Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 237986 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3060 on: June 05, 2018, 12:05:57 pm »
TOm do you also stare at "new" people?

I lived in Mandritsara somewhere north in Madagascar. There were less than 20 white people in the town of 10-20 000 . I saw some of them maybe once or twice a week, But whenever I got into contact with new people whether they were in Mandritsara or I was somewhere else, I always caught myself staring and saying to myself: HEy! Look a white person!

I understand that you guys are not living on a very frequented place, but when you get back you must "suffer" from new people staring or something as you re-adapt to the new situation?
Not really but I am sort of a loner, even in 'normal society' ☺

Some people think I may have some difficulties in adapting once back after 2 years but I cannot see why. Social media like Wild Dogs and face book keep me in touch with the friends and family and it all feels normal. Maybe because I was sort of used to 'a life away' from early days in life.

Rather cold today, sea is stormy and I feel for the guys fishing. It will be simular to the television series 'dangerous catch' in the North Sea. They are  not around Gough but at seamount Nish.

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: June 05, 2018, 12:29:17 pm »
And TVB I may not say much, but love to follow this post, I understand the “loner” position, but would love to have your photographic skills.  :sip:
"The hardest part about riding a quad, is telling your parents you're gay"

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: June 05, 2018, 08:03:45 pm »
You will have to loose your loner ideas and come and visit with us dogs that follow your story so religiously!
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3063 on: June 06, 2018, 08:27:53 pm »
You will have to loose your loner ideas and come and visit with us dogs that follow your story so religiously!

Will do Oubones  :thumleft:

Today was a beautiful day, first proper sunshine day in weeks. There was only 40hours of sunshine recorded in May and unfortunately I forgot how much rain but I am sure you get the idea.
Santjie asked me already yesterday if I would help her to fix the rope ladder going down at dieselcove. The other night when the ship was here another run broke and lucky for us it is only the 'top runs' of the ladder that are broken.
I suggested that I would go down and loosen it all the way from the vegetation and then we should be able to pull it up, remove the 'vrot runs' and secure it again. Was rather straight forward other than the weight of the ladder when we had to haul it up for about 2meters and then wet and muddy.

After lunch she asked me if we could finish the other rope ladder which we started to make earlier in the year but stopped because the Tristan visit was canceled. We have finished it and now atleast we know we have anothe 12meter rope ladder should we need it.

Herewith some pics

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3064 on: June 06, 2018, 08:29:25 pm »
 :)

The following users thanked this post: BMWPE

Online BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: June 06, 2018, 08:39:08 pm »
Good to see some pics and posts
 you  have  been very quiet
Rallye

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3066 on: June 06, 2018, 08:56:48 pm »

Thanks BMWPE!

I would love to post more often, but I also do not want to waste anyones time here with 'normal daily life' experience currently which is rather boring (read winter - trapped inside base :(  )

I will however always share any good pictures and keep sharing the latest Island news!

Apparently they are still advertising my position....  :lol8: but I am sure they will find a good medic for the next expedition!

Goodnight

Offline Oubones

• View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: June 07, 2018, 05:08:48 am »

Thanks BMWPE!

I would love to post more often, but I also do not want to waste anyones time here with 'normal daily life' experience currently which is rather boring (read winter - trapped inside base :(  )

I will however always share any good pictures and keep sharing the latest Island news!

Apparently they are still advertising my position....  :lol8: but I am sure they will find a good medic for the next expedition!

Goodnight
It is the day to day things that give the "feel" of how it is to be doing what you do.
Oops, you might end up becoming a permanent fixture if they do not get a relief for you. :peepwall:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3068 on: June 07, 2018, 01:11:48 pm »

Thanks BMWPE!

Goodnight
It is the day to day things that give the "feel" of how it is to be doing what you do.
Oops, you might end up becoming a permanent fixture if they do not get a relief for you. :peepwall:

Oubones when I am thinking of coming back I just sometimes get that cold sweat in the neck knowing that I will be under pressure to find work. The problem I am facing as mentioned earlier on is that we (medics) need to have 'bolt-on courses' which you need to do every 2nd year now. One is ACLS and the other is ITLS (Advanced cardio live support and International trauma life support) plus then pdp as well. All of these have now expired due to my extended contract. Two of the companies I did put feelers out for work (one is ISOS and they sometimes use us as locums) replied by wanting to know if I am 'current' with these courses which I will not be by the time I get back. Currently it is still up to date and my HPCSA license is also paid and current.

Here is the letter I got from ISOS:

To: tom.mcsherry11@gmail.com
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original

Dear Thomas,

International SOS would like to thank you for your continued interest in positions that may arise.

In order that we can maintain our database, could we ask that you kindly provide us with answers to the following questions, along with providing your current CV in either Word or PDF.

- Are you available for locums?  If so what notice period do you require?
- Do you remain interested in fixed term (6 to 12 months) contracts?
- Do you remain interested in permanent opportunities?
- Are you ILS, ECT, ALS or ECP?
- Do you have 3 years post qualification current operational experience?
- Do you hold a valid ACLS?
- Do you hold a valid ITLS or equivalent?
- Do you hold a valid offshore certification such as BOSIET or HUET?
- Do you have remote site experience?
- Do you speak either French or Portuguese?  If yes, which language?
- Are you registered with the HPCSA?

KINDLY SEND YOUR RESPONSES DIRECTLY TO the following email address - IASRecruitment@internationalsos.com.

We look forward to receiving your updated CV.

Many thanks for your co-operation in the above.

Kind regards,
Sonia Bull
Recruitment Consultant
International SOS

Once back I first need to book and do all these courses, and that takes time. If I am lucky 2 months to get everything up to date again. However, I will still be looking for work (any work) even if it is just temporary to fill the time to achieve all of this.
Luckily I did and still am saving up as much as I can so that I will have more time on my side.

Very long answer (sorry  :peepwall: ) just to explain that I cannot legally stay on as medic on Gough. I would have been ok with a couple more months if they did find themselves on a spot again. I am sure they will find a good medic in time, there are a couple of months left before team training commence.

Herewith a couple of pics from this morning, I went for a 30min jog on the treadmill and saw the sunrise. Rather cold but beautiful day!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3069 on: June 07, 2018, 01:16:24 pm »
Second picture shows our anemometer (windspeed) facing north. Zach and Santjie at the main entrance, she is going up the mountain to join the other 2 'birders' doing some work on the Tristan Albatross.

:thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: June 07, 2018, 01:23:25 pm »
Lyk my die gras begin weer oorneem.  Jy sal moet begins sny pappie.  :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3071 on: June 07, 2018, 01:28:08 pm »
Lyk my die gras begin weer oorneem.  Jy sal moet begins sny pappie.  :imaposer:

I was cutting grass with the bushcutter last week, 3 days! Just need to do the path the the 'helicopter deck' (helli pad) as well and then it's good for another 2 months  :) Will take pics when I start cutting again. 'Tom's garden service'  :imaposer:

Offline eSKaPe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • As in "The Great Escape"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: June 07, 2018, 01:41:56 pm »
Also been following you here -always interesting and all the great pics!

All the best with your return to SA, trust you will keep the story going to some extent or other
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:43:23 pm by eSKaPe »

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: June 07, 2018, 01:43:29 pm »
Tom Tom and Tom's garden service.  Sorry I am not there to help.  :imaposer:

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3074 on: June 08, 2018, 02:53:58 pm »
Also been following you here -always interesting and all the great pics!

All the best with your return to SA, trust you will keep the story going to some extent or other

Thanks eSKaPe!  :thumleft:

Tom Tom and Tom's garden service.  Sorry I am not there to help.  :imaposer:

I could do with some help   :deal:  :)

Just thought to make some rolls for the team for lunch and enjoyed one myself. I justify it after a good run on the treadmill

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3075 on: June 08, 2018, 02:55:52 pm »
Proud farther - my son has recieved this yeasterday:

Offline ClemS

« Reply #3076 on: June 08, 2018, 03:08:39 pm »
Proud farther - my son has recieved this yeasterday:

Congrats Tom and Chris - Always lekka to be a proud parent!!

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: June 08, 2018, 05:05:47 pm »
Baie geluk met jou seun se Millwright....nou ken ek darem 2 Millwrights.  :imaposer:

Online BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: June 09, 2018, 04:54:47 am »
 :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Rallye

Offline Oubones

• View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: June 09, 2018, 07:02:34 am »
Baie geluk aan jou en jou seun.
Dit maak my sommer so warm binne as die kinders goed doen.
My dag is nou sommer beter.
Hehe, ek het gisteraand tot laat nog met koplamp op gras gesny en drink net koffie dan begin ek weer!
Dakar 650
KLR650