Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 280938 times)

Offline Gypsybaron

• My mind is like an eight lane highway - gridlocked!
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pick a direction, not a destination, and ride!
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #3640 on: February 06, 2019, 12:28:19 pm »

Strange thing is, I am a soft spoken person and dont find it hard (in my view) to hear but ok they are the experts.

It's not how loud someone needs to speak, but whether you can hear certain frequencies - you might be able to hear the high-pitched whine of the alarm, but not be able to hear the low bass of a truck approaching / fog horn blowing.

I can hear very well, except when my wife says:" take out the trash"  :biggrin:
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis - Three Wooden Crosses

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3641 on: February 06, 2019, 12:57:34 pm »
The induction is a thriller  :o

Normal induction in the industry is around 3 hours but not at the mines.
Day 5 for me, although I admit day 1 was full medical which include a baseline hearing test and apparently I sort of failed that hearing test but to the extent where they still declare me fit for work but made a note of my hearing issue.
They asked me if I did military service and if I was exposed to gunfire :lol8:
Strange thing is, I am a soft spoken person and dont find it hard (in my view) to hear but ok they are the experts.
I am currently busy with the rush assessment part and once done they will unlock my access card and then I may start working.
At this stage just costing me money and I am a bit demoralized, maybe because I thought it will be quick and easy and I'll just commence working and then got to meet the 'system'. But ok, I am the one with the hat in hand, and almost through and my spirit should lift when they book me for my first shift which maybe coming Friday.
So relieved I did net let go of my bike, the 36km commute at 30km/l on the NC helps a bit, and the Tkc on the front helps a lot on the last bit which is sometimes quite muddy.

The owner of HEMS is just a great guy, doing his best to assist. They are an excellent EMS company, the best in the private sector and it is a proud moment to be part of them albeit only as ADHOC
that is pretty kak, our guys all get paid for time spent doing induction and Medicals
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3642 on: February 06, 2019, 12:58:09 pm »
Are you contracted to HEMS and then sub-contracted to the mines? Is this 'n longterm contract or only for a few months at a time?

I was under the impression it was permanent, and that the mines would be paying you for the induction they make you go through.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3643 on: February 06, 2019, 01:05:36 pm »
Are you contracted to HEMS and then sub-contracted to the mines? Is this 'n longterm contract or only for a few months at a time?

I was under the impression it was permanent, and that the mines would be paying you for the induction they make you go through.
the induction and onboarding medicals are standard practice, with an offboarding medical at the end to stop spurious medical claims later. 😎
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3644 on: February 06, 2019, 04:23:14 pm »

the induction and onboarding medicals are standard practice, with an offboarding medical at the end to stop spurious medical claims later. 😎

Correct

@Ri unfortunately it is not a permanent job. Maybe I gave the impression because I was excited and a bit overwhelmed. I still am despite the slow start...I never knew mining employees had to go through such a lot of prep before you can actually start work! They are very strict, and the safety boots even have 'meta guards'

Rhovan is a Vanadium mine, open pit but the plant is rather dangerous with various mechanical/Electrical/furnace equipment.

I am working shifts for HEMS only when they need to fill a space. It is 24 hour shifts, 8 hours in the mines Clinic and then standby for emergencies but there is a container with a bed and air on so one is aloud to sleep during the night and they will phone if they need a paramedic.
Not subcontracted to the mine: The mine pays HEMS to provide a service and I get booked and paid by HEMS although the agreement is to work on the mine as a medical contractor.
Hope that makes sense? Payment only starts when my card is unlocked and when I start doing my official work.

Today I also had to ride to Preroria Irene to a company called Lymay for a jumpsuit (EMS one piece fire retardant uniform)
They measured me and said it will only be done in 3 weeks, they have backlogs so I will probably have to borrow a uniform from one of the permanent guys.

I do not know how longstanding the contract is with the mine, but I can see that the relationship between the EMS company and mine is healthy, so I suppose it will just roll on.
The owner did tell me yesterday afternoon that he will help me with shift that should buy me time to find something better. The way I see it; take care of this and give my best overall. If I dont get something more permanent with them I'll get a break in life at the least and a good reference.

Got nothing to complain about, life is getting better again  :)

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3645 on: February 06, 2019, 07:15:33 pm »
You certainly have the right attitude, and as you say, this can lead to other, more permanent things.

HEMS gets and outstanding paramedic, and you get a foot in the door and a chance to look around.
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Master Beerkie

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Master Beerkie
« Reply #3646 on: February 07, 2019, 07:24:17 am »
Hi Tom - for info ad published in the Pretoria News yesterday

A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.

Presently: KH250, GT550, KLE500, 620 Duke, 950 Adv
Previously: TS185 (plaasbike), PE250, 420KDX, 450KDX, 600 Pantah, 1000 Jota (180°), XRV 750

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3647 on: February 07, 2019, 07:36:20 am »
Hi Tom - for info ad published in the Pretoria News yesterday

:o Joh the medical orderly salary is now proper!! Should get around R32k a month after tax deduction.
They should get many ALS medics lining up for the position, since way too many are currently asking for job leads all over fb.
It is also the mouse eradication year which will make things very interesting on Gough. A year I wouldn't mind participating in due to all the activities. It will be hectic but very very interesting and good year.
I do not qualify anymore, but still love the island and hope they find very good candidates.
It seems that the program is getting renewed attention which is good.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3648 on: February 07, 2019, 03:23:04 pm »
Interesting that the comms/electronics guy earns about double what the rest earn. Pity I don't know how to communicate. :P

Online Takashi

« Reply #3649 on: February 07, 2019, 04:55:25 pm »
Interesting that the comms/electronics guy earns about double what the rest earn. Pity I don't know how to communicate. :P

Not a lot of people with electronic engineering degree and radio communications experience. (I have both and it is a very small field)
Knowing how/when to get good comms on HF as well as being able to fix radios, antennas.

Guessing experience in satellite uplink ext.

I would not mind going to Gough for a rotation.... Maybe send out the CV and see what happens.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3650 on: February 07, 2019, 06:33:21 pm »

Not a lot of people with electronic engineering degree and radio communications experience. (I have both and it is a very small field)
Knowing how/when to get good comms on HF as well as being able to fix radios, antennas.

I would not mind going to Gough for a rotation.... Maybe send out the CV and see what happens.

You are 100% correct.
Go onto the website and complete a Z83 if you interested.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3651 on: February 07, 2019, 06:44:21 pm »

You are 100% correct.
Go onto the website and complete a Z83 if you interested.

Would be wonderful if you can give some updates on the mice eradication programme. And if you like it, maybe you can apply for Marion next :peepwall:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3652 on: February 12, 2019, 08:16:53 pm »
Live is way too slow for me currently, and hard to stay positive and focused all the time. To top it all I had my first flue in years, luckily only briefly but was also rather pap due to a self-inflicted bad lifestyle of overtraining and malnutrition due to my almost obsession to lose more weight.

The good thing is; I will soon be on the support crew as medic for 3 weeks on a tour with a great company and it will be the first paying job since I'm back - Oct last year.

Private ambulance service/Mine medical work: I have done all the training and induction required, but also need a special jumpsuit (like a babygrow but for grown men  :lol8:  ) and the uniform will only be available in another 2 weeks time. So we have agreed that I will start doing mine shifts once I am back from the tour (Around 17/18 March)

Live is all about choices, and being positive I thought that I'll be sorted by now with work and last year when my bonus paid out I bought some camera gear and a few nice to have's. So bleddy unnecessary because I have hardly used it and it just put that little bit more pressure on me.
Sometimes I wonder where did it all go wrong, I used to be more sensible with money and my ex always preferred me working my magic with the budged.
Maybe I need a 'kwaai vrou'  :peepwall: to slap some sense into me brain....

Anyway, all will be good soon I trust  :) :laughing4:

Someone in the department of Environmental affairs (I don't want to mention the name) asked me yesterday if I will consider to apply for the medical orderly on Gough position. I asked about the age restriction and apparently there is nothing in writing yet, other than the old longstanding 55year old expedition member age limit.
I asked about the raised bar (qualification) and apparently old medics that have done the various training before with the SA Navy and at 2 Mil still qualify, as long as you have ACLS which I have only recently done.

I had a long and hard thought, and could not fall asleep till the morning hours. Then I got up and ran 10km's in the rain, it was raining the whole hour but my focus and mind was elsewhere. Fark people, I would have loved to be part of the mouse eradication team as for real.....but I just feel in a way I had enough. I would so love to be able to make this choice with a clear mind, in other words without pressure like thinking 'you need work and money to survive'
I dont really know if they will take me onboard, but it will be bad style to apply for the job and then to withdraw at a later stage if I do happen to go through.

So honestly; I don't know what to do. Although one have to apply now (only a short window) they will only start with interviews at around June and appoint for training July.
I am a bit stuck at this stage  :lol8:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3653 on: February 12, 2019, 09:59:33 pm »
Seriously, please stop loosing weight, you are starting to look like a biltong :o

You are looking good, but please don't take it too far. Body dysmorphia also affects men, and frankly we're too old to deal with that sh!t. Go practice taking action shots. Haven't seen a single one! Instead of running the park run, why don't you marshal for a change, and improve your photographic techniques.

As to the unnecessary expenses ... forget about it, it's done. Take the equipment and make it work for you. Can you take some of it along on the tour you're doing? I'm guessing you'll be in a 4x4 rather than on a bike? Think of the fantastic photo's you'll be able to take :drif:

Strongs on your decision about Gough. If you feel you're done with Gough, close that door and move on. Personally I feel if they want you back, they should offer at least double salary and pay you double bonus as well. And give you an office job when you come back - not many people know as much about keeping Gough going, as you do :imaposer:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:00:08 pm by Ri »

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #3654 on: February 13, 2019, 08:21:56 am »
it will be the first paying job since I'm back - Oct last year.

I thought that I'll be sorted by now with work and last year when my bonus paid out I bought some camera gear and a few nice to have's. So bleddy unnecessary because I have hardly used it and it just put that little bit more pressure on me.

Someone in the department of Environmental affairs (I don't want to mention the name) asked me yesterday if I will consider to apply for the medical orderly on Gough position.

I had a long and hard thought,
Fark people, I would have loved to be part of the mouse eradication team as for real.....but I just feel in a way I had enough.
I would so love to be able to make this choice with a clear mind, in other words without pressure like thinking 'you need work and money to survive'

So honestly; I don't know what to do.

Don't know you or your position so just responding on the info I have.
Recall you had a tough time without work until you got the job on the island.
Now after a short period you are financially stressing about not starting the new job early enough.
Do you really want to do that to yourself again?
Mouse eradication can't be that important. Financially it does not sound lucrative. 
What else can there be in this job to put you through the same stress.

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #3655 on: February 13, 2019, 10:23:22 am »

I thought that I'll be sorted by now with work and last year when my bonus paid out I bought some camera gear and a few nice to have's. So bleddy unnecessary because I have hardly used it and it just put that little bit more pressure on me.

Someone in the department of Environmental affairs (I don't want to mention the name) asked me yesterday if I will consider to apply for the medical orderly on Gough position.

Fark people, I would have loved to be part of the mouse eradication team as for real.....but I just feel in a way I had enough.
I would so love to be able to make this choice with a clear mind, in other words without pressure like thinking 'you need work and money to survive'

Now after a short period you are financially stressing about not starting the new job early enough.
Mouse eradication can't be that important. Financially it does not sound lucrative. 

agreed

Tom your issue is not with decision-making/confusion but with sticking to your plans.  Your plan was to start a photographic business to earn an income while enjoying your hobby and getting a return on your investment and skills development.  How is this progressing?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3656 on: February 13, 2019, 12:44:42 pm »

agreed

Tom your issue is not with decision-making/confusion but with sticking to your plans.  Your plan was to start a photographic business to earn an income while enjoying your hobby and getting a return on your investment and skills development.  How is this progressing?

Hein since I have made my life public I'll go full length and be 100% honest

Some may be lost in translation but I think it is rather simple.
I am only good in communication skills when it concerns my work and and past experiences related to my work which comes from a career in the Emergency medical and fire/rescue services and then working in demining, seismic and security and the best; remote site camp management.

I unfortunately do not have the best peoples skills and although I love people and am without exception always warm and welcome I often find myself lonely in groups of people.
I'll always end up somewhere on the side just observing the scene and leave early.

I cant sell anything, I have tried a couple of times and actually lost quite a considerable amount of money due to that.
I can deliver a service, but always undercut myself.

Why? I dont know. I just end up giving stuff away and when people say they cant pay me I just so; ok dont worry and walk away.

Maybe this is a personality type, or maybe it's just me and it seems people have great difficulty to try and understand why I cant 'make it' but then when I do get a job (like on the island) I rise and come to my right being either a leader or always playing a worthy role.

I actually went to a school near my home to see the office personell and to ask permission to photograph athletes but never got further than the parking lot.

Dreams are not a bad thing but at this stage I dream my life away and nothing is working.
Maybe I got to be more patient. Sometimes I read too much into something, overly positive only to find it is not going to become big (like medical standby shifts)

Back to the island

Anyone with a love for seabirds and who has been following the devastation impact of the mice pest on Gough island will know that it is and absolute priority and long overdue project and finally the RSPB has funds to go ahead.
Therefore it may be an honor for every ex/old islander to be part of this eradication program.
Team dynamics are not so easy anymore on the islands due to some change and young graduates just desperate to saltart work and earning. So you get many people on the islands that are not there because of passion and love for the program but just to start off somewhere and like above advertised salaries, the pay is very good!

Me applying again is not only for survival, but to do my bit for the seabirds and island. No idea if I stand a change because there is some confusion wrt 'if I still qualify' but I'll submit a Z83 and CV tomorrow, and will keep looking for work in the meantime. It will still be months before I hear from them but the application period is a very short window, so cant harm to submit my application and see.

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #3657 on: February 13, 2019, 01:29:44 pm »
Tom I understand :thumleft:  good luck with wherever life takes you :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3658 on: February 14, 2019, 06:36:40 pm »
Your honesty towards yourself is a very good trait to have.
I can inderstand your passion for the seabirds as it came through in your stories and photo's.
Remember whatever you do, you have a lot of people believing in you!
You are wise with your money, more so than most, so do not get depressed!
If all else fails you know where to get a place to sleep and plate of food, so do not stress!
Good luck and you will see everything will turn out well!
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3659 on: February 14, 2019, 07:40:25 pm »
Your honesty towards yourself is a very good trait to have.
I can inderstand your passion for the seabirds as it came through in your stories and photo's.
Remember whatever you do, you have a lot of people believing in you!
You are wise with your money, more so than most, so do not get depressed!
If all else fails you know where to get a place to sleep and plate of food, so do not stress!
Good luck and you will see everything will turn out well!

Thanks for the kind words Oubones

Last night an old contract boss contacted me and gave me an address and said 'go'
Well I immediately made work and today reference checks were done (dankie baas Kobus)
Tomorrow is a Skype interview and then I should get a good idea where I stand.
Excited, nervous and hopeful. This is something I would love to do, maybe the break I was looking for!

Now relieved that I haven't yet submitted my G65 application, although is is ready to post.
The DEA does not accept any email applications, it needs to be posted or hand delivered.
Maybe to narrow down the high volume of applicants....cant tell.

So let's see how it goes tomorrow, I have no idea what they may ask and need to work on it now.
It has been quite a while since my last interview!  :)