Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 356083 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4240 on: December 05, 2019, 06:17:06 pm »
And today was awesome; I met Sardine since she was flying to Lanseria and I also brought her something she has ordered in the states and something from the Zog family.

We wanted to go on a hiking trail but unfortunately because of the rain the river level rised and that was a no go.
So instead we decided on a meeting point in Harties, then a 3km run to the damwal and back again where we enjoyed a coffee and lekker chat!

That is something I love about the forum, so many great people!  :3some:
I have followed her 'African dream' thread for years and finally we met in person. She has taken a few pics which I'll share here :)

So good meeting you Heather; blue skies!  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:27:56 pm by Tom van Brits »

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #4241 on: December 05, 2019, 08:10:01 pm »
Nice

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #4242 on: December 05, 2019, 09:51:10 pm »
Coooooool! Another mini thread collision, I love it :biggrin:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4243 on: December 06, 2019, 09:03:37 am »
Nice one, guys!

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4244 on: December 06, 2019, 09:40:10 am »
Wies daai dogtertjie langs jou op die foto Tom?!! ;) :peepwall: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4245 on: December 06, 2019, 02:47:45 pm »
Wies daai dogtertjie langs jou op die foto Tom?!! ;) :peepwall: 8:
Chris Heather has still got the advantage of youth on her side, humble but in my opinion successful and living life!
We may do one final run tomorrow morning before she flies back to the Easten Cape.

Last couple of days I literally turned my nights and days around. Was busy with online applications for farmwork. I thought the agents will start recruiting early Feb since the first contracts opend up in March but nope they needed it now. I think (hope) I stand a good change to land another contract because of truck driving experience: Cdl but lets see.....

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:49:40 pm by Tom van Brits »

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4246 on: December 06, 2019, 04:35:44 pm »
Tom, sy laat jou sommer goed lyk.
Dit is altyd vir my lekker wanneer Wd's tyd maak om saam dinge te doen.
Ons kan iets leer daar! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4247 on: December 08, 2019, 09:35:52 am »
Sometimes I'm thinking of getting rid of even more baggage. When I hit an obstacle in life I had to get rid of a lot of stuff to the extend where I was not feeling comfy to invite friends to my home. However, I have recovered from that but still keep or try to keep (and buy) only what is necessary in my life. The itch will always be there, most mens weak points are tools ......I always find myself wandering around in the tool isles in super stores like Makro  :lol8:

Just baking some traditional cinnamon pancakes this morning thinking maybe a tad too deep. A post Mr Zog made about the guy selling the fast food next to the beach got me thinking of yet a simpler life. Do I need all this? Sometimes a simple life in a small caravan in a small beach town sounds romantic, selling pancakes & Vetkoek or whatever. Maybe I'm just having a moment. Miss the island these days a lot having a look at the albatross and penguin pictures, and also with the idea that I may 'have to' return to the states to do farmwork......it makes me feel that I am missing out on life. I love farms, and have been all my life but the 14+ hour days are hard and leave you with little to no time for anything else.

Maybe I also feel like this because my lower back complains a bit  :) but let's see. Will need to check it out, years and years of working in akward positions and carrying patients in the EMS have contributed to this.
They are already busy recruiting for 2020 farming season and I just started to fill forms with yet another agent. You got to have many lines in the water, and who knows, one may land on a great farm where you are actually farming a bit more like a farmer growing crop and maybe interaction with the farm animals.  Silage is not bad, but it's a constant repetition moving from field to field.

I have also confirmed with 2 agents now, to do commercial trucking in the states you must now have a green card and it is because of liability. Only farming H2A Visas can do 'trucking specific to farming'

Sometimes we complicates life just a bit too much  :)

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4248 on: December 08, 2019, 12:00:21 pm »
I feel a lot like you the last while.
I am seriously busy with scaling down and removing a lot of clutter in my live, from projects, clutter people and things that need my attention and making my live less stressfull.
I met a guy selling biltong at a garage and we got chatting.
He had a big pool company and after working very hard with many responsibilies for many years, now he sells biltong and if he feels like it, he takes a day off to do something.
He is healthier, happier and ironicly he is also financially better off.
I am working towards achieving that.
You just need to keep your head together.
And come and visit me at some stage! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #4249 on: December 09, 2019, 09:13:04 am »
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 02:08:19 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4250 on: December 10, 2019, 02:14:25 pm »
I was at Harties this morning, and what a beautiful sight!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4251 on: December 10, 2019, 02:17:14 pm »
It been a while, and hope this will break the drought in NW a bit! Now if only we can sent off this to the Karoo!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4252 on: December 10, 2019, 02:18:53 pm »
 :)

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4253 on: December 10, 2019, 02:21:22 pm »
Waantoe gaan al daai water nou?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4254 on: December 10, 2019, 02:24:07 pm »
Waantoe gaan al daai water nou?

Roodekopjes dam en Vaalkop dam Chris.

Glo my daai boere juig! Daai dam vlakke was ook al laag en dis hoeka nou plant seisoen vir baie van daai manne.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4255 on: December 10, 2019, 05:24:16 pm »
SA Agulhas 2 is sailing today to Antarctica.

Zack in the far left was with me on Gough 63, he is a meteorologist and a great guy. Some may remember that he has done the second hike with me to the historical Glen.

I have phoned them yesterday to check what my changes were of ever doing another expedition. I was informed that that the age restriction is now in place as well as the bar being raise wrt the medical orderly qualifications. I have still done the inhouse and collage training back in the day, first BAA and later AEA which made me a registered ILS medic. I have also done various rescue and fire fighting courses and fire wise 2 x international accredited courses. However; despite the various extra bold on medical courses like ITLS and ACLS I am still an ILS medic on the Health professions board.

They have upped the qualification now to ECP which is a new 4 year degree. To ECT level in 2 years and then a further 2 to ALS lever ECP.

Ok now I know, and I am finally ready to put it behind me and walk on. Probably stick with farming or whatever comes up, first price still house keeping assistant or manager. I do not qualify for lodge manager positions really, I often apply but they also require qualification (degree +) I did get an offer recently to be a lodge manager in Mpumalanga but not doable at R6k a month. I dont expect dollar rates in SA but also have a live....in the interview they asked me what I am looking at salary wise and I said 'around R18k a month' but we can neg. The interviewer was rather sarcastic with a ' are you out of your mind's remark  :lol8: Well....I also have a life and would like to maintain my normal standard of living......suppose I'll keep looking  :laughing4:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #4256 on: December 10, 2019, 07:06:20 pm »
What happened to that Karoo job Tom?

Do you still want to publish your island album? Must set something up to chat with my son. Im on leave from end of next week.

Offline FanieKrismis

« Reply #4257 on: December 10, 2019, 08:28:23 pm »
Time to let the island go and move on.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #4258 on: December 10, 2019, 09:21:21 pm »
When does the next farming season in the US kick of Tom? You aiming to do that again?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4259 on: December 10, 2019, 09:43:40 pm »
What happened to that Karoo job Tom?

Do you still want to publish your island album? Must set something up to chat with my son. Im on leave from end of next week.

I would love to come over and have a look at your sons work Hein. Yes to the Island album as well, something I need to start working on and would like to hear what you and your son suggest. let's just wait it out for the new year because currently I am trying to find my feet. I admit that I had a couple of real 'sleg' lazy days behind, between filling online applications for the new farming season. Like said; I'm not only focused on the farmwork and looking hard locally for an alternative which may suit me better.

The Karoo tented camp manager position was filled, that is if I am not mistaken the same farm where they host the Africa burn yearly (I am under correction though)

Time to let the island go and move on.

I know mate, and Xpat has advised the same - he became a mentor in a way and I always appreciate his advice but I think somehow I became very attached to the South African national Antarctic program and I couldn't let go out of my own....but yes now it's final.....door shut  :-[ t.

When does the next farming season in the US kick of Tom? You aiming to do that again?

Hi Silvrav, the season opens March but I got a big surprise as the agents are warning us to get all the paperwork submitted including online application. To ensure success or to better your changes at least one got to apply with a minimum of 3 agents and everyone has got different proforma. The process is similar, but all different files and format so you can't just 'copy and paste' either  :lol8:

Look it is by far not first choice to go back farming in the states but I'm very loyal and if I go (Have to go and get selected) I'll give 110%, that's just who I am  :)