Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 237963 times)

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3460 on: October 12, 2018, 06:42:13 pm »
 :) Where on earth did  that Pigeon come from
Rallye

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3461 on: October 12, 2018, 06:47:27 pm »
:) Where on earth did  that Pigeon come from

Probably from another ship, then tried to fly back and SA Agulhas appears in the distance...it is my only explanation budd.
You can see he is rather tired

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: October 12, 2018, 06:54:49 pm »
Mate of fine is a pigeon fancier  must be one of his as he is all ways losing pigeons  ;)
Rallye

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: October 12, 2018, 07:43:31 pm »
Looks like a kranskakker / rock pigeon to me?!
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3464 on: October 12, 2018, 11:22:46 pm »
Correct. He dit leave late afternoon again....weird sighting

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: October 13, 2018, 07:28:24 am »
Welkom terug ... amper  :thumleft:

Daai gesig van tafelberg wat so uit die see verskyn bly maar mooi
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:29:28 am by 1ougat »
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3466 on: October 13, 2018, 07:37:34 am »
Thanks all!

Almost back. Can't say I am dissapointed in the communication (or lack of that) but then eta is "back on track" and we riding the highwater like cowboys and then it is back to 6am. Well I was up at 5 and nothing. Went to run in the gym and wash clothes...now I can see "Gordonsbay/Strand area.
By the look of it we will enter the harbour at the customs beartg around 9 and maybe an hour to 2 hours later come round to moor at east pierre.

I hope nobody made plans, but it seems in shipping terms (at least in SA) things happens in days rather than the hour.

Offline RrP

« Reply #3467 on: October 13, 2018, 08:40:05 am »
Welcome back Tom this has been an epic "trip" thank you for sharing.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3468 on: October 13, 2018, 08:46:05 am »
Thanks all. We as moving in on immugration side now. Heart is beating in my neck.   Feels weird

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: October 13, 2018, 08:54:28 am »
WELCOME HOME TOM :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
For the love of it.

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: October 13, 2018, 09:45:54 am »
Welcome back!
Stop stressing, you have climbed bigger mountains than the one you feel in front off you!
If you need help, just shout! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3471 on: October 13, 2018, 10:25:46 am »
Thanks all

The first minibus has arrived to take 11 passangers at a time to immigrations. If all goes well another hour and then we sail around the corner to South Pierre.

Maybe at 12 (hope )

Just had a whatsapp talk with Ri, they are waiting for me

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3472 on: October 13, 2018, 12:03:14 pm »
Pok things are slow and everyone grumpy becauae the sea had a good go at us las night. At 1am I got up and unpacked the cuboards removed all hangers.
You could hear things falling all over the show.

Well at 5 I thought to take sunrise pictures over CT but nou land in sight so I went running lekker half asleep on treadmill and jumped into the sauna. Pok I see all red droopy eys around....not only me that had a hard time sleeping.

Customs with 1 x expired passport and 1 x never been used passport valid til Feb 21 but I have a baby face there. Even shaved off my beard and still the agent said 'NOPE, not you. Now you know 'friends' behind me in the line....pok man...all sort of comments like 'corruption and blow the wistle'

Bliksems....what if this guy did not chap me back? I am a bit gatvol now sitting on a rock in the sea.

All good now. Waiting for the last immigration people and then the harbour pilot and tug. Not that the Agullas need any of that with the impresive bow trusters.

Ok so Ri and friends are having another coffee and I hope to see them in the next 30min (touch wood)

Captain even made a pi call himaelf now for everyone that did not go to cuatoma yet should do so now. I think he is also now gatvol.

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: October 13, 2018, 12:27:30 pm »
We are currently in a very weird swell. I know a bit about weather and the sea but this it weird.
I immediately became aware that the ship is rising a bit higher and then sort of walloping (shit spellcheck says there is a word like that  :peepwall: )
Sometimes you feel complet weightless, and at times you feel rather heavy.
The jerky movements however is not something I have ever experienced on either this ship nor the old Agulhas. Obviously nothing wrong, just weird and unlike the previous ship were I was welcome to go to the bridge at any time and keep the watch company we are not allowed to do so on this ship.
I have therefore lost a bit of touch with my shipping vocabulary, and all things interesting that i was always eager to hear and learn about.
Would have been interesting to hear weather they have changed the pitch of the props now to cope with this changing rhythm.

On another note I do feel down today. I think the closer we get to CT the more reality starts to sink in and I feel somehow nervous. Just had coffee and my hands are actually trembling a bit. I keep on playing it in my mind how it must be to walk back into my family and friends life. The last 2 years the only connection was through cyber space, and finally it is just a few weeks away. I always had this thing where I am a bit self conscious but today it is annoyingly to the extend where I keep doing checks on me self weather I am properly dressed and so on. Shit I am going to escape to the gym now and hope the treadmill is open, en then the sauna. I am rather nervous and its not nice.

:'( :'( :'(

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3474 on: October 13, 2018, 05:53:57 pm »
I owe Ri and Jaques after today, since they were just so patient  :eek7:

It is with sadness that I write this, but I was embarrassed today as ambassador for our beloved country and the most respected and well known scientific ship (fact  :3some: ) in the world.

So many things went wrong, and people got sunburned waiting for us while we lied moored opposite the immigrations berth. While they are waiting the guys that are in charge of the berth ropes were having their lunch hour  :'( (for real I kid you not) and the on a slow pass everything continued.
Our well respected British scientific guests were rightfully also a bit gatvol at some stage.
We got delayed for hours - what normally should take less than 1,5 hours were now literally a whole day.
The final straw was when some deckhands had to setup the safety ropes and net at gangplank. Pok man where are the days when seamen knew how to make knots....even I can still remember and make with a blindfold a simple double-hitch which is 100% for what they had to put in place.
In the meantime there are people in a hurry to catch flights and so on, but ok enough ranting.....sorry  :patch: :peepwall:

Ri you are a star, and thanks Jaques (another WD) for standing at Ri side patiently waiting this out and then treating me (refused to take my 'rediscovered rands) to a lekker saladly calamari at Q4.

Ri was the main link between Wild dogs like Xpat, Rodlau, Woody1, and before one accidentally slip my mind I'l rather say all the rest of you kind people. You gave my live much more meaning on Gough Island for 2 years. I respect you all.

Now back on SA Agulhas 2 without a bankcard and simcard but luckly the internet is not turned off yet.
Monday morning I'll go see the people I need to see in HQ and then I'll go to the ABSA and ask them for a new bankcard and a proof of address so that I can buy and richa a phone sim card.

Once again thanks for the support

I will respond to the thread answering any questions - maybe someone else want to give the project a go?
Look at 'sanap.ac.za'
Even salaries got better in the meanwhile especially for some positions, so who knows - give it a go if you have a lot of energy to burn in a great project.

Yes the project is not without its flaws, but I get some gooseflesh when someone say SANAP and SA Agulhas next to me......what a love affair it is!

This is however the end wrt me and overwintering on the islands. A takeover or to go down during a crisis for a few months yes, but other than that; it done.

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: October 13, 2018, 06:14:20 pm »
thanks Tom for your wonderful insights into life at the almost bottom of the world,surely a book must be in the works :peepwall:
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3476 on: October 13, 2018, 06:42:57 pm »
Thanks Landyman

I never got a pic of us 3 Wd's

Ri did sent me these pics though:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3477 on: October 14, 2018, 12:07:31 am »
Warm and clear sky over Table Mountain :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3478 on: October 14, 2018, 12:41:24 am »
Last thing on my mind was photography and I halfheartedly just got a few 'happy snappies' as we moved from the immigrations to the South Pierre berth.

Coming home is not always easy, and going away is always a tad harder.

Goodnight  :)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: October 14, 2018, 03:32:07 am »
Welcome home Tom.

Take it easy for a while, adjust slowly back into the "civilisation" that is SA.

And Ri, thank you again for taking such good care of my very good friend. You are a STAR  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.