Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 238134 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3440 on: October 11, 2018, 12:48:51 am »
And this portre's is hanging in the staircase on each level and I thought to share is  because it is rather special to me.

Sir Ernest Shackleton's Endeavour from 1915/16 which made him the most respectable master at sea after rescuing his men is my favorite and the plan is on the next SANAE voyage to go and look for his ship since the big icemount broke off the ice shelve a while back. To what scientific value the discovery of 'the Endeavour' will be is unknown to me though.

These portre's were hanging in the SA Agulhas and was transferred to the SA Agulhas 2 (so glad it did not go missing like so many other memorabilia of the islands)

Of all the things in life that I have experienced nothing comes close to sailing in the open Ocean. If only I could be involved in some way other than being treated like a tourist  :patch:

We did have out last team meeting today with the dco and it was rather sad to see that our team splintered right at the end. There is tension between members and therefore the meeting. It is not unusual, being on a remote site and sharing your space with people from different backgrounds is hard at times. The issue that has caused this was the final performance appraisals. Some team members stood up to their rights (I kid you not) and asked the dco to make the final appraisals nul and void because they thought that their performance was all within and above expectation.
She granted that and assured everyone that all of us will get our bonus and that nothing negative will stick. I never did share in detail what the challenges was, because of my love for the islands and program and because I do not want to make myself unpopular and hence burn my bridge.

I therefore kept silent as much as I could and just worked. As result some members were carried on the weight of us that did work hard, and my 'excellent' performance appraisal is also now null and void as well if that makes sense. So rather please do not comment on this, and know that I am at peace at heart albeit disappointed. Why did I share this if I do not want you to comment on something negative? Because I just got to give you the complete picture of what it is to work on the remote site for the SA government in modern times. Politics have made it into each and everything - I think I have rather done well but shit although this year was better than last year (G62) it was NOT all moonlight and roses.

I have asked the team (seemed they have agreed) to please put their difference aside and have one more final group photo together as we touch down on East pierre in CT if only for the Antarctic legacy.

Santjie was a great leader, and the best in this team to have lead and without her it would have been worse than G62.
Sometimes I got angry at her, because I thought that she took a bit of advantage of my willingness to work hard while some other members were sleeping in.
Then I looked back as I do now and said wow - I have remained calm and I did my work. I made things sometimes a bit easier for our leader, and I know she appreciate it....

After I have opened my mouth in the auditorium today by asking the dco who will now vouch for us who did perform well since the 'good reports' are void with the 'bad reports' she could not answer me. I asked then if she will vouch for me and she said yes, she and her assistant will. I hope they do, because without their reference now (leaders does not carry weight like said) I will not see SANAE takeover - the DCO is a deputy director and also head of HR.

I am happy that I have made the tour on the ship - my changes to sail on here is again is little but I do have hope.

Let's see if we can have a team pic Saturday morning for the Antarctic legacy - I even told the team; 'you do not need to stand next to someone you don't like anymore'

Goodnight  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3441 on: October 11, 2018, 01:18:47 am »
And then just to crack a smile and since I am taking from the heart tonight:

It have been years since I had someone in my life. I got divorced early 2012 and it took me a while, a long time actually to get over her.
Loved her and she was a real friend and soulmate, we did so much together and I think me working away (at the time in Afghanistan) was just too much for her.

Then a couple years later I was briefly (but not intimately) involved with a lady friend but since the uncertainty about my future (work) and financial responsibilities and maybe status it did not work and we went our separate ways.

So for years I did not touch a woman, other than a 'half hugh' on a birthday. When Santjie and I got in trouble during our Glen hike and had to wait the rain out in the peaks of Disney ridge she played a major part in keeping my warm while sitting close together in mountain survival plastic bags. That was hard for me - I thought I was the strong one so she did become a hero figure to me that night. She has managed to fall asleep, I could not - it was just too cold and that was what motivated me to get fit and strong once more.

I never even look at woman anymore with a romantic eye, and thought it is gone....dead.
I have no intentions yet to change my bachelor status, but I must say I became aware last night when one of the guests on the ship talked to me (a tannie nogal - she must be close to my age  :imaposer: ) that I choose my words rather careful opposed to how I behave (natural with a 'vloek' here and there) in the team - you see the team was my family and there was never anything more to it. So I had a good laugh at myself last night in the cabin after realizing that I almost flirted a bit....just a bit  :laughing4:
Nothing will come off that, she will fly soon to her home country and our conversation was brief and to some extend even profesional but it was good to feel 'human' again.  :3some:
Adapting slowly but surely back into civilization.  :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3442 on: October 11, 2018, 01:31:00 am »

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: October 11, 2018, 07:34:52 am »
How is the noise level in the engine room.  I remember on number one we could not hear the chap showing us around due to the noise.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3444 on: October 11, 2018, 10:15:40 am »
Baas Kobus the noice is acceptable, it was not hard to understand the engineer but yes it is still noicy to some extend. Old Agulhas has much more mechanical noice and I remember the oil and open tappets....the smel of warm oil. This is n rather different story here.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: October 11, 2018, 10:50:43 am »
 :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3446 on: October 11, 2018, 02:20:17 pm »
This was pwd's team picture. A team Hein can be proud of. They really did work hard. James was shopped in, he could not join the hike to seal beach.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3447 on: October 11, 2018, 02:22:13 pm »
As I am sharing my pics on the ship one of the pilots gave me a memory stick with ice pics....I will share some at a later stage. Pok it is beautiful

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3448 on: October 11, 2018, 05:06:46 pm »
Kate took this picture of me the day we left Gough *the fist time when we though we are leaving for good.

It was very hard for me to turn myself away and walk to my cabin. I kept on staring at the Island's Northern shore and the guy that is visible in the picture (never seen him up close) was singing weird song - sort of that spiritual songs you see in the movies of the so called 'native Indian' Americans.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3449 on: October 11, 2018, 05:22:31 pm »
We are currently in a very weird swell. I know a bit about weather and the sea but this it weird.
I immediately became aware that the ship is rising a bit higher and then sort of walloping (shit spellcheck says there is a word like that  :peepwall: )
Sometimes you feel complet weightless, and at times you feel rather heavy.
The jerky movements however is not something I have ever experienced on either this ship nor the old Agulhas. Obviously nothing wrong, just weird and unlike the previous ship were I was welcome to go to the bridge at any time and keep the watch company we are not allowed to do so on this ship.
I have therefore lost a bit of touch with my shipping vocabulary, and all things interesting that i was always eager to hear and learn about.
Would have been interesting to hear weather they have changed the pitch of the props now to cope with this changing rhythm.

On another note I do feel down today. I think the closer we get to CT the more reality starts to sink in and I feel somehow nervous. Just had coffee and my hands are actually trembling a bit. I keep on playing it in my mind how it must be to walk back into my family and friends life. The last 2 years the only connection was through cyber space, and finally it is just a few weeks away. I always had this thing where I am a bit self conscious but today it is annoyingly to the extend where I keep doing checks on me self weather I am properly dressed and so on. Shit I am going to escape to the gym now and hope the treadmill is open, en then the sauna. I am rather nervous and its not nice.

Online Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • View Profile
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #3450 on: October 11, 2018, 05:50:26 pm »
Lekker om jou vertellinge so te lees Tom. Ek gaan, soos per jou versoek, geen kommentaar op die “performance appraisals” gee nie. Maar jy weet hoe dink ek daaroor. Ek weet jy het jou beste gegee.

Baie interessant wat jy wys en vertel oor die skip. Daai skilderye is bitter interessant. Kan jy jou indink watse waagstuk dit in daai dae was om so ‘n reistog te onderneem. Daai manne het hare op hul tande gehad, waaragtig.

Ek kan dink jy is senuweeagtig om terug te kom. Dis beslis ‘n aanpassing. Sterkte en vat dit rustig.
Geleerdheid in die kop van 'n dwaas is soos 'n lemmetjie in die hand van 'n aap.

CJ Langenhoven

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: October 11, 2018, 06:59:01 pm »
Tom, soos Johan gesê het vat dit maar net rustig en alles sal goed uitwerk. :thumleft:
Moet jy nie jouself bekommer nie, die antwoorde vir jou vrae sal kom en jou vriende en familie sal net te bly wees om jou weer te sien.
Onthou tog net asb dat jy eers jou onderbroek en dan kortbroek aantrek! :imaposer: :peepwall: :pot:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3452 on: October 11, 2018, 08:43:23 pm »
Dankie julle   :lol8:  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3453 on: October 11, 2018, 09:18:56 pm »
Got these pics from another keep photographer and like it!

Such a nice angle of the SA Agulhas 2. I had pictures like that in mind but got to distracted on the way back to the ship.

One can always learn from other - great compositions.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3454 on: October 11, 2018, 09:23:32 pm »
That oke with the 'kortbroek' is TVB  :)

Goodnight

We are from midnight back on SA time

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Fleet Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: October 11, 2018, 09:23:55 pm »
Fantastic photo's! Really great to see the ship at such a close angle.

Tom, strongs. It will be fine in the end. If it isn't fine ... then it isn't the end :lol8:

We all wish you all the best, and will help you as best we can :thumleft:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Stormer

• Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: October 12, 2018, 08:16:10 am »
I am sure that by the time that you read this you will be back in SA.

In one of your previous post you mentioned something about and after thought extension to the ship that causes it to ride differently. Is it the piece that is sticking out at the back in this photo that looks like it is hanging in the air?

"While the Swiss may have invented the clock it’s good old Mama Africa that owns the time." - Kingsley Holgate - Afrika The Outside Edge

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3457 on: October 12, 2018, 10:35:40 am »
I just checked because it felt like we did loose speed and now I can sense we are moving faster again.
Eta has now indeed changed from 6 to 9am, and it is not confirmed weather we did get permision/space at the customs  (near) bearth. Then after customs we need another pilot to come around to East Pier where there apparently will not be an official welcome other that the Antarctic legacy hoping to seethe team.

Some of us (me include) got permision to stay (sleep) on the ship having to leave Tuesday morning.

Thinking of bookin a flight back for Tuesday but will wait till Monday just incase something comes up.

Ri will meet me at some stage tomorrow morning and then we plan a brunch which is now more like a lunch looking at time - maybe some WD's can join and that would be nice.
I then very quickly need to go into Absa at waterfront and get a new banking card because mine expired a year ago. Later I can buy a sim card somewhere in waterfront and hope they can richa it for me otherwise I cant get phone up and running.

We just got our bar accounts and waiting now to go and settle. Liquir is cheap on the ship and despite buying for a friend here and there it came to R234 which is not bad. Got enough cash (Thanks that you sent me cash Ri)
Tonight is a cash bar an I will just have a beer.
Here is a picture of pricing:

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: October 12, 2018, 01:07:23 pm »
Hey Tom!.... It was lekker to read of your "little joll" on Gough.
Now that you're nearly back home, don't hesitate to contact me if you're wanting to tour in the KZN midlands a bit. The WD's are always willing to accommodate you if  needs be.

Take it easy for a while.... I'm sure it'll take some time to re "aclimatise'.......
Welcome Home! :thumleft: :thumleft:

I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3459 on: October 12, 2018, 06:28:44 pm »
Dankie Tommy  :thumleft:

Look who is hitching a hike on the SA Agulhas 2 - poor pigeon is tired.

Remeber what I said the other day at Tristan da Cunha Island; the swell is more than 2meter but the pictures tells a different story.
Well we are in windy and choppy sea an you can tell from the waves breaking over the stern but it still looks fairly flat  :)