Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 312453 times)

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3560 on: November 17, 2018, 07:10:38 am »
All the best   :thumleft: :thumleft:
Rallye

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3561 on: November 17, 2018, 12:52:58 pm »
Lol rock that exam!!  :imaposer: You'll so well, this is recent experience for you
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3562 on: November 20, 2018, 06:37:35 pm »
 :3some: Never learned so hard in my life, but it paid off

Phew....now I need a looong beer

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #3563 on: November 20, 2018, 06:52:09 pm »
Congrats  :wav:
Rallye

Offline Xpat

« Reply #3564 on: November 20, 2018, 06:56:03 pm »
:3some: Never learned so hard in my life, but it paid off

Phew....now I need a looong beer

Great job!  :thumleft:

I have sent you an email.

Offline Gypsybaron

• My mind is like an eight lane highway - gridlocked!
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pick a direction, not a destination, and ride!
« Reply #3565 on: November 20, 2018, 07:22:19 pm »
Lekker man, nou mag jy darem weer vir die volgende 2 jaar mense se harte jumpstart, lyk dit my
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis - Three Wooden Crosses

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3566 on: November 20, 2018, 07:46:09 pm »
Baie geluk!
Ek was oortuig dat jy dit sou maak!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3567 on: November 20, 2018, 08:48:24 pm »
Thanks guys. One of my worries was that if I do get a change to go to SANAE I may lose my spot to another medic/driver just because my ACLS expired recently while still on Gough Island.
All my 'CPD points' are gone due to my 2 years on Gough, and I needed to earn these points urgently because we get audeted by the Health professions council of SA. Not having enough points and you are not allowed to practise.

All of this in place due to the medical field where medical science and technology keeps on evolving and one thing is certain in this field (maybe all fields?) and that is change.

So now I am ready and 'legal' to continue to wherever the road may lead. I did see some beautiful images of Gough Island today taken by Chris and Michelle Jones and I briefly (very briefly) missed the Island. One thing is certain, no matter how strong my love for Gough Island but I do not intend going back there anytime soon. Maybe if the RSPB ask me to be part of the mouse eradication (working directly for them) for 3-4 months, but I can't see myself within an overwintering team on Gough Island again.

So I suppose this thread is like a football match far into 'injury time', and serve no purpose wrt Gough Island and Tom's story any longer.
I think it's time to say goodbey to 'TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland'  :3some:

Thank you Woody1 for initiating this thread a few years back - It has been great and a privilege to share, and the audience was the best!

If I do get 'SANAE' takeover, or (better) a camp manager/house keeping manager/seismic or demining medic....even security somewhere on a remote site...Africa, Middle East or wherever it may be I will start a new thread.

If you happen to get any leads on work for me, please pm me.

Thank you all once again, it has been a good road  :thumleft:

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #3568 on: November 20, 2018, 09:04:56 pm »
Congratulations  TVB.  Please don't close  this thread , perphaps change the title a bit...... to Life after Gough.  :sip:
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Suzukli DL

« Reply #3569 on: November 21, 2018, 04:26:46 am »
Well done Tom !!!!
See, you are awesome  :biggrin:

Online Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #3570 on: November 21, 2018, 06:27:06 am »
Geluk TOm!
MAar luister nou dat jy geslaag het, ek het so n snaakse knop hier op my nek....
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

The following users thanked this post: drewdza, Tom van Brits

Offline Philemon

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My pack
« Reply #3571 on: November 21, 2018, 07:02:42 am »
Well done Tom on getting the paperwork up to date.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble for sharing your time at Gough with us, for teaching us about the various wildlife on the island.

If it was not for your posts, most of us would never have learnt anything about Gough Island.

All the best and thanks for sharing things with us for the last few years.

I look forward to hearing about your next venture.

:)  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.                 .  .  .  .  .  Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3572 on: November 21, 2018, 07:26:10 am »
Well done Tom on getting the paperwork up to date.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble for sharing your time at Gough with us, for teaching us about the various wildlife on the island.

If it was not for your posts, most of us would never have learnt anything about Gough Island.

All the best and thanks for sharing things with us for the last few years.

I look forward to hearing about your next venture.

:)  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Appreciate your post  :thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #3573 on: November 21, 2018, 07:28:27 am »
Sal ek die NAAM verander  :thumleft: :3some:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3574 on: November 21, 2018, 08:39:28 am »
Sal ek die NAAM verander  :thumleft: :3some:

Baas Kobus I think we can leave the thread like it is, as some people are still sharing and finding the thread by a search.
I have recently received a mail from someone discovering the thread.
I will defiantly start a new thread on whatever is next`  :thumleft:

One of our Wd friends is almost done with training now to go for a year to SANAE. He has bought a good camera and I hope he will start a thread.
He will experience the same internet difficulties as we did, and may even use Ri as well at times to update his thread (should he start it)

Can I please ask everyone that happen to read the thread keep an eye and ear for work:

I am 50, fit and thankfully still healthy. In no specific order I am interested in the following:

- Remote site experienced house keeping camp manager (this job title can have many names but it comes down to setting up and or maintaining a facility where contract workers may live. It may be safari tents or containers, even permanent structures and I can do and manage the purcurement of food, fuel, manage power generators, kitchen, laundry and also maintain (and mostly fix myself if need be) plumbing, basic electricity, and more. The bonus here is that I am also a medic with vast remote site experience and can take care mostly on site of patients while acting as camp manager.

- Demining and or seismic field medic Years of experience and strong points is early identification and treatment of tropical diseases, cardio vascular incidents, good knowledge of primary healthcare and stabilisation of other patients.

- Operational medic Security PSD - Iraq and Afghanistan experienced and willing to go back if opperturnety avail.

- Handyman I can fix, repair and replace/refit many items - Flexible and willing to learn new skills

- Any contracts, even seasonal like: Farmwork (harvesting in USA/Aus and other Countries where needed), construction work or even seasonal contracts at sea.

I know the above may look a bit confusing, but the short is 'I am flexible, adapt and do anything'

In a perfect world I would have preferred to do camp management or related work, with the aditional skill level as a medic.
In fact, I would have loved to stop working as a medic and use my medic skills and experience just when needed.
My love for helping people would not allow me to drop my medical licence, and therefore I maintain to remain registered with the HPCSA.

My weak point: I cannot sell anything to people. I cannot 'rep' a product unless the product is secure and I need to maintain the customers service etc on this.
English is my second language, I am still learning to better my English but I do not experience trouble in communicating with people.

My strong point: I am loyal and can work under pressure.

Please keep an ear and let me know either here or via pm if you happen to see something relevant.
Thanks  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Phillip Flap

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #3575 on: November 24, 2018, 06:02:44 am »
Aai Tom. Ek skryf nie baie en het nie altyd kommentaar op goed hier nie, maar dink jy moet maar aangaan met die draad tot tyd en wyl. Dis nie nusskierigheid war my hiernatoe lok nie..... Dis is nou net al nou so deel van, baie van ons ae doen dinge om hier te lpm lees.

Neem aan jy praat van Ou Prop (Jacques) wat koue eiland toe gaan. Obs het so bietjie dag terug die gesprek gehad oor n verslag/gesels thread wat hy moet begin. Hoop werklik dit realiseer ten spyte van die omstandighede.

Laastens. Baie geluk met die suksesvolle kursus. Jy het beslis meer guts as ek. Daai laaaang bier was welverdiend. Cheers

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8
2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #3576 on: November 26, 2018, 02:39:36 am »
Baie geluk met die ACLS Tom, dit sit nie in sommer enige ou se broek om daai ene deur te kom nie.

Ek's moerse trots op jou man!

Soos vaalbaas se, hou solank aan met die fred, laat ons kan weet hoe dinge met jou gaan man.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3577 on: November 26, 2018, 06:26:32 am »
Thanks all :)

This is the week that I will hear if I am going or not. SANAEAntarctica

If that doesn't come down I'll go on a trip of sort and start getting the CV out all over.
Let's see, there is still hope.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3578 on: November 26, 2018, 03:40:28 pm »
Just heard I did not make it into the SANAE voyage.

This is sadly the end of the line for my contract career with SANAP.  :'(

I need a break now. However promised my bf to look after her house and dogs while she is away with her family in Disney land.
Need to be there from next week and Wednesday.
I feel like a solo Sani trip and to make a turn at the blind girl in Winkelspruit. Visit them a few days and come back.
Can't help but yes I am sad...guess most dreams are just that. Dreams.
I came close.
Time to move on now.  :)

Please keep an ear for camp management/house keeping or relevant position
Thanks

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #3579 on: November 26, 2018, 03:53:51 pm »
Ai ou Tom, dis nou 'n k@k een daai.   :o :(

Sit dit agter jou rug en gaan aan.  Maak 'n behoorlike breuk, een na Namibia.  Vat jou kamera saam en geniet jouself vir ten minste 2 na 3 weke.  Jy weet nooit, miskien slaan jy nog iets uit met een van die toergroepe daar. 

Sterkte vir die toekoms en hou jou kop hoog.   :thumleft: :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..