do you bribe them to pose for you like that?

Did a little google-fu on the "soft nails" / brittle nails  issue. Most of the articles say causes are usually vitamin defeciency, and in most cases iron deficiency. Didn't come across any listing calcium deficiency as a cause. They also listed "repeated wetting and drying of nails", which, considering your current environment could be an issue....!

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2775 on: February 14, 2018, 12:06:58 pm »
Fantastic pic that last one. How do you bribe them to pose for you like that?

Did a little google-fu on the "soft nails" / brittle nails  issue. Most of the articles say causes are usually vitamin defeciency, and in most cases iron deficiency. Didn't come across any listing calcium deficiency as a cause. They also listed "repeated wetting and drying of nails", which, considering your current environment could be an issue....!
Thanks Sam, it may be as you say a vitamine deficiency especialy in my case. I will take an extra vit c and give me a vit b com injection every other week from now on and just have a closer look at my diet. Maybe the main calprut is wet nails since I constanrly work in wet conditions. Maybe need to eat more green veggies (tinned and frozen) as well. Let me  take that vit bcom inj now Cheers

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: February 14, 2018, 08:34:27 pm »
Tomorrow we go on a long 1 day hike, very far and rather hard. Taking Zach and Thabo with to Lowhump. We are leaving at 6 am sharp and should be back at 18h00. Last change (just) to see the Southern giant petrels as most has already left after fledging. Hope to take great pics. Bags are packed and ready to roll.

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: February 14, 2018, 08:41:49 pm »
Friday I need to put the ladder together. I have made 2 shacles to hang it and mad washers (drilled 84) and got the rope and everything together on a workbench. Santjie will help and organise more hands for Friday to put it together and then we need to take it down to diesel cove where I will be the first one to test it out! Nice to make things to leave behind. We can still make a lot of improvements here.

The following users thanked this post: frankmac

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: February 15, 2018, 06:54:58 am »
Lekker en veil loop my maat.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

• View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: February 16, 2018, 12:14:52 am »
20,5 km for the day aka mr Garmin and it took the 3 of us 11 hours to complete. I told the young Zach and Thabo last night that the bus leaves at 6 am sharp, and waits for nobody. Midnight I heard a commotion in the kitchen (My room is opposite the wall) and walked around to see what is going on. Thabo was making 'padkos' (food for the trip) and I warned him not to be late. 5:40 when I entered the kitchen to make my coffee which I take with to drink with my brunch on Goneydale both young men were ready and waiting for me. So our day began and we have tracked really hard. We did make it in 2 hours 30min to Goneydale container and had a short rest and some food and coffee and then tracked up West Rowette and all the way down to 'Low hump' and then to the Southern Giant Petrel Colony. I still need to develop the pictures but herewith one that is fully fledged and ready to go! We did witness 2 of them leaving which was rather very special and also a parent that came to feed a youngster. The black feathers are just so silky smooth, and I don't really know how to describe it (velvet black?) but it is rather beautiful.

Then I decided to try another route which should be more interesting back. I just assumed that if we go left instead of right on the way up West Rowette we should come out right between South and Mid Rowette with the Glen dead ahead of us. This I did for Thabo to share with him that stunning view. I was however wrong but remember adventure bikers do not get lost, neither adventurers of any kind.The hike was really hard and the gradient was almost silly steep but we did make it up there (they did have to wait for me though but Iwas now driving the bus from the backseat :) ) So we came out in the middle between West and South and then I told them that they should follow me and I lead the party all the way on the summit over South to middle Rowette. That was an awesome hike, and we did enjoy it a lot. Eventually we started making our way back to base and got Santjie and Peter halfway down the Mountain also on their way back to base. Peter suffered some cramps and all I could do was telling him to come and get some rehydrate from me in the clinic after their hike. We did not wait for them and went past since Zach volunteered to do Santjie's meteorological ops at 18H00. So I can honestly say today that this was one of my best hikes ever on this stunning Island....loved every moment of it. May even be a bit more fit and ready for the Glen trip when I decide to take it on. I am still reluctant to do it alone due to safety but it is not a one day trip and who ever accompanies me will have to know that we will sleep over which makes it a bit harder to find a hiking partner.

Once I got change to develop the rest of the pics I will post away or if the net is not working properly I'll mail to Ri and ask to post.
Goodnight!  :thumleft: